Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Things Should Be

Started by 12247, December 13, 2017, 11:09:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tulsa, World in todays edition:::::Previous to this week, David Alexander, the HC of the largest Highschool in Oklahoma, Broken Arrow, had seen an Arkansas assistant coach twice during his 4 years at Broken Arrow.  On Monday, Arkansas staff member, Mark Smith was in Alexander's office, just 5 days after Morris was hired.  From BA, Smith drove to Union Highschool and visited with HC Kirk Fridrich.  On Monday night, Smith was in the home of Owasso DE, Courtre Alexander.  On Tuesday, Smith went to Jenks Highschool and then to Booker T. Washington Highschool to see HC Brad Calip.  It appears the plan was/is to visit every Highschool in the Tulsa area that produces Talented Football Players

In case you didn't know, Chad Morris took over as OC from Gus at Tulsa University in 2010 and provided a #5 rated offense in yards and #6 in scoring.  Article goes on to say Morris elevated SMU offensively from dismal to dynamic.

Article says Morris has many recruiting ties in Texas.  Within Bielema's 4 recruiting classes, he picked up 15 Highschool Texans.  Thirty years ago, the Dallas Morning News would publish the lists of elite prospects in Texas and and a significant percentage of those players listed Arkansas as a possible destination.

Morris stated that our recruiting heelmark would be in Arkansas and the remaining footprint would be Texas, Louisana, Oklahoma and surrounding states. 

The Broken Arrow HC noted that he knew Chad Morris from the Tulsa era because his son was at Tulsa during that time. Coach Alexander said during an open recruiting periods, youve got to put a 100,000 miles on your car.  I assume that is a little hyperbole.  However, I remember in 2016 about this time, someone noted that Bret had 30,000 miles in the air this recruiting season and they thought that was tremendous.  I happen to know a 71 year old business owner that has businesses in several countries that does that many air miles in two weeks.

Basically, the article indicates that the staff at Arkansas realize how important relationships can be at the Highschool level with the coaching staffs and above all else, this staff appears willing to actually work their rears off.

Tulsa is closer to UofA than they are to Norman.  We should find 2 or 3 or more Oklahoma Kids annually who want to be Hogs in my opinion.  I readily understand that just working hard cannot guarantee winning success, but it certainly is one important aspect of the overall project.

ChicoHog

Good news.  Hope it pays off not just now but years to come. 

Oklahawg

Great post!

Alexander has spent time as a college coach somewhere. An OL coach or at least a GA.

Owasso is coached by Bill Blankenship (Fayetteville HS last year for a championship, but also at TU as HC and a year as advisor to Fuente at Memphis).

Lee Mayberry tweeted out to Courtre Alexander (Owasso recruit) to come join the hog family, and something about needing more NE OK players at UA. Mayberry is still a very influential person in Tulsa. So is the family of Felix Jones.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

porque

That's ridiculous that we only had a coach in the Broken Arrow coach's office twice in four years.

JONAS

Wish we could find another Felix Jones.

bphi11ips

Tulsa is a metropolitan area with 1,000,000 residents and is closer to Fayetteville than Little Rock.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DeltaBoy

Nice news Go Coaching Staff!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LRHawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 13, 2017, 11:19:20 am
Tulsa is a metropolitan area with 1,000,000 residents and is closer to Fayetteville than Little Rock.

This bears repeating. I'm very excited to see us focusing on the area. Our head coaches past at Tulsa should only help.

redeye

Nice post!

I've never understood why we don't recruit Tulsa harder, but I bet we would if it were in Arkansas.  That shouldn't matter, though.

Hugo Bezdek

When I lived in Tulsa in the late '90s Arkansas got almost as much coverage as the Oklahoma schools in the news. Proximity and alumni presence should give us a foot in the door of a lot talent there.

Atlhogfan1

Maybe its because Broken Arrow hasn't been producing SEC level recruits. 

2 low 3 stars in current class
A 2 star in the last class
3 star OG who went to Tulsa and 2 star WR in the 2016 class
0 in the Okla Top 50 in 2015

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TebowHater

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 13, 2017, 11:14:46 am
Great post!

Alexander has spent time as a college coach somewhere. An OL coach or at least a GA.

Owasso is coached by Bill Blankenship (Fayetteville HS last year for a championship, but also at TU as HC and a year as advisor to Fuente at Memphis).

Lee Mayberry tweeted out to Courtre Alexander (Owasso recruit) to come join the hog family, and something about needing more NE OK players at UA. Mayberry is still a very influential person in Tulsa. So is the family of Felix Jones.

Owasso is also where Keon Hatcher was from (Petrino recruit).

Tyro3

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 13, 2017, 11:35:54 am

You keep your foot in the door, you never know when they will have a good player.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Tyro3 on December 13, 2017, 11:39:37 am
You keep your foot in the door, you never know when they will have a good player.

