Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Take it from an OU fan

Started by arkasooner, December 30, 2017, 08:42:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

arkasooner

I'm a transplant from OK, having been a Sooner fan all my life. I have sandwiched my support of Arkansas around the '78 Orange Bowl, with some insufferable Hog fans giving me grief bordering on harassment for nine years, until the rematch. I remember distinctly detesting what I perceived to be the fickle fans of the Hogs, who moaned and wailed in the month leading up to Miami, when Holtz unleashed his Jedi mind trick game plan. I was in awe when I heard he had the Hog DBs practicing a prevent defense, which meant of course OU would be desperately playing catch-up, doing what the one thing they weren't comfortable doing: throwing the ball. Amazingly, OU had to ditch the wishbone wizard, Thomas Lott and insert senior Dean Blevins, who was a better passer. Still got creamed.

I knew in the lead-up, however, that Arkansas was a damn good team. That's why I was so astonished by the defeatist attitude of Hog fans. I didn't think you guys deserved such an elite team. Dan Hampton? Are you kidding me? Calcagni? That O-line? Wow.

Before that, because of family ties, I was always a big supporter of the Hogs and rooted for them always. In the last few years, I've taken it back up again.

Which brings me to my point. I've read all the whining and lamenting on this board—everything from "We're not an elite program; we'll always be second-class," to Arkansas can't recruit elite athletes or compete in other ways. "Chad Morris is a horrible hire!" Et cetera.

Listen to a voice of reason.

I sense Arkansas football is heading into a banner season, as in era. Morris will be a home-run hire. Can't recruit elite athletes? You think Norman OK is a destination for people? Manhatten KS? Heck, Columbus OH?

Your problem is between the ears and in the chest cavity. Grow up and support your team! Arkansas might not be a bluest of the blue blood programs, but consider things like this: when I realized that Frank Broyles won seven SWC championships in 20 years—precisely in the era Texas was dominant and programs like A&M were really good...I was astonished! That was a mind-boggling achievement.

This is a solid program with a rich history. Arkansas is a breathtaking, beautiful state. Wal-Mart. Tyson. JB Hunt. Et cetera. Heck, around the corner from the Walton's museum in downtown Bentonville, I ran into an office for Dream Works. Dream Works! Who else has what Arkansas has? Nobody!

You also have to keep in mind that programs turn things around totally within a year or two, all the time. OU was dreadful for a decade after Switzer was forced out. Stoops won it all in his second season. Three of our Heisman winners (out of six) have come in the last 14 years! Clemson hired Swiney and off she went. Georgia was mired in averageness for YEARS until Smart was hired. Now they are in the Rose Bowl with as good a chance to win it all as anyone.

Not all of you of course are fickle. You know what you have and are proud of the program and cheer every Saturday, come what may. But the rest of you? I don't know that you deserve such a great team.

And hey, you may think I'm full of it, or just an idiot Okie. But take it from someone who has followed a Blue Blood program for decades: I believe there is at least some connection between passionate, committed fans and the team's performance.

I was at the famous "Jump Around" game between OU and Texas Tech in 2008. The atmosphere was insane. I've been to Owen Field many times but that night was transcendent. Going to concessions, I could feel the concrete under my feet vibrate and the stadium literally seemed to be swaying. Electric atmosphere. Afterward, the dour Stoops thanked the fans for helping to make the difference. Tech came in ranked very high and got demolished.

Shoot for that. I once had the privilege of visiting Broyles in his office, after the stadium expansion. I looked out of the huge picture window and remember thinking that there isn't a more impressive stadium in the country. Just gorgeous. Nestled in these hills.

It would take me days to list all the state's positive attributes and quite awhile to list the football program's potentials. National championships might not happen, but then again, Arkansas has as good a chance as anyone. Franchises shift. Saban is nearing retirement. Arkansas could absolutely fill that void.

You guys have a jewel. A rare gift. Build on the excellent tradition you have and get behind your team, dammit! Stop with the second-class citizens bit. Stop with the defeatist attitude. Stop with the Switzer hatred/jealousy. Stop hating on OU. It sickens me. Go out and make your own luck.

Some champions are born, some are made. I am rooting for the program and Chad Morris to take you to new heights.

I hope you will deserve it.

k.c.hawg

December 30, 2017, 08:47:29 am #1 Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 09:36:33 am by k.c.hawg
Were you just wanting to get curb stomped on Hogville!!?? These people know not what you speak of!!! And a first post?? Seek cover!!

Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: arkasooner on December 30, 2017, 08:42:42 am
Stop with the second-class citizens bit. Stop with the defeatist attitude. Stop with the Switzer hatred/jealousy. Stop hating on OU. It sickens me. Go out and make your own luck.

WGAS about OU?

