Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paul Haynes

Started by Fayettechill14, November 23, 2012, 05:57:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fayettechill14

Solid effort from his defense today.

The only main mistakes were made by freshmen (Peters, Hines in coverage).

Defense has been bad, but they've been very young and had a ton of injuries. With 9 starters returning and 17 of 22 on the two-deep coming back, this defense could be pretty good next year and VERY good in 2014.

Haynes has also recruited very well, and the incoming recruits look better than what we've seen in the past (Harding, Ellis mostly)

Think there's any chance the new coach considers retaining him?

songofthesword

i wouldn't be upset if he was retained at all. with a healthy defense this is a top 40ish defense at least with a competent head coach.

not only that, the freshman by the end of the year for the most part aren't playing likef reshman. he isn't  abad coach.

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Pickeledpigfeet

Good luck at Cleveland community college!
Get off the Gus bus....Get on the Bret Jet !!!!!

FANONTHEHILL

Paul Hayne and Taver Johnson both have good reputations in the coachin field. This year won't define their resume' for either.  They will have jobs next year either here or elsewhere.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Teebow62

Perhaps he can get a solid effort out of a MAC team next season.

HAWG MAFIA

Would be nice to retain both Johnson and Haynes

Root Down

Judging the whole season.  Haynes has got to go.  I know the results of poor coaching and this d has it in spades.

Lsu is a one dimensional offense and predictable.  I was calling run, pass at 80 percent accuracy rate.

spiritof92

He's shown he can be a solid coach the last game of the season every year.  Not sure if that is enough to keep him around, tbh. 

code3hawg

heck naw, clean house.  The offense and defensive coordinators have been doing all the play calling all year, plus if a big name comes in, he will bring his people.  Arkansas needs a total cleansing.
Quit Whinning and support your Team!

Martygit

Perhaps it was that LSU wasn't up for this game, but I think our defense was, for the most part, outstanding - they gave up a couple of big plays, and the officials were obviously geared towards giving this game to LSU, but for the most part I think this defense played the best game they've played all year.  Maybe Haynes isn't as bad as I thought he was all year but it doesn't matter - a new coach is going to come in and replace all of the coaches - I wouldn't mind if Haynes was given another year or two based on what I saw today - anyway - on to basketball and next year's FB!!
RIP OTR, REV

HogSchmog

Defense stepped up in ONE game this season.  The rest of the season sucked, regardless of the injuries.  I think he had a shot and we didn't see anything exciting or new out of the Defense this year.  He needs to go and I'm sure some big school will pick him up.  It would be great if our new HC is a defensive-minded coach who brings along a solid OC to run the offense.

kaiserhog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on November 23, 2012, 05:57:53 pm
Solid effort from his defense today.

The only main mistakes were made by freshmen (Peters, Hines in coverage).

Defense has been bad, but they've been very young and had a ton of injuries. With 9 starters returning and 17 of 22 on the two-deep coming back, this defense could be pretty good next year and VERY good in 2014.

Haynes has also recruited very well, and the incoming recruits look better than what we've seen in the past (Harding, Ellis mostly)

Think there's any chance the new coach considers retaining him?
You are very perceptive.  There has been real improvement on defense since the middle of the season.  What happened against Mississippi State was not related to scheme or the defensive calls.  What happened in Starkville was that the emotional dam broke.   Haynes and Johnson didn't stay at tOSU all these years by being bad coaches.  In fact, the best young talent on this team is on defense.

spiritof92

The defense has quite a bit of upside.  Flowers is going to be a wealthy man in the coming years. 

racingpossum

Paul Haynes WILL NOT in any way be retained. He was in over his head cordinating a defense. He is nothing more than a position coach.

jackflash

would like to kept Haynes as a DB coach the only coach I would consider on the defensive side of the ball

Rockpig5

I wouldn't mind keeping them both.  Consider the circumstances for their first year. 

Pig In The City

Quote from: jackflash on November 23, 2012, 07:00:57 pm
would like to kept Haynes as a DB coach the only coach I would consider on the defensive side of the ball

I am not impressed with Haynes 3rd and long defense....they allowed way too many conversions.  That is unacceptable in my book. 

Speedsmith

Haynes is not the problem. We lost a lot of leaders on defense. Whether to graduation or injury. He did I a good job with a lot of redshirt and true freshmen in the back seven

Blue35

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Speedsmith on November 23, 2012, 08:06:32 pm
Haynes is not the problem. We lost a lot of leaders on defense. Whether to graduation or injury. He did I a good job with a lot of redshirt and true freshmen in the back seven

i agree. injuries along with depth among starters and backups made it very difficult on the DC, regardless who it is.  put chavis with our players or any other top name; wouldn't be much difference.

i don't like passive defenses either; hate the bend-don't-break.  however, i recognize when personnel issues are such as ours, it is likely forced upon us do to lack of experience, depth, and overall talent.

we did shine defensively today.  it was nice to see and hopefully a sign of things to come

slightly OT but related.  does anyone remember those days in the 80's and 90's where the preseason media habitually described our defense as "extremely fast"?

you know what that really meant? it meant we were small compared to other teams.