That's apparently the hope.  And keeping the good image among all the area coaches. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

26.2Hog

OP nailed it.

We lived in Tulsa for 7 years and like Hugo said, the media there gave the Razorbacks great coverage.  Lots of alumni and fans there, and Tulsa is right there in our backyard.

allhogislost

Former Greenwood and ASU quarterback Stephen Hogan is an assistant at Owasso. So there are some Arkansas ties there also. .

Ray_Finkle

Also...........   get the ball to your playmakers......   that tends to help with being successful....

Atlhogfan1

Let's see what is in Tulsa.

Current class
4 star S from Owasso going to Oh St - we offered
4 star WR from Union going to Ok St
The entire state has 6 four star recruits in this class.
3 star DT from Union going to OU - we offered
3 star OG from Bixby going to Ok St
3 star S from Union going to OU - we offered
3 star S from Owasso going to K St - recruited but didn't offer- Ark St did
3 star DE Courtre Alexander from Owasso - Tulsa, Liberty, Memphis, Ohio

Looks like we missed on a 4 star and two 3 stars in this class from Tulsa who are going to Oh St, Ok St and OU.  Okay. 

Atlhogfan1

2017 class

Oklahoma had 5 four star recruits (and 24/7 is very generous on their stars)

Top Tulsa area player 4 star S went to OU - Hogs offered
3 star TE from Jenks went to Texas - Hogs offered
Fisher from Union signed with Hogs
Curtis from Jenks signed with Hogs
Not Tulsa but Curl from Muskogee

Not like we haven't been recruiting Tulsa and NE Ok contrary to the OP. 

East TN HAWG

This is absolutely the reason for CBB.  However, what Morris is doing is different.  He is developing relationships with large school HCs now for when they get the 4-5 star recruit.  This is a lot of work, and you may not see return value for 5 years.  This will be a lot of hard work, but it should absolutely pay off in a few years. 

I am really warming up to Morris.  When hired, I thought it was a very bad hire.  I now realize he has a long term vision for success.  I'm still worried about the youth of his staff in the SEC, but I see a path for sustained success.  I'm really liking what he is doing overall. 

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 13, 2017, 11:50:07 am

Current class

Looks like we missed on a 4 star and two 3 stars in this class from Tulsa who are going to Oh St, Ok St and OU.  Okay.

1 or 2 a year would be plenty in my opinion. How many towns in Arkansas can we get 1-2 every year?

hawgon

That's real wise. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: East TN HAWG on December 13, 2017, 11:57:50 am
This is absolutely the reason for CBB.  However, what Morris is doing is different.  He is developing relationships with large school HCs now for when they get the 4-5 star recruit.  This is a lot of work, and you may not see return value for 5 years.  This will be a lot of hard work, but it should absolutely pay off in a few years. 

I am really warming up to Morris.  When hired, I thought it was a very bad hire.  I now realize he has a long term vision for success.  I'm still worried about the youth of his staff in the SEC, but I see a path for sustained success.  I'm really liking what he is doing overall.

I know what the plan/hope is.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgon on December 13, 2017, 12:06:06 pm
That's real wise.

Go to the places where you are recruiting? 

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 13, 2017, 11:58:18 am
1 or 2 a year would be plenty in my opinion. How many towns in Arkansas can we get 1-2 every year?

Got 2 last class.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 13, 2017, 11:58:18 am

There are over 20,000,000 people within a 5 hour (or so) drive of Fayetteville. About 1,000,000 of those live in Tulsa. We can sign 25 (or so) per class, so 1 or 2 per year sounds about right.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 13, 2017, 12:07:57 pm

Got 2 last class.

Which was an improvement. We haven't really been hitting Tulsa very hard since Garrick McGee left.

The NewEra

Quote from: 12247 on December 13, 2017, 11:09:35 am
Tulsa, World in today's edition:::::Previous to this week, David Alexander, the HC of the largest Highschool in Oklahoma, Broken Arrow, had seen an Arkansas assistant coach twice during his 4 years at Broken Arrow.  On Monday, Arkansas staff member, Mark Smith was in Alexander's office, just 5 days after Morris was hired.  From BA, Smith drove to Union Highschool and visited with HC Kirk Fridrich.  On Monday night, Smith was in the home of Owasso DE, Courtre Alexander.  On Tuesday, Smith went to Jenks Highschool and then to Booker T. Washington Highschool to see HC Brad Calip.  It appears the plan was/is to visit every Highschool in the Tulsa area that produces Talented Football Players

In case you didn't know, Chad Morris took over as OC from Gus at Tulsa University in 2010 and provided a #5 rated offense in yards and #6 in scoring.  Article goes on to say Morris elevated SMU offensively from dismal to dynamic.

