Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan's Thoughts

Started by yraciv, February 08, 2009, 02:34:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

yraciv

With all you guys jumping ship, and even the bring back Nolan threads lets see what the old coach has to say about the Hogs and Pel.  He seems positive, and had a couple bad years to start out his coaching career at Arkansas.
http://nwanews.com/nwat/Sports/73706/

batmanfan

Whats he going to say?  Pel sucks?  Of course not.  After all that's happened he knows he has to be politically correct.

I think it's become pretty clear Pel isn't the man for the job.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

yraciv

Quote from: batmanfan on February 08, 2009, 02:42:01 am
Whats he going to say?  Pel sucks?  Of course not.  After all that's happened he knows he has to be politically correct.

He has stayed silent on the matter of Razorback basketball for a long time, so he didn't have to make a quote and start coming around now.  Did you notice Nolan's record year 1?  That is basically what Pel is in right now.  Were you a Razorback fan back then?  I'm just curious how you reacted to Nolan after year 1 and 2.

batmanfan

Nolan didn't start out 1-7.  I wasn't born yet, but we haven't had this type of conference record in a long long time.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

roundball

Our non conference schedule when Nolan was around wasn't nearly as weak as what it is now..don't get it confused.

Razorod

you are correct about overall conference strength, but the sec is no juggernaut this year. still, nolan's first team might have been less than 4-12 if it had been in the SEC.

despite my negativity, i am hoping pel can turn this ship around. i hope this team can scratch and claw its way to 4-12 so it doesn't surpass heath's level of futility. i like pel and think he fits the ua in a lot of ways.

but good coaches find ways to win games. it would be nice to see pel begin to demonstrate that trait during the back half of the sec schedule. i would like to see the hogs win at least 3 out of the 4 remaining home games and compete hard in the first game of the SEC tourney. then get a little extra practice and playing time in the NIT.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

I was around when Nolan started and he took over a squad of players used to the slow down half court offense and defense style of Sutton.  He tryed to run and gun, it didn't work at all.  I never saw even one screen set the entire first year.  Getting a rebound wasn't important with Nolan but you would be seated if you didn't try under Sutton.  Nolan begged the players to just give him 5 hard minutes at a time.  They failed.  Nolan wanted to run and dog with a bunch of players use to half court lock down defense and working the perimeter for 30 or more seconds to get the perfect shot.  We were lucky to win 12 that first year.  I actually thought it was less.  Every coach I know has gotten smarter with better players or players who work is plan.  D-mac, Felix, and Hillis could make Nutt look smart from time to time.  JP is a good coach and we aren't as far away from being decent as we appear.  Give the man 5 years total.  If we aren't a top 20 team by then, then replace him. 

jgphillips3

Those of us old enough to remember the early Nolan years and the hate and vitriole slung at him when he was an absolute failure his first two years learned a valuable lesson with him.  It takes a little time to install a new system.  Next year is the first year we should really start holding Pel accountable for anything.  This year he has no team chemistry and a heaping helping of new players.  Next year, he will have had two full recruiting classes under his belt and we should START to see what he wants to do and START to see smarter play. 

However, it will really be that next year (2010-2011) when he has three recruiting classes under his belt that we should either blossom or his feet should be held to the fire.  When these kids are juniors, we should be in the tournament with a chance to be dangerous or we should be looking for a new coach; until then, jumping all over the coach is a tad premature. 

If basketball is just driving you crazy, just get ready for spring football and chill until next year.  At least football is shaping up to be a nice year.  No championships this year, but we should look MUCH better and I am excited about that and just trying to not dwell on b-ball.  With b-ball, I am just going to hope for the best and assume I am seeing a repeat of the first two terrible Nolan years and not a repeat of the Heath mistake.

hogfan30

All you "fans" need to support Pelphrey. When we beat Texas and OU, everybody was on board. Now, everyone is jumping ship. This is Pelphrey's first recruiting class pretty much, and yes he's got spots to fill. Pel is a good coach, have some patience

HawgAdvocate

Fairweather fan numero uno, ladies and gentleman.

