Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Signing Day Event in the Rock from One Fan's Perspective

Started by The NewEra, February 11, 2018, 08:43:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 12, 2018, 04:42:00 pm
Exactly my thoughts.
Anybody new gets people fired up and excited, overly so.
I was ready for a change, so that's not it. But people were geeked and saying the same exact things when Bielema was hired.

Us old-timer, acerbic types need some results coming in before we get excited, and then it will be justified. Check back with me after Year 3.

I wasn't one of those "geeked" people. I did give Long high marks for hiring CBB but I stated that unless he abandoned his Big Ten offense he would fail. He wouldn't let it go and he failed.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

liljo

Exactly my thoughts.
I was ready for a change, so that's not it. But people were geeked and saying the same exact things when Bielema was hired.

Us old-timer, acerbic types need some results coming in before we get excited, and then it will be justified. Check back with me after Year 3.

I get that, but for me, I like to just go on and get excited now. Enjoy the process of watching this staff go to work now. Be hopeful and fired up now. Back the team heart and soul, now.

Wish I could be as certain as you are that I'll be around to check with after Year 3.

Whoooooo Pig Souieeeeeee!

Right now.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

The NewEra

Quote from: liljo on February 12, 2018, 04:20:33 pm
I tell you what I think would be really nice. That's if Coach Morris, everywhere he looked across this state and online, found TREMENDOUS support right out of the gate. Not a bunch of "prove it to me", but a bunch of "WHOOO PIG SOUIEEE, Coach we believe in you! Do your thing, man, we are behind you all the way!" Negativity won't change what happens anyway. But a state filled with POSITIVITY--if Coach DOES succeed here--could be the difference in keeping him here. Long term.

Better to be positive and wrong than negative and wrong.

That post deserves a BIG +1

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: liljo on February 12, 2018, 04:52:57 pm

I get that, but for me, I like to just go on and get excited now. Enjoy the process of watching this staff go to work now. Be hopeful and fired up now. Back the team heart and soul, now.

Wish I could be as certain as you are that I'll be around to check with after Year 3.

Whoooooo Pig Souieeeeeee!

Right now.
There is definitely some excitement from me, because deep down, you never really know what's going to happen. A change was needed, and it happened. That alone has me more optimistic for sure.

I don't have a good read on Morris yet. I can't say 100% he will not knock it out of the park. Wouldn't expect it, but can't rule it out yet. His resume isn't that long. I do think he's a little sharper than CBB (not that CBB was dumb) but Morris will have more attention to detail and there will be fewer head-scratching moments. Morris will stay on top of things. I do think after five years he will have a better record than CBB, but I'm not sure how good yet. Petrino is still the gold standard to me (finishing #5 after four years) and I don't expect that good from Chad. Something in between.

Wild Boarnado

I tell you what I think would be really nice. That's if Coach Morris, everywhere he looked across this state and online, found TREMENDOUS support right out of the gate. Not a bunch of "prove it to me", but a bunch of "WHOOO PIG SOUIEEE, Coach we believe in you! Do your thing, man, we are behind you all the way!" Negativity won't change what happens anyway. But a state filled with POSITIVITY--if Coach DOES succeed here--could be the difference in keeping him here. Long term.

BIG +1 Wooooo PIG!
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

The NewEra

Exactly my thoughts.

I'm an old timer and I remember this a little differently.  I remember early on a lot of people saying Bielema needs to quit shooting his mouth off about multiple topics quite soon after his arrival.

In Morris case I don't see him doing a lot of talking except to recruits and high school coaches.  From my perspective I don't see many, if any similarities between Bielema and Morris.

It won't take me three years to see if Morris is a good coach.  I'll have it figured out this season by the way the group he has on campus plays the game of football.

Like liljo, I'll opt for being excited now.  I don't want to miss out on the joy of watching the program gradually improve under Morris.  If by some strange chance it doesn't happen then I'll be disappointed, but I can handle it.  I've been there before.

PorkBilly

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on February 12, 2018, 03:55:38 pm
CM graduated from A&M. He is all about believing in someone. A&M never really gave him any consideration. Basically they didn't believe in him!! Im sure this bothered him real bad. I have talked to a couple folks with close ties, and they say the other Coaches should build their Dream house, Arkansas is where he is staying!!
I'm not a social media person, but do see some of the tweets, or whatever they are called, on the boards. Did anyone happen to see one from Morris about Fayetteville having a #5 rating of "the best places in the country to live"? He took it one step further by saying it is the standard "best" in the SEC. Until he gives us a reason to doubt, I'm all in with his approach to the Razorbacks....."best".

