Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Florida fires McElwain

Started by Lanny, October 29, 2017, 05:06:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

RebelliousHog

I guess claiming to get unconfirmed death threats will get you canned.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dark Helmet Hog

At what point is all that money not worth the stress and BS?

sickboy

Quote from: HenduHog on October 29, 2017, 05:09:33 pm

I think that was the excuse to fire him and once their legal team gave them the go ahed, they pulled the trigger. From everything being reported, this was in the works for awhile. They just happened to get handed an excuse as ridiculous as this to let them pull the trigger now.

Ironhawg

Why would he make up something like that?  He had to know somebody would investigate?

Calling All Hogs

Good luck getting another coach of any quality. McElwain wins the East his first two years and then gets canned in year three.

sowmonella

Gotta be much more to this story. Was he trying to get sympathy with the death threat claim? Something just ain't right.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

The Hawg Marshal

I think it was the shark sex that got him.

sickboy

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on October 29, 2017, 05:12:11 pm
At what point is all that money not worth the stress and BS?

I'm actually one of the few who wouldn't want to be a college football coach at an SEC school. I started feeling that way back when people started burning down Austin Allen's car. Life's too short to work 24 hour work days, devalue your family life and have to endure constant criticism at every turn, most of which is calling for you to lose your job every day of your life.

Meh. They don't make that much money. I'm perfectly happy making less, not having people publicly petitioning for my unemployment, and getting to spend time with my family.

Quote from: sickboy on October 29, 2017, 05:16:25 pm
I'm actually one of the few who wouldn't want to be a college football coach at an SEC school. I started feeling that way back when people started burning down Austin Allen's car. Life's too short to work 24 hour work days, devalue your family life and have to endure constant criticism at every turn, most of which is calling for you to lose your job every day of your life.

Meh. They don't make that much money. I'm perfectly happy making less, not having people publicly petitioning for my unemployment, and getting to spend time with my family.
It was Brandon Allen. But I know what you mean. At least the head coaches get money for life. The players put up with the scrutiny for a lot less.

ur

Does vegas have a line for the florida coaching job?  Mullen has to be at the top with his old AD from Miss state at florida now. I will be shocked if he doesn't take it.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on October 29, 2017, 05:14:34 pm
Good luck getting another coach of any quality. McElwain wins the East his first two years and then gets canned in year three.

I don't know about that. The two years they won it was a race to see who could be the worse team in the East. They lost thus they won the East. I'm sure Florida fans believe being in a talent rich area they should always field a highly competitive team.

Then throw in the last straw of never getting his offense going. I can see why they quit on him.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

3Scoreand10

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on October 29, 2017, 05:14:34 pm

But those two wins were by default.  Florida was just not as bad as the rest of the east.

Bacons Rebellion

Doesn't look well for his endorsements deals for teeth whitening strips.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on October 29, 2017, 05:21:00 pm
But those two wins were by default.  Florida was just not as bad as the rest of the east.

We went in the same direction.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Simple Swineman

2015 SEC coach of the year
22-12 overall
16-6 in conference
2 SEC east division titles in 3 years

Brutal

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: sickboy on October 29, 2017, 05:16:25 pm

I agree with your point. I'm perfectly content as the ferryman.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Simple Swineman on October 29, 2017, 05:22:18 pm
22-12 overall
16-6 in conference

Brutal
I  think the real story is more about his lack of an offense. He was supposed to be an offensive guru, but 3 years in and his offense is putrid.Add to that he doesn't really fit in there , the shark picture(who knows if it's him or not) then lying about death threats. He made it easy on them and saved them some money. They got lucky.

DeltaBoy

22-12 overall
16-6 in conference

Brutal

No one who smart will go there now!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ricepig

Quote from: ur on October 29, 2017, 05:18:50 pm
Does vegas have a line for the florida coaching job?  Mullen has to be at the top with his old AD from Miss state at florida now. I will be shocked if he doesn't take it.

Supposedly, those two didn't get along great at MSU, per some anonymous guy on twitter, haha.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 29, 2017, 05:28:58 pm
I  think the real story is more about his lack of an offense. He was supposed to be an offensive guru, but 3 years in and his offense is putrid.Add to that he doesn't really fit in there , the shark picture(who knows if it's him or not) then lying about death threats. He made it easy on them and saved them some money. They got lucky.

2nd time I've seen a reference about sharks in this thread. What did I miss?
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: HenduHog on October 29, 2017, 05:47:06 pm
2nd time I've seen a reference about sharks in this thread. What did I miss?

Google Jim McElwain shark picture.  You'll see.

jkstock04

Quote from: HenduHog on October 29, 2017, 05:09:33 pm
I still laugh thinking about our resident homers on here starting a thread about this...then equating our fans as being in the same boat in order to get a fight started.

Too bad it was nothing but fake news.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ur

October 29, 2017, 06:00:40 pm #24 Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 06:13:08 pm by ur
I guess they don't watch the big 12 in florida. No Matt Campbell. Norvell's bio looks good for the ark job though.
Frost looks like the early favorite. Mullen also but evidently bad blood with big boosters and some leftover foley guys.
https://www.alligatorarmy.com/2017/10/29/16567642/florida-gators-head-coach-candidates-scott-frost-bob-stoops-dan-mullen

007 License To Squeal

Think Bret is writing a letter?
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

WoePigSooie

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 29, 2017, 05:13:27 pm
Why would he make up something like that?  He had to know somebody would investigate?
Everything is coachable, we can correct this, it's all fixable, Bielema lied to us too

farmhawg

22-12 overall
16-6 in conference

Brutal
And we can't get rid of dumpling.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

apcapri

Bret might do well in Florida. Think the Gators should give him a call.

ur

Quote from: apcapri on October 29, 2017, 06:13:45 pm
Bret might do well in Florida. Think the Gators should give him a call.
He would look good on that shark.

