Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top 30 Defensive Coordinators...

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, December 12, 2017, 07:15:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

According to CBS from 2016 (couldn't find 2017 stats yet) with regard to which ones were able to get their defensive teams off the field in 6 plays or less most frequently. It is expressed here in the percentage of times that their defenses were able to leave the field in 6 plays or less. It stands a possibility of not being entirely accurate if an opposing team scored in 6 or less plays against a defense, but how often does that really happen? This covers P-5 and G-5 and I have re-ranked them according to their percentages.

% Rank   Defensive Coordinator              Conf Level          % of Drives: 6 plays or less
1           Brent Venables, Clemson                P-5                       67.50%
2           Dave Aranda, LSU                         P-5                       66.50%
3           Jeremy Pruitt, Alabama                  P-5                       64.90%
4           Todd Orlando, Houston                  G-5                       62.10%
5           Bud Foster, Virginia Tech                P-5                       61.80%
6           Bob Shoop, Tennessee                   P-5                       61.70%
7           Luke Fickell, Ohio State                  P-5                       61.60%
8           Phil Bennett, Baylor                       P-5                       60.50%
9           Don Brown, Michigan                      P-5                       60.20%
10           Mike Stoops, Oklahoma                 P-5                       59.60%
11           Marcel Yates, Arizona                   P-5                       59.30%
11           Chuck Heater, Marshall                  G-5                       59.30%
11           Rocky Long, San Diego State         G-5                       59.30%
14           Nick Howell, Virginia                      P-5                       59.10%
14           Dave Womack, Ole Miss                 P-5                       59.10%
16           Todd Grantham, Louisville               P-5                       58.90%
16           Nate Woody, Appalachian State      G-5                       58.90%
18           Joe Cauthen, Arkansas State          G-5                       58.60%
19           DeMonte Cross, Missouri                 P-5                       58.40%
19           Chad Glasgow, TCU                       P-5                       58.40%
21           Phil Parker, Iowa                           P-5                        57.80%
22           John Chavis, Texas A&M                 P-5                       57.70%
22           Vance Bedford, Texas                    P-5                        57.70%
24           Tressel / Barnett, Mich State          P-5                        57.60%
25           Derek Mason, Vanderbilt                 P-5                        57.40%
26           Geoff Collins, Florida                      P-5                        57.20%
27           Mike Elko, Wake Forest                  P-5                        57.10%
27           Kevin Clune, Oregon State              P-5                        57.10%
29           Tony Gibson, West Virginia              P-5                        55.90%
30           Glenn Spencer, Oklahoma State       P-5                         55.80%

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-defensive-coordinators-that-get-teams-off-the-field-the-fastest/
Go Hogs Go!

hogcam

Demonte Cross is on there at 19 so it loses all validity. They must have not taken into account when the other team scored in 6 plays or less.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogcam on December 12, 2017, 07:42:06 pm
Demonte Cross is on there at 19 so it loses all validity. They must have not taken into account when the other team scored in 6 plays or less.

So does the top 10 or 15 cause it to lose validity as well?
Go Hogs Go!

hogcam

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 12, 2017, 07:44:20 pm
So does the top 10 or 15 cause it to lose validity as well?
Geeze it was a joke. Just found it crazy that he made the list, but it is probably because the other team usually scored in 6 plays or less.

Bacons Rebellion

Phil Bennett kind of stands out until I see that they gave up 48 points to Liberty, 59 points to Oklahoma State, 49 to Oklahoma, and 38 to Texas, West Virginia, and Texas Tech and 45 to TCU. I think he's your example of allowing a score in 6 plays or less.

JONAS

Dave Womack is on there.  He was the DC for Nutt.

The NewEra

Muskogee, I'm not sure you can learn anything from that list except for the first three teams.  Maybe if it were cross referenced against a few other metrics you could pick out a pretty decent coach.  The mix of conferences also throws a lot of questions out there as to the style of play they were defending more consistently, strength of conference, etc.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on December 12, 2017, 07:46:52 pm
Phil Bennett kind of stands out until I see that they gave up 48 points to Liberty, 59 points to Oklahoma State, 49 to Oklahoma, and 38 to Texas, West Virginia, and Texas Tech and 45 to TCU. I think he's your example of allowing a score in 6 plays or less.