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: The NewEra on February 13, 2018, 07:40:35 am
I'm an old timer and I remember this a little differently.  I remember early on a lot of people saying Bielema needs to quit shooting his mouth off about multiple topics quite soon after his arrival.

In Morris case I don't see him doing a lot of talking except to recruits and high school coaches.  From my perspective I don't see many, if any similarities between Bielema and Morris.

It won't take me three years to see if Morris is a good coach.  I'll have it figured out this season by the way the group he has on campus plays the game of football.

Like liljo, I'll opt for being excited now.  I don't want to miss out on the joy of watching the program gradually improve under Morris.  If by some strange chance it doesn't happen then I'll be disappointed, but I can handle it.  I've been there before.
Three years is the gold standard for judgments, I think, but you're right, there will be good signs or bad signs right away.
In CBB's first year, we lost a 24-7 lead in the second half to Rutgers. We also allowed LSU to go 99 yards with less than two minutes left to beat us 31-27.
Those types of games were prevalent thruout CBB's tenure and they were apparent right away. People glossed over it 'it's just the first year...'
Also, Arkansas had NEVER had a 0-8 season in the SEC....until Bielema arrived. It's amazing there wasn't more finger-pointing that year but most people blew it off as 'it's just the first year, look at the mess he inherited from John L Smith, etc etc'. But we left several winnable SEC games on the table in 2013. We usually managed to find ways to lose.

The things that led to Bielema's dismissal were there from the start.

hoglady

Also - makes life a lot more fun.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

The NewEra

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 13, 2018, 10:00:39 am
Three years is the gold standard for judgments, I think, but you're right, there will be good signs or bad signs right away.
In CBB's first year, we lost a 24-7 lead in the second half to Rutgers. We also allowed LSU to go 99 yards with less than two minutes left to beat us 31-27.
Those types of games were prevalent thruout CBB's tenure and they were apparent right away. People glossed over it 'it's just the first year...'
Also, Arkansas had NEVER had a 0-8 season in the SEC....until Bielema arrived. It's amazing there wasn't more finger-pointing that year but most people blew it off as 'it's just the first year, look at the mess he inherited from John L Smith, etc etc'. But we left several winnable SEC games on the table in 2013. We usually managed to find ways to lose.

The things that led to Bielema's dismissal were there from the start.

Agreed!

It's painful to read the rehash of what happened during his tenure and you only addressed the first 20% of his time here.  Bielema said he was going to give Arkansas something they never had before and he did.  I have no idea how many records of the wrong kind he broke while here, but there were many and they were painful to watch.

We'll know pretty soon if this staff can coach or not and I'm placing my bet on the affirmative. 

jgphillips3

I was hesitant on Morris at first, but the more I see I am becoming convinced that, if we give him time, he will be better than Petrino was here.  He has a plan, focus and drive.  He has the right connections and immediately identified our defensive deficiencies and set to work on them with assistant coaches and recruiting.  If he can bump the recruiting into the teens, he will be here a long, long time.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 13, 2018, 01:32:31 pm
I was hesitant on Morris at first, but the more I see I am becoming convinced that, if we give him time, he will be better than Petrino was here.  He has a plan, focus and drive.  He has the right connections and immediately identified our defensive deficiencies and set to work on them with assistant coaches and recruiting.  If he can bump the recruiting into the teens, he will be here a long, long time.
Better than Petrino?
"Are you kidding about that, Clark?" (gratuitous Christmas Vacation quote thrown in here)

Interestingly, in the early days of Bielema, I proposed a wager that at any time in CBB's first four years, would we finish as high as #5 in the country. I believe $1000 was mentioned. No one took me up on it. The CBB crowd was all hat, no cattle.
What Petrino did was amazing.
I'm almost willing to make the same offer now. In Chad Morris's first four years, will he finish any season #5 or higher.
I say no.
Any takers?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Malvin on February 11, 2018, 10:53:12 am
Keep in mind that I'm sure in BB's first 3 months he had the same effect, after 5 years of getting destroyed by our fans it would turn anybody into what BB became.  The key is you have to win.. winning and losing shapes who you are after a few years.  BB's ultimate problem was that he couldn't get it done (win) which creates a negative situation for all.

