Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stan Heaths comment last night?

Started by Brosshog, October 12, 2006, 04:18:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatty McGee

Quote from: jamie72921 on October 12, 2006, 03:11:46 pm
My point is that Stan Heath and many of his supporters whined about talent level when arrived here. Those guys mentioned were in the fold when he got here but he traded 2 of them for Kendrick Davis and Turd Ferguson. It wasn't like when Eddie left us and Keith Wilson, Kenny Hutchinson, and William Mills were all still here but far too strung out on coke to play? Leaving us with the likes of Scott Rose, Kevin Rehl, Mike Ratliff, and Scott Carpenter to add to Andrew Lang, Allie Freeman, and Stephon Moore. Byron Irvin transferred and although he was good he was a complimentary player.

The point is, there really isn't much difference between what Nolan started with and what Heath started with. There is however a big difference in the level of results so far. For Heath to match Nolan, he needs to have been to the NCAA one more time, win a first round game, and go to the final four THIS season. That is what Nolan did under the same circumstances and with lesser facilities and tradition.

That's the dumbest thing I ever read.  Nolan started with the same amount of talent?  Andrew Lang played in the NBA.  How many games in the league does Dionisio Gomez, Heath's big man, have?
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

toshortrock

he came into a hell hole,give him a little more time
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Fatty McGee

Give him this year, and if we're not ranked and with better than a 6 seed in the NCAAs, then he ought to go unless he makes the Sweet 16.

Hog Fan from Camden

you know it was coming.  come on now!
Quote from: BPPig on October 12, 2006, 03:09:27 pm
I am frankly amazed at all the Stan hate.

First, he followed a legend. Most coaches that try that last about 2 years.

Secondly, he followed a legend that was fired and sued the university. Name the last time that happened.

Third, the cupboard was bare and those that were left were mad about the firing.

Fourth, his early star player, who never would have been a Razorback if NR had stayed, had a father who disagreed with how his son was being used. Not unusual. What was unusual was that the father was a living legend at the university. That is unusual.

I wish his learning curve as a coach would have been quicker but he is getting better. He has also taken his lumps like a man to the press and not given us excuses or moral victory crap. I like that a lot and he is one man I would like my son to play for if I had a D1 son.

The style of team he is building works and works well. 3 out of 4 teams in last years final four use the same basic blueprint. I could care less what style we use as long as we win and those long physical defensive teams win lots of games in the tournament when it counts and the 3 point % is falling.

The man can flat out recruit. Olu was a semi bust but that happens. Judging by Al Jefferson's early play in the NBA Stan was correct in staying with him to the end because he would have shredded the SEC. One of his first recruits was a 1st round draft choice. If HDN could recruit like Stan then even with his very small offensive play repertoire he would be a living legend on campus.

He gets hammered for the strangest reasons. It is obvious we could use a zone buster. We don't need one to do much more than just shoot the rock. We get a commit from one, who from the film I have seen has a pure stroke and he gets pummeled. The kid is 6-5 210 and besides being able to shoot can also probably set some serious screens for folks like Sonny. Anybody who gets past our perimeter people have to meet Mr. Hill and company.

Yes, we lost to Bucknell. It happens every year to someone. Usually to a couple of teams. He could have used excuses like "looking ahead to Memphis" but he didn't. In the long run it might even be a good thing. This group of players will probably not let that happen again. We were not going that far last year in all probability anyway.

While it has been slow Stan has progressed as a coach and I think it will continue. In his early years he over coached. Look at all those offense for defense substitutions he tried early on. He has learned to temper that and has become much more aware of the situations. He has assembled a very solid staff with a good mix of talents between them. He has an obstinate side that has slowed him somewhat but as time progresses can become a strength. His players. and these are his players by all reports, will start to feed off of that and become very obstinate about losing.

Historically, most big men need two years to develop. Ones that don't are in the NBA. If he can develop big men it will come to fruition this year. Has anyone seen pics of SH lately. Big Baby has lost 45 pounds. We should be among the more physical teams in America, much less the SEC.