You may be right, that Baylor defense in 2016 wasn't very good at all. Had to be a case of other teams scoring quickly. But in less than 6 plays? CBS kinda got this wrong.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The NewEra on December 12, 2017, 07:55:00 pm
Muskogee, I'm not sure you can learn anything from that list except for the first three teams.  Maybe if it were cross referenced against a few other metrics you could pick out a pretty decent coach.  The mix of conferences also throws a lot of questions out there as to the style of play they were defending more consistently, strength of conference, etc.

I think the top 10 are pretty solid, beyond that, the lines begin to blur a bit.
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 12, 2017, 07:58:25 pm
I think the top 10 are pretty solid, beyond that, the lines begin to blur a bit.

Is Bob Shoop at Tennessee that good?  I know a lot of their problems were offense.  Did he get canned with the new coaching switches?

Never mind.....I got off my lazy keester and checked Wikipedia.  I don't see it with him.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on December 12, 2017, 07:46:52 pm

Phil Bennett wasn't the DC at Baylor this season

huntindoc

#8 is a little unexpected.  What do we know about Phil Bennett?

The NewEra

Johnny Bobo

list doesn't include Kirby Smart or Dick Bumpass or Dan Quinn

list is drunk

list needs to call a taxi

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: The NewEra on December 12, 2017, 08:01:06 pm
Is Bob Shoop at Tennessee that good?  I know a lot of their problems were offense.  Did he get canned with the new coaching switches?

Never mind.....I got off my lazy keester and checked Wikipedia.  I don't see it with him.

Shoop wasn't good at UT. Mostly because of injuries year one and year 2 the defenses was seriously on the field 70% of the game the offense was so bad.

He was great at Vandy and Penn St

Johnny Bobo

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 12, 2017, 08:18:44 pm
Shoop wasn't good at UT. Mostly because of injuries year one and year 2 the defenses was seriously on the field 70% of the game the offense was so bad.

He was great at Vandy and Penn St

correct - he's a great DC

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 12, 2017, 08:03:37 pm
Phil Bennett wasn't the DC at Baylor this season

No but he was in 2015 which was the results from which this rating was published. Kinda confusing. It was for me as well. The rating was published in May of 2016 based on the 2015 season. In Bennett's case, that was the year that Baylor was 10-3 and allowed something like 396 yards per game in the pass-happy Big 12. They still gave up 28.3 pts p/game which I guess, was pretty good for the Big 12 that year.
Go Hogs Go!

JIHawg

Phil Bennett was DC at Az State this year.  They were 7 and 5.  He has left them.  He is talking to TAM, where he is from and went to college.  He lettered there in the 70's as a defensive end.  That would be an ideal fit for him if Jimbo wants him.

His second choice might be Arkansas if we are interested.  He also might have some health issues.

lakecityhog

1   Alabama   
2   UT San Antonio   
3   Michigan   
4   Wisconsin   
5   Washington   
6   Georgia   
7   Michigan State   
8   Clemson   
9   Mississippi State   
10   San Diego State   
11   Virginia Tech   
12   LSU      
13   Washington State   
14   South Florida   
15   Ohio State   
16   Florida   
17   Southern Mississippi   
18   Georgia Tech   
19   Northern Illinois   
20   Penn State   
21   Wyoming   
22   Duke   
23   Florida State   
24   Marshall   
25   Auburn   
26   Indiana   
   Troy   
28   Fresno State   
29   Minnesota   
30   Arkansas State   

There you go, top 30 total defense according to stats. Now, does your schedule play a part in your ranking? Does UT San Antonio actually have the 2nd best defense in the country? I kinda doubt it.

JIHawg

lakecityhog

Team Efficiencies

Team efficiencies are based on the point contributions of each unit to the team's scoring margin, on a per-play basis. The values are adjusted for strength of schedule and down-weighted for "garbage time" (based on win probability). The scale goes from 0 to 100; higher numbers are better and the average is roughly 50 for all categories.