Also I'm not a BB fan, glad he is gone 100%.. just saying enjoy the new fresh air, but don't be fooled by it.  The results on the field is what matters.

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on February 11, 2018, 02:54:16 pm
Get ready for negs to come your way. Realistic thinking isn't well received here

Your claim a balance between Realism vs Optimism, but in truth you just fear disappointment...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Redhogs

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 13, 2018, 11:44:15 pm
Better than Petrino?
"Are you kidding about that, Clark?" (gratuitous Christmas Vacation quote thrown in here)

Interestingly, in the early days of Bielema, I proposed a wager that at any time in CBB's first four years, would we finish as high as #5 in the country. I believe $1000 was mentioned. No one took me up on it. The CBB crowd was all hat, no cattle.
I'm almost willing to make the same offer now. In Chad Morris's first four years, will he finish any season #5 or higher.
I say no.
Any takers?
Hope you are wrong...but fear you may be right, we'll see. Feel allot better about CCM than I ever did about the windbreaker though.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

liljo

Better than Petrino?

I say no.
Any takers?

I believe we'll hit the Top 5. Finishing there takes the whole combo. Skill and hard work, talent, a few lucky breaks...But during the course of the season, I believe this staff will build a team that will be in the Top 10, and on any given weekend move into the Top 5.

I really do. And that would be enough to keep me VERY happy about Arkansas football. I just want to see us reach a level that each and every Saturday there is a truly realistic chance of a victory. We won't win them all, I know that! This league is just amazing, but I'd love to see the Arkansas Razorbacks be a team that every single opponent spends a very focused week preparing for. A team that NOBODY takes for granted.

Give me that, and I'll be a Happy Hog. (Well, actually I already am, because I believe in this team). I'm rooting for them Right Now just a strong as I'd be if they won the National Championship.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

liljo

hawgon

I'm not going to predict that Morris does as well as Petrino but I do think that he possesses a similar drive and attention to detail.  But I also believe that being a complete arsehole was essential to Petrino's success.  So, we'll see if a softer version can work as well.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on February 12, 2018, 03:55:38 pm
CM graduated from A&M. He is all about believing in someone. A&M never really gave him any consideration. Basically they didn't believe in him!! Im sure this bothered him real bad. I have talked to a couple folks with close ties, and they say the other Coaches should build their Dream house, Arkansas is where he is staying!!
Agreed. Assistants are already saying things like, "He'd NEVER go to A&M".
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

The NewEra

Quote from: liljo on February 14, 2018, 10:00:41 am
I believe we'll hit the Top 5. Finishing there takes the whole combo. Skill and hard work, talent, a few lucky breaks...But during the course of the season, I believe this staff will build a team that will be in the Top 10, and on any given weekend move into the Top 5.

I really do. And that would be enough to keep me VERY happy about Arkansas football. I just want to see us reach a level that each and every Saturday there is a truly realistic chance of a victory. We won't win them all, I know that! This league is just amazing, but I'd love to see the Arkansas Razorbacks be a team that every single opponent spends a very focused week preparing for. A team that NOBODY takes for granted.

Give me that, and I'll be a Happy Hog. (Well, actually I already am, because I believe in this team). I'm rooting for them Right Now just a strong as I'd be if they won the National Championship.

If this comes to pass and I hope it does because I'm a believer in Morris also, then it will get hard once again to find tickets to the game.  This program is starving for a competent, competitive football team. 

The NewEra

Quote from: hawgon on February 14, 2018, 10:11:53 am
I'm not going to predict that Morris does as well as Petrino but I do think that he possesses a similar drive and attention to detail.  But I also believe that being a complete arsehole was essential to Petrino's success.  So, we'll see if a softer version can work as well.

I'm not sure if Morris is a softer version, but a non crude version.  Morris truly cares about the players.  I never got that impression about Petrino.  Actually, it was just the opposite.  Young men know when you care.

hawgon

Quote from: The NewEra on February 14, 2018, 10:24:06 am
I'm not sure if Morris is a softer version, but a non crude version.  Morris truly cares about the players.  I never got that impression about Petrino.  Actually, it was just the opposite.  Young men know when you care.

Oh, I think Petrino cared.  He was just too old school to go out of his way to show it.  And besides, it doesn't matter in life if your boss actually cares about you or not.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I've been saying this for years... +1
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 12, 2018, 11:23:16 pm
There is definitely some excitement from me, because deep down, you never really know what's going to happen. A change was needed, and it happened. That alone has me more optimistic for sure.

