Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We've won 7 of our last 9 games. The wheels have not fallen off.

Started by dsims2k3, February 07, 2018, 12:40:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorhog52

I don't think most feel the wheels have fallen off. I think most are frustrated that with a team of 7 seniors we might squeak into the NCAAs. No one expects final fours every year but a sweet 16 would be nice every now and then. After non conference play, we had visions of a 4or 5 seed which would helped an NCAA run. However, we are staring a 9 seed in the face now.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawg66 on February 08, 2018, 12:30:22 pm
Macon is playing really well right now. Barford has been slumping but played better Tuesday. We definitely need both of them playing well.  Everyone has been complaining about the pressure defense but I thought SC was the first game we've seen it full court in a while. Mixed in some matchup zone to get Thompson and Gafford in at the same time.
I remember the concerns early in the year about the minutes for Barford and Macon. Maybe Anderson scaled back the Full Court press to get the minutes out of them without using them up. It's February now so no holding back. The Vandy game is huge, as they all are at this point.  I think we'll see lots of full court pressing and pushing the tempo. That's how the Hogs were rolling in December and hopefully they'll get back to that.

Well that is how we roll against the overmatched which was most of our December schedule.  SC was an opponent to press considering how they turn the ball over, how poorly they often shoot and it was also in BWA. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawg66

There are degrees of pressing obviously. I'm talking the traps and denying the inbound pass. Early in the season they used their length to trap early and Beard was doing a good job of playing the passing lanes. Any full court in January was pressuring the dribbler and jump trapping near half court. I think we'll see the defense we saw Tuesday again Saturday. Hopefully with similar results.

oldbooniehog

Arkansas last reached the Sweet 16 back in 1996.

That's 22 years ago.

How many current players on the team are younger than 22 years old?

Wheels have not fallen off.

Wheels burned away and have not been put back on in a couple of decades.

Current coach is in year 7, and still no sign anything is going to change any time soon.

THAT is the source of all the ill-will and discontent. No reaching the NCAA Sweet 16 for 22 years.

311Hog

Quote from: oldbooniehog on February 08, 2018, 04:13:38 pm
Arkansas last reached the Sweet 16 back in 1996.

That's 22 years ago.

How many current players on the team are younger than 22 years old?

Wheels have not fallen off.

Wheels burned away and have not been put back on in a couple of decades.

Current coach is in year 7, and still no sign anything is going to change any time soon.

THAT is the source of all the ill-will and discontent. No reaching the NCAA Sweet 16 for 22 years.

this is all so true to me, but i am just trying not to lug around this level of baggage.  Trying to focus on this year's goal at this moment. for me that is get to the dance.  And then lets see what kinda damage is done and to whom.

raz1965

We won 5 of the last 7. A win at ole miss will be big now.

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

orvillesghost

Anything less than the SEC regular season title *which now looks impossible* or making it past the round of 32 in the NCAA will mark this season as a failure IMO.

It will also make seven years into the MA regime with neither of those goals accomplished...

razorbackchamps94

Ole Miss will thump us Tuesday then the wheels come off.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: raz1965 on February 11, 2018, 01:40:58 pm
We won 5 of the last 7. A win at ole miss will be big now.

Ya, but lost 8 of the last 25.  You can't win if you're losing.

dsims2k3

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

All I want is to be consistent.  Follow up playing a good game with the same fire and intensity the next game.  Don't come out and lay an egg... that is what most fans are used too & that's what most complain about.  I like the 3 game win streak, & it is vs. teams at the bottom of the SEC, but sometimes winning breeds winning.  A tough stretch coming up, but beat TXA&M and UK at home... now you've got some good MOJO going into the final few games.  Need to somehow get payback vs. Auburn, and then you can't get donkey whipped @ Bama & @ Mizzou.  Got to give yourself a punchers chance in those road games.

I'll say 2-3 for the final 5 games.  I like wins in 2 of our remaining home games... not sure which 2, and I just can't see us winning in Tuscaloosa or in Columbia.  The other home game, it's a toss up, could be a loss vs. UK or vs Auburn.

pghawg1

It amazing there are so many damn many experts on this board that can read the future

99toLife

Quote from: pghawg1 on February 14, 2018, 01:24:07 pm
It amazing there are so many damn many experts on this board that can read the future

It is a gift of many HV posters.. ;)

sickboy

Quote from: gguillo on February 14, 2018, 12:50:13 pm
All I want is to be consistent.  Follow up playing a good game with the same fire and intensity the next game.

Most college basketball teams struggle with this. There's usually only one or two elite teams that play consistently, and even then, they tend to lay an egg here and there.

dsims2k3

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 07, 2018, 12:40:07 pm
After starting 1-3 in sec play, everyone would  have taken 8 wins out of the next 11 games (which includes 5 on the road).

dsims2k3

Cargill A. BullHog

Coach A is getting the fellas hot at the right time.  Maybe all the naysayers will jump on the bandwagon in time for the SECT.  If we can get on a run there we could finish with a 5 seed, maybe even a 4 if we blow some teams out like we did the Aggies.

Another thing thats almost as good.  If we torch the Big Blue Babies we could actually knock them OUT of the NCAA tourny.
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

HogBreath

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on February 19, 2018, 04:29:45 pm
Coach A is getting the fellas hot at the right time.  Maybe all the naysayers will jump on the bandwagon in time for the SECT. 

Please save me a seat on that bandwagon Mr. Bullfrog.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: HogBreath on February 19, 2018, 05:17:24 pm
Please save me a seat on that bandwagon Mr. Bullfrog.

I will. I will. 

Theres always some extra room after a loss, its the best time to get on!

Tough loss vs Big Blue.  Should of won that one at home, but Im sure they felt the same way in 2014.  I fully expect to beat Bama and Mizzou, Auburn might be tough though.  Whatever the case, Coach A has done a masterful job getting a bunch of INDIVIDUALS to play like a TEAM these last few games.  Ive seen a decrease in selfish play from all but 1 Sr.  We will get a 10 seed and upsdet a 7 and a 2 on our way to the SWEET 16.  Woo Hoo, WPS Go Hogs Go
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.