Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My heart is torn for this game!

Started by MountainHomeHogger, March 12, 2018, 02:53:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainHomeHogger

As a Arkansas resident who has grown to love the Hogs, I am so torn about these next games.  I grew up less than a mile from Hinkle Fieldhouse home of Butler and loved going to there games, then I went to Purdue for college.  I still follow both those teams as much as I do the Hogs!  I will say whomever  comes out of this I will be covered in my rooting interest!

AFWarrior83

You are on an Arkansas Razorback message board...so you better be pulling for the Hawgs!
Hogville member since 2005.

AHorseWithNoName

"A man on a horse is spiritually, as well as physically, bigger than a man on foot." — John Steinbeck

rhames

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on March 12, 2018, 02:56:47 pm
You are on an Arkansas Razorback message board...so you better be pulling for the Hawgs!
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

phadedhawg

More than your heart is gonna be torn if you don't get right quick.  Go Hogs!!!

allmetro07

_Hamlet_

I dont think anyone on this message board cares.

BannerMountainMan

You know it's going to be Cal State
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Quote from: AHorseWithNoName on March 12, 2018, 03:00:00 pm
Beat Butler, Lose to Purdue

Nope  89-75 Hogs over Butler
93-85 Hogs over Purdue.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Houston, we have a Nutt

We moved to Northern Indiana 4 years ago. My in-laws are pretty evenly split between Indiana basketball and Purdue basketball, only a passing interest in Butler. Since moving here I have watched more of the Big Ten network than any southern boy should ever have to see, just gross.  Everyone pretty much loves Notre Dame football, even nastier. It is time for my vengeance!. Come on Hogs.

Enemy Checklist:

Friday 3/16/18 Beat Butler BB
Sunday 3/18/18 Beat Purdue BB (although Purdue losing in 1st round is tempting!)
Saturday 9/12/20 Beat ND FB
Saturday 10/4/25 Eh who am I kidding, no way ND doesn't pull out before the return game.

AlmaHog2011

Not surprised. No Hogfan would be torn no matter who WE play. Just like I have been saying there are a lot of posters on this board who aren't Hogfans.

skinnypig

What's weird is I happened to watch Purdue more than other team outside the SEC this year and now we have a good chance to play them. If we can get past the bulldogs I think we can beat Purdue if we can get the game up tempo. Haas is good but can't run the floor, if we speed up the game we can neutralize him

itsonlyagame

Quote from: MountainHomeHogger on March 12, 2018, 02:53:01 pm
As a Arkansas resident who has grown to love the Hogs, I am so torn about these next games.  I grew up less than a mile from Hinkle Fieldhouse home of Butler and loved going to there games, then I went to Purdue for college.  I still follow both those teams as much as I do the Hogs!  I will say whomever  comes out of this I will be covered in my rooting interest!
Toured Bulter's campus last October. Hinkle Fieldhouse is amazing especially with the filming of "Hoosiers". Beautiful campus.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on March 12, 2018, 08:39:43 pm
Not surprised. No Hogfan would be torn no matter who WE play. Just like I have been saying there are a lot of posters on this board who aren't Hogfans.

The OTR

Gonna smite this guy off the board.

Kevin

Got my masters from Kent state. Was not torn as I sat in Baum for three games
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

MountainHomeHogger

Wow, the hate is real on here!  Damn, I guess I better stop going to Hog games and cancel my SEC package as well!

MountainHomeHogger

I guess I can't be a Hog Fan and Boilermaker Fan?  Salty aren't we!

jkstock04

Butler and Purdue fan...sounds like a real gas!
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

riccoar

Take a quarter.  On one side, write Arkansas.  On the other, Purdue.  Now, flip it.  The one you want it to land on while in the air is where your true loyalty lies.

With me, I don't need no quarter.

Hawg Red

You shouldn't be torn about anything if you're a Razorback fan from birth.

popcornhog

This is such a dumb statement. I went to school at the UA and grew up in Arkansas and recently moved back to Arkansas as an adult. It sounds like you're probably in similar shoes. Of course we're going to be straight up Arkansas fans.