I don't have a good read on Morris yet. I can't say 100% he will not knock it out of the park. Wouldn't expect it, but can't rule it out yet. His resume isn't that long. I do think he's a little sharper than CBB (not that CBB was dumb) but Morris will have more attention to detail and there will be fewer head-scratching moments. Morris will stay on top of things. I do think after five years he will have a better record than CBB, but I'm not sure how good yet. Petrino is still the gold standard to me (finishing #5 after four years) and I don't expect that good from Chad. Something in between.

I tell you what bubba, Petrino didn't even try to build a defense until year 3. Morris hit the ground running building a defense. If you can't see that he's already a leg up on Petrino in every way at this very same point in their tenures at Arkansas then I can't help you. You may want to take an antacerbic...

kibster

I didn't get a chance to talk to all of the coaches at the event, but I do want to make a correction to the OP (*gets ready for the boos and hisses*). He did not say that his son is coming here.  He did say that his daughter is coming here to work with him and go to graduate school.  He said his son is a QB at Highland Park (why he saw so many of Jones' games) and that "he should have an opportunity to play at a high level if that is the direction he decides to go."   
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Better than Petrino?

I say no.
Any takers?

I'll take your bet..!

Plus I'll make another side bet with anyone (1) willing that this liar won't pay up... That means that I risk $1000 to nothing that he doesn't welch...

liljo

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 14, 2018, 10:48:02 am
I'll take your bet..!

Plus I'll make another side bet with anyone (1) willing that this liar won't pay up... That means that I risk $1000 to nothing that he doesn't welch...

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PIG, SOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Closer to the Red-White game, if you plan on going, holler at me. I'll cook you up a burger and some dogs, shake your hand and call them Hogs!

...my Hog Rootin' brother!

Pig in the Pokey

To those Blind MFers who can't tell Morris is gonna kill it. -  Y'all sound like the Petrino doubters!! Y'all are going to look dumb and blind af! Like, seriously!! How can anyone not see what's coming? LOL!!

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: liljo on February 14, 2018, 10:51:42 am

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PIG, SOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Closer to the Red-White game, if you plan on going, holler at me. I'll cook you up a burger and some dogs, shake your hand and call them Hogs!

...my Hog Rootin' brother!
You got it Jo... Keep the faith pigga!

hoghearted

Quote from: The NewEra on February 14, 2018, 10:24:06 am

I'm reminded of his reaction to the passing of Garrett Uekman ( not sure I spelled his name right). As I recall, he was pretty broken up about it. We played LSU following his passing,IIRC, and may have been a factor in his reaction/response to Lester in that game.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

GuvHog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 14, 2018, 10:44:11 am
I tell you what bubba, Petrino didn't even try to build a defense until year 3. Morris hit the ground running building a defense. If you can't see that he's already a leg up on Petrino in every way at this very same point in their tenures at Arkansas then I can't help you. You may want to take an antacerbic...

Petrino's biggest problem on defense was keeping Willy Robinson a year too long. Willy was a last minute replacement after the DC that Petrino originally hired went to South Carolina.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 14, 2018, 10:48:02 am
I'll take your bet..!

Wow, everyone is so tough on the internet.

Please tell me, exactly what did I lie about?

Or, I could just as easily call you a liar. You won't pay up, you're a liar. See how easy this is?

Remember, it said finish the season #5 or higher in any one of Chad Morris's first four seasons. But I didn't specify which poll. So let's just use the final AP poll, since the Hogs were #5 in that final poll after 2011.

This is a wager I really can't lose. I don't want to lose money, but if I do, that means the Hogs have done exceptionally well, so I'm happy.
But my head is telling me this is a very high standard to meet, so I'll probably win this bet and win $1000 from you.
I win either way, which is why I proposed it.

I won't forget this, so you better think long and hard about what you just got yourself into.

247Hog

If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

LZH

Pretty damn weird. Wth?

