Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Norvell's philosophy

Started by lakecityhog, November 05, 2017, 07:04:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

excerpt from 2016 Commercial Appeal interview of Chip Long OC/TE coach at Memphis.

Memphis will not huddle, Long said. The quarterback will take snaps both under center and out of the shotgun, and have the freedom to audible out of a bad play at the line of scrimmage or shift his protection to pick up a blitz. The Tigers will also use two- and three-back sets in which backs can shift out wide to exploit mismatches.

At its core, Long said, it's a run/play-action pass scheme.

"Me and Coach (Mike) Norvell, we've been together for four years. So we've been able to implement all of the things that we've liked over a period of time, seeing what's worked in this style of offense and what hasn't," Long said. "But you're always evolving. We're an offense that's going to be built around our players, what they do best. The ability to be multiple -- we're not going to try to peg a square thing into a round hole. But we have a big enough menu to do what we need to do to win and be very explosive."

In the weeks and months leading up to Memphis' first spring practice Tuesday afternoon, Long said he has watched film of every run, pass, catch and game of every returning player on offense. The plan is for him to call plays this spring. His goal is simple: Put the team's best playmakers in position to make plays.

"We're going to be very physical and explosive," Long said.

excerpt from Dec. 2105 article

Norvell brought in a wide variety of great recruits to ASU, but he really likes bringing in dual-threat quarterbacks that could mold into his system.

"think Justin Fuente, but better recruiter."

Defense

We want to be an impactful defense. We want to lead the country in takeaways, force negative plays that lead to three-and-outs. We need to be great on third down and a top defense in the red zone. We're gonna focus on recruiting speed.

We'll base out of four down linemen, with some flexibility.

I know what I don't like to see [as an offensive coordinator]. I know things that are difficult to go against. Coach [Chris] Ball will run the defense. When you play good defense, it makes everything better. I'll try to be a sounding board for him.

Hawginj

Hawginj

I read one today they call their offense multiple with a balanced attack

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Bring back feed the studs. Speed kills. Mike Norvell's version...
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

The Pulse

lakecityhog

I like the fact that he said that his DC would run the defense! He is there to give him an offensive perspective, but the DC runs it.

I would really like to have Norvell as our coach.

Hogcore

Pork Ranger

Well after reading that, sign him up!

TrueBlue

Ole Miss plans to name a HC the day after the Egg Bowl to get a jump on everyone else. They have eyes on Norvell and they know that if something happens at Arkansas, we have interest as well.

That being said, he might be snatched up quickly.

Hoggie17

He would be a good fit for Arkansas.

Ironhawg

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 05, 2017, 10:23:18 pm
Ole Miss plans to name a HC the day after the Egg Bowl to get a jump on everyone else. They have eyes on Norvell and they know that if something happens at Arkansas, we have interest as well.

If Norvell is smart he will avoid Ole Miss(ing scholarships due to NCAA sanctions).

jackflash

going to be hard for Ole Miss to attract coach I think

razorpimp

I live in Mississippi, there is a lot of buzz around Steve Campbell (the head coach at UCA) he won at Delta State and has UCA at #4.  They realize their investigation will run off quite a few options.

hogsolutely

Let's get this ball rolling on this guy!

jkstock04

I was at the Ole Miss game a couple weeks back and spent some time visiting with quite a few Ole Miss folks.

Shockingly, there is a movement to promote Matt Luke (their current interim) as head coach. I guess he has Ole Miss ties. To me, he hasn't made a very good case as interim to become permanent head coach...but from what I gathered they just love the guy. That was just my impression, could be innacurate but that's what I gathered.

Also though, to your point...like you said they too have their eyes on Norvell. When you talk to their fans of possible replacements his name is at the top of the list and supposedly they have already contacted his agent.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 06, 2017, 08:32:46 am
I was at the Ole Miss game a couple weeks back and spent some time visiting with quite a few Ole Miss folks.

Shockingly, there is a movement to promote Matt Luke (their current interim) as head coach. I guess he has Ole Miss ties. To me, he hasn't made a very good case as interim to become permanent head coach...but from what I gathered they just love the guy. That was just my impression, could be innacurate but that's what I gathered.

Also though, to your point...like you said they too have their eyes on Norvell. When you talk to their fans of possible replacements his name is at the top of the list and supposedly they have already contacted his agent.

They are not getting a good coach with all the NCAA issues. They should stick with the Luke guy through their issues and they can change later if it doesn't work out.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on November 06, 2017, 08:48:20 am
They are not getting a good coach with all the NCAA issues. They should stick with the Luke guy through their issues and they can change later if it doesn't work out.

Agree, he's actually done a good job under the circumstances..

onebadrubi

The Ole Miss coach will have to be a guy that is really taking a chance, a first time head coach kind of guy.  No way someone with the door openings like Norvell will risk the career killer of what Ole Miss could possibly be. 

redleg

Hasn't Norvell said that Arkansas is his dream job, or did I just make that up from what someone else told me?!  ???
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Paul

Quote from: redleg on November 06, 2017, 02:21:45 pm
Hasn't Norvell said that Arkansas is his dream job, or did I just make that up from what someone else told me?!  ???
I've heard it from several people in the know here in Memphis but it was off the record. I even said he said he'd fight for the job. Geoff Calkins, the sports editor of the Commercial Appeal has printed that we are in the lead for Norvell.

