Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No more kickoffs?!

Started by TheBigGriffkowski, July 18, 2016, 01:22:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddyhawg

A suck up to the anti-football crowd.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Sportster365

What's next flags? Kickoffs are exciting to watch, no better way to pop off a game than with a KO.

PLHawg

Probably just as well for us, as we haven't had a kicker who could get it into the end zone in recent memory.

Inhogswetrust

Dumbest idea ever in the history of football.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The_Iceman

Quote from: PLHawg on July 18, 2016, 01:54:52 pm
Probably just as well for us, as we haven't had a kicker who could get it into the end zone in recent memory.

If you kick it to the endzone now, the other team gets it on the 25. If you have a kicker that can kick it high and land it inside the 10, you have a good shot of pinning them inside of 20 yards. I think most of the time, not kicking it into the endzone is by design now since they moved it up to the 25.

KlubhouseKonnected

I used to hate returning kickoffs... I really enjoyed wedge breaking though.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Hawgar The Horrible

Which would eliminate on side kicks as well. That is dumb.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

allredhog

Would Alabama have beaten Clemson without the onside kick?  Since the injury crowd does not seem to care about punts, I have an alternative. Since the ball is free game after it goes 10 yards on a kickoff the team that wins the toss can choose offense, defense, which endzone it wants to go to or defer.  Much like it is now. If the team that wins takes defense, the loser gets the ball on their 40, 4th and ten. They can run a play to get a first down or they can punt or they can fake a punt.  Takes the kickoff out of the game but still lets you "cover the ball" after ten yards by making a first down
A redhead married a redhead and had redheaded children and all are HOGS!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 18, 2016, 01:59:29 pm
If you kick it to the endzone now, the other team gets it on the 25. If you have a kicker that can kick it high and land it inside the 10, you have a good shot of pinning them inside of 20 yards. I think most of the time, not kicking it into the endzone is by design now since they moved it up to the 25.

Thank you.  Coaches have been saying this since the 25 yard line was the touchback spot, but most folks on here bemoan the fact we don't kick it into the endzone.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

alohawg

This is a great game......being fundamentally changed, one rule at a time until.  :puke:
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

JaketheSnake

If research can show that that will significantly reduce head/neck injuries, then I could deal with it.  It does provide some fireworks, but most KO returns are against weaker teams IMO. 

Not saying I would like it, but with the everything thats going on something is going to happen sooner or later. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: JaketheSnake on July 18, 2016, 03:04:57 pm
If research can show that that will significantly reduce head/neck injuries, then I could deal with it.  It does provide some fireworks, but most KO returns are against weaker teams IMO. 

Not saying I would like it, but with the everything thats going on something is going to happen sooner or later. 
I'd have to see some real numbers supporting that compared to the injury rate on average.  I looked but I couldn't find the number for kickoffs specifically.  the average per capital injury rate is 8.1 injuries per 1000 exposures (games and practices)  30% of those being sprains and 7% being concussions.

They would need to show that those numbers are significantly increased for kickoffs. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 18, 2016, 03:15:39 pm
I'd have to see some real numbers supporting that compared to the injury rate on average.  I looked but I couldn't find the number for kickoffs specifically.  the average per capital injury rate is 8.1 injuries per 1000 exposures (games and practices)  30% of those being sprains and 7% being concussions.

They would need to show that those numbers are significantly increased for kickoffs. 
I agree.  T

WMHawgfan

Sarcastiball coming soon to a stadium near you.

greenie

I'm guessing that this would eliminate on-side kicks as well.  I don't like the sound of that.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: greenie on July 18, 2016, 04:21:07 pm
I'm guessing that this would eliminate on-side kicks as well.  I don't like the sound of that.
I'm sure it would be more of an option if it ever passes?  Teams can opt to get the ball at the 25 or KO I would assume.

PorkSoda

Quote from: greenie on July 18, 2016, 04:21:07 pm
I don't think they could eliminate it without replacing it with something equally strategic, but at some point its not going to be football anymore.

I understand wanting to make the game safer, but every player knows that there is the risk of injury and they make the decision play anyway.  Things like Targeting rules and better helmets are good for the game.  getting rid of key strategic aspects, is not so good IMO.

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

alohawg

July 18, 2016, 04:29:15 pm #18 Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 02:07:40 pm by alohawg
Quote from: PorkSoda on July 18, 2016, 03:15:39 pm

The best way to reduce injury rates, particularly concussions, touch football or Madden.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

PorkSoda

Quote from: JaketheSnake on July 18, 2016, 04:27:32 pm
I'm sure it would be more of an option if it ever passes?  Teams can opt to get the ball at the 25 or KO I would assume.
kickers will eventually be a thing of the past.  it will be a game called football where its illegal for the foot to touch the ball.