Gotta give you a hard time. Good job.

wildhogman

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 12, 2018, 11:23:16 pm

Petrino, you boys and your love affair with the boob man.  He NEVER made to the SECCG let alone win one. atleast NUTT can say he made it, TWICE.  My gold standard would be Holtz and Broyles.  They could both hire talented coaches, Boob man just hired yes men.  I truly hope Morris surpasses Coach P and makes the boys club forget about booby

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: wildhogman on February 15, 2018, 05:48:49 pm
Petrino, you boys and your love affair with the boob man.  He NEVER made to the SECCG let alone win one. atleast NUTT can say he made it, TWICE.  My gold standard would be Holtz and Broyles.  They could both hire talented coaches, Boob man just hired yes men.  I truly hope Morris surpasses Coach P and makes the boys club forget about booby
Where you're wrong is that I also hope Morris surpasses Petrino, because that will mean he has done extremely well and the program is flourishing.
I don't have a fixation on any coach, but I can acknowledge job performance. That's all I do, and Petrino's was excellent.
I also don't hate on Houston Nutt as some do, I think he did a fine job here. Not quite as good as Petrino, but nice. Nutt did not coach against Nick Saban at Alabama, except for 2007. That's the main difference. Apples and oranges. If Alabama or LSU, etc have good coaching, they are hard to beat. They don't always have good coaching, but Bama certainly does now.
You can't compare Holtz and Broyles with 100% accuracy, again apples and oranges somewhat, because they didn't coach in the SEC. Not knocking them at all, they're two of the greatest, but a different time and conference now.
For the record, all things considered, I do consider Broyles the greatest Hog football coach.

GuvHog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 15, 2018, 07:10:33 pm
Where you're wrong is that I also hope Morris surpasses Petrino, because that will mean he has done extremely well and the program is flourishing.
I don't have a fixation on any coach, but I can acknowledge job performance. That's all I do, and Petrino's was excellent.
I also don't hate on Houston Nutt as some do, I think he did a fine job here. Not quite as good as Petrino, but nice. Nutt did not coach against Nick Saban at Alabama, except for 2007. That's the main difference. Apples and oranges. If Alabama or LSU, etc have good coaching, they are hard to beat. They don't always have good coaching, but Bama certainly does now.
You can't compare Holtz and Broyles with 100% accuracy, again apples and oranges somewhat, because they didn't coach in the SEC. Not knocking them at all, they're two of the greatest, but a different time and conference now.
For the record, all things considered, I do consider Broyles the greatest Hog football coach.

To be perfectly honest, Lou Holtz was a great game day field coach but he was a poor recruiter.

wildhogman

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 15, 2018, 07:10:33 pm
your wrong, apples to apples. Holtz bagged his elephant when he beat OU in the orange bowl. How did Booby do in his one big time bowl, BCS appearance. 
CBP had a beautiful offense that gave people hope. But he had a terrible staff. If they were half decent we would have won atleast 6 games in 2012 even with players leading and calling plays. They weren't.  Bobby left here to go to western Kentucky and then back to looserville.  Holtz left here for Minn, then Notre Dame where he won a MNC. 
I could go on, but there really isn't any point. I'll give Bobby props, he is a good coach and really good play caller. But great?

GuvHog

Quote from: wildhogman on February 15, 2018, 11:28:30 pm
your wrong, apples to apples. Holtz bagged his elephant when he beat OU in the orange bowl. How did Booby do in his one big time bowl, BCS appearance. 
CBP had a beautiful offense that gave people hope. But he had a terrible staff. If they were half decent we would have won atleast 6 games in 2012 even with players leading and calling plays. They weren't.  Bobby left here to go to western Kentucky and then back to looserville.  Holtz left here for Minn, then Notre Dame where he won a MNC. 
I could go on, but there really isn't any point. I'll give Bobby props, he is a good coach and really good play caller. But great?

Therein lies the problem. Lou Holtz was such a poor recruiter that the program declined after that Orange Bowl win with Frank's players. Lou never could come close to replicating that with players he recruited. Bobby built the program from almost the ground up and had it not been for a young freshman's mistake on a blocked Ohio State punt, the Hogs might have had a shot at a National Title. They would at the very least have had back to back top 5 finishes.

oldhawg

Quote from: GuvHog on February 16, 2018, 06:56:25 am
Therein lies the problem. Lou Holtz was such a poor recruiter that the program declined after that Orange Bowl win with Frank's players. Lou never could come close to replicating that with players he recruited. Bobby built the program from almost the ground up and had it not been for a young freshman's mistake on a blocked Ohio State punt, the Hogs might have had a shot at a National Title. They would at the very least have had back to back top 5 finishes.