Inhogswetrust

Well I guess it's time to go for awhile. Someone deleted a post of mine that was not even close to being as bad as others I've read. I thought we could have a little fun in the off season. Guess not anymore.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogtimes

Go preach  on the OU board..... we will hate on OU all we want.

Redhogs

I'm a transplant from OK, having been a Sooner fan all my life. I have sandwiched my support of Arkansas around the '78 Orange Bowl, with some insufferable Hog fans giving me grief bordering on harassment for nine years, until the rematch. I remember distinctly detesting what I perceived to be the fickle fans of the Hogs, who moaned and wailed in the month leading up to Miami, when Holtz unleashed his Jedi mind trick game plan. I was in awe when I heard he had the Hog DBs practicing a prevent defense, which meant of course OU would be desperately playing catch-up, doing what the one thing they weren't comfortable doing: throwing the ball. Amazingly, OU had to ditch the wishbone wizard, Thomas Lott and insert senior Dean Blevins, who was a better passer. Still got creamed.

I knew in the lead-up, however, that Arkansas was a damn good team. That's why I was so astonished by the defeatist attitude of Hog fans. I didn't think you guys deserved such an elite team. Dan Hampton? Are you kidding me? Calcagni? That O-line? Wow.

Before that, because of family ties, I was always a big supporter of the Hogs and rooted for them always. In the last few years, I've taken it back up again.

Which brings me to my point. I've read all the whining and lamenting on this board—everything from "We're not an elite program; we'll always be second-class," to Arkansas can't recruit elite athletes or compete in other ways. "Chad Morris is a horrible hire!" Et cetera.

I sense Arkansas football is heading into a banner season, as in era. Morris will be a home-run hire. Can't recruit elite athletes? You think Norman OK is a destination for people? Manhatten KS? Heck, Columbus OH?

Your problem is between the ears and in the chest cavity. Grow up and support your team! Arkansas might not be a bluest of the blue blood programs, but consider things like this: when I realized that Frank Broyles won seven SWC championships in 20 years—precisely in the era Texas was dominant and programs like A&M were really good...I was astonished! That was a mind-boggling achievement.

This is a solid program with a rich history. Arkansas is a breathtaking, beautiful state. Wal-Mart. Tyson. JB Hunt. Et cetera. Heck, around the corner from the Walton's museum in downtown Bentonville, I ran into an office for Dream Works. Dream Works! Who else has what Arkansas has? Nobody!

You also have to keep in mind that programs turn things around totally within a year or two, all the time. OU was dreadful for a decade after Switzer was forced out. Stoops won it all in his second season. Three of our Heisman winners (out of six) have come in the last 14 years! Clemson hired Swiney and off she went. Georgia was mired in averageness for YEARS until Smart was hired. Now they are in the Rose Bowl with as good a chance to win it all as anyone.

Not all of you of course are fickle. You know what you have and are proud of the program and cheer every Saturday, come what may. But the rest of you? I don't know that you deserve such a great team.

And hey, you may think I'm full of it, or just an idiot Okie. But take it from someone who has followed a Blue Blood program for decades: I believe there is at least some connection between passionate, committed fans and the team's performance.

I was at the famous "Jump Around" game between OU and Texas Tech in 2008. The atmosphere was insane. I've been to Owen Field many times but that night was transcendent. Going to concessions, I could feel the concrete under my feet vibrate and the stadium literally seemed to be swaying. Electric atmosphere. Afterward, the dour Stoops thanked the fans for helping to make the difference. Tech came in ranked very high and got demolished.

Shoot for that. I once had the privilege of visiting Broyles in his office, after the stadium expansion. I looked out of the huge picture window and remember thinking that there isn't a more impressive stadium in the country. Just gorgeous. Nestled in these hills.

It would take me days to list all the state's positive attributes and quite awhile to list the football program's potentials. National championships might not happen, but then again, Arkansas has as good a chance as anyone. Franchises shift. Saban is nearing retirement. Arkansas could absolutely fill that void.

You guys have a jewel. A rare gift. Build on the excellent tradition you have and get behind your team, dammit! Stop with the second-class citizens bit. Stop with the defeatist attitude. Stop with the Switzer hatred/jealousy. Stop hating on OU. It sickens me. Go out and make your own luck.

Some champions are born, some are made. I am rooting for the program and Chad Morris to take you to new heights.

Bravo..best post on hogville in last 5 years.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: Hogtimes on December 30, 2017, 08:54:09 am
Are you even able to read??
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hawgbawb

I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

Hoggish1

I hope Hogville's "brightest and best" get to read this.  Thank you!

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Redhogs on December 30, 2017, 08:55:47 am
Are you even able to read??
Reciting words out loud and reading comprehension are two totally different things, and he definitely doesn't have the comprehension part
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

bphi11ips

Quote from: Redhogs on December 30, 2017, 08:54:35 am

Agreed.  Thanks for taking the time draft the OP.  Lanny should require every member to read as a condition to next post.

