Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sounds like it's Chavis?

Started by ricepig, December 11, 2017, 01:26:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IronHog

Quote from: HamGrowsOnTrees on December 11, 2017, 03:17:15 pm
Yes, Id love to see what a run heavy pro style offense did to Auburn. Not sure how that compares to a hurry up spread but hell this is getting fun.

Bobby's D could Lock down the HUNH pretty easy

Unless they had Cam Newton and lots of ref help
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 11, 2017, 03:19:26 pm
so, for all those saying no to Chavis, and assuming Venables is not coming, just who do you want as DC?

Someone that didn't peak in 2001

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Chavis is past his prime, he'll just be looking for retirement money.  If it is him, he will soon find out how hard it is to recruit good defense at AR.

Look how well Randy Shannon & Paul Rhodes worked out here... monster D Coordinators elsewhere, tough time getting big recruits to Arkansas.

It's easy to recruit to LSU, FL, TENN, MIAMI, AUBURN, TX & TXA&M.  Chavis has been at 3 of those schools.

Inhogswetrust

so, for all those saying no to Chavis, and assuming Venables is not coming, just who do you want as DC?

For some of them it doesn't matter. They want anyone except who Morris hires..............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: gguillo on December 11, 2017, 03:21:08 pm
Chavis is past his prime, he'll just be looking for retirement money.  If it is him, he will soon find out how hard it is to recruit good defense at AR.

Look how well Randy Shannon & Paul Rhodes worked out here... monster D Coordinators elsewhere, tough time getting big recruits to Arkansas.

It's easy to recruit to LSU, FL, TENN, MIAMI, AUBURN, TX & TXA&M.  Chavis has been at 3 of those schools.

Sounds like we don't even need to hire a DC, just get Kevin Kelley in as on-side kicking team coach and never play defense.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on December 11, 2017, 03:03:19 pm
In what universe were Rory Segrest, Kurt Anderson, Vernon Hargreaves, Joel Thomas, Jemal Singleton, John Scott or Chad Walker heralded and "ballywhoed?"
the hogville universe, where we could hire a janitor and he would be heralded as the best janitor in the country while simultaneously being the worst.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

jgphillips3

If we could have a top 15 offense and a top 35 defense, we'll win a lot of games and be in position when the stars align some year to win a title.  I think Morris/Chavis could do that.  I'll still hold out hopes for a "shock the world" hire but that's a combo that will win some games and raise the program back to respectability.

traffordhog

It is amazing to me that people know so much about a guy they most likely never spoken to, never picked his brain, but yet know every thing about him.  Chavez has a good name in College Football and would bring credibility to this staff wanting to have a strong Defense.

Atlhogfan1

I'm not saying no to him.  I just know what a completely different situation being DC at Arkansas would be for him. So the great hire part is just wishful thinking.  I'll hold out hope with you though if he is the choice. 

He was at Tennessee from 1989 as an asst then DC.  Then LSU and A&M.   Available defensive talent at Arkansas will be different.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

IronHog

Quote from: traffordhog on December 11, 2017, 03:23:30 pm
It is amazing to me that people know so much about a guy they most likely never spoken to, never picked his brain, but yet know every thing about him.  Chavez has a good name in College Football and would bring credibility to this staff wanting to have a strong Defense.

If Arkansas is going to have a good defense it's gonna hafta be leveraged on tweeners, speed, and disguised pressure.....with lots of attitude

Chavis plays 1995 blah defense with stale decaf

HF#1

The magic question. There was a "Name your DC" thread at one time. Not sure how far down it is though.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PorkSoda

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 03:25:34 pm
I'm not saying no to him.  I just know what a completely different situation being DC at Arkansas would be for him. So the great hire part is just wishful thinking.  I'll hold out hope with you though if he is the choice. 

He was at Tennessee from 1989 as an asst then DC.  Then LSU and A&M.   Available defensive talent at Arkansas will be different.
here is a thought.  maybe, just maybe he could bring talent TO arkansas....

only in arkansas is a coach with good talent considered a negative.  should we only have coaches that have never had talented players?
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HogHomer

If his resume doesn't make him a "great" hire then no one is a great hire. Everyone would have "wishful thinking" with any first year coach following that logic.

