Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm A Big WV Fan

Started by hogwood, February 13, 2017, 09:46:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwood

Full disclosure. I've always rooted for West Virginia. I've really liked Huggins since he was at Cincy. Great coach and I love his style. Huggins doesn't recruit the big names and is mostly a 3* guy but his teams are always top 20. The WV program reminds me of what I've thought we could be under Anderson, or at least hoped.

Watching WV at KU now and they are taking it to them. Super aggressive. The pressure is intense. Tough tough full court D. Rebounding to perfection. And they have an offensive answer every time down the court. So fun to watch.

I think I'm just going to start being more of a mountaineer fan until we can get our program back to prominence. It's like I'm watching what Hawgball should be. Plus they are like those giant killer tough blue collar teams. And West Virginia is kinda like northwest Arkansas soooo

Atlhogfan1

February 13, 2017, 09:52:42 pm #1 Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:24:50 pm by Atlhogfan1
His teams have always been physically strong and usually has athleticism too.  They play so hard and with mental toughness.  It is what stood out in the first half especially after KU made their run.  Louisville carried that same attitude earlier tonight.  4 of the all timers on ESPN tonight.  Don't know if Huggins will ever get that NC though. 

Your Neers going to have hit some FTs. 

Some of the spoiled KU fans left with 2+ to go. ;D   Going to be tough for WV to win this now. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TheSportsGuy

Watch Kansas.  That's how you press

Raymond Zorback

They just gave up 21 points in 2 minutes.
You can call me Ray.

Atlhogfan1

This game has been over since WV missed the two FTs up 9 and KU came down and hit a 3.  Huggins going to have to extend game as Self did. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Raymond Zorback

One of the worst meltdowns I've ever seen.  Up 14 with 2 minutes left.
You can call me Ray.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Raymond Zorback on February 13, 2017, 10:45:22 pm

Seems kind of commonplace this season.  Or maybe it does from an SEC perspective.

Self played that well.  Down 9 they fouled a 61% FT shooter.  Missed 2 and KU got the 3 and it was on from that point.  Trapped after every made FG or FT.  They still needed a lot to go their way.  A 5 second call on WV.  Multiple contested made 3s. 

Two great games tonight on Big Monday.  Felt a little nostalgic especially with the Carrier Dome hosting the first one. 

3kgthog

I think Mike needs to go, but you'd never see me give one ounce of my fandom for another team. Not even if we were LSU bad or if Corliss freaking Williamson was coaching some other team.

Big Boi

HawgTrough

WPS

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: HawgTrough on February 14, 2017, 10:29:10 am
this thread went well

Regardless, when is the last time we sniffed the top 10.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogwood on February 13, 2017, 09:46:46 pm
Full disclosure. I've always rooted for West Virginia. I've really liked Huggins since he was at Cincy. Great coach and I love his style. Huggins doesn't recruit the big names and is mostly a 3* guy but his teams are always top 20. The WV program reminds me of what I've thought we could be under Anderson, or at least hoped.

Watching WV at KU now and they are taking it to them. Super aggressive. The pressure is intense. Tough tough full court D. Rebounding to perfection. And they have an offensive answer every time down the court. So fun to watch.

I think I'm just going to start being more of a mountaineer fan until we can get our program back to prominence. It's like I'm watching what Hawgball should be. Plus they are like those giant killer tough blue collar teams. And West Virginia is kinda like northwest Arkansas soooo

Time for an update. What do you think about WV, Huggins and the outcome now?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Raymond Zorback on February 13, 2017, 10:26:56 pm
They just gave up 21 points in 2 minutes.

Quote from: Raymond Zorback on February 13, 2017, 10:45:22 pm

No set plays. Coach doesn't teach defense. Played rat ball.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 14, 2017, 10:33:14 am

Full disclosure. I liked WVa a lot better when it was 12-1. Since then, 8-5 has seemed pretty ordinary. But they lead the nation in forced turnovers. Yay! Terrible perimeter defense though. Comes with the philosophy.
[CENSORED]!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 13, 2017, 10:59:48 pm
I think Mike needs to go, but you'd never see me give one ounce of my fandom for another team. Not even if we were LSU bad or if Corliss freaking Williamson was coaching some other team.