This might be a better indicator for team defense considering opponent and schedule???

1   Clemson, ACC   
2   Georgia, SEC   
3   Wisconsin, Big Ten   
4   Alabama, SEC   
5   Auburn, SEC   
6   Texas, Big 12   
7   Washington St, Pac-12   
8   VT, ACC   
9   Michigan, Big Ten   
10   Miss St, SEC   
11   OSU, Big Ten   
12   Notre Dame, FBS Indep.   
13   Washington, Pac-12   
14   TCU, Big 12   
15   Penn State, Big Ten   
16   Miami, ACC   
17   Michigan State, Big Ten   
18   FSU, ACC   
19   Boston College, ACC   
20   N Illinois, MAC   
21   Iowa, Big Ten   
22   Duke, ACC   
23   Houston, American   
24   Purdue, Big Ten   
25   Iowa State, Big 12   
26   Northwestern, Big Ten   
27   Utah, Pac-12   
28   USC, Pac-12   
29   Indiana, Big Ten   
30   LSU, SEC

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 12, 2017, 08:48:26 pm
                                        Team Efficiencies

Team efficiencies are based on the point contributions of each unit to the team's scoring margin, on a per-play basis. The values are adjusted for strength of schedule and down-weighted for "garbage time" (based on win probability). The scale goes from 0 to 100; higher numbers are better and the average is roughly 50 for all categories.

This might be a better indicator for team defense considering opponent and schedule???

1   Clemson, ACC   
2   Georgia, SEC   
3   Wisconsin, Big Ten   
4   Alabama, SEC   
5   Auburn, SEC   
6   Texas, Big 12   
7   Washington St, Pac-12   
8   VT, ACC   
9   Michigan, Big Ten   
10   Miss St, SEC   
11   OSU, Big Ten   
12   Notre Dame, FBS Indep.   
13   Washington, Pac-12   
14   TCU, Big 12   
15   Penn State, Big Ten   
16   Miami, ACC   
17   Michigan State, Big Ten   
18   FSU, ACC   
19   Boston College, ACC   
20   N Illinois, MAC   
21   Iowa, Big Ten   
22   Duke, ACC   
23   Houston, American   
24   Purdue, Big Ten   
25   Iowa State, Big 12   
26   Northwestern, Big Ten   
27   Utah, Pac-12   
28   USC, Pac-12   
29   Indiana, Big Ten   
30   LSU, SEC

What I quoted was merely about one stat that CBS came up with, the frequency with which defensive teams exited the field in 6 plays or less. Probably a poorly formulated stat in the overall scheme of things.
Go Hogs Go!

lakecityhog

Texas A&M ranked 41 with a rating of 62.5, for reference Alabama rated at 87.9 and Clemson at 91.1.
Is there a coordinator from the top 30 available? Could we steal the guy from Houston?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings/_/sort/defEfficiency/tab/efficiency

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics

Dropkick

The NewEra

It wouldn't be consistent with his promise to get the best D Coordinator in the country but I would like to see Morris bring in a vibrant up and coming guy who is a great recruiter.  Maybe a long time assistant to one of the known best DC's in the country. Just a minute ago I saw
A tweet from Connor Noland raving about the youthful energy and relatable vibe with the new coaches.

JIHawg

JIHawg

swineology

Quote from: Dropkick on December 12, 2017, 08:53:51 pm
I think he at Texas now?

Correct

Legit DC pool is  crap unless Morris brings us Venables

Could be the first lie or misspeak by #hammerdown

TRUBZ

Swine-as-wine

why the hell would some of these DC's even be listed.......Jeremy Pruitt for example......who've already taken head coaching positions?

lakecityhog

Grinch makes $600k so we could give him a BIG bump, but do we really want him?

Smashmouth2004

I'm still saying Venables will be our DC. The longer that there's no announcement the better the odds.

ballinhog

The way these offensive minded coaches are coming up from high school and having the success they're having, I wonder who the best defensive minded high school coach is in Arkansas or Texas. If we can't get one of these big name coaches, I'm sure there's someone within these 2 states.