PorkSoda

Quote from: alohawg on July 18, 2016, 04:29:15 pm
The best to reduce injury rates, particularly concussions, touch football or Madden.
I'm thinking they need those bubble suits. 

alohawg

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 18, 2016, 04:31:58 pm
I'm thinking they need those bubble suits. 

The way things are trending.......safest thing to do, take the ball and go home permanently. FFW to the yr. 2116, a football is just another museum piece encased at the Smithsonian.

That actually looks fun. ^^^
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

Hugo Bezdek

July 18, 2016, 05:12:24 pm #22 Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:24:55 pm by Hugo Bezdek
The safety concerns aren't new but I think there are better ways to deal with them than eliminate kickoffs altogether. I have seen some statistics in the past on concussions and the number of concussions per play were substantially higher for kickoffs than for passing or rushing plays. Here's an article from a few years ago with some good ideas from Mike Westhoff on how to make kickoffs safer.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/04/mike-westhoff-special-teams

Pigsknuckles

I believe that the most important consideration is that such a rule would eliminate the unit of time measurement by which we plan for the game to start. That would be a scheduling nightmare to fans and networks alike.  ;D

Seriously, who was the Arkansas player who was injured on a kick off in Little Rock a few years back? Was it Marcus Monk? Pretty serious stuff as I recall. Some type of abdominal injury.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

PonderinHog

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on July 19, 2016, 11:06:50 am
I believe that the most important consideration is that such a rule would eliminate the unit of time measurement by which we plan for the game to start. That would be a scheduling nightmare to fans and networks alike.  ;D

Seriously, who was the Arkansas player who was injured on a kick off in Little Rock a few years back? Was it Marcus Monk? Pretty serious stuff as I recall. Some type of abdominal injury.
Dennis Johnson.  Perforated stomach - could have died.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 18, 2016, 04:28:14 pm
I understand wanting to make the game safer, but every player knows that there is the risk of injury and they make the decision play anyway. 
How many 8 year old pop warner kids do you think have any inkling of the possible repercussions of getting hit in the head, or the reasoning skills to understand the dangers?

-phil

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on July 19, 2016, 12:01:51 pm
How many 8 year old pop warner kids do you think have any inkling of the possible repercussions of getting hit in the head, or the reasoning skills to understand the dangers?

-phil

Don't assume that all older players started playing that young or their parents didn't know. ALL sports have a risk of injury no matter what the age is.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 19, 2016, 11:21:06 am
Dennis Johnson.  Perforated stomach - could have died.

Thanks. That was scary.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

PorkSoda

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on July 19, 2016, 12:01:51 pm

-phil
I'm pretty sure pop warner kids aren't hitting each other with same speed that NFL players are.  when I was that age, I thought people that played football in pads were wusses.  we definitely weren't worried about concussions.

Piggfoot

July 20, 2016, 06:53:29 am #29 Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:03:13 am by Piggfoot
Eazy peazy. Just replace the KO with a punt. Both teams lineup on the 40 or whatever yard line is decided upon for a regular punt. Ball is snapped and punted. If the 40 is chosen a celebration penalty would line up on the 25. Rules the same for punting . Punting team has one down to make ten yards and keep the ball. (on side kick substitute)
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

SantaHog

The best idea that I've heard came from Bill Cowher, I believe.  The kicking team does not get to be in motion prior to the kick.  The team in possession of the ball is not allowed to be in motion on any other play, including punts, so why kickoffs?  This also changes the safety of onside kicks, drastically by changing a 20 yard running start to 10 yards.  Moving the kickoff back to the 40, but requiring the kicker to be within ten feet of the ball was another suggestion.  This virtually removes kickoffs through the back of the end zone.  Combining these two ideas, it would make kickoffs safer and still provide more balls in play to return.

Hoggish1

what about the onside kick?  I guess they didn't think about that...

Smalltownhog95

While we're at it let's take away pitchers from baseball to eliminate any chance of a line drive straight back at the mound.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

factchecker

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on July 20, 2016, 02:42:06 pm
While we're at it let's take away pitchers from baseball to eliminate any chance of a line drive straight back at the mound.