we got a touch of that now.  hopefully we can overcome the size issue and stock the pantry with larger cans over the next few years.
The rest of the frog.

azhog10

People will knock him bc the performance of the defense early. I don't blame them. But the defense has been very good considering the injuries and youth at key positions. I do think his play call wasn't best suited for our personnel. When we blitzed more we succeeded. That said when your offense is as bad as ours was after the first drive of the game then that happens.

alohawg

The only Haynes that should be retained is the underwear variety.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Dwight_K_Shrute

I am not for retaining Haynes but the defense suffered more than the offense in terms of attrition and injuries.  Also I think the defense did improve as the year went along.  I think some of the defensive short comings came from an underachieving offense.  The defense would start well and then get either tired or demoralized by the lack of production/turnovers from the offense.  They bailed the O out of early TO's in the MSU game but after awhile it was too much.  D definitely did their job against LSU and did what they needed to do to win.

I did not see much improvement in the offense as the year went along.  I think of the two Paul Petrino is the much bigger disappointment.  This has been shown in the terrible redzone production and the offensive struggles seemed to increase as the year went on. Also we would play a good quarter or two and then the D would figure it out.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: racingpossum on November 23, 2012, 06:56:22 pm
Paul Haynes WILL NOT in any way be retained. He was in over his head cordinating a defense. He is nothing more than a position coach.

He was in his first year. I think most of us expected him to be Kirby Smart or something despite having never been a DC.

We were consistently good against the run, got more pressure as the season went on, and matured more and more in coverage each week. If not for about 3 or 4 freshmen mistakes, we would have held them to around 200 total yards.

All around, it was a well-coached and well-executed game today. Same for the Tulsa, Auburn, and Kentucky games.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: HogFanDallas on November 23, 2012, 07:15:08 pm
I am not impressed with Haynes 3rd and long defense....they allowed way too many conversions.  That is unacceptable in my book.

I agree with this, it's been (to me) the biggest problem we've had all year. Our ability to stop the run (26th nationally) put us in decent 3rd down situations, but we haven't been getting stops.

I think most of it is due to a) young, inexperienced DBs, and b) young LBs that aren't very good at blitzing yet.

Whoever inherits our 2013 defense will inherit a unit that could be potentially be top half of the SEC. Has Haynes earned the chance to coach them or is it worth it to rebuild the whole system with new coaches? Keeping Haynes also means keeping Caldwell, arguably our top assistant.

jbcarol

Saved his best for last.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Devil_Dog

I always felt the D got to much blame this year when things wasn't going
Good when the offense is a complete joke and didn't hold up to its end. 3 and out & turnover happened way to much for a young d  like ours

LJHOG

Quote from: PORKULATOR on November 23, 2012, 06:02:12 pm
Good freakin ridounce.
I think Haynes did a good job with the players he had to work with.  Y'all just need to face facts.  Arkansas is not a talented team on either side of the ball.

Tusks

didn't the D give up 300 passing today to one of the most avg. QB in the SEC?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Grunt

we could break on the ball more.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: code3hawg on November 23, 2012, 06:49:31 pm
heck naw, clean house.    Arkansas needs a total cleansing.

I don't want a single one of those jokers around our program a single day more.

The only one I'd even consider keeping on is Peoples.  Somewhat because of his hot wife, but also from his personality, demeanor, recruiting skill, and I just like him.

However, if the rumor of the coaching staff only working 4-5 days a week this season are true.... every single one of them stole $ from us and I hope to hades JL stiffs them on any bonus for this season.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Tusks

yeah the programs record setting QB and WR are on the team......one of the countries best KR is on the team and is talented enough if he got the carries he would of had a 1, 000 yards.......don't mention the all SEC TE that was lost......yeah there's no talented coaches on the team.....but there is talented players......when motivated to play.

Quote from: LJHOG on November 23, 2012, 11:25:12 pm
I think Haynes did a good job with the players he had to work with.  Y'all just need to face facts.  Arkansas is not a talented team on either side of the ball.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: nutted on November 23, 2012, 11:34:59 pm
didn't the D give up 300 passing today to one of the most avg. QB in the SEC?
No just 217 which was only 11 over their season average.  So its not like he lit us up.  Also held then to 100 yes under their seanon rushing avg.  Get your facts straight before criticizing a D that more than held their own and put us in a position to win.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

LSPRazorbac

If we hire a defensive minded coach, I wouldn't mind it. 

If we hire an offensive minded coach, no he needs to go and we need to spend the money on a top notch DC.

checkraiser88

LOL just because we had a good defensive effort on the last game of the season doesn't mean he should be retained! The man did horrible this year!

Bad_Intentions

Haynes got better as the season went. An insane amount of injuries and awful offensive execution led to a lot of the D's struggles. Haynes said from Day 1 that his unit was going to focus on stopping the run. I think overall he did ok with that. LSU was pretty vanilla today, but Haynes' unit dominated them in the second half save Beckam's great catch and run. Honestly I wouldn't be against him being retained. I think he is a solid football coach.
WPS!!

AFWarrior83

Haynes would serve better as a recruiter than DC. I wouldn't mind him staying if he was a position coach, but not as DC.
Hogville member since 2005.