This team deserves our full support right now. It is obvious from the pics that they have worked their butts off in the summer. If you want the Hogs to return to greatness in the near future then this team needs our full support. We can be strong enough this year to set ourselves up for one of the greatest classes in AR history. Any new coach puts us back to square one. Love him or hate him at this time he is by far our best avenue back to national prominence. Besides, exactly who up on the Hill do you trust with finding this mythical promised land coach? Go Hogs Go.

Great post sir, right on the money.  It's almost like some of these guys want Stan to fail.  I wonder why!  It's funny to me that some of the same guys dogging Stan are also dogging Cody Burns.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: CallMeHog on October 12, 2006, 10:07:04 am
Please stop all the Hurricane-program devastated crap. A basketball team is not a large city that has to be rebuilt (even though New Orleans will be rebuilt in much shorter time than Stan has had with the bb team). Michigan proved a few years back that one good recruiting year can put you immediately in the National hunt again. After 3 years tops that old dog don't hunt.

If our boosters would only pay like Michigan's boosters, perhaps we could have a Fab Five too.

dumasdaddy

Gomez and the others there were basically take what is left.  Don't be stupid now.

Nashville Joe

Please lay off of Stan.  He represents my university well.  He's a class act.  He did rebuild the program.  Can't a guy say anything without being criticized? 

ToddW

I think we need to give Stan a good chance.  Last year things seemed to be coming together.  Lets see what he can do this year.  Rebuilding the program with the mess Nolan left us would be hard for any coach coming into that situation.  It's really hard to recruit basketball players nowadays.  Your blue chip recruits can get drafted to the NBA right out of highschool making $$$$$$$$.  Not only do you have to recruit against other colleges but agents and the NBA as well.  Lay off and give him some room, lets see what he does this season.
I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: TheHOGDog_111 on October 12, 2006, 07:23:18 pm
you know it was coming.  come on now!
Quote from: BPPig on October 12, 2006, 03:09:27 pm
I am frankly amazed at all the Stan hate.

First, he followed a legend. Most coaches that try that last about 2 years.

Secondly, he followed a legend that was fired and sued the university. Name the last time that happened.

Third, the cupboard was bare and those that were left were mad about the firing.

Fourth, his early star player, who never would have been a Razorback if NR had stayed, had a father who disagreed with how his son was being used. Not unusual. What was unusual was that the father was a living legend at the university. That is unusual.

I wish his learning curve as a coach would have been quicker but he is getting better. He has also taken his lumps like a man to the press and not given us excuses or moral victory crap. I like that a lot and he is one man I would like my son to play for if I had a D1 son.

The style of team he is building works and works well. 3 out of 4 teams in last years final four use the same basic blueprint. I could care less what style we use as long as we win and those long physical defensive teams win lots of games in the tournament when it counts and the 3 point % is falling.

The man can flat out recruit. Olu was a semi bust but that happens. Judging by Al Jefferson's early play in the NBA Stan was correct in staying with him to the end because he would have shredded the SEC. One of his first recruits was a 1st round draft choice. If HDN could recruit like Stan then even with his very small offensive play repertoire he would be a living legend on campus.

He gets hammered for the strangest reasons. It is obvious we could use a zone buster. We don't need one to do much more than just shoot the rock. We get a commit from one, who from the film I have seen has a pure stroke and he gets pummeled. The kid is 6-5 210 and besides being able to shoot can also probably set some serious screens for folks like Sonny. Anybody who gets past our perimeter people have to meet Mr. Hill and company.

Yes, we lost to Bucknell. It happens every year to someone. Usually to a couple of teams. He could have used excuses like "looking ahead to Memphis" but he didn't. In the long run it might even be a good thing. This group of players will probably not let that happen again. We were not going that far last year in all probability anyway.

While it has been slow Stan has progressed as a coach and I think it will continue. In his early years he over coached. Look at all those offense for defense substitutions he tried early on. He has learned to temper that and has become much more aware of the situations. He has assembled a very solid staff with a good mix of talents between them. He has an obstinate side that has slowed him somewhat but as time progresses can become a strength. His players. and these are his players by all reports, will start to feed off of that and become very obstinate about losing.