The Hawg Marshal

He's still #1 on my list, not that that means anything.

MissippHog

Quote from: razorpimp on November 06, 2017, 05:40:09 am
I live in Mississippi, there is a lot of buzz around Steve Campbell (the head coach at UCA) he won at Delta State and has UCA at #4.  They realize their investigation will run off quite a few options.
I was at DSU when Campbell was there.  Is he still running the triple option?

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: MissippHog on November 06, 2017, 04:07:29 pm
I was at DSU when Campbell was there.  Is he still running the triple option?
He has a good sense of humor.

https://twitter.com/sully7777/status/927626931176165377

HF#1

His lack of defensive aptitude is what makes me hesitate.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

jgcat4

I think he'd be great. I love the write ups. I think he's the best thing going for the money and we need a young guy to attract young players. We need a new style to define Arkansas football. I hate to say it, but our identity is now "the bottom feeders." I want someone who can coach, wants to be here, will work hard, and will make football in this state a "brand" -if that makes any sense. I think Norvell is the guy to do that. Now, my opinion gets nothing. Dilly, dilly
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

ipigsooie

Its like we are a bunch of high school girls and the new hot guy has started school. That being said, ive been on the Norvell train since we lost to sc. I actually have a friend in memphis that was telling me to check this guy out bc he has a lot of interest in being back in the natural state. I have full confidence that this deal will get done.  Wps

Hawginj

Quote from: jgcat4 on November 06, 2017, 06:24:57 pm
I think he'd be great. I love the write ups. I think he's the best thing going for the money and we need a young guy to attract young players. We need a new style to define Arkansas football. I hate to say it, but our identity is now "the bottom feeders." I want someone who can coach, wants to be here, will work hard, and will make football in this state a "brand" -if that makes any sense. I think Norvell is the guy to do that. Now, my opinion gets nothing. Dilly, dilly
Dilly!

clutch

Quote from: HF#1 on November 06, 2017, 04:31:27 pm

I don't think he lacks defensive aptitude. I just think he hasn't had time to fully get his defense in place yet. His team this year was decimated with injuries to the defensive side of the ball. They gave up a lot of points early in the year, but they were able to hold Navy to 27 and last Friday a Tulsa team that came in averaging almost 33 pts a game to 14 points, 0 in the second half.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

root_hawg

Just asking ... this guy has 2 years of head coaching experience on the big level, took over a program in Memphis that Fuentes built up and isn't even playing with his recruits really yet and we want to give him 4 million to rebuild the program?  What program has he shown he can build up yet?  He took over Memphis that Fuentes built up obviously since he went to Va Tech I believe.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: root_hawg on November 07, 2017, 10:36:40 am
Just asking ... this guy has 2 years of head coaching experience on the big level, took over a program in Memphis that Fuentes built up and isn't even playing with his recruits really yet and we want to give him 4 million to rebuild the program?  What program has he shown he can build up yet?  He took over Memphis that Fuentes built up obviously since he went to Va Tech I believe.

High risk high reward.  Bob Stoops was 38 when hired at OU.  Had never been an HC and had only been a full DC (no Co) for 3 seasons at Florida.  PJ Fleck had never even been a coordinator when hired at WMU.  Jeff Brohm had only been an HC for 3 years at WKU.  Willy Taggart and BP built that up.  Mark Richt had never been an HC when hired at Georgia.  Mike Leach was 38 when hired by Texas Tech and had only been a D1 coordinator for 3 years.  Mike Gundy had never been an HC when promoted by OSU at age 37. 

And I could probably find just as many instances of failure because coaching ain't easy.  What I could also find are example of guys with much more experience that also failed.  We are living through one of those right now.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Paul

Quote from: root_hawg on November 07, 2017, 10:36:40 am
many of the players on the field currently are his recruits due to injuries, graduation, & JUCOs;  the QB he signed.  Norvell's taken the team to the Playoff Poll for the 1st time.  The post above talks about he wowed the crowd at the Touchdown Club meeting last night with his charm & communication skills.   
Five quick thoughts on Memphis football coach Mike Norvell's rousing appearance at the Touchdown Club on Monday night:

"1. The guy was tremendous. But don't take my word for it, take the word of a Tennessee fan who was at the event and said, when it was over, "I want him." Memphis fans should be happy that no athletic directors from other schools were in attendance, because they'd have wanted to hire Norvell on the spot. He started by going to every table and shaking hands with each person in attendance. I've never seen that before. Then, when Steve Ehrhart introduced Briarcrest running back (and Memphis commit) Tyler Badie as the AutoZone Liberty Bowl high school player of the week, Norvell — who wasn't allowed to speak with Badie, because it's a dead period for recruiting — leapt to his feet to cheer the kid, to the immense amusement of the crowd. Said Ehrhart, deadpan: "I've never seen that. A standing ovation of one." "

"Then Norvell gave a stemwinder of a stump speech. Someone who had seen me at Tennessee coach Butch Jones's appearance at the Touchdown Club a few weeks ago put it this way: "Isn't it more fun being at a wedding than a wake?" Norvell got a huge ovation when it was over. More than one person told me he was among the best speakers they'd ever had. Norvell has always had his strengths — incredible energy, genuine personal charm, the ability to connect to players and recruits, a creative tactical mind — but I wouldn't have necessarily listed public oratory among them. At least, until now."