Pork Twain

If nothing else, this list illustrates why it is dangerous to just go with one source of data and the more data sources you can combine, the better prepared you are.

I pulled the NCAA stats for the end of the 2016 season and just added the CBS rank to the far left side.  You can see how in many cases the rank matches up but in others it is likely a figment of sucking so bad, they allow teams to score very quickly.  TD Rank is the Total Defense and all the stats to the right are directly from the NCAA stats page.  The res boxes signify a team that finished outside the top 25 in total defense.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

buldozer

Quote from: Smashmouth2004 on December 12, 2017, 09:54:49 pm
I'm still saying Venables will be our DC. The longer that there's no announcement the better the odds.
Maybe so, but this line of thinking with Gus didn't work out and with Venables his current salary also seems to be quite a hurdle.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on December 12, 2017, 09:16:41 pm
why the hell would some of these DC's even be listed.......Jeremy Pruitt for example......who've already taken head coaching positions?

Because again, this list was compiled in May of 2016 from their results at the schools they were located at during the 2015 season.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogwild

Quote from: huntindoc on December 12, 2017, 08:04:13 pm
#8 is a little unexpected.  What do we know about Phil Bennett?

1) His 1st wife was struck by lighting, and killed when she was jogging, really good SI story on it.

2) Won 18 games as the Head Coach @ SMU

3) Was the DC @LSU during the 90s, had the #1 defense in the SEC, when he didn't get the HC job after Hallman or DiNardo, he left.

4) Was at AZ State last season, likely head to A&M

lakecityhog

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mark_donofrio_1034935.html

Would this guy be a viable option?

In his first season at Houston, D'Onofrio's defense ranked 39th nationally and second in The American in scoring defense, despite facing four of the nation's top 16 scoring offenses. Houston also finished second in The American in rushing defense (149.5 yards per game) and red zone defense (76.2 percent).

09/09/17 atArizona Arizona Tucson, Ariz. W, 19-16
10/07/17 vs.SMU SMU * TDECU Stadium W, 35-22
10/19/17 vs.No. 25 Memphis No. 25 Memphis * TDECU Stadium L, 42-38
10/28/17 atNo. 17 USF No. 17 USF * Tampa, Fla. W, 28-24

His defense held some pretty good teams in check. Could he coordinate an SEC defense?
2011–2015  Miami (FL) (AHC/DC)  should have some recruiting connections in south Florida!!

2006–2007  Temple (DC)
2008–2009  Temple (AHC/DC)
2010  Temple (AHC/DC/LB)

The more I read about this guy the more I like him!!!

ChicoHog

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 13, 2017, 09:23:20 am
http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mark_donofrio_1034935.html

Would this guy be a viable option?

In his first season at Houston, D'Onofrio's defense ranked 39th nationally and second in The American in scoring defense, despite facing four of the nation's top 16 scoring offenses. Houston also finished second in The American in rushing defense (149.5 yards per game) and red zone defense (76.2 percent).

09/09/17 atArizona Arizona Tucson, Ariz. W, 19-16
10/07/17 vs.SMU SMU * TDECU Stadium W, 35-22
10/19/17 vs.No. 25 Memphis No. 25 Memphis * TDECU Stadium L, 42-38
10/28/17 atNo. 17 USF No. 17 USF * Tampa, Fla. W, 28-24

His defense held some pretty good teams in check. Could he coordinate an SEC defense?
2011–2015  Miami (FL) (AHC/DC)  should have some recruiting connections in south Florida!!

2006–2007  Temple (DC)
2008–2009  Temple (AHC/DC)
2010  Temple (AHC/DC/LB)

The more I read about this guy the more I like him!!!
Good call.  Maybe some Houston high school in roads?  I agree with previous poster about a young, energetic guy who is a recruiter.  Face it folks, defense is about recruiting studs.  We need a lot of them.  Go get a recruiter.  Maybe the guy from Houston is the answer.  Or a defensive assistant at a top flight program like Clemson, Bama, georgia who wants a promotion to DC.