+1

You may know that Bob Stoops recently called Arkansas a sleeping giant. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

racinghog

Are you related to, coached with, coached against or associated with CCM? We have been inundated with these new posters since the first week of Dec.

Pork Twain

You need to delete your account.  You are far too positive for the good ole boys on Hogville to understand
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

rtr

Much truth spoken by the OP.  It pains me to see our program even our state denigrated by those who purport to support the Razorbacks.  Especially the so-called "realists", they try to convince themselves of their intelligence.  They are nothing but pretenders.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

dmfdds

Probably an honor graduate of the Evelyn Woodhead spedredding course!! 🤣

Lanlord

Two different camps here at Hogville.  One that thinks we can get Gruden, Saban, etc to come coach at Arkansas and the other camp who thinks nobody would want to come coach here.  The truth is somewhere in the middle.

blu

Quote from: Lanlord on December 30, 2017, 09:16:39 am
Two different camps here at Hogville.  One that thinks we can get Gruden, Saban, etc to come coach at Arkansas and the other camp who thinks nobody would want to come coach here.  The truth is somewhere in the middle.

So there are really 3 camps here then. Those of us who camp somewhere in the middle.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

NuttinItUp

Quote from: blu on December 30, 2017, 09:19:41 am
So there are really 3 camps here then. Those of us who camp somewhere in the middle.

I love camping. Roasting marshmallows is the best.

Hog Waller

Great post...which is my beef with the OP.

I hate it when an outsider comes in and makes HV look like a bunch of simpleton idiots.

duckman

Your parents obviously used lead based paint...

rtr

Quote from: Lanlord on December 30, 2017, 09:16:39 am
Maybe not Saban or Gruden but we have hired Bobby Petrino and heck, Bielema was a successful coach in a Power 5 conference.  I think we have made a great hire.  Worried about Chavis at first but they are surrounding him with a great staff of defensive coaches.  Hammerdown and FullTiltBoogie!!!

opineonswine

Very nice. Thank you. And such positive, good advice.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: rtr on December 30, 2017, 09:06:25 am
Much truth spoken by the OP.  It pains me to see our program even our state denigrated by those who purport to support the Razorbacks.  Especially the so-called "realists", they try to convince themselves of their intelligence.  They are nothing but pretenders.

Uh, the realist are a lot closer to saying the things the OP stated than you who want to keep a coach who couldn't win.  You did notice he said Switzer was fired didn't you?  There were meltdowns aplenty in soonerland for quite awhile there and still is with every loss.   

I hype Arkansas every chance I get but way too many of the big dogs on this board think that we as fans just need to settle for whatever the current administration is doing.  Guess what, I don't know what the OP thinks about the way Okie got to where they are but I can tell you it's wasn't by settling for mediocrity.  Way too many on this board don't think Arkansas can do it but that's not the realist it's the ones who constantly settle for whatever the administration dishes out and for the last 30 years that's been pretty bad.

rtr

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 30, 2017, 09:23:38 am
Uh, the realist are a lot closer to saying the things the OP stated than you who want to keep a coach who couldn't win.  You did notice he said Switzer was fired didn't you?  There were meltdowns aplenty in soonerland for quite awhile there and still is with every loss.   

I hype Arkansas every chance I get but way too many of the big dogs on this board think that we as fans just need to settle for whatever the current administration is doing.  Guess what, I don't know what the OP thinks about the way Okie got to where they are but I can tell you it's wasn't by settling for mediocrity.  Way too many on this board don't think Arkansas can do it but that's not the realist it's the ones who constantly settle for whatever the administration dishes out and for the last 30 years that's been pretty bad.
I posted Bielema was not right for Arkansas from beginning.  Got the smites to prove it. 

Justagp

Thank you for your great post! Reading this was a nice way to begin the day.  :)

AirWarren

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 30, 2017, 09:05:46 am
You need to delete your account.  You are far too positive for the good ole boys on Hogville to understand

Second this.

That was a great post. Even I was inspired lol

Seebs

I liked it. Thanks.

Now for the potpourri of comments including but not limited to:

Screw you OU fan
Go home carpetbagger
Die Yankee scum
Too long, didn't read
I make more money than you
OU cheats
Thanks for writing that Eric Mitchel and/or Keith Jackson
Barry Switzer is a drunk
What would OU know about running backs? We had Peyton Hillis!
Chad Morris lost games at SMU
Don't use fancy words on this board - what is this Championship thing?

Anyway - thank you for posting.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Dark Helmet Hog

RebelliousHog

Great post.

Ignore the haters. Haters gotta hate.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

huntindoc

Great post and better advice!  WPS!

