Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We have our own "Catfish Hole" here in SW Ark

Started by labb, December 11, 2017, 10:43:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HoopS

I decided to walk away a few days. Figured cooler heads would prevail. No sir.

I came back to see several olive branches snapped and used to fry campfire catfish - which is stellar. I digress...

A simple "I was wrong, so wrong, you impeccable prince of a man" was all Skandar asked (deserved).

Somebody is getting a bag-o-coal for Christmas. That's probably what he wants for his next catfish/olive branch cookout anyhow...

Smh

BorderPatrol

Quote from: goodguytex on December 20, 2017, 09:31:24 am
I don't remember seeking your input, since you have an axe to grind anyway. So...

See, defensive and pissy.

Keep it up GGT.

bp

PonderinHog

Typical Texan - all hat and no catfish!  Right ???

Rudy Baylor

once again, for those who aren't afraid of the facts, all catfish served in southwest AND southeast Arkansas, is farmed and shipped out of Vietnam

Mostly in southeast Arkansas anyway.

SouthWEST Arkansas catfish is 100% Vietnam farmed.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on December 20, 2017, 12:00:42 pm
once again, for those who aren't afraid of the facts, all catfish served in southwest AND southeast Arkansas, is farmed and shipped out of Vietnam

Haha!!!!

bp

goodguytex

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on December 20, 2017, 12:00:42 pm

Cool story Bro! Did you personally ask every catfish you saw in SW Arkansas where it came from?? "Catfish whisperer"??? I like it!!

goodguytex

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on December 20, 2017, 12:54:02 pm

IT'S TRUE!
Where do you get this stuff??

I have an uncle who has made a pretty good amount of money as a commercial fisherman catching and selling catfish, hundreds of pounds at a time, that he caught and filleted from Millwood lake in SW Arkansas. And they sure didn't come from Vietnam.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: goodguytex on December 20, 2017, 12:55:44 pm

I have an uncle who has made a pretty good amount of money as a commercial fisherman catching and selling catfish, hundreds of pounds at a time, that he caught and filleted from Millwood lake in SW Arkansas.
And they sure didn't come from Vietnam.

not true!

complete fabrication!

goodguytex

HoopS

Aha.

Millwood flavored Catfish. There's the secret.

The OTR

Lots of hard feelings here.  Good guy wants to throw me in boiling hot oil.  I have probably been told worse on this board. 

I guess I just don't care enough about catfish to get this huffy about it.  Several of you are trying to broker peace, most notably border patrol, hoops, and ballhog1.  Good work, men. 

I guess it's going to take a holiday miracle to bring us all together. 

majestic

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 20, 2017, 05:38:32 pm
Lots of hard feelings here.  Good guy wants to throw me in boiling hot oil.  I have probably been told worse on this board. 

I guess I just don't care enough about catfish to get this huffy about it.  Several of you are trying to broker peace, most notably border patrol, hoops, and ballhog1.  Good work, men. 

This could all have been avoided if you all would eat something good. Like broccoli, chicken, tofu, cauliflower, etc.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

PonderinHog

I, for one, accept your apology.  Your ignorance of where to find good catfish is no reason to hold a grudge during the holidays.  Merry Christmas!

Earl

The best catfish I have ever had, and it's not close, is Berry's in Jackson Mississippi.

panhandlepig

Quote from: Earl on December 20, 2017, 06:37:54 pm
The best catfish I have ever had, and it's not close, is Berry's in Jackson Mississippi.

Off the menu whole or buffet?

HogimusMaximus

BEst Catfish ever is E's Hideaway in Stigler, OK.  If you are close try a bunch of items on the menu, he is a helluva cook.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: goodguytex on December 20, 2017, 12:55:44 pm

I have an uncle who has made a pretty good amount of money as a commercial fisherman catching and selling catfish, hundreds of pounds at a time, that he caught and filleted from Millwood lake in SW Arkansas. And they sure didn't come from Vietnam.

You would be shocked how many restaurants serve Swai or Basa or Tra (Asian Catfish/shark catfish) instead of actual American catfish. And, that Swai, Basa, or Tra is likely from Vietnam.  Two main reasons for this are price and to appease customers that would otherwise have trouble getting past catfish being a bottom feeder. Similarly, Chilean sea bass on a menu is actually a Patagonian toothfish. Who really wants to order toothfish? I'd bet a good chunk of the catfish you think you've eaten is really Swai. Hate to break it to you.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Boardon Hamsay

There's always one poster that just wants to beat the dead horse in the thread while the rest of us try to maintain a good holiday spirit. Pretty sure we all know a good guy for beating a dead horse.

