Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Re: Why didn't we throw it on 4th down?

Started by HogFanatic, September 28, 2014, 01:34:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFanatic

Because we couldn't throw the damn ball either.
Chaney becomes far too predictable when the game is on the line.

He is all or nothing.

2 minute drills were ran what, three times yesterday? The results of which were three 3 and outs? All passes?

Pathetic.

HOGness4life

I disagree Allen was nails and was surgical most of the game.

jimmur74

Quote from: HOGness4life on September 28, 2014, 01:32:12 pm
They squashed our running game in the 2nd half. We only had 14 yards running in the 4th qtr. Clearly they've sold out to stop the run, why not throw it?

We had far more that 14 in the qtr. The penalty killed us on the long run by Williams. On the drive we missed the FG we had consecutive runs of 12 17 and 17 alone. Look we just blew it

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HOGness4life on September 28, 2014, 01:36:10 pm
I disagree Allen was nails and was surgical most of the game.

Yes, on running downs.  Not at all on passing downs.   That's the problem with the passing game.  We can't actually pass when we need to pass.  Only when the D is playing run.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

HogFanatic

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 28, 2014, 01:59:35 pm
Yes, on running downs.  Not at all on passing downs.   That's the problem with the passing game.  We can't actually pass when we need to pass.  Only when the D is playing run.

I agree with this.
And it would seem to me that logic would dictate that you mix in some run when you are SUPPOSED to pass just for this reason.

This team's ability to run the ball is off the charts. In any of those 2 minute drill drives, if we had mixed in the run we could have hit a home run, IMO. But instead it's incomplete, incomplete, incomplete, punt.

I guess we should feel better that one of those times we ran a 50 yard touchdown from a punt formation, but it just further illustrates what I'm saying. Jim Chaney isn't doing a very good job, IMO

woodhog14

They squashed our running game in the 2nd half. We only had 14 yards running in the 4th qtr. Clearly they've sold out to stop the run, why not throw it?

Actually, we had 71 yards rushing in the 4th qtr...and that doesn't count the 55 yard run that JWill had called back. Where did you get this 14 yards rushing in the 4th qtr?

popcornhog

We played to our strength. It wasn't executed. Great stop for Aggy -- no complaints here re: the play calling.

Pretty sure we had more than 14 yards rushing in 4th though.
WPS

Nafunu32

If the pass would have been incomplete you guys would have been calling for heads because "running the ball is our strength." Many people are not satisfied regardless of outcome.

Bebop

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 28, 2014, 01:59:35 pm

Brandon is throwing too much on the outside. He had better success when he threw towards or in the middle of field. Same complaint, different day: why didn't we throw more around the middle when we have had success with it?

Pigstie

September 28, 2014, 02:39:42 pm #9 Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 06:55:29 pm by Pigstie
Because if we passed and didn't make it.... you would post and ask "why didn't we run it?"
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Pigstie on September 28, 2014, 02:39:42 pm
Because is we passed and didn't make it.... you would post and ask "why didn't we run it?"

This is 100% the truth

DeltaBoy

All those tight ends and neither could get open.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pigasaurus

I was surprised not to see BA take off and run with the ball a time or two.  He has had some good runs lately.  I understand the competition was stiffer and we really don't want to get him whacked.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Bebop on September 28, 2014, 02:36:45 pm
Brandon is throwing too much on the outside. He had better success when he threw towards or in the middle of field. Same complaint, different day: why didn't we throw more around the middle when we have had success with it?

This is one of the VERY few things I'll agree with you on. I do believe we pass too much to the outside. That's just asking for a pick six. Throwing over the middle gives you more YAC as well.

Pigasaurus

Throwing outside 3 yards short of the marker drove me nuts yesterday.

Piggfoot

Quote from: pigasaurus on September 28, 2014, 06:07:42 pm
Throwing outside 3 yards short of the marker drove me nuts yesterday.
some players not calling names don't seem to know where the first down marker is.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

Bebop

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 28, 2014, 05:46:17 pm
This is one of the VERY few things I'll agree with you on. I do believe we pass too much to the outside. That's just asking for a pick six. Throwing over the middle gives you more YAC as well.

What arguments do you disagree with me?

sickboy

pigbacon

I didn't want to start a new topic and may have overlooked it, but why did we not take the ball first in OT???

I'd much rather have the opportunity to score first. Thoughts?

sickboy

Quote from: pigbacon on September 28, 2014, 06:29:22 pm
I didn't want to start a new topic and may have overlooked it, but why did we not take the ball first in OT???

