Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To be successful at Arkansas...

Started by ambien_sky, December 13, 2017, 11:23:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ambien_sky

December 13, 2017, 11:23:41 am Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:03:02 pm by ambien_sky
I think it's absolutely crucial that the coach be able develop 3 star players, to the level of 4-5 star athletes that are hungry to win. Petrino was excellent at that.  I believe that was a big problem with the style Bielema ran.  It required incredible talent, that we just couldn't get here on a regular basis.

It's a MUST that Chat Morris and staff are able to recruit players with lesser talent,  or at least not as highly ranked as the top recruits, and develop them into stars.  For those of you in the know,  that have done more research than me, can Chad Morris do this?  Does he have a pretty good history of developing players?  As I said,  in my opinion,  it's a must here at Arkansas if he expects to win.

JONAS

Al Boarland

Does that mean other coaching staffs develop 4 of 5 star players into 6 star players?

hogman78

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 13, 2017, 11:30:31 am
Does that mean other coaching staffs develop 4 of 5 start players into 6 star players?

Looks like it when Bama plays

code red

Quote from: JONAS on December 13, 2017, 11:30:22 am
Or sign 5* players.
Agreed..if Clemson can do it?  We can do it!!!  Time will tell yes.  The spread offense attracts recruits like flies to honey.  We got the right guy. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

WOOPIGDOOIE

I think he has proved he can be successful with lesser talent, he had far less talent at SMU then what he can get here. But with his and his assistants attitude toward recruiting, i feel he can bring in high level talent.   

HogHomer

Quote from: code red on December 13, 2017, 11:33:11 am
Agreed..if Clemson can do it?  We can do it!!!  Time will tell yes.  The spread offense attracts recruits like flies to honey.  We got the right guy.
It's not like south carolina produces a lot more D-1 prospects than Arkansas or anything like that.

DeltaBoy

You got to follow former MSU Coach Mullen"s formula  Get the best you can and Coach them up.  Gary Patterson been a master at this at TCU!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PossumFan

Recruit the best talent you can that fits your system, coach 'em up and develop them to reach their full potential as university football players. There. Said it without mentioning "stars."

bob slydell

Quote from: HogHomer on December 13, 2017, 11:40:35 am
It's not like south carolina produces a lot more D-1 prospects than Arkansas or anything like that.

According to the numbers, SC produces almost double the D1 recruits that Arkansas produces.  And Clemson's recruiting area in NC, GA, and FL is much more fertile overall.  Of course there are a lot more major programs in their area, but they do have a significant advantage over us in terms of location.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Dark Helmet Hog

Talent that fits your system is the key, or adjust the system to fit the talent. Bielema failed at that.

Atlhogfan1

No. This has been discussed.  First Petrino had 4 and 5 star recruits on offense.  A few on D too.   

Bielema failed because he didn't follow up his early oline recruiting with numbers and talent, inconsistent qb play and injuries.  He didn't build the program the way he said he was. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 13, 2017, 12:21:52 pm
No. This has been discussed.  First Petrino had 4 and 5 star recruits on offense.  A few on D too.   

Bielema failed because he didn't follow up his early oline recruiting with numbers and talent, inconsistent qb play and injuries.  He didn't build the program the way he said he was. 

Discussion doesn't equate being right. There are a lot of pieces that went into the failure of the Bielema tenure.   

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on December 13, 2017, 12:24:17 pm
Discussion doesn't equate being right. There are a lot of pieces that went into the failure of the Bielema tenure.

Yes.  And the success with Bobby.  Coaching up 2 and 3 stars greatly exaggerated. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

elksnort

Quote from: Al Boarland on December 13, 2017, 11:30:31 am
Does that mean other coaching staffs develop 4 of 5 star players into 6 star players?
I was thinking the same thing.

I am not sure 2 stars ever become 5 stars, but I do get the overall point of the OP.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 13, 2017, 12:29:30 pm
Yes.  And the success with Bobby.  Coaching up 2 and 3 stars greatly exaggerated. 

Agreed. It seldom happens with anyone. When a 2 star becomes a 5 star it is usually because of growth, and in some cases, work ethic. You recruit talent and provide a framework for players to grow and improve. You don't "coach them up".
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

elksnort

Quote from: Bob Slydell on December 13, 2017, 11:51:09 am
According to the numbers, SC produces almost double the D1 recruits that Arkansas produces.  And Clemson's recruiting area in NC, GA, and FL is much more fertile overall.  Of course there are a lot more major programs in their area, but they do have a significant advantage over us in terms of location.
I think the post was sarcastic. I hope.