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Paul on November 07, 2017, 12:00:43 pm
  many of the players on the field currently are his recruits due to injuries, graduation, & JUCOs;  the QB he signed.  Norvell's taken the team to the Playoff Poll for the 1st time.  The post above talks about he wowed the crowd at the Touchdown Club meeting last night with his charm & communication skills.   
Five quick thoughts on Memphis football coach Mike Norvell's rousing appearance at the Touchdown Club on Monday night:

"1. The guy was tremendous. But don't take my word for it, take the word of a Tennessee fan who was at the event and said, when it was over, "I want him." Memphis fans should be happy that no athletic directors from other schools were in attendance, because they'd have wanted to hire Norvell on the spot. He started by going to every table and shaking hands with each person in attendance. I've never seen that before. Then, when Steve Ehrhart introduced Briarcrest running back (and Memphis commit) Tyler Badie as the AutoZone Liberty Bowl high school player of the week, Norvell — who wasn't allowed to speak with Badie, because it's a dead period for recruiting — leapt to his feet to cheer the kid, to the immense amusement of the crowd. Said Ehrhart, deadpan: "I've never seen that. A standing ovation of one." "

"Then Norvell gave a stemwinder of a stump speech. Someone who had seen me at Tennessee coach Butch Jones's appearance at the Touchdown Club a few weeks ago put it this way: "Isn't it more fun being at a wedding than a wake?" Norvell got a huge ovation when it was over. More than one person told me he was among the best speakers they'd ever had. Norvell has always had his strengths — incredible energy, genuine personal charm, the ability to connect to players and recruits, a creative tactical mind — but I wouldn't have necessarily listed public oratory among them. At least, until now."

Winning the PC can be a bit overrated but when you have reached a point of fan apathy you need a guy that can wow the rubber chicken circuit as much as coach.  Norvell seems to check both boxes.

BR

I googled it, but could not find it.. Must be blind...   Who is his Agent? Hopefully it is not Jimmy Sexton
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BR

Base compensation
2017 guaranteed pay: $1,860,000
Total contract pay: $11,520,000
Contract length: 6 years
Start date: 12/4/2015
Last amended: 5/11/2017
Expires: 12/31/2020
Incentives
National title bonus: $300,000
CFP semifinal win: $200,000
CFP semifinal appearance: $100,000
Conference title bonus: $50,000
Conference regular season division title bonus: $30,000
Misc athletic-based incentives: $55,000 for 7 wins, or $90,000 for 8 wins, or $120,000 for 9 wins;
Coach of the year award bonus: $20,000 for conference coach of year; $30,000 for national coach of year
Academic bonuses: $10,000 for four-year APR of 960; $20,000 for four-year APR of 975.
Car: two cars
Tickets: unspecified amount of football and men's basketball tickets
Other Perks
Miscellaneous perks: $12,000 in Nike Elite items to be divided among staff.
Buyout if coach leaves for another coaching job: $500,000
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Tusks

For the love of all that's Razorback.  Please people hire this guy.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Dark Helmet Hog

He would do outstanding at Arkansas!

The Hawg Marshal

Piggie

He is what college football is all about! ;)
It's a great day to be a Bryant Hornet!

Hollywood_HOGan45

Has been my choice since week 2.

31to6

Quote from: HF#1 on November 06, 2017, 04:31:27 pm
I see your concern, but the fact is that you can get one of three kinds of coaches:
offensive minded, defensive minded, CEO

At Arkansas, our challenge is not attracting a quality head coach.

Our challenge is that if we have a hotshot coordinator we cannot pay him the $1M+ to keep him as a "asst-head-coach-in-waiting" to keep him from taking a G5 HC job to build his resume. So we will lose our best coordinators fairly regularly.

It makes the job *MUCH* easier if the Head Coach is either a defensive or offensive innovator who brings in a coordinator on that side of the ball to run *their* system. *Now* never end up in a situation where you are replacing both coordinators and you have no continuity.

So, I want either a top offensive mind or a top defensive mind.

The CEO coach has exposed the huge risk at Ark in this day: what if you can't attract and retain two good coordinators at the same time as your roster is ready for a run?

Too many things to line up.

With a guy like Norvell (or, on the other hand, Venables who will have the defensive side locked down) you know one side of the ball will always be solid.