Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next Warren 3 to be Hogs?

Started by RNHog, August 25, 2012, 05:13:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RNHog

http://www.arkansassports360.com/31022/bahn-minnesota-vikings-wright-childs-just-the-latest-receiver-greats-produced-in-warren

It's an old article but it talks about the next big possible three out of Warren including Von Eric Gonder. He was on the super sophomore team last year with 48 catches 580 yards and 8 touchdowns as a sophomore. He is also the cousin of Chris Gragg I believe. The article also talks about Chris Oliver and Darveon Brown who is the first Warren WR to start every game as a Freshman. Impressive since Warren has had 26 WR sign and play college ball.

Von Eric also did a preseason interview on Warren's local online newspaper talking about what scouts have told him to improve on the next two years to really get the attention he needs. Arkansas has shown to be very interested as well as ASU. To look at the interview go to www.salineriverchronicle.com and click the sports section. It is titled "Video: Von Eric Gonder-"Really working on my speed".

Hope we in Warren can send some more big playmakers up to Fayetteville!

SemperFi

Love that Warren pipeline! Just need to find a way to keep the other schools from it.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

passinghog

As long as we don't hire a coach like the Nutt-sack with a boring offense, we'll be fine. We can show them, all 3 Warren guys came here, and all 3 will be in the league. Brett Smith, all the talent in the world, went to Tennessee(the wrong school) and washed out.

VBMark

Wonder if after Guz leaves the Red Wolves would they consider hiring Warren's coach to really open up that East Arkansas pipeline.

Nah, that would be smart and inexpensive.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

jj202020

The best in high school was Terrence Hampton--who signed at UA, but never made it to campus--followed closely by Bret Smith.  I'd rate Darveon Brown---a soph at Warren this year, next---then Wright and Childs.  Ricardo Kemp was also a good one. 

Funny how being in the right place at the right time can change everything. 

HogPhilosophy

What about Jalen Cobb? What happened to him?

mmhogs17

whosiskid

Quote from: mmhogs17 on August 26, 2012, 01:58:06 am
JUCO

I think we need to find out what is in the water in Warren, bottle it, and distribute it only instate.

Good to hear that we have some good instate talent to recruit. Hopefully they will profit from the example of Cobb and understand that the have to do well in the class room as well. I wonder if we'll go after Cobb again come spring, assuming he does well in school.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

TMc

It's amazing the athletes that Warren has produced

#1 STUNNA

To me brett smith was the best receiver to come out of warren. I think hampton was the best overall football playet followed by kemp. Just my opinion

Porkys Revenge

It's not whats in the water, it's them pink tomaters.

Ugly Uncle

What about Gragg's "little" brother?  Is he going to a different high school?
Retired Radio Host

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on August 27, 2012, 09:18:28 pm
What about Gragg's "little" brother?  Is he going to a different high school?
I think Pine Bluff
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

jj202020

Yep.  Pine Bluff High, maybe?

Cobb wouldn't have made it into my top 10 WR from Warren.  I don't think he's really D1.  He ran a 4.76 last spring.

RNHog

Yes, Will Gragg is at Pine Bluff High school.

Warren's RB, Kilay Cox ran for 23 carries and 306 yards 3 touchdowns monday night. If he can grow another inch or two( he is 5'8 ) Arkansas needs to keep their eye on him too.

Last year he ran for 1200 yards as a Freshmen playing up on the high school team.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: RNHog on August 29, 2012, 04:53:45 am
Yes, Will Gragg is at Pine Bluff High school.

Warren's RB, Kilay Cox ran for 23 carries and 306 yards 3 touchdowns monday night. If he can grow another inch or two( he is 5'8 ) Arkansas needs to keep their eye on him too.

Last year he ran for 1200 yards as a Freshmen playing up on the high school team.

What is his build?  The height doesn't matter to me as much as his weight and bone structure.  If he is built like Dennis Johnson then I'm okay with his height.  Of course Michael Smith was a little guy and still ran like he was a big back.
Retired Radio Host

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: jj202020 on August 27, 2012, 09:47:42 pm
I don't think he's really D1.  He ran a 4.76 last spring.
Because 40 time is all that matters to a receiver.
"Rice's 1984 record-breaking season at Mississippi Valley caught the attention of many NFL scouts, but his speed (reportedly only 4.71 in the 40-yard dash)[5] kept most wary,"
Someone should have informed Jerry Rice you have to run a 4.4 to be on Madden rosters.
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

jj202020

No--but speed helps when you have below average hands and difficulty with route running.

And I don't consider MVSU D-1.........

There are always exceptions, but wouldn't you say most D-1 schools want a kid at WR that can run?  Some people..................Lol

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on August 29, 2012, 08:40:57 am
What is his build?  The height doesn't matter to me as much as his weight and bone structure.  If he is built like Dennis Johnson then I'm okay with his height.  Of course Michael Smith was a little guy and still ran like he was a big back.
I have heard that he weighs about 185 lbs

jj202020

He's got a big heart, but he doen't have DJ's speed-----not that that means anything..........

