Previous topic - Next topic

Are you satisfied Stan Heath?

Yes
No

HogginAllDay&Nite

Oh boy, here comes another "fire our coach" thread...lol
Loyal Razorback Fan Through It All

hogs25

Would it be too much to ask for to run full court press every now and then?  Maybe to try to create a freaking turnover?  This halfcourt intramural ball just ain't cutting it.  Don't even mention that Old Spice Tourn.  If it doesn't work out this year for Stan, could/can we hire Mike Anderson?  I miss 40 Minutes of Hell.  I didn't watch tonight because I didn't know it was on.  That never happend with Nolan even in the last year's.  Sorry for the rant but this style of Hog Ball is freaking boring to watch.

Lando Calrissian

I completely understand the logic behind NOT hiring MA at the time.

But man, the guy can win at UAB and freaking Missou (of all places)...

That was old school Hog Ball by Missou tonight.  Pressure 'D'.  Lots of guys that can stroke the 3.

If this guy ever works his way up to one of the elite D-1 basketball schools then it's over.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

HawgAdvocate

Seriously guys...remember when we ran this from 1996 to 2002? We didn't exactly own college basketball. It all comes down to talent and experience. This wasn't a fair matchup when it came to the press. We don't have experience at the guard position. We basiclly have 4 guards on our team. Ervin, McCurdy, Beverley, and Welsh.

You wonder why our guards were so careless and didn't slow the pace and get the ball inside.

Missouri will get owned by teams with mature guards who know how to manage a ballgame.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Lando Calrissian

But our guards are careless and don't get the ball inside against teams that DON'T play defense, too.

If a simple full court press is all it takes to fluster us then we're in serious trouble.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

LA HAWG

I don't think we would be.  What does that say about Stan?   :puke:

fourthcrusade

Quote from: LA HAWG on December 01, 2006, 06:08:32 am
I don't think we would be.  What does that say about Stan?   :puke:

It says you are one person with an unfounded opnion.  I disagree.

artyhog

YES.  Nolan stopped recruiting.  He did not have much left when Stan got here.

HogFaninGA

I will always has fond memories of Nolan especially during the early 1993-1996 seasons.  I was a student when we won the NC and that was a great time for us students.  Football during that time wasn't anything to write home about especially after the famous Citadel loss.  Nolan made some mistakes and he spoke sometimes from hatred of certain people when he shouldn't have.  The U of A made some mistakes on how they handled the situation as well.  It was probably in the best interest of the U of A and Nolan that they parted ways,  I wish him the best in whatever he does and hopefully over time all these past wounds will heal.

LA HAWG

We had gotten Sullinger and wasn't Igudala coming before Nolan was fired.  Don't get me wrong I don't like Nolan but how is Stan any better?

LA HAWG

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 01, 2006, 06:14:51 am

It says you are one person with an unfounded opnion. 

Ditto

NEAHawgfan

Not a huge Nolan fan, but Stan's horrible. He had one good year.....with somebody elses players at Kent State. He hadn't proved anything about what kind of coach, or recruiter he was. Now he has.

pigfoot

Heath has half of what it takes to be a good coach.  He can recruit.  He needs help in the X and O department.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

3kgthog

In all fairness to Nolan I would've loved to have seen what he would've done with Iguodala. That guy turned into a defensive nightmare at 'Zona and I can only imagine what he would've done playing Nolan's style. He was darn good offensively too. Although I doubt even a guy of that talent level could save a team from the black hole of Larry Satchell, Dionisio Gomez, Alonzo Lane, Rashard Sullivan, etc.

The only point at which those old wounds will heal is once Nolan and JFB are gone from this earth. Nolan won't let it go and neither will Frank. Their egos are too big. A national championship or conference championship from Stan might go a long way to healing things, but that'll never happen.

beebefootballfan

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

Tylerhog

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on November 30, 2006, 11:41:01 pm
I also found myself chuckling a little.  Although I hated the loss, it was nice to see Mike give Frank and the BOT a big ol' middle finger.  Stan and the team can learn from this.  One loss to a very motivated team led by a very good coach who happened to be on a mission isn't disheartening in any way.  How would you like to be a fly on the wall in Nolan's hotel room tonight? 