Article says Morris has many recruiting ties in Texas.  Within Bielema's 4 recruiting classes, he picked up 15 Highschool Texans.  Thirty years ago, the Dallas Morning News would publish the lists of elite prospects in Texas and and a significant percentage of those players listed Arkansas as a possible destination.

Morris stated that our recruiting heelmark would be in Arkansas and the remaining footprint would be Texas, Louisana, Oklahoma and surrounding states. 

The Broken Arrow HC noted that he knew Chad Morris from the Tulsa era because his son was at Tulsa during that time. Coach Alexander said during an open recruiting periods, youve got to put a 100,000 miles on your car.  I assume that is a little hyperbole.  However, I remember in 2016 about this time, someone noted that Bret had 30,000 miles in the air this recruiting season and they thought that was tremendous.  I happen to know a 71 year old business owner that has businesses in several countries that does that many air miles in two weeks.

Basically, the article indicates that the staff at Arkansas realize how important relationships can be at the Highschool level with the coaching staffs and above all else, this staff appears willing to actually work their rears off.

Tulsa is closer to UofA than they are to Norman.  We should find 2 or 3 or more Oklahoma Kids annually who want to be Hogs in my opinion.  I readily understand that just working hard cannot guarantee winning success, but it certainly is one important aspect of the overall project.

When you read something like this it really magnifies the differences in coaches recruiting styles.  It's too early to make a bunch of bold statements about this staff, but if you are willing to pass out grades for having a recruiting plan that makes sense, attacking that plan and hard work, then this staff would grade extremely high.  The youthful enthusiasm this staff (only a few are with the team at this point) is infectious. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 13, 2017, 12:33:51 pm
Which was an improvement. We haven't really been hitting Tulsa very hard since Garrick McGee left.

Petrino's staff didn't sign but a handful from NEOK/Tulsa over his 4 full classes.

Hawgey-Davidson

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 13, 2017, 11:34:48 am
When I lived in Tulsa in the late '90s Arkansas got almost as much coverage as the Oklahoma schools in the news. Proximity and alumni presence should give us a foot in the door of a lot talent there.
I lived over there during this period as well. Not to be a contraian, but I remember things quite differently. I was starved for Razorback news on a daily basis. Tulsa World would run maybe several articles a week about my Hogs and it was always a NWA paper with their Razorbacks beat writer that was picked up on the wire. I guess I was lucky to get that. No message boards or smart phones back then. Just my take. So glad I relocated back to NWA.

Hogtimes

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 13, 2017, 11:50:07 am

Current class

Exactly....there are not that many Big12 or SEC type recruits in the Tulsa Area or even the State for that matter....and most of those have grown up die hard OU or OSU fans.     So it is very difficult for Arkansas to really get SEC quality recruits from that area.   I would not not expect Morris to have any more success than previous coaches have had.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 13, 2017, 12:36:59 pm
Petrino's staff didn't sign but a handful from NEOK/Tulsa over his 4 full classes.

From 2008-12 we signed 13 from OK. From 2013-17 we signed 5.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 13, 2017, 11:19:20 am

and heck of a lot better hs football.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgon

I lived in Tulsa in the early 90s.  In those days, Arkansas, Tulsa, OSU, and OU were referred to as "The Big Four" by the Tulsa World and all received coverage.  Along about 94 or 95 when Arkansas basketball was in its heyday and OSU basketball was pretty good too, all of the OSU [CENSORED] threw a hissy fit about the Razorback basketball team getting so much coverage and the Tulsa World stopped having a beat writer assigned to Arkansas.

As for the wisdom of spending time in Tulsa, and there are a bunch of darned idiots on this board.  There are a huge number of Razorback fans and alumni there.

A coach should go visit the coaches at Union, Broken Arrow, Jenks and the like on the regular.  If they don't have a kid you want now, they will soon.  That is where you build relationships, learn about that freshman that will be a stud, learn about that kid they played down at Muskogee who for whatever reason is not getting much attention, and so on and so forth.  To not do that kind of stuff is the height of laziness, short sightedness, and worthlessness when Tulsa is an easy 90 minute drive and a coach could drive over in the morning, meet with every coach in town, and be back in Fayetteville by dinner.

Occams Razorback

I like the fact we will be playing TU soon - wish we would play them home and away - OU has done so and there's little reason not to in my opinion
If it makes crumbs, it's probably not good for you.

Hoggish1

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 13, 2017, 01:12:01 pm
From 2008-12 we signed 13 from OK. From 2013-17 we signed 5.

Petrino' first full class was 2009. Not talking about walkons. 

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 13, 2017, 02:26:53 pm
Petrino' first full class was 2009. Not talking about walkons.

