Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A GOOD coach doesn't lose like pels teams have

Started by no3putts, February 07, 2009, 04:49:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

no3putts

a good basketball coach, regardless of personel doesn't lose like pel has. A good coach has a team fundamentally sound, plays good d and doesn't get blown out. If we don't have the talent or age, that's one thing but were getting blown out by average teams. A good coach might lose but not the ways we seem to every game. Its on the coach, we sunk so far we can't get a proven coach, our last 2 coaches were supposed to Learn on the job. Our d is not getting it done, there not in the right position. A good coach would have them fundamentally sound win or lose. We have the same team plus some average guys coming in. Its not going to. E much better next year.

shankin6

Coach K this week vs Clemson (47-74) and against Michigan (73-81)
Beiheim today against Nova (85-102)
Izzo earlier this year against Maryland (62-80)

all those guys have a National Championship.....

3kgthog

I'm pretty sure the teams that beat those coaches are better than Auburn and Ole Miss. Nice try.

fanofthehog

You are pointing one game each for those other teams - we are 1-7 in conference play.  1-7!!!!!

shankin6

February 07, 2009, 05:03:24 pm #4 Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 05:05:05 pm by HogBloggerJr
"A good coach has a team fundamentally sound, plays good d and doesn't get blown out."

tmorph84

Quote from: HogBloggerJr on February 07, 2009, 04:57:55 pm

...you're joking right?

Oliver

And they all have a chance to compete for another this year.

shankin6

Nope he said a good coach doesn't get blown out.... I mean if you're going to be irrational you might as well go all out

no3putts

those top coaches had there teams in those games, that's my point. Losing and getting blown out is 2 different things. Its easy to see who played sports and understand it as opposed to keyboard athletes

WhenPigsFly

Were those guys all 15 pts. up at halftime, too?

I am REALLY beginning to think that Pelphrey is in over his head

Hog Pharm

I don't see how you know the players coming in are average when you haven't seem them play.  Marshawn is a consensus top 50 player. That was an ignorant comment.

fineswine

Coach K. was 27-30 after two seasons.  People need to calm down.  The kids ran out of gas.  Hopefully next year we will have a full roster.

no3putts

The ones that keep posting about coach k, Roy, and others might have lost games but not in this fashion. One thing to lose another to be outcoached every game.

WhenPigsFly

For every Coach K, there are probably 300 Quinn Snyders.

shankin6

Quote from: no3putts on February 07, 2009, 05:16:30 pm
those top coaches had there teams in those games, that's my point. Losing and getting blown out is 2 different things. Its easy to see who played sports and understand it as opposed to keyboard athletes

"those top coaches had [THEIR] teams in those games"- Duke was never in that game
"Losing and getting blown out [ARE] 2 different things"- you don't get a full loss for getting blown out and 1/2 a loss for keeping it close
"[it's] easy to see who played sports and understand it opposed to keyboard athletes"- ad homenim is a typical response when dealing with an irrational argument, you assume because of my dry humor and witty personality I must not have been able to play sports.  I assure you, like others on this board, some people are born with the ability to do multiple things.   

Your argument was simply a "good coach doesn't lose like Pel's teams have," I gave you example where that happened.  Pel isn't perfect, but we're stuck with him.  Suck it up and support him.     

TuckerRay

Quote from: no3putts on February 07, 2009, 04:49:48 pm
a good basketball coach, regardless of personel doesn't lose like pel has. A good coach has a team fundamentally sound, plays good d and doesn't get blown out. If we don't have the talent or age, that's one thing but were getting blown out by average teams. A good coach might lose but not the ways we seem to every game. Its on the coach, we sunk so far we can't get a proven coach, our last 2 coaches were supposed to Learn on the job. Our d is not getting it done, there not in the right position. A good coach would have them fundamentally sound win or lose. We have the same team plus some average guys coming in. Its not going to. E much better next year.

Not sure what is the cause, coachng, chemistry, talent, one thing for sure this team just plain ole sucks.

shankin6

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on February 07, 2009, 05:26:17 pm
Were those guys all 15 pts. up at halftime, too?

I am REALLY beginning to think that Pelphrey is in over his head

Clemson was only up 12 at halftime....

BassinHawg

It's a conspiracy, after beating OU and Texas the University of Kentucky made a deal with Pel to become their next head coach at some time in the future.

To make things easier for Pel to leave Arkansas they came up with a plan for him to stink it up royally.

Just a thought!
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

moses_007

Quote from: BassinHawg on February 07, 2009, 06:27:43 pm
It's a conspiracy, after beating OU and Texas the University of Kentucky made a deal with Pel to become their next head coach at some time in the future.

To make things easier for Pel to leave Arkansas they came up with a plan for him to stink it up royally.

Just a thought!

You reckon?

ua_hogs

We have NO depth, to say that this was on the coach is ignorant.  If you couldnt tell by watching the game that our guys had no gas left in the tank, your opinion is worthless.

no3putts

so what about the other bad losses this year, man the excuses are so numerous. If its not one excuse you will use another. Its people like you that keep making excuses and waiting for next year that allow us to fall this far. Other programs dont get as high as we did and fall this far. Its a win now game. The farther you fall the harder it is to get back in the top 25.

Jhaynie

Hey guys, I'm frustrated as well, but we have no depth.  It doesn't help that Monk isn't playing as well.  We're playing a lot of Freshmen.  Give them some time.  They will get better.  It was obvious that they hit a wall in the second half.  Not to mention that MSU set a school record with 3's made.  They shot the ball extremely well in the second half.  It's a whole lot easier to make some shots when you're opponent doesn't have a deep rotation and they're dragging a**.  Let's not start getting down on a coach that's in his second year.

N HOG

Someone please remind me -- when was the last time we were 1-7 in league play?

ua_hogs

Quote from: no3putts on February 07, 2009, 07:08:19 pm
so what about the other bad losses this year, man the excuses are so numerous. If its not one excuse you will use another. Its people like you that keep making excuses and waiting for next year that allow us to fall this far. Other programs dont get as high as we did and fall this far. Its a win now game. The farther you fall the harder it is to get back in the top 25.

we lost to better teams, what did you actually expect this year?  oklahoma and texas spoiled our fans.  for gods sake we have steven cox and john noland on scholarship.  we lost our top 6/7 players from last year, monk and mcdonald are gone.  these are not excuses, they are facts. 

the only two guys who have actual playing time in college are welsh and washington, and their minutes last year were minimal.
now that these young guys are learning the game, they will improve.  but it doesnt matter how good they are right now because we have no one to come in off the bench to help.  not only do we start three freshman, but the top three players off the bench are two freshman and a sophmore. 

your original comment said that we are losing to average teams, guess what, we are a below average team who happened to escape some scary early games and somehow upset ou and texas.  but your right, we will just keep getting rid of coaches because that has been very successful in the history of the game.  then we will be looking for another up and comer to try to get it done.  if you didnt notice, pel wasnt our first choice, we got turned down by several coaches.

i think our program should be a top 15 program but it doesnt happen overnight with new coaches every other season.  im not making excuses, i just dont live in la la land like you seem to be.

rude1

Quote from: Jhaynie on February 07, 2009, 07:28:41 pm
Hey guys, I'm frustrated as well, but we have no depth.  It doesn't help that Monk isn't playing as well.  We're playing a lot of Freshmen.  Give them some time.  They will get better.  It was obvious that they hit a wall in the second half.  Not to mention that MSU set a school record with 3's made.  They shot the ball extremely well in the second half.  It's a whole lot easier to make some shots when you're opponent doesn't have a deep rotation and they're dragging a**.  Let's not start getting down on a coach that's in his second year.
Who hasn't shot a decent three point % against this team, other than Bama?  MS has good shooters, we have the worst three point defending team in the conference, the writing was on the wall.

bwbcpa

Obviously we hired the wrong guy. When will you be available?  ::)

RZRBack_FAN

And so it begins "PelHaters" and "PelHuggers"  :)

athunt

Quote from: ua_hogs on February 07, 2009, 06:41:39 pm
We have NO depth, to say that this was on the coach is ignorant.  If you couldnt tell by watching the game that our guys had no gas left in the tank, your opinion is worthless.

The reason we got gassed is because Moore and Clark never touched the scorers table in the second half. Last time I checked Dean Webber wasnt putting players in. THE COACH DOES
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

ua_hogs

Quote from: athunt on February 07, 2009, 11:50:48 pm
The reason we got gassed is because Moore and Clark never touched the scorers table in the second half. Last time I checked Dean Webber wasnt putting players in. THE COACH DOES

because they were giving us good minutes? 

what your saying is, you know the reason why we lost, and the coach who gets paid hundreds of thousands doesn't.  you have evaluated the talent during practice everyday as well as watched the game film and have come to the conclusion that pel is wrong and you are right. 

seriously you are making yourself look like an idiot.  if you seriously dont think that pel wouldnt have put those guys in if he thought it would have helped then you are in fact an idiot.  i dont care how bad a coach is, they aren't idiots, they don't get paid that much money to make decisions that you feel you could make better.

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: Lazarus P. Hog on February 08, 2009, 04:47:39 am
Did anyone notice that MSU got very hot shooting the 3 pointers ?
I think I saw a fan don a MSU uniform and hit a couple of 3's. Up by 16 at one point and to lose by 7 is a 23 point swing. Pel and the boys blew one out of the wazzu today. Basketball, like life aint always fair.....

i noticed they did the same thing in fayetteville and in the first half. If it were me I'd change something and make them beat me inside. Especially when the newspaper the day before told you exactly what MSU would do. If they keep hitting 3s, change SOMETHING! It may get you beat somewhere else but you just can't play the "Damn I hope he misses the next one" defense
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Lieutenant Dan

Pel?  Sometimes you feel like a Nutt?

athunt

Quote from: ua_hogs on February 08, 2009, 12:20:15 am
because they were giving us good minutes? 

what your saying is, you know the reason why we lost, and the coach who gets paid hundreds of thousands doesn't.  you have evaluated the talent during practice everyday as well as watched the game film and have come to the conclusion that pel is wrong and you are right. 

seriously you are making yourself look like an idiot.  if you seriously dont think that pel wouldnt have put those guys in if he thought it would have helped then you are in fact an idiot.  i dont care how bad a coach is, they aren't idiots, they don't get paid that much money to make decisions that you feel you could make better.
And Sanchez was making the best of his minutes?
Obviously if you take 2 guys out of a rotation then the playing time of the others will go up..right? There for fatigue will set in faster...right? I think your the one who made yourself look like an idiot.
I dont care how much they play or for how long, but all I know is we had a double digit lead in the first half, so why on earth would you try and deviate from what worked? I dont know what they do in practice, and I never will. But I know there is a 15 minute intermission between the first half and the second, and I doubt Clark or Moore did something to get benched for the next half. Moore got an offensive rebound, drew a foul, and knocked down a free throw right before the half.  But I guess your right, Pel made the right decision to bench them. Good post tool.
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

rzrbackrob

I'm concerned that the Hogs don't seem to have the ability to guard the 3, but I see it as being a youth and personnel problem and not coaching. Pel was an assistant under Sutton and Donovan, and has Rob Evans on his staff now. I may be wrong, but I don't remember the problem with guarding the 3 to this extent last year.

Good is the enemy of great

ua_hogs

Quote from: athunt on February 08, 2009, 05:02:28 pm
And Sanchez was making the best of his minutes?
Obviously if you take 2 guys out of a rotation then the playing time of the others will go up..right? There for fatigue will set in faster...right? I think your the one who made yourself look like an idiot.
I dont care how much they play or for how long, but all I know is we had a double digit lead in the first half, so why on earth would you try and deviate from what worked? I dont know what they do in practice, and I never will. But I know there is a 15 minute intermission between the first half and the second, and I doubt Clark or Moore did something to get benched for the next half. Moore got an offensive rebound, drew a foul, and knocked down a free throw right before the half.  But I guess your right, Pel made the right decision to bench them. Good post tool.

just so we are clear, in your opinion you would have done something different than the coach, and you think that it is because you know something as simple as players wouldn't get as tired if other players got more pt. 

if you think, and obviously you do, that a D1 coach doesn't realize this then coach pel shouldn't be coaching junior high girls.  there is obviously something else going on.

This has nothing to do with what I know, because im not a D1 coach, you have yet to realize this for yourself.  Sanchez doesn't give us good minutes, thankyou for proving my original point that we have no depth, based on him playing over the other guys. 

I just dont understand how someone posting on a basketball forum thinks he knows as much or more then a D1 coach.   

Pork Twain

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 07, 2009, 05:00:29 pm
I'm pretty sure the teams that beat those coaches are better than Auburn and Ole Miss. Nice try.
Well we are not as good as any of those teams that lost.  So that evens it out.  Give it time.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jep_hog_fan

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 07, 2009, 05:00:29 pm
Quote from: fanofthehog on February 07, 2009, 05:01:44 pm
You are pointing one game each for those other teams - we are 1-7 in conference play.  1-7!!!!!

Yep, and yep.

Jim Harris

I don't believe this one season, which everyone knew coming in was going to be like this, is a referendum on Pelphrey. They played a horrible nonconference schedule and overachieved into two wins that made everybody all of a sudden think this team was better than it really is. What you're seeing is what was always expected by anyone who follows recruiting and knows what Arkansas lost from last season.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Pork Twain

Everyone wants to forget about that we struggled under Nolan and Sutton when they first got here.  People want instant gratification now days.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Our coach doesn't have any confidence in Clark and Moore.  That is a fact or they would play more.  I think necessity will drive them onto the floor more and more.  We played with and ahead of a decent team on their floor with the refs giving many homer calls as one would expect for a half.  We went to hell in the second half mainly because we were bone tired.  We aren't a great defense on the 3.  We aren't a good defense at anything when we are tired.  Where most teams play a freshman mixed in with the vets, we play 3 to 5 freshmen every game mixed in with 2 older first year starters.  WHEN IN YOUR MEMORY HAS ARKANSAS STARTED 5 FIRST YEAR STARTERS, 2 WHICH ARE FRESHMEN, 1 THAT IS A RS FRESHMAN AND 2 THAT ARE JRS.  I think NEVER is the answer.  I hate poor coaching as much as anyone.  I begged for Nutt to be removed years before he was.  To scream about Pel's coaching at this point is unbelievable. 

chiefsfan

If you guys went to practice, you would know why Moore and Clark arent playing more

We have to remember that as fans, all we see is the games.  We dont get to see these kids outside of the basketball court
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Nuttsuks

Quote from: BeoPig™ on February 08, 2009, 07:40:03 pm
Everyone wants to forget about that we struggled under Nolan and Sutton when they first got here.  People want instant gratification now days.

Well Said!
Folks, ya can't expect it all right away. You can't expect kids, who at this time last year were playing High School ball, to come out and instantly click. Takes time. Put away the Torches and Pitchforks already. It will happen. Hogs will be back in the mix very soon. Have a little faith. Pel will do great things for this program.   

The Hogfather

Quote from: chiefsfan on February 08, 2009, 09:25:19 pm
If you guys went to practice, you would know why Moore and Clark arent playing more

We have to remember that as fans, all we see is the games.  We dont get to see these kids outside of the basketball court

I don't see what they do in practice, but I see what they do in games.  They both show glimpses of brilliance and they are for sure going to ultimately be better than Sanchez.  They might be right now.

All I know is they need more minutes.  I don't care what they do, or don't do, in practice.  Give me Matt Jones over Robert Johnson everyday and twice on Sundays.

Jim Harris

who recruited them?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

clifflee4mvp

sure we do, why in fact they are my neighbors
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

darkhogfan

I think what you actually mean is that a GREAT coach's team doesen't lose like this.  I believe Pel is a good coach, but not yet a great coach, although he does have the potential to be one.  People making these posts are the same people who said Pel would be coach of the year after OU and Texas. Pel is not the coach of the year nor is he the worst coach in the nation.  So many people have to go the extreme either way.  Am I upset about the Ms St, Auburn losses? yes.  Do I get frustrated watching this team play? How could I not?  I refuse to jump ship on this team or the coach while the jury is still out on both. Give the man some time.
"She had a weakness for writers...and I was never that good with words anyways"-Ben Nichols

Calihog

bellavistamike

Many people thought Nolan was a dog his first couple years at the UofA. But once he started getting his players and they learned his system, things got better. I like Pel but who knows if his system will produce a good result once (and if) he gets better talent on the team.

I think folks b*tching about a guy in his second year at the helm is more than a joke. It clearly shows the dysfunction that sports fans in this era have when it comes to supporting their team and allowing time for the good things to be developed.  At least no one in this thread (yet) has called for Pel to be fired...

Pork Twain

Quote from: drakehog on February 09, 2009, 10:20:02 am
who recruited them?
Recruiting a kid that looks good in high school and getting them to perform in the SEC are two different things.  Not like everyone is beating down the doors to get into Arkansas since 96.

GBPackerFan

We are out there rotating 7 guys.  Give me a break!  They are going to get tired by the end of the game.  What an ignorant post!