Was that a love/hate game or what. Must be like when Archie watches Peyton and Eli play each other on Sunday.

Tylerhog

Tired of listening to Nolan whine about race. At one time I would have voted Nolan for President.

Razorsharp

It is to bad that he is not our coach.  He has definitely proven himself to be a great coach.  It however was impossible to hire him after the incident.  I have great memories of what Razorback Basketball used to be and luckily a few tapes so that I can show my sons.  Good Luck Mike!  Hope you win it all.
Hire Gus!

Hogchick

Anyone else chuckle a little watching Mizzou?

No.  I found nothing funny about watching my team get their teeth kicked in.

jorgito

Do you think Mike was thinking, Huh Franky should have hired me? I love Stan Heath, but he was outcoached. I told my wife last night that Mike will have that team to a Final Four in 4 years. Give him 2-3 good recruiting classes to get his type of players. They have a great facility and decent money. I bet Frank will make it where we can't play Mizzou, like he did with any instate team.

wishyjoshy

That game was embarrassing. 

Great win for Mike Anderson.  I am happy for him.

Missouri will win some games, but will get their arses handed to them by a team who is not intimidated by the speed of the game.  Ohio State would THRASH (without Greg Oden) both of those teams that stepped on the floor last night.  UCLA, UNC, Florida, and even Puke would have a field day with that. 

Now that Stan has seen first hand what we have come to expect from our basketball team, maybe he could at the very least have his team prepared to face it.  That press they ran was very simplistic and with an OUNCE of patience, it would have been beaten all night long.

Richcat

Missouri will be a powerhouse!!!  What kid would not want to play that style of basketball!  Plus Mike just cares about basketball and he is hungry...  Not politcal like Nolan, he just wants to coach his and Nolan's style of basketball! 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on December 01, 2006, 03:38:52 am
But our guards are careless and don't get the ball inside against teams that DON'T play defense, too.

If a simple full court press is all it takes to fluster us then we're in serious trouble.

It's all on Ervin...he's got to take control of the team. Heath can't take them aside on every posession and remind them to slow down. Ervin has got to calm hig guys down, run a half-court offense, slow the pace, and make sound decisions when the matchups make it the best decision. He didn't do that last night. He runs the show on the floor. I dont know if Heath gave them the green light to run with Missouri or not. I would hate to think that he did.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

December 01, 2006, 07:39:57 am #74 Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 08:04:05 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: Richcat on December 01, 2006, 07:36:09 am
Missouri will be a powerhouse!!!  What kid would not want to play that style of basketball!  Plus Mike just cares about basketball and he is hungry...  Not politcal like Nolan, he just wants to coach his and Nolan's style of basketball! 

Any team that has 2 veteran guards or solid depth at guard will have an easier time nullifying Missouri's press and play a much sounder game. It's no different when we watched other teams do it to us from 1988 to 2002. Some succeeded, others didn't. Remember the 2001 Hogs-Kentucky SEC tourney game? We were ready, they weren't. Yet, they had a much better season then we did. You can't make a "powerhouse" out of one game where they exposed our inmaturity at guard.

searkhogfan

Yes we would be worse because we would still have NOLAN !!!!!!

I wanted Mike Anderson as Head Coach.  But I'm Damn Glad Nolan's gone........

wishyjoshy

Quote from: Richcat on December 01, 2006, 07:36:09 am
Missouri will be a powerhouse!!!  What kid would not want to play that style of basketball! 

I think that Mizz might make a Final Four appearence or even win a National Title under Mike Anderson - at some point.  But to declare that they will be a Powerhouse is to overlook the history of the Razorback Basketball Program.  Didn't we play EXACTLY like this for many years?  Were we a powerhouse?  Nope.

There is one style of play better than "Controlled Chaos."  It is fundamental basketball.  A team like UNC, Florida, or Ohio State can press you and put as much pressure on you as Missouri.  They don't do it the whole game because they don't have to.  They can shut you down full court and half court.
They are good enough to beat the press over the top or just pass and dribble their way threw it.  When they get to the other end of the floor, they will stop and execute and get a good shot. 