Razorbackers

Quote from: ambien_sky on December 13, 2017, 11:23:41 am
I think it's absolutely crucial that the coach be able develop 2 and 3 star players

big if true

HogHomer

Pig in the Pokey

we dont recruit friggin 2 *s. Almost all of our roster is 3-5*
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Hopeful Hog

I hate this mentality! This is what we've had beaten into our heads and I'm sick of it! How about let's not settle for the scraps no one wants, how about not fighting the American and MAC level programs for the " Diamonds in the Rough" type guys. Here's an original thought, why don't we take some of the best the country has to offer and Coach THEM up? There's no reason we have to cower before the likes of LSU, A&M, or even Bama. Are we gonna win most of those battles? No. Does that mean we should stop? Absolutely not!!!! The reason Bret Bielema failed here is because he did that exact thing, took a bunch of two and three stars and tried to coach them up into something. If you build your program like that you become super inconsistent and if any of your players go pro early or get hurt then you're screwed because their backups aren't ready to compete yet.

WE ARE NOT Memphis or SMU, WE ARE NOT Vanderbilt or Kentucky, WE ARE NOT Texas Tech or Washington State, WE ARE the freaking ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS start acting like it!

IronHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 13, 2017, 12:21:52 pm

Yes and no.

BP had 4*'s like the Jones boys but his best recruits were often overlooked players with great bodies like Philon, Flowers, and Wise
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HogHomer

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 13, 2017, 01:00:43 pm
I hate this mentality! This is what we've had beaten into our heads and I'm sick of it! How about let's not settle for the scraps no one wants, how about not fighting the American and MAC level programs for the " Diamonds in the Rough" type guys. Here's an original thought, why don't we take some of the best the country has to offer and Coach them up? There's no reason we have to cower before the likes of LSU, A&M, or even Bama. Are we gonna win most of those battles? No. Does that mean we should stop? Absolutely not!!!! The reason Bret Bielema failed here is because he did that exact thing, took a bunch of two and three stars and tried to coach them up into something. If you build your program like that you become super inconsistent and if any of your players go pro early or get hurt then you're screwed because their backups aren't ready to compete yet.
He had to take those guys because he swung for the fences multiple times but struck out alot then didn't have the relationships built to bring in the 4 star and high 3 star players and had to rely on under recruited players.

We can try to go after the blue chippers and put all of our resources into it but what happens when those guys leave us high and dry like they always have. We can get the odd blue chippers but to act like all we have to do is try harder is going to make us all of a sudden more attractive to high level talent is laughable.

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: HogHomer on December 13, 2017, 01:09:30 pm
He had to take those guys because he swung for the fences multiple times but struck out alot then didn't have the relationships built to bring in the 4 star and high 3 star players and had to rely on under recruited players.

We can try to go after the blue chippers and put all of our resources into it but what happens when those guys leave us high and dry like they always have. We can get the odd blue chippers but to act like all we have to do is try harder is going to make us all of a sudden more attractive to high level talent is laughable.

He didn't have the relationships in fertile ground like Morris does though, that's a HUGE difference between the two. You can't come from recruiting slow white boys from the northern corn fields and expect to start landing the real talent from Texas, Louisiana, or Florida. The one year he did get talent from Florida look what happened, Alex Collins and Kirkland showed up and made a serious difference. You wanna be competitive with the big boys then you have to recruit like the big boys. None of this scrounge through the leftovers garbage in hopes that there's a late bloomer or whatever. I'm sick of hearing "we don't care about the star rankings, we just get guys that fit our system." That's a load of crap! It just means your not good enough to get the difference makers. As if a 5 star athlete wouldn't fit ANY system smh.

RME

I hate this mentality! This is what we've had beaten into our heads and I'm sick of it! How about let's not settle for the scraps no one wants, how about not fighting the American and MAC level programs for the " Diamonds in the Rough" type guys. Here's an original thought, why don't we take some of the best the country has to offer and Coach THEM up? There's no reason we have to cower before the likes of LSU, A&M, or even Bama. Are we gonna win most of those battles? No. Does that mean we should stop? Absolutely not!!!! The reason Bret Bielema failed here is because he did that exact thing, took a bunch of two and three stars and tried to coach them up into something. If you build your program like that you become super inconsistent and if any of your players go pro early or get hurt then you're screwed because their backups aren't ready to compete yet.