Arkansas was #8 playing #6 Ohio State in the 2011 (I think) Sugar Bowl.

BCS championship game in 2011 was played between #1 Auburn (who beat Arkansas) and #2 Oregon.

No chance for a national championship for Arkansas even if they had beaten Ohio State, but probably a top five finish.

wildhogman

Quote from: GuvHog on February 16, 2018, 06:56:25 am
They might have finished higher but the problems would still be there. And recruiting was nose diving with too little instate talent and to many rsik players washing out.  I doubt bobby could have ever done more then he did. I think he would have been more inline with Nuts record only without the off field distractions, except for his onw distraction.
This is year 5 for him back at looserville. Still no 10 win season, no conference championship, and they ended the seaon in a questionable way.  It'll be interesting to see what season 5 and the future bring for him.

CFB_Fanatic

GuvHog

Quote from: wildhogman on February 16, 2018, 11:24:41 am
They might have finished higher but the problems would still be there. And recruiting was nose diving with too little instate talent and to many rsik players washing out.  I doubt bobby could have ever done more then he did. I think he would have been more inline with Nuts record only without the off field distractions, except for his onw distraction.
This is year 5 for him back at looserville. Still no 10 win season, no conference championship, and they ended the seaon in a questionable way.  It'll be interesting to see what season 5 and the future bring for him.

You're wrong about Petrino's recruiting. Take a look at CBB's 2014 defense (which was his best at Arkansas) and notice how many starters were Petrino recruits. It's no coincidence that CBB's defenses tanked after Petrino's recruits left the program. The false statements claiming that Petrino's recruiting tanked need to stop.

As for his tenure at Louisville, he won at least 8 games a season every year. I would have taken that in a heart beat the last 5 years. Before coming to Arkansas, Bobby led Louisville to a one loss season and a trip to the Orange Bowl so you're wrong about that too.

wildhogman

Quote from: GuvHog on February 20, 2018, 06:48:49 am
You're wrong about Petrino's recruiting. Take a look at CBB's 2014 defense (which was his best at Arkansas) and notice how many starters were Petrino recruits. It's no coincidence that CBB's defenses tanked after Petrino's recruits left the program. The false statements claiming that Petrino's recruiting tanked need to stop.

As for his tenure at Louisville, he won at least 8 games a season every year. I would have taken that in a heart beat the last 5 years. Before coming to Arkansas, Bobby led Louisville to a one loss season and a trip to the Orange Bowl so you're wrong about that too.
I didn't say his tenure. I said Back in looserville. And it stands. NO 10 win season. NO conference championship. NO playoff bid. 
Yes he finally figured out you need defense in this league and it only took him what? 4 years? I had a whole diatribe typed out, but there isn't any point. You think he is great, I think he is just another former coach with a pretty offense that never beat Bama and was 50/50 in games that mattered. 

Hawgphat

My early impression of Bret Bielema was quite positive.  He was gregarious, affable and humorous.  He had experienced an appreciable degree of success in Wisconsin.  He was - and is - a "Good Ole Boy"notable former player, who portended to accomplish great things at Arkansas.  Unfortunately, however, Big Ten Football does not thrive in exemplary fashion when transplanted to the SEC.

I did not turn cartwheels in a burst of unbridled enthusiasm when Chad Morris was officially announced as our new head coach, - - principally because I didn't know much about Morris - apart from his SMU, Clemson and Texas state high school football connections.  I wasn't knowledgeable regarding his overall governing game philosophy, his preferred, detailed offensive and defensive schematics, and his particular applied priorities and methodology.  In the past month, my enthusiasm for Coach Morris and the rest of this new regime has grown and expanded exponentially, I'm happy to say.  I truly believe that good things are in the offing for long-suffering Razorbacks fans.

Those who still lament the departure of Bobby Petrino, obstinately holding him up as having represented "The All-Time Gold Standard" of Arkansas head football coaches are exercising their individual opinion prerogative; but I (and MANY others) do not share that view.  I won't re-plow ground which has already been repeatedly and thoroughly plowed, - - but I was emphatically, 100% in favor of Petrino's dismissal, - - - and I do NOT countenance any conceivable, exploratory efforts to bring him back here at any point in the future.