OK. He signed 12 from OK in 2009-12. Not Walkons.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 13, 2017, 02:31:49 pm
OK. He signed 12 from OK in 2009-12. Not Walkons.

11 from NE Ok and Tulsa which is what the conversation is.  3, 5, 1, 2   2010 class an anomaly.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawgon on December 13, 2017, 01:38:29 pm
I lived in Tulsa in the early 90s.  In those days, Arkansas, Tulsa, OSU, and OU were referred to as "The Big Four" by the Tulsa World and all received coverage.  Along about 94 or 95 when Arkansas basketball was in its heyday and OSU basketball was pretty good too, all of the OSU [CENSORED] threw a hissy fit about the Razorback basketball team getting so much coverage and the Tulsa World stopped having a beat writer assigned to Arkansas.

As for the wisdom of spending time in Tulsa, and there are a bunch of darned idiots on this board.  There are a huge number of Razorback fans and alumni there.

A coach should go visit the coaches at Union, Broken Arrow, Jenks and the like on the regular.  If they don't have a kid you want now, they will soon.  That is where you build relationships, learn about that freshman that will be a stud, learn about that kid they played down at Muskogee who for whatever reason is not getting much attention, and so on and so forth.  To not do that kind of stuff is the height of laziness, short sightedness, and worthlessness when Tulsa is an easy 90 minute drive and a coach could drive over in the morning, meet with every coach in town, and be back in Fayetteville by dinner.

Our staffs have recruited there.  Not stopped. 

Bash

That's only one Tulsa suburb and only one year. 
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

hawgon

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 13, 2017, 02:43:23 pm
Our staffs have recruited there.  Not stopped.

Not the last one.  They were lazy and they sucked.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Bash on December 13, 2017, 02:48:39 pm
That's only one Tulsa suburb and only one year.

It's the coach in OP quoted as whining about not being visited enough. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 13, 2017, 02:50:19 pm
It's the coach in OP quoted as whining about not being visited enough. 

BA is alot like Bentonville, good teams, good players, good facilities, but not terribly demographically diverse.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on December 13, 2017, 02:56:13 pm
BA is alot like Bentonville, good teams, good players, good facilities, but not terribly demographically diverse.

We are in the feel good honeymoon stage. These types are stories are great.  Better win or the narrative will change to why are our coaches wasting time at schools with no SEC level players?   

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on December 13, 2017, 01:36:16 pm
and heck of a lot better hs football.

As far as you know.  The North Little Rock team I saw this year could play with most public school teams around the country.  Pulaski Academy and Little Rock Christian regularly produce SEC caliber players. 

Looking at numbers, population of the Tulsa MSA in 2010 was 937,478.  8.4% of the population is African American.  Little Rock was 734,622 and 21.02%.  So, the African American population of Little Rock is twice that of Tulsa. 

Tulsa has been underappreciated by Razorbacks fans, but it isn't in Arkansas and is not nearly as important as Little Rock is to the future of the program or university.

mphshog

CCM has only been on the job for about a week.  I think we need to give him a chance to get around to all the surrounding schools to introduce himself
Baseball.  NUFF SAID

bphi11ips

Quote from: mphshog on December 13, 2017, 03:45:56 pm
CCM has only been on the job for about a week.  I think we need to give him a chance to get around to all the surrounding schools to introduce himself

Have you read this thread?  Looks like we all think he and his staff are doing a pretty good job of that so far.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 13, 2017, 04:12:53 pm
Have you read this thread?  Looks like we all think he and his staff are doing a pretty good job of that so far.
Yeah, even those of us that were about to jump off a cliff when he was hired are surprised by what he has done so far. 

Atlhogfan1 is somewhat correct.  Broken Arrow is the largest school in the state and never won a State Championship.  But Tulsa and surrounding area is a decent place to pursue talent and, Atlhogfan1, pursuing is a hell of a lot different that offering.  Act like you give a damn and go after it.

Union was ranked in the top 25 in the Nation until they lost to Owasso and Blankenship in the big school State Championship and now Owasso finished 17th, I believe, in the nation. 

Long ago, we were the number two school for collecting from the Tulsa area behind OU.  Now we are likely behind OU, OSU and maybe even Tulsa.  You will not get rich mining Tulsa but until we start ACTUALLY doing what we can to find and mine talent, we need to shut the hell up about our poor recruiting situation.

Oklahoma and Kansas have some very good Junior College talent annually.  We need to be fully aware of that and then do something about it besides send out a few offer letters.

Often, getting your head out of your rear end allows you to open your eyes and see whats going on.

The large school state championship has gone to a Tulsa Area High School for the past 25 or so years.  Also the 5A champion has been from Tulsa area much of that time.

Lanlord

Quote from: hawgon on December 13, 2017, 01:38:29 pm

I agree, you have to build the relationships and these coaches seem to get it.