HF#1

Quote from: IronHog on December 11, 2017, 03:19:48 pm

Bobby's D could Lock down the HUNH pretty easy

Unless they had Cam Newton and lots of ref help

In almost every game involving a HUNH offense that we won, I remember Petrino stating he suggested some adjustments and those adjustments are what gave us the results. So Petrino for DC?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 11, 2017, 03:28:22 pm

Nobody can do that remember? You cannot recruit to Arkansas.

hobhog

Hilarious. Hogville can make anything positive turn into 5 pages of "yeah but".

Very solid hire if true.

IronHog

Quote from: HF#1 on December 11, 2017, 03:29:08 pm
In almost every game involving a HUNH offense that we won, I remember Petrino stating he suggested some adjustments and those adjustments are what gave us the results. So Petrino for DC?

He was DC too.....when he got around to it.

Porknoxville

Chavis knows to talent and at Tennessee was notorious for loading up on speed! He would take a safety with size and speed and convert to a olb. Would take an oversized olb sand switch them to wsde and was to see So on and so on.
I've seen the best and worst of his defenses but his experience well be worth alot. Guys, we need to let CCM get this program to the point that it is attractive to OCs& DCs in the future as assistants come and go!
Go hogs!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronHog on December 11, 2017, 03:27:40 pm

If Arkansas is going to have a good defense it's gonna hafta be leveraged on tweeners, speed, and disguised pressure.....with lots of attitude

Chavis plays 1995 blah defense with stale decaf

Speaking of blah and stale......................your posts are blah and stale..............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

IronHog

only in arkansas is a coach with good talent considered a negative.  should we only have coaches that have never had talented players?

Can the current fullbacks play linebacker?

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: traffordhog on December 11, 2017, 03:23:30 pm

If he's as good with a defense as he is with a knife we are all set.

HF#1

Quote from: IronHog on December 11, 2017, 03:30:06 pm

He was DC too.....when he got around to it.

Right so those references don't really apply here. Chavis' blah style has kept him in the league for 20+ years. Nobody is saying he will field the same defense here that he has at other places. But to say it would be a bad hire is ignorant.

Atlhogfan1

We can dream. 

Not seeing him as a negative.  Overrated perhaps especially when projecting him somewhere like Arkansas.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HF#1

Quote from: IronHog on December 11, 2017, 03:31:16 pm

Can the current fullbacks play linebacker?

One could. Not sure about the other though.

GlassofSwine

This is true of every coach that comes here. Venables wouldn't pull the same talent to Arkansas as he does Clemson either, I'd rather have Chavis than an up and comer. You can't get much worse than our defense the past two years and the problems are not talent. We have way better talent than our 103rd defense rating suggests. I'm betting Chavis would have that at least down n the 50's in the first year with the same players.

IronHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 11, 2017, 03:30:22 pm
Speaking of blah and stale......................your posts are blah and stale..............

aTm was soft serve D before Chavis got there and was soft serve while he was there......that's with NFL pass rushers on both sides.

HF#1

Quote from: IronHog on December 11, 2017, 03:33:08 pm

that's with NFL pass rushers on both sides.

Who took plays off... That entire team was lazy.

Wildhog

Quote from: GlassofSwine on December 11, 2017, 03:32:54 pm
This is true of every coach that comes here. Venables wouldn't pull the same talent to Arkansas as he does Clemson either, I'd rather have Chavis than an up and comer. You can't get much worse than our defense the past two years and the problems are not talent. We have way better talent than our 103rd defense rating suggests. I'm betting Chavis would have that at least down n the 50's in the first year with the same players.

I'd just rather have someone that's proven the ability to field a great defense with talent inferior to his competition. 

Surround Chavis with stud recruiters and he'll be wonderful.  Don't, and we really just don't know what he'll be.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

IronHog

Quote from: HF#1 on December 11, 2017, 03:32:14 pm
Right so those references don't really apply here. Chavis' blah style has kept him in the league for 20+ years. Nobody is saying he will field the same defense here that he has at other places. But to say it would be a bad hire is ignorant.

A really talented play caller can expose Chavis big time if his front 4 doesn't completely control the LOS

not the guy for Arkansas

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HogHomer on December 11, 2017, 03:29:04 pm
If his resume doesn't make him a "great" hire then no one is a great hire. Everyone would have "wishful thinking" with any first year coach following that logic.