That will beat Missouri 9 times out of 10.

Dugann

About as much as I am with HDN over the past 3 years....... that would be a NOT~!
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

hogfan064

Quote from: iknodarren on December 01, 2006, 02:17:59 am
Oh boy, here comes another "fire our coach" thread...lol

Well 67.5% aren't approving of Heath.  What would you expect?

Pork Twain

Quote from: LA HAWG on December 01, 2006, 06:23:18 am
We had gotten Sullinger and wasn't Igudala coming before Nolan was fired.  Don't get me wrong I don't like Nolan but how is Stan any better?
I totally agree.  The biggest knock on Nolan was that he quit recruiting but he had a really good class coming in.  Stan has really done a lot with all of his good classes.  Nolan's recruits fit his system.  Stan doesn't even know what his sytem is.

The way Nolan left really pissed me off but that doesn't change the fact that Stan couldn't carry Nolan's boots.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

r-neezy

December 01, 2006, 07:52:17 am #81 Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 07:56:12 am by r-neezy
I know people think that Nolan stopped recruiting, but he did have some Talent coming in before he got fired. JJ Sullinger transferred after Nolan was let go. I thought he was a decent player. He had Andre Igodoula coming in, but he opted to go to Arizona after the firing. Please remember that Jonathan Modica was Nolan's recruit. But he wanted to be a razorback so bad that he decided to come anyway. And I think Heath messed up his Jr year by giving Olu Famatimi more minutes.  Also, Joe Johnson leaving after his sophmore year didnt help matters. Rumors were that his grades just werent good enough to help influence the decision. I dont know how true it is, but thats what I heard.  Could anyone imagine how incredible Ronnie Brewer would have been if he had been in Nolan's style. Brewer was good anyway, but he would have really been awesome. 

Last but not least, those violations that never came out to be true. He was hurt by those as well. But I give Nolan a lot of credit. At least he didnt ask for a two year pass like Nutt did. Maybe he should have asked for one.

Dugann

we would not be any better.  I like Nolan it to me is about like the HDN thing, with the exception that Nolan accomplished alot more but, that said it was just time for a change.  Like now in football and in basketball if we don't go to the NCAA again.  It time for a new product.  That said I think in BB with what happen at the end I think Anderson should have been given a shot! look what he did at UAB and now Mizz!  Our on the ball knows the pulse of the program fumbled it again.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

r-neezy

I havent been since I felt like he treated Modica badly his JR year by favoring Olu Famutimi. MOdica was our leaduing scoring his freshman and sophmore year, then Heath reduced his role his Jr year. The only reason why Modica's role was increased his SR year was because OLU had left to go the NBA. I felt that was the best move to happen to the B Ball program. Then, Heath couldnt play OLU.

el predicador

Yes, we're very satisfied with Stan Heath's job performance.
                                                                   Sincerely,
                                                                   The rest of the SEC

HawgAdvocate

We didn't match up well with Missouri's frantic pace. You all knew before last night that Missouri would want this more than we would. It also doesn't hurt to point out that this was our 4th game in a week.

We don't have quality experience at guard. Ervin let us down by not slowing the pace and running a half-court offense. We only have so many time outs we can call and reset the plan. Heath can't go on the floor and take control of the game himself, posession by posession.

One game doesn't make or break a season. No matter what the sport. It's simply amazing how so many can jump on and off the bandwagon in a matter of hours.

Shame on you. I honestly dont think many of you played sports growing up. Losing is part of the game. Our guards are young and have less than a year of chemistry working together. We played damn well against three totally different styles in 3 days last week. Give it some time. Everyone has predicted us to look good by SEC season. You can't start calling for Heath's head when he's replaced his top 3 guards this quickly and exceeded expectations so early in the season.

Some of these posts I've read over the past 12 hours have made my jaw drop.

litmachog

No point guards to handle the pressure.  Everyone talked about Ervin but he is a turnover waiting to happen.  McCurdy doesn't defend, many times people shot right over him and no one else stepping up to handle the pressure.