Batmanfan!!!
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

jonesark™

really.....

bwbcpa

'

Nolan politically correct? The "If they don't like it they can pay me my money and I'll leave" guy?  If Nolan tells me Pelphrey needs time and I need patience, then he needs time and I need to be patient.

rzrbackrob

Nolan is a lot of things, but politically correct is not one of them  :razorback:
Good is the enemy of great

tolerati

I think I would prefer to listen to Nolan's words. He has a proven track record...the others who are jumping ship..don't. I doubt Pel himself wanted the team to be 1-7 in conference play. Arkansas is not the power it was. It is going to take time and winning to re-build the program. Recruiting is going to be the key.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

secfan30

Ummmmm..... You do know who Nolan Richardson is right?????? He would be the last person to watch his words when it came to Arkansas Basketball.

40MINSOFHELL

i think pel is the right man for the job and nolan is right, lets be patient

Pork Twain

February 08, 2009, 07:42:14 pm #16 Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 07:44:19 pm by BeoPig™

You jump ship fast, have no staying power.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hawgnoxious

It's pretty clear to me that you can't play the way Pel wants to play with only 7 players available.  During the Texas and OU games there was defense, and lots of motion in the motion offense.  Now there is very little defense in the last 10 minutes, and almost no motion in the offense. 
I'm Hawgnoxious, and I approve this message.

docryde3

Nolan said at the end of the article he wanted to be a consultant for a young coach Pel needs one for sure and having Nolan back would be awesome lol I can always hope right?
Woo Pig Sooie

Table Rocker

Hey bat, ur the biggest bandwagon fan on this board- just leave

Swine & Cheese Club

Batmanfan, do really think that Pelphrey won't be a great coach?!?

Look at the mentors he has been around his entire college and coaching career.  He has been coached and tutored by current and future HOF coaches.  He currently is associated with 2 HOF coaches (not even mentioning Rob Evans).  He is, and will be more successful as a college coach.  We better not make the mistake of getting impatient and running him off.  Give the man the time he deserves to prove he is one of the next generation of great coaches.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: docryde3 on February 09, 2009, 08:54:30 pm
Nolan said at the end of the article he wanted to be a consultant for a young coach Pel needs one for sure and having Nolan back would be awesome lol I can always hope right?

I'd have to think he's already having consistant conversation with Nolan already (and Sutton, and Pitino, and maybe even Billy D). You better bet Rob Evans is.

But talking with Nolan (or whomever) can only do so much. Things don't normally change overnight. But it's certainly better than not talking to those who can say they know SEC basketball.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

southarkboy

I guess it is hard for me to believe someone can be so ready to leave and such a fair weather fan....I remember before Sutton.....all we wanted to do was go to barnhill and throw cups on the playing floor to make the ref mad...there was absolutely no bball on the hill...we saw what Pel can do with the two big wins this year....now lets just be hog fans and get behind the man for a little while.

aaaactionvp

1985-86 Nolan Richardson 12-16 4-12 7th
1986-87 Nolan Richardson 19-14 8-8 5th

The Hogfather

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 08, 2009, 12:15:39 pm
Fairweather fan numero uno, ladies and gentleman.

Batmanfan!!!

Que es numero dos?  Joe de Forrest City?

moutainbiker

I can't believe the number of people bailing on Pel and the young hogs.  Pel was a miracle worker last year with the bunch of punks we had.  Now, he has a team with how many freshmen playing big minutes and playing well, but not deep enough to win much.  Grow up, listen to Nolan, and tell your momma she should have smacked your spoiled little azz a whole lot more, and you wouldn't be such sorry fans.

thirtythree

I got a great laugh out of Nolan being political correct. That man says what is on his mind and he doesn't care if it offends anyone.

For that, I truly respect the man and his opinion in this case.

hoggeek

batmanfan admitted he wasn't born yet when Nolan was starting out. Those of us that have reached a level of maturity and experience on this board (I'm not assigning an age range to that; I know mature 17 year olds and very immature 45 year olds) know what patience is. We tend to forget that it's hard on a message board to gauge a poster's maturity.

I think there are a bunch of instant-gratification 13 year olds on this board yelling "Pay Pelphrey more money!" after two upsets, then yelling "Pelphrey isn't the man for the job!" after a string of losses. Patience, grasshoppers.

I'd love to see batmanfan come back and read his posts here 15 years from now, and watch his face turn red as he exclaims, "But I was just a KID back then!!"

Don't feel bad, batmanfan, we've all had to say things like that when confronted with our childhood.