A resume built at elite recruiting programs with traditional power offenses when he was there.  Not close to the same situation as it would be here.  It is part of the discussion.  He may would do fine. 

HF#1

Quote from: IronHog on December 11, 2017, 03:35:18 pm

A really talented play caller can expose Chavis big time if his front 4 doesn't completely control the LOS

not the guy for Arkansas

So you are a "should have kept Paul Rhodes guy."?

IronHog

Quote from: HF#1 on December 11, 2017, 03:33:59 pm
Who took plays off... That entire team was lazy.

Common theme with any team that recruits Texas HS players

hogsanity

Quote from: gguillo on December 11, 2017, 03:21:08 pm

Might start to think it is the school and not the DC's.....................

But wait, Hogville told me the recruiting thing is just a crutch.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HF#1

Quote from: IronHog on December 11, 2017, 03:36:01 pm

A common theme with Kevin Sumlin. Not sure about other Texas teams. I don't follow them that closely.

IronHog

Quote from: HF#1 on December 11, 2017, 03:35:59 pm
So you are a "should have kept Paul Rhodes guy."?

Nah

I'd find a young guy that yells a lot

HF#1

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 11, 2017, 03:36:31 pm
Might start to think it is the school and not the DC's.....................

But wait, Hogville told me the recruiting thing is just a crutch.

You can put players like Greenlaw in an outside the box scheme where they can thrive or you can bulk them up to try to be something they ain't

PorkSoda

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 11, 2017, 03:32:21 pm
We can dream. 

Not seeing him as a negative.  Overrated perhaps especially when projecting him somewhere like Arkansas.   
look, considering the success rate of our previous DC's getting someone who has actually had success in the SEC can only be a big plus.

at the very least we will know if it can be done at arkansas.

FiveIronFrenzy

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 11, 2017, 02:39:40 pm
Or he no longer has a ball-control offense keeping his defense off the field.

Yes, that's what I meant by offense didn't mesh with this style.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on December 11, 2017, 03:32:54 pm

Absolutely. It is what the D.C. Job at Arkansas is.   As inexperienced as the offensive staff will be probably will need a little on the defensive side. 

Our problem has been talent since 1990 with few exceptions and it has gotten worse as offenses evolved.  Maybe he would.  Get some guys back healthy and with more experience for others. We cycle through a competent D every so often. We are due. 

HF#1

Quote from: IronHog on December 11, 2017, 03:39:01 pm

You can put players like Greenlaw in an outside the box scheme where they can thrive or you can bulk them up to try to be something they ain't

Isn't that what Bielema and Rhodes tried to do?

HF#1

This thread is basically saying Chavis isn't good enough and defense isn't possible at Arkansas.

qbrew

Quote from: IronHog on December 11, 2017, 03:20:29 pm

Someone that didn't peak in 2001

Is that the last year you watched football?

Next1_04

Quote from: IronHog on December 11, 2017, 03:33:08 pm

aTm was soft serve D before Chavis got there and was soft serve while he was there......that's with NFL pass rushers on both sides.

And still...was able to beat us with it. So, getting the D coordinator who we are 0-5 against the last 5 years cant be TOO bad. Right?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: IronHog on December 11, 2017, 03:36:01 pm

Yep and we are going to focus recruiting there.  Scary thought with what our D has been.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: OtterHog™ on December 11, 2017, 01:34:24 pm
Never thought I'd see the day Arkansas fans would be upset about John Chavis as DC. Have you seen our last half dozen DC's?? This fanbase really is insane.

Hahahahaha!!! Amen...

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HF#1 on December 11, 2017, 03:40:28 pm
This thread is basically saying Chavis isn't good enough and defense isn't possible at Arkansas.

Don't overreact.   

IronHog

Quote from: Next1_04 on December 11, 2017, 03:41:17 pm
And still...was able to beat us with it. So, getting the D coordinator who we are 0-5 against the last 5 years cant be TOO bad. Right?

Not sure that's a ringing endorsement

HF#1

IronHog

Quote from: qbrew on December 11, 2017, 03:40:43 pm
Is that the last year you watched football?

Watched the Big12 championship game once since then