RNHog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on August 29, 2012, 08:40:57 am

If he can get around 195 before his senior year he will be a force to be reckoned with. This kid is built low to the ground, runs with power, and quick at the point of attack. It will be interesting to follow him throughout high school especially since he is a 10th grader.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: RNHog on August 29, 2012, 06:36:59 pm
If he can get around 195 before his senior year he will be a force to be reckoned with. This kid is built low to the ground, runs with power, and quick at the point of attack. It will be interesting to follow him throughout high school especially since he is a 10th grader.

That's what I'm talking about.  I love those kind of backs.  Speed is important and as a 10th grader he seems like he has "good enough" speed.  Can you keep me informed how he does this year?
Retired Radio Host

RNHog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on August 29, 2012, 07:42:35 pm
That's what I'm talking about.  I love those kind of backs.  Speed is important and as a 10th grader he seems like he has "good enough" speed.  Can you keep me informed how he does this year?

He actually looked faster to me than advertised Monday. If he can put on some weight and get his speed up then he will be like a Dennis Johnson RB.

Yes, I will be able to give you information on him. There are also pictures of him on the Warren online paper for his player of the game award and pictures of him in the game if you want the website.

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

#1 STUNNA

I coachex him in flag football back in the day...he had crazy moves

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: jj202020 on August 29, 2012, 12:49:51 pm
No--but speed helps when you have below average hands and difficulty with route running.

And I don't consider MVSU D-1.........

There are always exceptions, but wouldn't you say most D-1 schools want a kid at WR that can run?  Some people..................Lol
So Jerry Rice was good enough to be NFL hall of fame but not DI?  ???

I think you misunderstand reported times and actual times.  Not every receiver runs a 4.4.  I don't care what Hootens, Scout, and Rivals say.  A 4.7 is pretty fast.  There's only a step or two difference at 40 yards between 4.4 and 4.7. 
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

jj202020

I understand those times very well.  You are right that most "times" are exaggerated.  There are actually very few 4.4's running around.  There are tons of 4.6's tho.  And lots of kids (the Whitmore kid from Nashville is a name that comes to mind) get looked over because of measurables.  But the same clocks that timed Jarius Wright at 4.3 and Greg Childs at 4.58, clocked Jalen at 4.76.  And trust me, there's a HUGE difference in the speed of those guys----not to mention hands, awareness, route running and most importantly --HEART.

Like I said before, Darveon Brown is the one to watch at Warren.  Von Eric Gonder is pretty darn good, too.  Kilay's older brother played at Warren a few years back, and was as tough as nails.  Unfortunately, he didn't grow much after he reached 10th grade.  I'm concerned that Kilay will suffer the same fate.  Cross your fingers!!!

RNHog

Kilay Cox, sophomore running back for the Warren Lumberjacks, has rushed for over 1300 yards this year with 17 touchdowns during the regular season. He started last year for the senior high team as a true Freshman rushing for 1100 yards and now has over 2400 yards in his young high school career.

This young man is built like a bull. He reminds me so much of Dennis Johnson with his downhill run style and run you over style. I hope the hogs have their eye on him. If not someone is going to get a dang good running back.

CallThemHawgs!

Bump here with the Darveon Brown news. This kid needs to be a Hog. In fact, if any kid out of Warren even looks like they might be decent they need an offer.

redeye

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on October 08, 2013, 02:49:11 pm
Bump here with the Darveon Brown news. This kid needs to be a Hog. In fact, if any kid out of Warren even looks like they might be decent they need an offer.

I almost did this last night, but decided against it. But since you did, I'll note that jj202020 deserves credit for spotting talent in Brown.

hogwild210

These kids are going to have it tough if they can't live up to their predecessors.
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogwild210 on October 08, 2013, 04:49:06 pm
These kids are going to have it tough if they can't live up to their predecessors.

Their high school coach, mine you the same for the current and predecssor, is saying these current kids, especially brown, are better than the previous kids at similar points in their life.  That is about all we can go on and hope they come to camps, learn and give the hogs a solid commitment. 

Sadly Gus is right there!

Wahls

Quote from: jj202020 on August 30, 2012, 12:47:46 pm
I understand those times very well.  You are right that most "times" are exaggerated.  There are actually very few 4.4's running around.  There are tons of 4.6's tho.  And lots of kids (the Whitmore kid from Nashville is a name that comes to mind) get looked over because of measurables.

Aj Whitmore was never a straightline guy. He was just elusive. Wish he would have gotten a look at QB in college. He could legitimately throw a football really well. Was a better QB than receiver by a large margin.
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

Carl Lazlo

Lots of backs only 5'8" like Danny Woodhead for example. Low center of gravity mixed with a down heel running style will produce.  Hopefully he'll stay injury free and continue to improve and sign with the hogs.

RNHog

I believe I read where Darveon already has 10 touchdowns this year. He has already had an impressive junior season.

RNHog

Coach Lunney was on the sidelines tonight at Warren.

Arkansas needs to watch WR Jaylon Marshall. 6'0 170-180 4.5 speed. The kid can make some huge plays. Junior this year.

Wahls

Quote from: RNHog on October 26, 2013, 12:32:12 am
Arkansas needs to watch WR Jaylon Marshall. 6'0 170-180 4.5 speed. The kid can make some huge plays. Junior this year.

I've actually been quietly watching him because I think he ends up at a D2 school as a high level recruit for them. He's not polished enough as a route runner. He's gonna have to improve in that area.
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

RNHog

Good observation. Good thing is he has another year to work on that area.