Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So if Petrino doesn't have a Winning SEC record in his 2nd year.....

Started by razorbackfan, February 09, 2009, 05:03:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackfan

Is it going to be the same crap treatment that Coach Pel is getting. I mean I know it will only be Petrino's 2nd year & we are still going to be young (sounds familiar, doesn't it), but some people are acting like it's the end of Arkansas Basketball. It is a fair question, will it go from the great Petrino to he's just not getting the job done? Dont get me wrong I LOVE the Razorbacks & I want nothing but the best for both coaches! Im just tired of all of the negativity, especially when it is unwarranted...

Killean

If we have only 1 SEC win next season for the football team, then yes.. and it would probably be warranted.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

rzrbackrob

I can't remember the schedule for next year, but if Alabubba, Georgia, and Fla are in the first four SEC games, we could easily be 1-3 halfway through the SEC schedule. :razorback:
Good is the enemy of great

musiccityhog

I'm all for Pel, and think he'll do just fine here, but basketball is much easier to turn around than football is. A couple of great recruits in B-ball, and that's all it takes. Football is a different story.
Your name? Fletch F. Fletch
Your Address? Seven
Your occupation? I'm a Shepherd

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: rzrbackrob on February 09, 2009, 05:10:08 pm
I can't remember the schedule for next year, but if Alabubba, Georgia, and Fla are in the first four SEC games, we could easily be 1-3 halfway through the SEC schedule. :razorback:
Reality is a beautiful concept...most posting the material you speak of concerning Coach Pelfrey, are not acquainted with this idea.  ???
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: Killean on February 09, 2009, 05:05:10 pm
If we have only 1 SEC win next season for the football team, then yes.. and it would probably be warranted.
What about 2 SEC wins?...that would be relative to the Basketball schedule...8 vs. 16 games, you see.
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

bwbcpa

Quote from: razorbackfan on February 09, 2009, 05:03:09 pm
Is it going to be the same crap treatment that Coach Pel is getting. I mean I know it will only be Petrino's 2nd year & we are still going to be young (sounds familiar, doesn't it), but some people are acting like it's the end of Arkansas Basketball. It is a fair question, will it go from the great Petrino to he's just not getting the job done? Dont get me wrong I LOVE the Razorbacks & I want nothing but the best for both coaches! Im just tired of all of the negativity, especially when it is unwarranted...

I like your approach. I've read a lot of  bragging about how Petrino is doing a much better job with the Fball program, but he's only played one season with none of his players. So if Petrino doesn't pull off a big season next year, how quick will those fans fall off the bandwagon? Both programs need more than two years to make effective changes.

HawgAdvocate

One thing to consider is that Pel got to coach an SEC team full of experienced players his first year. He's having to raise these new kids without any senior leadership. Welsh has been forced to go from a role player to a scorer thanks to Beverley departing, with Washington being the only guy who's ever had any decent hype that isn't a freshman.

Pel won more games than any first year coach in Razorback history. It's in his 2nd season that he's having the toughest coaching job of his career, trying to instruct a bunch of kids who've only known him, his staff, and each other for a few months.

Petrino will have a much better 2nd year since he's past having to play a bunch of freshman. He did that last year, along with a senior QB, an award winnning OL, and other veteran memebers of the 85-person squad. We had some ugly losses last season too. Pel's 2nd year equates to Petrino's 1st year, except Pel doesn't have near the amount of vets that Petrino had.

Anyone on here who tries to say it "doesn't take long to build a basketball program" is full of it. No one on here has merit to say such a thing, and no one can cite one historical example of a coach replacing 90% of his roster, coming off one 2nd round NCAA berth in the past 10 years, and immediately competeing for a conference title.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hog_fan

Petrino will improve this year. 2010 is the year we see big improvement.

hogsareus

Quote from: razorbackfan on February 09, 2009, 05:03:09 pm
It's not an apples to apples comparison.  The SEC in football is the toughest league in the land, in basketball, not so much.  Petrino guiding us to 1-2 wins in Conference USA would be the equivalent of the 1-7 record that the basketball team has.

chiefsfan

Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 09, 2009, 05:41:22 pm
One thing to consider is that Pel got to coach an SEC team full of experienced players his first year. He's having to raise these new kids without any senior leadership. Welsh has been forced to go from a role player to a scorer thanks to Beverley departing, with Washington being the only guy who's ever had any decent hype that isn't a freshman.

Pel won more games than any first year coach in Razorback history. It's in his 2nd season that he's having the toughest coaching job of his career, trying to instruct a bunch of kids who've only known him, his staff, and each other for a few months.

Petrino will have a much better 2nd year since he's past having to play a bunch of freshman. He did that last year, along with a senior QB, an award winnning OL, and other veteran memebers of the 85-person squad. We had some ugly losses last season too. Pel's 2nd year equates to Petrino's 1st year, except Pel doesn't have near the amount of vets that Petrino had.

Anyone on here who tries to say it "doesn't take long to build a basketball program" is full of it. No one on here has merit to say such a thing, and no one can cite one historical example of a coach replacing 90% of his roster, coming off one 2nd round NCAA berth in the past 10 years, and immediately competeing for a conference title.

+1

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: rzrbackrob on February 09, 2009, 05:10:08 pm
We're going to beat Georgia this year, I can feel it.   Could just be gas though.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

We have approximately 85 bodies to fill about 35 need postions in football and about 15 bodies (when full) to fill about 8 needs in BB.  Pel is doing better than Petrino stat wise so far.  i do think petrino has kinged him with recruits so far.  We got 2 good coaches here.  I wouldn't trade either for anyone I know that we could get.

ballhog™

A couple of points...

We have proved multiple times we can win the SEC championship in basketball, we haven't done that yet in football.

In football the SEC is considered the best/toughest conference in the nation...in basketball this year it is considered an also ran.

I'm not saying Pel should be on the hotseat, but I don't think there is any justification for going 1-7 so far in the SEC and if Petrino goes 1-7 next year I'm sure there will be a lot of unrest.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

booogaga

GO HOGS!

WhenPigsFly

Two completely different situations.  Petrino is a proven commodity as a head coach, per his record at Louisville, BCS bowl, top tens, etc., and thus would deserve a little more leeway if we somehow took a step backward next year. 

Pelphrey has none of those type credentials.

Beaverfever

Well first of all, you start off with the assumption that SEC basketball=SEC football and that just isn't true.  A 4-4 team in the SEC next season in football will be a GOOD team. 

RazorbakEuphoricDysphoria

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 09, 2009, 05:41:22 pm

Smartest thing Ive read since Ive been on here and I totally agree...+1 to you!!!! :razorback: