Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema was a disaster as a recruiter and guess what?

Started by HognotinMemphis, December 21, 2017, 09:13:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

it showed in the results, didn't it? Almost pulled another conference bagel for 2017 but for a miracle comeback win over Ole Miss. 11-29 in SEC over 5 years. Proof is in pudding. Recruiting was nowhere near as good as the class rankings said under Bielema.

Regarding here and now, why hadn't Bielema offered Ferrel? He got offers from Memphis, Louisville, Bama and others. Why didn't Bielema offer the Mabry kid from TN and swarm him with love for last year? He signed with Notre Dame. Bielema's judge of talent stinks. And apparently he does not mind lack of speed in his recruits.

I think Bielema survived at Wisconsin for 7 years due to Alvarez smoothing everything out for him. Without his babysitter, he failed on his own and failed miserably.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Bubba's Bruisers

I think his recruiting was on par with previous HC's.  He was just a substandard HC.  He's a bit of a dinosaur.

And his success at Wisky was largely during a time when Michigan and Penn State were down, and Tosu was in NCAA trouble.  Playing in a conference where speed wasn't a high priority.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

justmakeit2thebcs

Obviously you are going by stars or who else offered.  By that standard Beleima was no different than any other coach at Arkansas in the last 40 years.  In Fact I'd say, CBB offered more bigtime recruits than NUTT or Petrino.  I do believe he didn't put enough emphasis on speed.

Dwight_K_Shrute

His recruiting his first couple of years may have been on par, but his evaluation and/or development of talent was not great in the back half.  And while his overall class rankings fit in the band of past HC's his hold on instate talent and relationship with instate and regional HC coaches was not strong.  Basically he got fat happy and lazy in all aspects once he thought he had it made and it showed in the results on and off the field.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: HoginMemphis on December 21, 2017, 09:13:02 am
it showed in the results, didn't it? Almost pulled another conference bagel for 2017 but for a miracle comeback win over Ole Miss. 11-29 in SEC over 5 years. Proof is in pudding. Recruiting was nowhere near as good as the class rankings said under Bielema.

Regarding here and now, why hadn't Bielema offered Ferrel? He got offers from Memphis, Louisville, Bama and others. Why didn't Bielema offer the Mabry kid from TN and swarm him with love for last year? He signed with Notre Dame. Bielema's judge of talent stinks. And apparently he does not mind lack of speed in his recruits.

I think Bielema survived at Wisconsin for 7 years due to Alvarez smoothing everything out for him. Without his babysitter, he failed on his own and failed miserably.

Based on this 24/7 link, ND seems to be an outlier. Offers from Cincy, CSU, Memphis but nothing from TN, local Vanderbilt or LSU.  I saw him play the past couple years and while I'm no college scout, I was surprised when I saw his ND commitment.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Cole-Mabry-96886/RecruitInterests

navyhog24

Alvarez is Wisconsin. He tells the each placeholder coach what to do. The head coaches he has hired are just his puppets. And I think Bielema's failure here proved that theory.

IronMountainHog

He robbed us blind, sucked at his job, and recruited like bull darn. But half these clowns on here gives us the line of "well, he seems like a good guy, I'd love to have a beer and shot the bull with him". He wasn't paid to be our buddy, he was paid to lead this football program. And at that he sucked. Good riddance fat azz.

razorbackfaninar

I can go on-line and read reviews about cordless drills.  I can go to Lowes and buy the highest rated most expensive drill they have, but at the end of the day if I take it home and try to drive nails with it, I might think it I had picked a bad tool when in actuality it was a good drill that I didn't use right. Bielema was a good recruiter.  He out recruited his predecessors statistically while putting up some of the worse seasons in Razorback football history. If you think he was a bad recruiter then you haven't studied our history since joining the SEC.   

King Kong

Poor SP and close game decisions had more do with it than his actual ability to recruit

HawgTide

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 21, 2017, 09:26:34 am
His recruiting his first couple of years may have been on par, but his evaluation and/or development of talent was not great in the back half.  And while his overall class rankings fit in the band of past HC's his hold on instate talent and relationship with instate and regional HC coaches was not strong.  Basically he got fat happy and lazy in all aspects once he thought he had it made and it showed in the results on and off the field.

Dwight hits it out of the park

Switchback

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 21, 2017, 09:26:34 am

I don't know about that.  His last class was a pretty darn good class.  There was some freshman talent on this team last year.

DeltaBoy

After looking back over the past 5 years of data he tanked after year 3 and never recovered.  I also agree he good with a baby sitter like Barry.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Torqued pork

You can't be slow in the SEC. Bielema never got it. He never should've left Wisconsin. He will never have it so good again.

The OTR

He had choices.  Do I pick up the phone and call this guy or pick up this pulled pork sandwich? Do I get on a plane and fly to see this guy or get someone to drive me to Ben's apartment?

He made his own 12 million dollar bed.  Now he can lie in it.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

ImHogginIt

He survived because Wisconsin has a shiit load of people with German, Norwegian and Swede ancestry. He had a plethora of 6-7 300 lb lineman to recruit from.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HawgTide on December 21, 2017, 09:36:53 am

Dwight hits it out of the park
Yes he did. The first couple of replies did not address my questions at all.

Why this was sent to GS I do not know. Guess some admins do not want Nazi-like control of what is written and what is read and discussed. This guy was our head coach just a month ago.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

From Tusk Till Dawn

He had 2 bad years, one was expected the other got him fired.  Maybe he didn't recruit Texas like most would have preferred but to say he didnt recruit well is not accurate.

HiggiePiggy

He recruited fine.  He just didn't know how to use them. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HognotinMemphis

December 27, 2017, 06:49:50 pm #19 Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:12:41 am by HoginMemphis
Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 27, 2017, 05:17:24 pm
He recruited fine.  He just didn't know how to use them.
He recruited fine? What about the lack of team speed? What about the lack of a decent O line with depth? What about the worst defense his last two years in the history of Arkansas football? You can blame SOME of the lack of success on bad coaching and leadership by the head coach but a lot of it is bad recruiting...regardless of how his classes were rated at time of signing.

jkstock04

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 21, 2017, 09:28:51 am
He robbed us blind, sucked at his job, and recruited like bull darn. But half these clowns on here gives us the line of "well, he seems like a good guy, I'd love to have a beer and shot the bull with him". He wasn't paid to be our buddy, he was paid to lead this football program. And at that he sucked. Good riddance fat azz.
Ding ding ding ding.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: HoginMemphis on December 27, 2017, 06:49:50 pm
He recruited fine? What about the lack of team speed? What about the lack of a decent O line with depth? What about the worst defense his last two years in the history of Arkansas football? You can blame SOME of the lack of success on bad coaching and leadership by the head coach but a lot of it is bad recruiting...regardless of how his classes were rated at time of signing.

And these same recruits will probably win 7 or 8 games next year. Coaching was bad. Did you not see the second half of games in almost every one of Bielemas coaches games here? We lost 2 or 3 more games each year because of Bielemas poor coaching. He proved to not be able to build a program.  He could recruit some decent players though, he was just terrible at managing them correctly. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 28, 2017, 04:47:36 pm
And these same recruits will probably win 7 or 8 games next year. Coaching was bad. Did you not see the second half of games in almost every one of Bielemas coaches games here? We lost 2 or 3 more games each year because of Bielemas poor coaching. He proved to not be able to build a program.  He could recruit some decent players though, he was just terrible at managing them correctly.
7 wins next year, given the schedule, is a pipe dream. I'll be happy with 5.

DeltaBoy

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on December 21, 2017, 09:24:59 am
Obviously you are going by stars or who else offered.  By that standard Beleima was no different than any other coach at Arkansas in the last 40 years.  In Fact I'd say, CBB offered more bigtime recruits than NUTT or Petrino.  I do believe he didn't put enough emphasis on speed.
You and another poster in here either have lost your senses or you just throw BS out there just to see how much crap will stick and how much will slide down the wall on to the floor. The only thing that CBB did better than Bobby Petrino was park his fat ass in the halls of Fayetteville High and recruit from there. Arkansas will NEVER compete in the SEC with the majority of players being from NW Arkansas. A couple or three, maybe. But we had 5 solid years of FHS quarterbacks running the show and where did that get us once all of Petrino's recruits graduated and got a job or went to the NFL ? NO FRICKIN WHERE, that's where. There is so much talent in NE Texas yet you never saw Bielema's 500 lbs of phat down here recruiting. He got what he deserved as Bielema's best performances while in Arkansas were the few times Justin Moore showed up to give a concert. I'm glad those days are over and we can at least open up the offense.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 28, 2018, 09:36:57 am
You and another poster in here either have lost your senses or you just throw BS out there just to see how much crap will stick and how much will slide down the wall on to the floor. The only thing that CBB did better than Bobby Petrino was park his fat ass in the halls of Fayetteville High and recruit from there. Arkansas will NEVER compete in the SEC with the majority of players being from NW Arkansas. A couple or three, maybe. But we had 5 solid years of FHS quarterbacks running the show and where did that get us once all of Petrino's recruits graduated and got a job or went to the NFL ? NO FRICKIN WHERE, that's where. There is so much talent in NE Texas yet you never saw Bielema's 500 lbs of phat down here recruiting. He got what he deserved as Bielema's best performances while in Arkansas were the few times Justin Moore showed up to give a concert. I'm glad those days are over and we can at least open up the offense.
You nailed it. You know you are right. I know you are right. And Lanny knows you are right. That is all that matters.

Bebop

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 21, 2017, 09:28:51 am

He played us like used car salesman, in my opinion. Of course he is going to be nice if he is getting paid a fat (no pun intended) paycheck.

Bebop

Spot on. I wish I saw it sooner, but year 3 is when I realized we underachieved and Bielema probably wasn't going to work out.