Vantage 8 dude

22-12 overall
16-6 in conference

Brutal
Yeah, wish our record was a "brutal" and unsuccessful.  >:( (Sigh)

RebelliousHog

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on October 29, 2017, 05:51:56 pm
Google Jim McElwain shark picture.  You'll see.

LOL   Disgruntled fans are sooooo classy.

Torqued pork

I could see Lane Kiffin lucking into the job.

King Kong

Quote from: ur on October 29, 2017, 06:00:40 pm
I guess they don't watch the big 12 in florida. No Matt Campbell. Norvell's bio looks good for the ark job though.
Frost looks like the early favorite. Mullen also but evidently bad blood with big boosters and some leftover foley guys.
https://www.alligatorarmy.com/2017/10/29/16567642/florida-gators-head-coach-candidates-scott-frost-bob-stoops-dan-mullen

Fl can't afford Campbell's buyout

RebelliousHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 29, 2017, 05:52:20 pm
I still laugh thinking about our resident homers on here starting a thread about this...then equating our fans as being in the same boat in order to get a fight started.

Too bad it was nothing but fake news.

You do realize the "resident homer" is the dude who owns Hogville?  Yes?

Point of fact is that JMac IS, indeed, history at Fla.   Too bad you're not that bright.

ur

ur

Quote from: King Kong on October 29, 2017, 06:40:37 pm
Fl can’t afford Campbell’s buyout
Well if they can't afford $6.4 mill, then I don't know who can.

247Hog

I can see this working out just like LSU coaching search. Get rid of a coach they did alright. Think they can hire the world only to get a reality check and settle for someone mid tier.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

ricepig

Quote from: ur on October 29, 2017, 06:46:19 pm
Well if they can't afford $6.4 mill, then I don't know who can.

They only made a $5m profit in 2015-2016 which is the last year in their report to the Dept of Education, if I read it correctly.

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/institution/details

You have to type in the institutions name to get their report.

The Pulse

I suspect Florida going after Dan Mullen.

Porkerpower

I have to wonder if something like that was going on with the death threats that surely he sent some emails to report it.

If so hope he has copies.

ur

Quote from: ricepig on October 29, 2017, 06:56:22 pm
They only made a $5m profit in 2015-2016 which is the last year in their report to the Dept of Education, if I read it correctly.

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/institution/details

You have to type in the institutions name to get their report.
Looks like we can. Better than Tenn and Florida. Come on Jeff, cut that check.

Iwastherein1969

Well, at someone's office deep in the bowels of the UA athletic operations facility inside the locked door with the title Head Coach of Football, an ink well with beautiful gator blue ink, a feather quill with the perfect tip is being withdrawn from the coach's safety lock box. The perfectly clean white stationery with a nice aroma to it is being placed oh so carefully on the calendar planner on his desk. Careful not to smear. The large bellied coach thinks for a moment then begins to pen his thoughts to one Scott Stricklin, AD at the University of Florida. Dearest Scott, remember at the SEC meetings this past year when we shared a warm moment with a handshake and a double scotch and water. I have always thought of you as a brother in arms. Both of honesty and integrity of the highest order. Yes, times are tough here in this backwoods state. The ability to recruit top shelf personnel has seriously blocked me from fulfilling my dreams of winning an SEC football championship then on to a National Title.

This state is small and full of people who speak with a strange twang. What hurts so much is that there is little talent from which to choose. However, Florida, oh Florida, high school football's land of 'milk and honey' would unshackle my recruiting ability and I would bring, if offered the opportunity, not only the most uncommon character of men to play football for the University of Florida Gators, but the most talented as well. Just a thought. Hope to hear from you soon,    Your pleasant acquaintance, Bret Arnold Bielema
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

jkstock04

Quote from: HenduHog on October 29, 2017, 06:43:05 pm

You do realize the "resident homer" is the dude who owns Hogville?  Yes?

Point of fact is that JMac IS, indeed, history at Fla.   Too bad you're not that bright.
Lanny started that thread? Not the way I recall it but if you say so... I searched for a few minutes and couldn't find it.

The fact that he is done at Florida is not what I was addressing...evidently you aren't bright enough to realize that. Maybe you were one of the ones crying about the fake news.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hog N Bama

Let's hope this is the LAST drama story involving Mc Elwain  ???

checkraiser88

I bet Long will scoop him up, if we hire McElwain this board will melt down

HogSlop84

Quote from: King Kong on October 29, 2017, 06:40:37 pm
Fl can't afford Campbell's buyout
yes they can. They will pay the buyout in installments.. 

ur

HogSlop84

ur

Quote from: HogSlop84 on October 29, 2017, 07:37:58 pm
if they want the guy, they will get him. That is pocket change for Florida
agree that if they want him they will find a way. I just hope all the other ADs think the buyout is $9.4 million like footballscoop is reporting and don't even bother calling him. then we can swoop in and pick him up for $6.4 mill.