You always defend first in overtime. You're at an advantage. If you stop the defense then you only have to kick a field goal to win and it changes everything on offense for you. If you let them score -- you know what you have to do. If you take the ball first and fail to score -- you're pretty much screwed.

Nobody takes the ball first in overtime.

ricepig

Quote from: pigbacon on September 28, 2014, 06:29:22 pm

You always want to go on defense first so you know what you have to score after their attempt.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Jerrajo

HOW DOES BA not see 11 in the box and call and audible ? I miss having a coach that taught this.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Kevin on September 28, 2014, 06:32:58 pm
With 11 in the box, got to pass.

It's fair to suggest that play call was an indictment of our passing game.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

pigbacon

Quote from: sickboy on September 28, 2014, 06:31:36 pm
You always defend first in overtime. You're at an advantage. If you stop the defense then you only have to kick a field goal to win and it changes everything on offense for you. If you let them score -- you know what you have to do. If you take the ball first and fail to score -- you're pretty much screwed.

Nobody takes the ball first in overtime.
Quote from: ricepig on September 28, 2014, 06:32:00 pm
You always want to go on defense first so you know what you have to score after their attempt.

Thanks. I wasn't implying it was the wrong call or anything. Just seems applying the pressure if you score first helps.

FATHAWG08

A&M made huge stop on 3rd down pass to Derby. If we get beat lets get beat at what we do best. I have no regrets here. This time last year our defense had given up 100 points in 2 games. We are getting better really fast. This's time next year this team will be where all the fans want it to be. One day at a time, this staff has something to go sell these next 2 weeks to recruits. I'm taking the glass is half full approach.
I love off season Football!!

Dark Helmet Hog

I would have liked to have seen the bootleg on the 4th down. Maybe it gets blown up too, but everyone knew we were going to run ball.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Jerrajo on September 28, 2014, 06:40:46 pm
HOW DOES BA not see 11 in the box and call and audible ? I miss having a coach that taught this.
well all can say is go cheer for Louisville. Your problem is now solved. See Ya!!
I love off season Football!!

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on September 28, 2014, 06:56:05 pm
I would have liked to have seen the bootleg on the 4th down. Maybe it get blown up too, but everyone knew we were going to run ball.

Would have a been an interesting call.

ATU HOG

Quote from: Jerrajo on September 28, 2014, 06:40:46 pm
Probably because your not gonna call an audible when you are built to pick up 1 yard.  We just didn't do it this time.  Imagine throwing an incomplete pass or changing the play to a slow developing play when we have one of the biggest O-Lines in the nation.  4th and 1, game on the line, do what you do best and run it.

LA Football fan

I would have liked to have seen that little option pitch out we have run on teams when they are stacked inside.  It would have at the least put Collins one on one with the db in open space and I like our odds.  Collins is not a power runner like JWill has shown.  A&M just made a good play.  It happens.  They stacked the line on other plays and we still made the first down with ease as well as busted one for a td.  The other option to me would have been the wildcat with another blocker leading the way for Collins on the play.

Hog_Fink

i would've liked to have seen that shovel pass
or a naked bootleg
or even collins in wildcat throwing a pass
pull out all the stops. get creative.
we needed a big play to push momentum back in our favor.
not the same stagnant playcalling

sickboy

Quote from: pigbacon on September 28, 2014, 06:48:17 pm
Thanks. I wasn't implying it was the wrong call or anything. Just seems applying the pressure if you score first helps.

No worries. Applying the pressure is definitely good. Just a risk if you don't score.

The Boar War

I don't mind the call.  If you're a running team and can't run the ball and get two yards when the game is on the line you shouldn't win the game.

bigbadhog

Run/pass option with BA rollout.  Unanimous with the people watching the game where I was.  It was a horrible play call...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

HF#1

Had he thrown the ball you'd still be bitching so what difference does it make? 

Given we rushed for 200+, it's not a stretch to think we can get 2 yards running the ball.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Supermark101

Quote from: sickboy on September 28, 2014, 06:26:12 pm
I would have called a naked bootleg with Allen. Just like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O0nDC_3yDc

Yep

Hindsight is always 20/20, but this should have been the call on 4th and 2. We needed not to be predictable there. It worked perfectly against N Illinois for a touchdown. I told my brother that needed to  be the call, right before the snap.