The NewEra

+1  You speak as someone who has seen enough football to put things in perspective.  You did an excellent job of laying out the many things some fans on this board seem to want to overlook.  I've felt for a long time that most of the nay sayer's on this board are young people who have zero perspective past the John L years.  Some just like wallowing in their own misery.  Arkansas is one great football coach, with the ability to recruit Texas talent, away from a resurgence of greatness.  I think Morris may very well be that guy. 

From Tusk Till Dawn

It was a good post, good read.  I'm just thinking out loud here but i wonder what the sooners would look like if they were in the SEC for the last 30 years.  You never know, in a few years we may find out.

Piglet

Although I haven't been posting very long, I have been reading both the negative posts and the positive posts on this board for a couple of years.  I will admit I still get pumped  up after a win and discouraged after a loss but not like I did early in life.  When we lost the "Big Shootout" game in '69, I went into a deep funk.  One of my best friends at the UofA quit school because he couldn't stand to walk by the football field anymore.  If there had been social media at that time, I no doubt would have been moaning and groaning on it.

I think a lot of the negative posting is people venting their frustration.  They have invested a lot of emotion in the team and losing hurts.  They may actually love the Razorbacks as much or more than the "sunshine pumpers".

The bottom line is negativity is not all bad.  It means the posters still care.  Apathy is a much worse problem.
Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.

Hogredandwhite

100% agree with OP. CCM isn't the coach I wanted, heck he was the only coach I didn't want. But I'm excited, he maybe the coach we need. Looking forward to cheer on the Hawgs with CCM .

DoctorSusscrofa

Rah-rah. Oklahoma HAS a long and mostly consistent tradition of WINNING that produces great recruiting of both players and new coaches. Arkansas does not have that. We CAN develop it.  But it will take time, talent, and luck. We had Nolan Richardson in basketball and he had a GREAT 7-8 year run. But it didn't produce long term success. He struggled at the beginning of his tenure and faded some at the end.  We didn't have a return to greatness coachingwise or playerwise just because we had one short era of greatness. Sutton and Richardson were great coaches. But our program is up and down. Our football program is even farther away from long term greatness than basketball because in football we've had some disastrous seasons in the last 25 years. Let's get good and then better before we proclaim we are starting an "era" in 2018.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

KateHog

searkhogfan

SemperFi

Cannot disagree with the OP. Nicely done, sir.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Thank you arkasooner for the nice first post.  I feel what you wrote but it would take me 3 days and 10K words to express it.  Please excuse the total idiots on the site.  Everyone on this site believes they have the answer to correct our program, including myself.

It takes committed and knowledgeable people at the highest levels to plant the seeds that eventually build the program.  Those folks cannot afford to miss very often and ours have missed often for the past 30 years. We had a wining coach but he had problems beyond riding a motorcycle into a ditch.  Defense for one thing and an ego that was not in control.  We now have a Guy that, on the surface, may have the tools to start the climb back to respectability. 

You mentioned many of the attributes the State has that can be utilized to further the sports programs.  I hope this team called Arkansas can return to being a complete state program loved by all and successful on the field. 

paul hog

+1 Great post!!

Hogtrillian

rzrbk4life

Good post. Appreciate the kind words +1
Let's call those hogs!!!!

pigbacon

Quote from: Redhogs on December 30, 2017, 08:54:35 am

True this is. However, on the flip side of the OP I lived in Oklahoma for a few years and whenever the first loss of the season came, "Fire Stoops. The season is over. Wah Wah Wah."

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Vantage 8 dude

Give the guy a break. While you might not like the fact that he's generally an OU fan, most of what he says makes a ton of sense. I most definitely agree that some of us fans aren't nearly as loyal as those for other teams who support their team(s) through thick and thin. While we have a right to demand/expect more from our teams-more specially football-then what we've seen recently, what sickens me is that we have folks on here who are already trashing Morris and his (incomplete) coaching staff. Good grief, grow up! Chad may not have been your first choice, he IS the guy that was selected; as such, IF you're a true Hog fan then you learn to support the guy as long as there's not a legitimate reason to.

JOKERHOG

The OP is all true and I am starting to believe again now that Beliema is gone.  There is hope again...
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

hawgon

In before Hogsanity tells you that you are stupid.  Great post.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on December 30, 2017, 09:52:35 am
It was a good post, good read.  I'm just thinking out loud here but i wonder what the sooners would look like if they were in the SEC for the last 30 years.  You never know, in a few years we may find out.

If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't it have to be at least 30 years for us to find out?

;)
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

allhogislost

Nice to hear a voice of optimistic reason and I believe he is right. Shows how far some on here have gone over the edge when a Sooner fan is trying to motivate and coach us up.

HogBreath

Great post, and very accurate.  I've never understood the zest and zeal so many have to embrace the 'we's just lil' ole Arkiesaw" line of thinking.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?