This guy did not go to school at the U of A and grew up in Indiana. He moved here and came to love the hogs. Why on earth should that mean he must turn his back on his alma mater and home state?
WPS

Cotton

GTFO CARPET BAGGER!!!!

jk I understand where you are coming from.  Thanks for supporting the Hogs!
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: riccoar on March 13, 2018, 08:08:37 am
Take a quarter.  On one side, write Arkansas.  On the other, Purdue.  Now, flip it.  The one you want it to land on while in the air is where your true loyalty lies.

With me, I don't need no quarter.

Hmm...sounds like you do, actually.

HogFaninMemphis

You can look at this negatively or positively. Positive viewpoint is that you're certainly guaranteed a team in the Sweet 16; negative viewpoint is that two of your 3 teams will have to lose to each other in order to get there. It's strange how certain seedings affect people. Of course Butler and Purdue is a conundrum many fans will have, which is why the committee put them there.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Hoggish1

Quote from: MountainHomeHogger on March 13, 2018, 07:55:26 am
Wow, the hate is real on here!  Damn, I guess I better stop going to Hog games and cancel my SEC package as well!

No, just don't come on here saying it's going to be fine whatever happens... LMAO

razorback1829

Got my undergrad and masters from Mizzou. Grew up in Fayetteville AR. Cut me open and lil piggies will come out of my blood. I'm never torn.

NoogaHog

You guys are being hard on Rotnei!
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

popcornhog

Quote from: razorback1829 on March 13, 2018, 01:16:02 pm
Got my undergrad and masters from Mizzou. Grew up in Fayetteville AR. Cut me open and lil piggies will come out of my blood. I'm never torn.

And OP grew up in Indiana. Cut him some slack.
WPS

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: popcornhog on March 13, 2018, 02:02:52 pm

Yes.  At least he saw the light after moving to Arkansas, and has become a Razorback fan (many stay with their original teams).  Give him credit for that!

Although my parents met at the U of A, and I was born in Fort Smith, I don't remember living anywhere but El Paso, where my folks moved when I was about 2 years old.  I was always a rabid Hog fan, but I ended up going to the local college, UTEP, for financial reasons.

That didn't stop me from rooting against them (UTEP) the two times we have faced them in football (1989 and 2010).  That said, there would at least be a pang of consideration should we run up against them in basketball.  Well, I would root for the Razorbacks, without a doubt.

But the difference here - and in this sport only - is that I learned to love basketball watching UTEP (actually, Texas Western at the time), not Arkansas.  In the middle 60's, when I was becoming aware of sports, Arkansas had no presence or recent history in hoops.  They were bottom feeders in the SWC, a conference that never made any noise in the NCAA tournament anyhow.

Meanwhile, Texas Western was a very good program under Don Haskins (The Bear), and were quite popular in El Paso.  Of course, most of you know that Nolan Richardson played for the Bear, and that his 1966 team won the National Championship by beating Kentucky in the finals (this was memorialized in the movie Glory Road a decade ago). 

I actually saw that team play in person; ironically, Arkansas came to town to play in the Holiday basketball tournament (Sun Carnival) that TWC hosted, and Dad took me to see the double header.  Arkansas lost to #4 Iowa, and the Miners (Texas Western) defeated Loyola-New Orleans.  The next night, Texas Western stunned Iowa, serving notice of what was to happen at the end of the season.  UTEP - as they became a year later - continued to have a very strong program through the time I graduated and moved to Dallas in 1976 - just as the Arkansas program was about to explode under Eddie Sutton.  That took my Hoops love to new heights . . . but I originally learned to love the game following Texas Western/UTEP. 

My point is that even though most everyone who posts here has legitimate "love" for the Hogs, there are many who also have legitimate, specific history with another team.  That doesn't make them any less of a Razorback fan. 

pigture perfect

I'm more worried about getting past Butler than I am about Purdue. Purdue doesn't scare me at all.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

KevinOMReb

Well, I think that went well......
Hotty Toddy,
KevinOMReb

rogersvillemohog

My father graduated from Mizzou, I grew up going to Mizzou games from the time I was 5 till I was 13 or 14, and yet I still have been adorned in red for every Arkansas-Missouri game.

You know what they say, when momma calls, you come home.

WPS!
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

razorback1829

Quote from: popcornhog on March 13, 2018, 02:02:52 pm

LOL if we don't give him a hard time, this thread is meaningless. It's all good fun.