HognitiveDissonance

February 20, 2018, 05:17:16 pm #94 Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 05:27:33 pm by HognitiveDissonance
Quote from: wildhogman on February 20, 2018, 10:41:38 am
I didn't say his tenure. I said Back in looserville. And it stands. NO 10 win season. NO conference championship. NO playoff bid. 
Yes he finally figured out you need defense in this league and it only took him what? 4 years? I had a whole diatribe typed out, but there isn't any point. You think he is great, I think he is just another former coach with a pretty offense that never beat Bama and was 50/50 in games that mattered.
Such an ignorant statement. 'Games that matter'.
Seems to me like they all matter.

After going through a recent six-year stretch of losing lots of those games 'that don't matter', how foolish is it to take any game for granted, especially SEC games?
Or, after winning lots of games 'that don't matter', the bar is raised to another level. Now, once those 'games that don't matter are taken for granted, the bar is now set to only a few games that really matter. Bama, etc

So instead of rueing the fact Petrino never beat Alabama, maybe we should recognize that his successors didn't either, and more importantly, didn't come close to equally winning those 'games that don't matter'.

Bottom line: I would much rather be 10-2 than 7-5, or 4-7 like this year. EVERY GAME MATTERS, as every win improves your station in life.

Instead of bemoaning the fact that we were 3rd in the SEC West in 2011, I choose to celebrate the fact that we were freakin' 5th in the country. Yes, it stinks that we play in the toughest division in football. But I celebrated our 5th place finish. That's pretty dad-blamed awesome. Haven't been ranked that high since 1977.

Furthermore, you guys are so completely wrong about petrino and defense. You don't think a smart coach like that understands how important defense and the kicking game is? But the real answer is, how many times has Arkansas ever had a great defense? You can count on one hand. So recognizing defense is needed is a different matter than being able to have enough quality athletes to play defense, which has long been an Arkansas problem, regardless of who the coach is. Also, if you're known for great offense, it's obviously easier to recruit great offensive players than vice versa. These points are a far cry from saying the coach doesn't value defense at all. And if you want to continue to argue this, go ahead and list the great defenses in Arkansas football history. I would list: 1964, 1977.   Then, maybe 1969, 1975.  See what I mean? It's a very short list. So maybe you need to realize there's more going on than the 'coach doesn't value defense'.

hoglady

Quote from: GuvHog on February 14, 2018, 01:18:18 pm
Petrino's biggest problem on defense was keeping Willy Robinson a year too long. Willy was a last minute replacement after the DC that Petrino originally hired went to South Carolina.

Willy made better halftime adjustments than most of Bielema's coordinators did.
He was good at that.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hoglady on February 20, 2018, 05:30:46 pm
Willy made better halftime adjustments than most of Bielema's coordinators did.
He was good at that.
Maybe, but the one halftime adjustment I recall was one that Petrino insisted on.
Down 35-17 at half to A&M and getting run all over, Petrino intervened with a different strategy in the second half, and we won 42-38.

GuvHog

Quote from: wildhogman on February 20, 2018, 10:41:38 am

Petrino had a 1 loss season and a trip to the Orange Bowl while at Louisville before coming to Arkansas. I know you don't like to count that year because it goes against your agenda but it did happen and was part of his tenure at Louisville. You're just wrong.

wildhogman

Quote from: GuvHog on February 20, 2018, 05:42:28 pm
Petrino had a 1 loss season and a trip to the Orange Bowl while at Louisville before coming to Arkansas. I know you don't like to count that year because it goes against your agenda but it did happen and was part of his tenure at Louisville. You're just wrong.
Again, one more time, and I wil slow down this time an type it really realllllllllly slow for you.

Since CBP has been back to looserville. ZERO. that's "Z" "E" "R" "O" 10 win seasons.  ZERO conference chamionships. ZERO playoff appearences.  As I said in previous post. Please don't make me research hogville and find the posts and posters who proclaimed he would go back there and win big and how sorry we would be he is gone.
I am not sorry he is gone. Not sorry Holtz was fired. Not sorry Ford, Crowe, Nutt or CBB are fired. Not sorry Hatfeild decided to move on.  In each case it was time for them to go.  And I will say it again, the longer CP stays put, the more the truth will shine. Average HC with a great offense that is pretty and entertains fans. And before someone jumps in here with "I'll take avg over CBB, if that's what we want, we might as well kept the Nutt. Back to CBP, I leave you with this last line
What he did BEFORE he came here matters about as much as what CBB did before he came here. ZERO 

PorkFromOrk

+1 as soon as I can figure out how to do it.