WE ARE NOT Memphis or SMU, WE ARE NOT Vanderbilt or Kentucky, WE ARE NOT Texas Tech or Washington State, WE ARE the freaking ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS start acting like it!

Tell that to recruits, not us.

Hopeful Hog

hogsanity

Only going to go so far trying to win by " coaching em up ". Better players are going to win most of the time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 13, 2017, 01:31:19 pm
Only going to go so far trying to win by " coaching em up ". Better players are going to win most of the time.

Exactly what I'm trying to say. I for one am sick of settling for mediocre.

RME

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 13, 2017, 01:38:02 pm
Exactly what I'm trying to say. I for one am sick of settling for mediocre.

So you think our coaches like settling for it, too? What exactly are we supposed to do to get a kid from Louisiana to pick us over offers from Alabama and LSU? Not like we're competing for championships year in and year out.

No, I'm not advocating for "settling." But it's dumb to tell other people they're quitters or "settle" because we realize we aren't gonna rake in 5* recruits until we start winning.

So guess what? Gotta start winning first with these recruits we're "settling" for unless we wanna start throwing money around.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 13, 2017, 01:31:19 pm

WTH does that mean?

IronHog

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 13, 2017, 01:20:22 pm
He didn't have the relationships in fertile ground like Morris does though, that's a HUGE difference between the two. You can't come from recruiting slow white boys from the northern corn fields and expect to start landing the real talent from Texas, Louisiana, or Florida. The one year he did get talent from Florida look what happened, Alex Collins and Kirkland showed up and made a serious difference. You wanna be competitive with the big boys then you have to recruit like the big boys. None of this scrounge through the leftovers garbage in hopes that there's a late bloomer or whatever. I'm sick of hearing "we don't care about the star rankings, we just get guys that fit our system." That's a load of crap! It just means your not good enough to get the difference makers. As if a 5 star athlete wouldn't fit ANY system smh.

On the flip side it does zero good to get NFL bodies then bury them on the depth chart behind the #uncommon

steveaustin69

You legitimately do not know what you are talking about. Please calm down, and stop yelling.

jm

To be successful at Arkansas you have to field an adequate defense. The teams in our league do not give up 50 points a game. We must hold teams to something manageable if we want any chance of winning.

SoonerBaHog

If Oklahoma can get 4 and 5 star recruits Arkansas should be able to also.

steveaustin69

Quote from: SoonerBaHog on December 13, 2017, 01:54:31 pm

L-O-L

RME

Quote from: SoonerBaHog on December 13, 2017, 01:54:31 pm

If Arkansas had 15 10+ win seasons this century, I'd agree with you.

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on December 13, 2017, 01:45:11 pm

WTH does that mean?

Really? You cant figure out what that means? Ok, I'll bite. It means when you go play a team that has better players, players with more talent, you are going to lose more often than you win.  If the players i sign are not as talented as the players you sign, more often than not your team will win. My 3 star CB may be the best coached and have the most desire, but if he is 5'10" 170lbs and runs a 4.5 & he is trying to cover a wr that is 6'4" 220 and runs a 4.3, guess who is going to win that war by the end of the day. IF my ol is made up of guys that are 3stars and are a half step slower than your 4 & 5 star dl, guess who's Qb is going to be running for his life all day.

You are not going to win any titles in the sec trying to win with talent that is inferior to BAma, Aub, LSU you have go to find a way to get SEC talent into the program, and I ma not talking about 4 or 5 players a year, I am talking 12-15 legit sec calibre players every recruiting class, and some of them have to be lb's.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 13, 2017, 01:41:42 pm
So you think our coaches like settling for it, too? What exactly are we supposed to do to get a kid from Louisiana to pick us over offers from Alabama and LSU? Not like we're competing for championships year in and year out.

No, I'm not advocating for "settling." But it's dumb to tell other people they're quitters or "settle" because we realize we aren't gonna rake in 5* recruits until we start winning.

So guess what? Gotta start winning first with these recruits we're "settling" for unless we wanna start throwing money around.

I'm not naive enough to think that we're going to "rake in 5* recruits" right off the bat. It is going to take winning to drive our brand enough so that the cream of the crop will want to be associated with us but there is only so much winning we can do with inferior talent. Look at Bama, you know what their classes were ranked before Saban showed up? Somewhere in the high to mid teens, about 8 spots above us give or take, by Sabans 2 year he had them in the top 5 and hasn't been out of it since. Bama wasn't the mighty Bama before Saban put a major emphasis on bringing the best talent and never "settling" for less. You say we're not gonna get the 5* until we win and I say we aren't gonna win (not really win I mean) until we start bringing in the 5*.

