Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Practice Report, anyone?

Started by Oklahawg, August 12, 2011, 08:09:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

So, we lose a star player to a gruesome injury and we quit covering practices? ;)

Or, was it inside and no one on hogville was allowed inside?

Just curious to read tidbits to back up what Petrino had to say publicly.

Thanks to those who go so the rest of us get the "scoop". Its truly appreciated, despite the snide intro to this thread!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HF#1

I'm shocked nobody was posting during practice from the stadium.  Didn't stop them yesterday. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Jon Ham

We had a practice report thread yesterday, just not a whole lot of activity in it so it fell off the front page yesterday.

Click the globe under my name to the left to access my notes from yesterday.

Edit: I realize you're talking about today, not yesterday. Practice was indoors today. Follow the blog on my website to see when I'll be covering practices and if/when practices are indoors/outdoors.

Jon Ham

Also, UU is spending time with his family for his parents' 50th wedding anniversary this weekend. He should've left me his media pass!   ;D

Oklahawg

Yeah, with the practice moved inside and UU out of commission I should have kept my mouth shut. No sense seeming unappreciative of what we have going for us!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Clint Alan

Practice was closed today. May be closed the rest of camp
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

razordank42

Quote from: Clint Alan on August 12, 2011, 08:16:25 pm

thats the only way for them to keep injuries secret till they notify the proper people. cant say that i blame them if they did close practice

Oklahawg

Quote from: Clint Alan on August 12, 2011, 08:16:25 pm

Is this due to Petrino's rant about Davis' family finding out from a 3rd party about Knile's injury?

colbs

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 12, 2011, 08:19:18 pm
Is this due to Petrino's rant about Davis' family finding out from a 3rd party about Knile's injury?
Yea I figure might be closed the rest of the way.

Jon Ham

I have to say that I was pretty annoyed at seeing people get on their phones when the injury occurred. People need to be respectful of the rules established by Petrino. Being at the practices is a privilege, one that I highly value, and if you can't follow some simple clear rules and you have to ruin it for the rest of us just because you want to be "first" to spread the bad news, then screw you.

On the other hand, I don't know why this really surprised Petrino and why he now may let this influence his policy. Nowadays everyone is on their phone 24/7 with twitter and all that crap, you have to expect that anything big that happens during practice is going to get out before you can officially talk about it.

SquidBilly

One would imagine and to be honest I can't blame him.  For all the good things about social media there are also some drawbacks.  Certainly having momma find out from ESPN that her boy was seriously injured is a downside.  I think Petrino's biggest issue was that even though there is a no cellphone policy at practices someone still got the message out about Knile's injury.  His comment seemed to be somewhat directed towards UU as one of the sources.  Since it happened early in the scrimmage they continued on with it, all the while the story was spinning out of control.  Acknowledging the fact that social media can't be controlled he has taken the only action he has at his disposal to restrict a similar issue from occurring again.

AFWarrior83

Petrino "is" a players coach, just not in the same way as Nutty and Cheezestick.
Hogville member since 2005.

farmhawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 12, 2011, 08:15:13 pm
Yeah, with the practice moved inside and UU out of commission I should have kept my mouth shut. No sense seeming unappreciative of what we have going for us!
All of that fame has went to UU's head....practice reports are just not up to the level he set last year...
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

SquidBilly

Quote from: farmhawg on August 12, 2011, 08:42:16 pm
All of that fame has went to UU's head....practice reports are just not up to the level he set last year...

What's with your personal vendetta againsy UU?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: farmhawg on August 12, 2011, 08:42:16 pm

Perhaps he is busier these days with other committments...business and family that precludes his attendance to some degree this year. Additionally, things like that can detract from your focus, no matter who you are. I'm glad we have people wanting to report ANYTHING on practices. It really helps all of us who are not local to NW Arkansas and can't get to practices. I think I'll just be thankful that anyone is doing it at all, instead of being critical of those who do.
Go Hogs Go!

farmhawg

Quote from: ATLpiggie on August 12, 2011, 08:54:39 pm
What's with your personal vendetta againsy UU?
First, I like UU, go back and read any of my posts to him or PM's for that matter. Second I was using humor that must have went over both of your heads.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

farmhawg

Can football not get here fast enough?

Sheesh.
From theflyinghog

RAF

I think he was equally annoyed that news outlets (including ESPN) found out from, among other things, Twitter and began reporting it before the staff had even been able to assess the injury.

It somewhat reminds me of a news report I read about Bill Nye (the Science Guy!) a few months back.  He was giving a seminar at the University of Maryland (I think), and he passed out on stage.  Out of the hundreds of people in the audience, not a single person tried to help him... instead, they all got out their smart phones and started taking pictures, tweeting about what they'd just seen, texting their friends about what they'd just seen, ect.

RAF

Quote from: farmhawg on August 12, 2011, 09:00:31 pm
First, I like UU, go back and read any of my posts to him or PM's for that matter. Second I was using humor that must have went over both of your heads.
I think you need to get your sarcasm button fixed.  It doesn't seem to be working.

farmhawg

Quote from: dxf04 on August 12, 2011, 09:11:30 pm
I think you need to get your sarcasm button fixed.  It doesn't seem to be working.
Totally broken...
From theflyinghog

cade321

Clarks Dad

Guys, UU is not the person who caused this. Someone else tweeted the info onto the Twitter Page of a respected media personality. Somehow someone from ESPN saw it, and ran with it.

Many of the media who reported it, left the stadium to do so, and the TV outlets waited until their late show to do it. My outlet did not report it until 9:45pm.

As for today, The Practice was very intense, perhaps the most intense that I've ever seen it. They drilled the running game HARD. Dennis Johnson looked fast.

In the presser after the practice CBP said that they could either use the injury as an excuse, or motivation to work hard and win games.
Clark, you were sent to us for a very special reason. And whatever that reason is, it's not to score touchdowns.