They played against 3 real good defenses during the tournament so they can't say they haven't been defended during the season.  They had high turnovers in those games as well.

Junkyard Hog

hogfan064

In year 1 Mike Anderson made year 5 coach Stan Heath look like a fool.  We weren't even competetive in this game.  This isn't the first time we've seen Heath lose to a less talented team on the road.

r-neezy

December 01, 2006, 08:07:45 am #89 Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 08:11:35 am by r-neezy
Snoop, They still had winning teams. The only season that he missed a post season tourney was the year that he got fired. Also, he did win the SEC touney with a team that was not as talented as the ones with MayDay or Scotty and Corliss. From 96-to 02, he only had one losing season.  But I know that those season were below the bar that was set previously. I will admit to having a soft spot for Nolan. I am in my md 20's. So Nolan was the only Razorback coach I ever really cared about. I will admit that in most situations, I will probably favor him, but not blindly though.

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogfan064 on December 01, 2006, 08:06:55 am
In year 1 Mike Anderson made year 5 coach Stan Heath look like a fool.  We weren't even competetive in this game.  This isn't the first time we've seen Heath lose to a less talented team on the road.
Somebody needs to call MA and let him know that it takse 4-5 years to get his system in place and the right players to fit his system.  What is SH's system anyway???
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

HawgAdvocate

Last I checked, Nolan had Larry Stachell, Blake Eddins, Dioniso Gomez, Teddy Gipson, Alonzo Lane, Brandon Dean (who refused to drive and score instead of chuck threes), and T.J. Cleveland. Sullinger couldn't hit a three to save his life when he came. You can't honestly think Nolan would have done better after this looking back at how bad this rag-tag bunch was.

Nolan didn't recruit, he selected. And he didn't select much.

Stan's recruited better players, and his record has been better than Nolan's last few years when you look at what he's had to rebuild.

After the 1996 recruiting class, Nolan gave up trying to sell the program.

98hogs

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 01, 2006, 08:02:55 am
We didn't match up well with Missouri's frantic pace. You all knew before last night that Missouri would want this more than we would. It also doesn't hurt to point out that this was our 4th game in a week.

We don't have quality experience at guard. Ervin let us down by not slowing the pace and running a half-court offense. We only have so many time outs we can call and reset the plan. Heath can't go on the floor and take control of the game himself, posession by posession.

One game doesn't make or break a season. No matter what the sport. It's simply amazing how so many can jump on and off the bandwagon in a matter of hours.

Shame on you. I honestly dont think many of you played sports growing up. Losing is part of the game. Our guards are young and have less than a year of chemistry working together. We played damn well against three totally different styles in 3 days last week. Give it some time. Everyone has predicted us to look good by SEC season. You can't start calling for Heath's head when he's replaced his top 3 guards this quickly and exceeded expectations so early in the season.

So you are pleased with the last few years?  I'm not praising Nolan but Eddie did leave the cupboard bare for him and Heath has had longer than Nolan to get it going and has produced not even close to the same results.  If nothing changes, nuthin changes!  Get used to just being happy making it to the dance and watching BWA half filled.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: litmachog on December 01, 2006, 08:05:00 am
No point guards to handle the pressure.  Everyone talked about Ervin but he is a turnover waiting to happen.  McCurdy doesn't defend, many times people shot right over him and no one else stepping up to handle the pressure.

They played against 3 real good defenses during the tournament so they can't say they haven't been defended during the season.  They had high turnovers in those games as well.

Ervin is our only decent PG. He shouldnt have been inbounding the ball to Butterfingers Hunter. Ervin has played many great games. Look at Jason Kidd. Look at Steve Nash. They average more TOs than anyone on their team. It comes with handling the ball more than anyone else. It's to be EXPECTED!!

During those 3 games we didn't see a full court press out off the inbounds for every posession. It didn't happen. Ervin screwed the pooch by rushing shots and not taking control.