Historically, most big men need two years to develop. Ones that don't are in the NBA. If he can develop big men it will come to fruition this year. Has anyone seen pics of SH lately. Big Baby has lost 45 pounds. We should be among the more physical teams in America, much less the SEC.

This team deserves our full support right now. It is obvious from the pics that they have worked their butts off in the summer. If you want the Hogs to return to greatness in the near future then this team needs our full support. We can be strong enough this year to set ourselves up for one of the greatest classes in AR history. Any new coach puts us back to square one. Love him or hate him at this time he is by far our best avenue back to national prominence. Besides, exactly who up on the Hill do you trust with finding this mythical promised land coach? Go Hogs Go.

Great post sir, right on the money.  It's almost like some of these guys want Stan to fail.  I wonder why!  It's funny to me that some of the same guys dogging Stan are also dogging Cody Burns.
This is pure bunk, and you know it.  I don't believe you can point to one person on this board "dogging Kodi Burns".  And spell his name right, you look like a fool accusing people of racism and misspelling your examples name.  The fact is, almost everyone on this thread has said Stan is doing a good job for what he had to work with.  Now, he has talent...let's see if he can coach.

pignatious

I just don't understand why we have to give Stan so much time to prove he can coach. He has had the time, and he has proven he can't get us to the level we expect this program to be at IMHO. He says he doesn't want to rebuild again. Hell, he hasn't built anything yet. It does not take as long to build a basketball team as it does a football team. The numbers of scholarships available is not even close. He has signed some good recruits. The results don't show it. Getting to the NCAA tournament one year and losing in the first round to Bucknell in Dallas the way they did is pathetic. Watching the games alone should be evidence that this team is poorly coached. Sure, there are the exceptional games here and there, but overall, it's been ugly. I want better for my school than the mediocre records and the poor fundamentals I have seen. We have too much tradition. This year should be make or break. Sweet 16 or gone!
Freedom is never free.

hawaiianhogster

I want to watch us play on T.V. If we win I might be able to have my wish. Same with the football team. Keep winning. I think our BB team will man up better against SEC teams cause our big guy's have a year experience under them. They are the team leaders and will pick up their game considerably. I'm jabbering pretty much since I don't know what I'm talking about. It sounded good to me.
GHG!

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: pignatious on October 12, 2006, 10:10:02 pm
I just don't understand why we have to give Stan so much time to prove he can coach. He has had the time, and he has proven he can't get us to the level we expect this program to be at IMHO. He says he doesn't want to rebuild again. Hell, he hasn't built anything yet. It does not take as long to build a basketball team as it does a football team. The numbers of scholarships available is not even close. He has signed some good recruits. The results don't show it. Getting to the NCAA tournament one year and losing in the first round to Bucknell in Dallas the way they did is pathetic. Watching the games alone should be evidence that this team is poorly coached. Sure, there are the exceptional games here and there, but overall, it's been ugly. I want better for my school than the mediocre records and the poor fundamentals I have seen. We have too much tradition. This year should be make or break. Sweet 16 or gone!
I agree with the ned to see a big winner this year.  But, the back court has been awful during Stan's tenure.  Ronnie Brewer was the ONLY player in our backcourt with SEC talent.  He was very inconsistent and disappeared in big games.  We should be considerably better this year.  Stan needs to show that to stay IMHO.

Brosshog

Quote from: Nashville Joe on October 12, 2006, 07:51:46 pm
Please lay off of Stan.  He represents my university well.  He's a class act.  He did rebuild the program.  Can't a guy say anything without being criticized? 
Dude don't start crying. It'll be OK.

jamie72921

Fathead, Andrew Lang couldn't walk and chew gum at that point in his career. Scott Rose, the starting point guard was a walk on. I hate trying to discuss things with people who don't know the history. If you knew it, then you would know Nolan was given a program in as bad a shape or worse than the one he left. Eat it, chump.
Bless your heart