Just to clarify I don't mean nothing but 5* guys, that's unreasonable. I do mean however that we bring in more top tier talent than not. Something like mostly 4* with the occasional 5*, with some 3* sprinkled in for good measure. No more of this offering a kid with no real other P5 offers.

Porknoxville

Quote from: JONAS on December 13, 2017, 11:30:22 am
Or sign 5* players.
With out new staff, we will get our share of 4 star talent. Defensively we will probably have a tad harder time pulling elite players.
BuT, I believe our recruiting classes will far exceed what we've seen in the past. I can only think of one, maybe two classes that made it into the top 20.
28-45 has been out MO. 15-20 will be the new!

hogsanity

And how do you intend to get those kids to choose Arkansas over Bama/LSU/Aub/Ohio St/Texas/FLA/OU and whoever else is recruiting the best players in the country?

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on December 13, 2017, 01:50:46 pm
You legitimately do not know what you are talking about. Please calm down, and stop yelling.

First of all I haven't yelled one time, I've capitalized and punctuated for emphasis. Secondly I know exactly what I'm talking about. If you can't keep up I can't help that.

bob slydell

Quote from: HogHomer on December 13, 2017, 12:48:22 pm
Lol yes it was.

Durrrr!  I laugh at folks who miss the obvious.  If I could, I would smite myself for this.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 13, 2017, 02:10:21 pm
And how do you intend to get those kids to choose Arkansas over Bama/LSU/Aub/Ohio St/Texas/FLA/OU and whoever else is recruiting the best players in the country?

How did Bama/Saban do it? It wasn't by waving around a bunch of NC rings cause they didn't have any. It wasn't off of Sabans name cause he just left the NFL as a massive failure. Point is it CAN be done. Just have to have the right people with the right relationships and give them ALL the resources they require.

HogHomer

Quote from: Bob Slydell on December 13, 2017, 02:13:59 pm
Durrrr!  I laugh at folks who miss the obvious.  If I could, I would smite myself for this.
I'll cut you some slack. It's pretty hard to tell on hogville most of the time  :)

HogHomer

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 13, 2017, 02:17:42 pm
How did Bama/Saban do it? It wasn't by waving around a bunch of NC rings cause they didn't have any. It wasn't off of Sabans name cause he just left the NFL as a massive failure. Point is it CAN be done. Just have to have the right people with the right relationships and give them ALL the resources they require.
Alabama has 2 million more people in it's state. Also it's a 3 hour drive to Atlanta. Stop comparing our situation to Bama unless you are going to bring 2 million people to the state.

RME

Geography and demographics.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: IronHog on December 13, 2017, 01:04:17 pm

Yes and no.

BP had 4*'s like the Jones boys but his best recruits were often overlooked players with great bodies like Philon, Flowers, and Wise

His offense was loaded with 4 and 5 stars at skill spots and a few on defense.  He wasn't coaching up 2 stars. 

hogsanity

How did Bama/Saban do it?

In many cases they either walked over to Tuscaloosa High, or they drove the hour or so to Birmingham or Montogomery or some other Bama HS. Or they took a day trip to ATL and visited about a dozen 5 star types.

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: HogHomer on December 13, 2017, 02:21:47 pm
Alabama has 2 million more people in it's state. Also it's a 3 hour drive to Atlanta. Stop comparing our situation to Bama unless you are going to bring 2 million people to the state.

You bring up a good point with the population differences between Arkansas and Bama but the Atlanta part doesn't hold water because Fayetteville is only about a 5 hour drive to Dallas. Bama has to compete with Georgia for those guys, the closest major program we have to compete with in Dallas is SMU. I know there are other major programs in Texas but not IN Dallas. I'm not saying we are gonna BE Bama but we're never gonna consistently compete with them on the field until we compete with them off the field.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 13, 2017, 02:31:32 pm
You bring up a good point with the population differences between Arkansas and Bama but the Atlanta part doesn't hold water because Fayetteville is only about a 5 hour drive to Dallas. Bama has to compete with Georgia for those guys, the closest major program we have to compete with in Dallas is SMU. I know there are other major programs in Texas but not IN Dallas. I'm not saying we are gonna BE Bama but we're never gonna consistently compete with them on the field until we compete with them off the field.

Do you know how many fbs programs are within pretty easy drives of Dallas/Ft Worth? Do you know how many FBS programs are closer to DFW than Arkansas is?