Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Camino de Santiago

Started by oldhawg, March 06, 2016, 09:23:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oldhawg

My wife and I are off on our next big adventure this Tuesday, March 8th.  We plan to trek the 800 km Camino de Santiago pilgrimage from the small village of St. Pied de Port, France, to Santiago de Compostela, Spain, where the remains of the apostle St. James are alleged to be interred.  This has been a popular pilgrimage for over a thousand years from locations throughout Europe, but the route we are taking is historically the most popular. 

We expect to finish in about two months, but are allowing three months to finish the walk because of our old bodies and creaky joints.  Actually this is both a both a spiritually and a historically significant event for us.  We plan to take our time and stop at every cathedral and every old castle along the way to learn what we can about the history of the region and about the Basque culture, and perhaps a little personal insight into our selves ---- you know, that "one thing" in life that many seek but only a few find.  Well, the one thing that I hope to discover are fine wines and good food, just not to excess.  :)

We have not decided if we are taking any electronics with us, but probably will relent and take a cell phone.  Also we prepared by walking a little over the last couple of months, and watching the movie, "The Way" last night.  We are really looking forward to this experience.

Hogfan46

Quote from: oldhawg on March 06, 2016, 09:23:40 pm
My wife and I are off on our next big adventure this Tuesday, March 8th.  We plan to trek the 800 km Camino de Santiago pilgrimage from the small village of St. Pied de Port, France, to Santiago de Compostela, Spain, where the remains of the apostle St. James are alleged to be interred.  This has been a popular pilgrimage for over a thousand years from locations throughout Europe, but the route we are taking is historically the most popular. 

We expect to finish in about two months, but are allowing three months to finish the walk because of our old bodies and creaky joints.  Actually this is both a both a spiritually and a historically significant event for us.  We plan to take our time and stop at every cathedral and every old castle along the way to learn what we can about the history of the region and about the Basque culture, and perhaps a little personal insight into our selves ---- you know, that "one thing" in life that many seek but only a few find.  Well, the one thing that I hope to discover are fine wines and good food, just not to excess.  :)

We have not decided if we are taking any electronics with us, but probably will relent and take a cell phone.  Also we prepared by walking a little over the last couple of months, and watching the movie, "The Way" last night.  We are really looking forward to this experience.

Wow, that is both an exciting and daunting undertaking. I have been intrigued by that pilgrimage myself. Please keep us updated if at all possible. I hope you and your wife have a safe, enjoyable and enlightening journey. Godspeed.

husker71

old hawg    please tell me you and the wife are in you early to late 20s    that is way to much for me

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: oldhawg on March 06, 2016, 09:23:40 pm

I have no religion, but that's still one of the coolest things I've heard in awhile.  Good luck.  A cell phone is probably a good idea. 

oldhawg

If someone can explain how I can post pictures (from google drive) I'll post a few. 

I will forever be an old dog learning new tricks with a computer.

oldhawg

47 walking days, 4 resting days, about 830 kilometers

oldhawg

oldhawg

oldhawg

oldhawg

oldhawg

HawgWild

Looks like you had a great trip. What did you enjoy the most? The least? Thanks for posting.

oldhawg

June 18, 2016, 12:40:49 pm #12 Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 09:17:39 pm by oldhawg
Quote from: HawgWild on June 17, 2016, 02:30:30 pm
Looks like you had a great trip. What did you enjoy the most? The least? Thanks for posting.

Looking back, it was all good, even the not so good.  My wife sprained her ankle about a week into the journey, so we took a day off to rest, wrapped her ankle every day, and pressed forward, albeit at a bit slower pace for a few days.  About half way through we encountered six or seven consecutive days of rain, sleet, mixed with snow, and high winds.  At the end of each day we simply sought a hot shower, dry clothes, a hot meal with a cold beer (beer never tasted so good), and a warm bed.  Following those few days, the sun popped out and spring burst upon us. Our senses were sharpened in appreciation of our surroundings ---- flowers brilliantly colored everywhere, birds singing, newborn animals of all kinds, and the wonderful warmth of the sun.

For us life and time slowed down.  We totally shut politics, sports, and bills out of our minds.  Again  retrospectively, I can say that we became more in tune with our surroundings and more spiritually aware.  Our personal relationship with each other (which was strong to begin with) took on greater depth and new meaning.  For us, it was indeed a very positive event, one which we are now glad that we made the time to participate in.

We were older and slower than most.  An average time to complete the pilgrimage is probably about 35 days or so, but we are satisfied with our transit time.  Our longest trek in one day was 31 kilometers, our shortest was about 12 kilometers.  But we were in no hurry, we traveled at the pace we wanted to each day.  It was a worthwhile journey.