Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should 3 years be a minimum for coaches?

Started by NuttinItUp, February 07, 2009, 09:19:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Excluding extrodinary circumstances (arrest, NCAA rules breaking, etc.) should 3 years be a minimum amount of time given to turn around a program?

Yes - 3 years should be the minimum
44 (83%)
No - 2 years is ok
4 (7.5%)
No opinion
5 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 52

NuttinItUp

February 07, 2009, 09:19:19 pm Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 11:11:39 pm by NuttinItUp
Barring something extreme like the coach committing a felony or serious NCAA rules infractions or something like that, should a coach (in general) be given at least 3 years to start showing signs of rebuilding a program, or is it ok to let him go before that?

NuttinItUp

By the way; I should clarify that I am asking this generally, not specific to Pel, although the criticism that he seems to be getting did influence the creation of the poll.

Personally, I would like to see 4 years as a minimum most of the time, but I made it 3 in the poll because there have been some calling for Pel's head and all at the end of the season.

N HOG

Okay, if it makes everybody feel better, let's go ahead and suffer through Season 3.

Table Rocker

Quote from: N HOG on February 07, 2009, 11:12:54 pm
Okay, if it makes everybody feel better, let's go ahead and suffer through Season 3.

yeah, coaches will come crawling here knowing they only have 2 years (one year of their own recruits) to turn it around...............rrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiggggggggghhhhhttttttt

NuttinItUp

Why do you necessarily assume a bad year next year? We have an extremely young team and everyone was expecting a drop off this season. Why should he not be given a chance to do something for more than a single year with his own (young) players?

N HOG

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 07, 2009, 11:25:08 pm
Why do you necessarily assume a bad year next year? We have an extremely young team and everyone was expecting a drop off this season. Why should he not be given a chance to do something for more than a single year with his own (young) players?

I've not said one time that I think he shouldn't be given a third year.

I'm just watching the games and know what I see.

Along that line, would one of you please explain to me what we are TRYING to do in the half-court offense? Surely one of you who feels good about where we are headed could clarify that for me.

Oliver

That's the way I look at it...but EVERY coach deserves 3 years at a program minimum.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: N HOG on February 07, 2009, 11:29:11 pm
I've not said one time that I think he shouldn't be given a third year.

Sure sounds like it here:

Why would you say that only if it makes everyone happy that we should suffer through his third season? Assuming a slightly sarcastic tone on your part, that means you think the opposite of "what makes everybody feel better".

jonesark™

yes and you almost can't do anything in 3 years.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: jonesark on February 08, 2009, 01:24:12 pm
yes and you almost can't do anything in 3 years.
I agree. I think 4 should be minimum personally, but so many people were talking trash about Pel and about "coaching watches" and all kinds of stuff that I wanted to see everyone's opinion. I am glad to see that by far most people think 3 should be a minimum.

Adam Stokes

Depends what's coming in and what he's doing to make the future better.  If Pel had a losing record with what he inherited his first year and recruited crap players, than yeah.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ajs15razorman on February 08, 2009, 05:21:25 pm
If Pel had a losing record with what he inherited his first year
He didn't, though. 2nd round of the NCAA tourney.

bao187

depends on the school, in a place where recruiting should be easy, say LA or NC, 3 years to turn it around and appear in the right direction is enough, in a school that cannot build as fast as other schools four years should be minimum, to get the other guys recruits out and your freshmen turn seniors
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

bao187

Coach K went 38-47 in his first 3 years as head coach at Duke making the NIT only in his first year and no tourney the following two, just think if Duke got tired of him after missing the Tourney 3 straight years, college basketball would be alot different now
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: bao187 on February 08, 2009, 07:07:07 pm
Coach K went 38-47 in his first 3 years as head coach at Duke making the NIT only in his first year and no tourney the following two, just think if Duke got tired of him after missing the Tourney 3 straight years, college basketball would be alot different now
I agree. Some of the best coaches ever have taken a few years to get going. Doesn't mean they are bad coaches.

In this day and age everyone wants everything yesterday, though, so fans don't have as much patience as they used to.

kuhog

A coach needs longer than 3 years to prove himself. If improvement isn't shown by year 4, then the administration needs to consider future changes. That doesn't mean an immediate coaching change, but at least begin the searching process for a realistic replacement.

bao187

Quote from: kuhog on February 08, 2009, 09:24:39 pm
A coach needs longer than 3 years to prove himself. If improvement isn't shown by year 4, then the administration needs to consider future changes. That doesn't mean an immediate coaching change, but at least begin the searching process for a realistic replacement.

i agree 100%

Brass Knob

A coach needs three years to turn a program around, especially under the conditions that Pel inherited the UofA.  However, I think what bothers most people is not the fact that we are losing in general, but more of how we lose.  Regardless, he deserves 3 years.  If nothing else two victories against top 10 teams, OU is #2 in the country and I think still only has one loss btw, should earn him at least next year.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: kuhog on February 08, 2009, 09:24:39 pm
That.

docryde3

Quote from: Brass Knob on February 08, 2009, 11:15:46 pm
A coach needs three years to turn a program around, especially under the conditions that Pel inherited the UofA.  However, I think what bothers most people is not the fact that we are losing in general, but more of how we lose.  Regardless, he deserves 3 years.  If nothing else two victories against top 10 teams, OU is #2 in the country and I think still only has one loss btw, should earn him at least next year.
Two victories of top 10 teams proves our basketball program isn't bad, just needs some better coaching. He already proved that freshmen are good enough to win so you can't keep blaming it on that sometimes you have to start blaming the real problem the coaching staff
Woo Pig Sooie

bao187

Quote from: docryde3 on February 09, 2009, 09:01:40 pm
Two victories of top 10 teams proves our basketball program isn't bad, just needs some better coaching. He already proved that freshmen are good enough to win so you can't keep blaming it on that sometimes you have to start blaming the real problem the coaching staff

absolutely not, when you have such a young team you are going to get really good along with really bad, you may have two great games against top 10 teams and then blow a 15 point lead to lose the game, that is signs of a young team they don't know their limits yet, they run out of fuel sometimes, give this team time with this coaching staff you will be happy in the next coming years

rzrbackrob

5 years unless something is going horribly wrong, like 1-7 in a weak SEC in year #4
Good is the enemy of great

Overtheroadtruckdriver

9 months. That is plenty of time to have a baby and plenty of time to evaluate a coach. That gives you three months to find a new coach and start another 9 month cycle. Look at the Duggars and their TV show. Look how they have kept having babies and how much they can accomplish in a 9 month period of time. I think a coach should have an evaluation every 9 months and if he isn't getting it done, he's gone. As far as Pel, I think we should give him at least 9 more months, though, if for no other reason than for how well the razorbacks played against Oklahoma and Texas.

booogaga

GO HOGS!