HogNuttz

We didn't match up well with Missouri's frantic pace.
And it didn't look like Stan bothered to pratice breaking a press last week. Dykes' diagram of the gut cut to break a press is the one of first things taught.  Our college team didn't run even try or run this effectivly until Mizzouri already had our lunch.

You all knew before last night that Missouri would want this more than we would. It also doesn't hurt to point out that this was our 4th game in a week.
Maybe they didn't have 4 games in a week, but this is the first time they have played a "decent" team.  They should have been the ones making stupid mistakes, not us.

We don't have quality experience at guard.
And whose fault is that, not Heaths?

Ervin let us down by not slowing the pace and running a half-court offense.
Maybe the coach should have told him this.  I bet he didn't

We only have so many time outs we can call and reset the plan. Heath can't go on the floor and take control of the game himself, posession by posession.

True it is only one game, but we lost by 20 to a team we have beaten 2 years in a row.  Not to mention, the Dykes' doesn't even think Missouri has UAB type talent right now.

Shame on you. I honestly dont think many of you played sports growing up.
I did.  I played a lot of basketball.  That is where I learned how to break a press.  The fact we did terrible against it isn't what bothers me so much, but there are a few ways to break a press.  We tried one of them after we had already turned the ball over 10 times, and we didn't look like we had praticed against it at all.

Losing is part of the game. Our guards are young and have less than a year of chemistry working together.
Chemistry doesn't equal 20 points.

We played damn well against three totally different styles in 3 days last week. Give it some time. Everyone has predicted us to look good by SEC season.
They were wrong.

You can't start calling for Heath's head when he's replaced his top 3 guards this quickly and exceeded expectations so early in the season.
We won last year on talent.  Heath has shown a lack of coaching ability the last few years.  Our zone offense is a perfect illustration.

Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

Pork Twain

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 01, 2006, 08:14:43 am

Ervin is our only decent PG. He shouldnt have been inbounding the ball to Butterfingers Hunter. Ervin has played many great games. Look at Jason Kidd. Look at Steve Nash. They average more TOs than anyone on their team. It comes with handling the ball more than anyone else. It's to be EXPECTED!!

During those 3 games we didn't see a full court press out off the inbounds for every posession. It didn't happen. Ervin screwed the pooch by rushing shots and not taking control.
Why after 4+ years do we still not have a freakin' PG???  Nolan never seemed to have a problem finding one.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: hogfan064 on December 01, 2006, 08:06:55 am

Would we have lost like this last year? No, we wouldn't. We had experienced guards last year. Before last night we'd beaten Mizzou for 7 years strait. Streaks dont go on forever.

r-neezy

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 01, 2006, 08:10:11 am
Last I checked, Nolan had Larry Stachell, Blake Eddins, Dioniso Gomez, Teddy Gipson, Alonzo Lane, Brandon Dean (who refused to drive and score instead of chuck threes), and T.J. Cleveland. Sullinger couldn't hit a three to save his life when he came. You can't honestly think Nolan would have done better after this looking back at how bad this rag-tag bunch was.

Nolan didn't recruit, he selected. And he didn't select much.

Stan's recruited better players, and his record has been better than Nolan's last few years when you look at what he's had to rebuild.

After the 1996 recruiting class, Nolan gave up trying to sell the program.
I will admit that Larry Satchell was not a wise recruit. I will have to blame Nolan for that along with who ever else had a hand in the recruiting process. Balke Eddins and Cleveland (Anderson's Nephew)was decent his 1st two years, but than they were non-existent after that. I think Blake went almost a whole year with out making a jumper.

ICEman

Quinn didn't leave much in the tank for Mike... leaving a 12 and 18 team.  But Mike was able to beat the Hogs by 22 with holdover and Juco players.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

hogfan064

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 01, 2006, 08:14:43 am

In year 5 at a program with this much tradition that shouldn't be EXPECTED!!  Heath is the coach, he's responsible for this.  We lost to a 1st year coach with average talent by 22!!   Are you really happy with Heath?  Last year we underachieved losing to less talented teams like Bucknell, Ole Miss, and MSU.