I can't remember what show it was but there was some stir about how MLB should consider shortening the game to 7 innings.  It was a ratings (attention span) not a safety argument but still boggled my mind that someone would want to change the game.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

TheBigGriffkowski

The Ivy League will kickoff from the 40 in conference games this year. Any touchbacks will be placed on the 20. NCAA experimenting with kickoff solutions.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/wave-future-ncaa-approves-big-experiment-ivy-league-kickoffs/

PorkSoda

Quote from: Piggfoot on July 20, 2016, 06:53:29 am
Eazy peazy. Just replace the KO with a punt. Both teams lineup on the 40 or whatever yard line is decided upon for a regular punt. Ball is snapped and punted. If the 40 is chosen a celebration penalty would line up on the 25. Rules the same for punting . Punting team has one down to make ten yards and keep the ball. (on side kick substitute)
completing a 10 yard pass is a lot easier than completing an onside kick.

Hog N Bama

They are going to just keep whittling away till football is no more

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: alohawg on July 18, 2016, 02:58:45 pm
This is a great game......being fundamentally changed, one rule at a time until.  :puke:

This.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

East Clintwood

Have every college team sponsor a pee-wee football team and they suit up on game day.

On kickoffs, a college player does the actual kicking but then leaves the field while the opposing pee-wee teams run the remainder of the play.  These guys aren't big enough to hurt each other so that takes care of the injury situation.

The pee-wee players would make for an exciting and unpredictable kickoff return and coverage.

Everybody wins!!
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: SantaHog on July 20, 2016, 11:41:47 am
............... Moving the kickoff back to the 40, but requiring the kicker to be within ten feet of the ball was another suggestion.  This virtually removes kickoffs through the back of the end zone. 

not saying the idea is bad........but saying THAT eliminates kickoffs thru the endzone is horse manure. I played against
a kid in high school that two stepped all his kickoffs and we never returned a single one. So.........not close to true.

Theolesnort

This is not hard. Move the kick off spot closer to the end zone where everyone would have a kicker that could kick it where it would be nonreturnable and spot it at the 20 like we used to do. That way very few teams would get cute and try to kick high to pin a team way back. Then you would still be able to on side kick when needed. One would think while it took long returns out of the game it would also reduce injuries. There is no perfect solution but this would seem to be the least disruptive to the integrity of the game as we now know it.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Theolesnort on July 21, 2016, 06:46:10 am
This is not hard. Move the kick off spot closer to the end zone where everyone would have a kicker that could kick it where it would be nonreturnable and spot it at the 20 like we used to do. That way very few teams would get cute and try to kick high to pin a team way back. Then you would still be able to on side kick when needed. One would think while it took long returns out of the game it would also reduce injuries. There is no perfect solution but this would seem to be the least disruptive to the integrity of the game as we now know it.

I'm not sure there's a lot of integrity left.

300 yards passing is fairly common.
Running backs aren't all that valued.
Points are scored too easily.
Defense used to be tough and hard hitting, but now it's fluffy and cute with the goal of just slowing the offense down.
QBs are over protected.

Honestly, the kickoff issue is small compared to what's happened to the defensive side of the ball, IMHO.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Pig Power

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 20, 2016, 12:02:39 pm
what about the onside kick?  I guess they didn't think about that...
I was thinking the same thing.. Sure changes the end of half/game strategy

flynhog

A better idea is no more facemarks.  That fixes a lot of football issues.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

WizardofhOgZ

With the current sensitivity to injury and the ability of sabermetrics to pinpoint actions that cause them, it's almost a foregone conclusion that the kickoff is on the endangered species list.  Sooner of later, they're going to take this away.  The stats are pretty conclusive. 

I've got to admit, as a traditionalist and with college football being my favorite of all sports to follow, I hate to see it go away totally.  The 100 yard dash for a TD is one of the most exciting plays in College Football.  I don't want to see it totally eliminated from the game.

So, why not do this; limit the kickoff to the the opening of each half - kind of like college basketball did with the jump ball (albeit for totally different reasons)?  In the typical game these days, I'd think there were 8 to 10 kickoffs (one to start each half, and then after each TD or FG).  So doing this would be about an 80% reduction in the frequency of the kickoffs, which should greatly reduce the injuries related to the play.

I would say you could retain on-side kicks, but only for teams (a) behind, and only (b) in the last 3 minutes of the second half.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on July 20, 2016, 02:42:06 pm

And don't forget Hockey. This skates are sharp and need to be duller...........I saw one not to long ago cut the goalie and I though he was gonna bleed to death right there on the ice.