This is what true hog fandom looks like.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 14, 2017, 02:20:16 pm
Full disclosure. I liked WVa a lot better when it was 12-1. Since then, 8-5 has seemed pretty ordinary. But they lead the nation in forced turnovers. Yay! Terrible perimeter defense though. Comes with the philosophy.

BTW when WVa was 12-1, Arkansas was 11-2. Since the, the Hogs have gone 7-5.

Huggins gets praised, Anderson pilloried.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 14, 2017, 02:32:43 pm

Well they did beat #1 at the time Baylor by 31 and #2 KU by 16 in that stretch.  OU loss wasn't good. 

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 14, 2017, 02:20:16 pm

Yep.  Huggins does the trade off. 

Youngsta71701

Crickets...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Sivad

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 03:52:16 pm
Crickets...
I'm in full agreement with Youngsta. Earth must be tilting🙃

razorpimp

Huggins 5 NCAA tourney appearances his first 5 years at WV

Anderson with 1 his first 5

Any questions? 

hogwood

Quote from: TheSportsGuy on February 13, 2017, 10:26:21 pm
Watch Kansas.  That's how you press

That press was amazing! Didn't know Kansas could do that. I guess they can do anything with a great coach. Some of the best press I've ever seen, matched with one of the loudest crowds.

hogwood

Still think he's a great coach who gets the best out of his players. They are always in the hunt for an elite 8 no matter if they are a 10 seed or a 2. I love his team's effort, grit, and overall culture. They succumbed to some of the toughest pressure and loudest crowds I've ever watched. I still think they're a pretty lethal team, and they have only 1 4* kid.

hogwood

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 14, 2017, 12:18:00 pm
No set plays. Coach doesn't teach defense. Played rat ball.

Are you serious did you watch the first 38 minutes? Their defense was immaculate and their offense was just beautiful.

hogwood

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 14, 2017, 03:52:16 pm
Crickets...

Didn't get back online last night as it was late. Just got home from work after a long day. Sorry I'm not glued to the internet.

hogwood

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 14, 2017, 02:32:43 pm

Huggins team, with less recruited talent, is on a totally different level than our team right now. And they are in a much tougher conference. They are accurately ranked as a top 10 team in the nation. Why wouldn't you praise that? And this is no diss to Anderson. I'm just really impressed with WV and it reminds me of what I once thought Anderson could do here.

hogwood

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 13, 2017, 10:59:48 pm

I'm the most loyal Razorback fan ever and that will never change no matter what our team's record is or who is our coach. But I'm a huge college basketball fan and I do root for other teams as I watch a lot of games. I like West Virginia as I've said. I also really like Izzo and Michigan St. They are a fun one to root for in the tourney. That's about it though. Still love the hogs to death.

And the part about actually becoming a real fan of WV because it is similar to NWA there was a joke.

zuko

I like watching his teams play. This guy is a proven coach loaded with confidence. We can only hope that we can land a guy like  him when the time comes.

Rooster Hogburn

I'm not a big WV fan, but I like big women. Does that count for something?
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

hogwood

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on February 14, 2017, 10:11:51 pm
I'm not a big WV fan, but I like big women. Does that count for something?

Sure. Tough one to root for though

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Sivad on February 14, 2017, 04:03:38 pm
I'm in full agreement with Youngsta. Earth must be tilting🙃
Or hell is about to freeze over...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogwood on February 14, 2017, 06:29:57 pm
Didn't get back online last night as it was late. Just got home from work after a long day. Sorry I'm not glued to the internet.
Lol...Good point. I usually don't get on here much either after I leave work. Maybe after a game or something I might check.