Anyways, I am looking forward to this year's reward season. This is the time of year we all come together around Skandar's many rewards of the year, for a little poster alienation, depending on the reward. It's always a who's who of nomernees....except the modulator of the year reward....that one is where we alienate out the worst of a pretty shallow pool while still embracing the holiday spirit for most everybody else.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Captain Morgan

Quote from: AP85 on December 11, 2017, 12:37:51 pm
Catfish hole= Yankee Catfish.

No thanks.

Got to say this post helped me get a good laugh tonight

goodguytex

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on December 20, 2017, 07:44:08 pm
You would be shocked how many restaurants serve Swai or Basa or Tra (Asian Catfish/shark catfish) instead of actual American catfish. And, that Swai, Basa, or Tra is likely from Vietnam.  Two main reasons for this are price and to appease customers that would otherwise have trouble getting past catfish being a bottom feeder. Similarly, Chilean sea bass on a menu is actually a Patagonian toothfish. Who really wants to order toothfish? I'd bet a good chunk of the catfish you think you've eaten is really Swai. Hate to break it to you.
That's why I always ask the restaurant I eat fish at where they get their fish from. Fish Bowl is American raised.

Others in the area I live same way. With social media being what it is today, they know if they tell you they serve american raised, and it gets found out they are lying, their reputation will be trashed.

Johnny Bobo

Northwest Arkansas Community College just received a federal grant to do a study on whether or not "SW Arkansas catfish" is actually Patagonian toothfish 100% of the time, or only 85% of the time.

The results should be available soon.

I'm betting it's 100% of the time. But that's just me.

The OTR

Quote from: goodguytex on December 20, 2017, 08:09:48 pm
That's why I always ask the restaurant I eat fish at where they get their fish from. Fish Bowl is American raised.

Others in the area I live same way. With social media being what it is today, they know if they tell you they serve american raised, and it gets found out they are lying, their reputation will be trashed.

You said the fish bowl got their fish from the red river at one point, didn't you? Now it's just good enough if it's American?

You've been nominated for sourpuss of the year and you are currently leading that poll. 

Do you eat catfish filets or catfish steaks?

goodguytex

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 20, 2017, 09:19:58 pm
You said the fish bowl got their fish from the red river at one point, didn't you? Now it's just good enough if it's American?

You've been nominated for sourpuss of the year and you are currently leading that poll. 

Do you eat catfish filets or catfish steaks?
I didn't say they get their catfish from the red River, someone else mentioned catfish from this area coming from the red River. But last I checked, the red River is in the US. And I eat fillets and whole every now and then.

A good portion of the catfish that's sold here in supermarkets and grocery stores in farm raised catfish from the Mississippi Delta, and some from Arkansas too. I'll find out where next time I see some. But the restaurants here, many of them, that served American catfish, try to get it from local sources, and fresh.

Torqued pork

Want catfish the way it was intended to be eaten? Get your butts off of the interweb long enough to stretch a trotline baited with stinkbait across a river with channel cats. That's how you do it.

jvanhorn

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on December 14, 2017, 05:06:23 pm
Does sucks and is overpriced.

They are a little overpriced, but their hot tamales are fine.  Easy to find good hot tamales in Mississippi---not so easy in Arkansas.

jvanhorn

hogfanny

Quote from: labb on December 11, 2017, 02:51:49 pm
Next time you are at the Fish Bowl try the Alligator...Bet you can't get that at the Catfish Hole. I have tried catfish at both places and don't care for either one but then I don't like catfish very much. Bottom feeder. Now Crappie or Bream I do like. Can't believe this turned into a Catfish restaurant argument.
How bout Walleye? My father-in-law kept us stocked on that one and to me it is = to crappie or better. Not knockin catfish just sayin.....

The OTR

Quote from: hogfanny on December 21, 2017, 07:05:32 am
How bout Walleye? My father-in-law kept us stocked on that one and to me it is = to crappie or better. Not knockin catfish just sayin.....

Walleye. Let's go down to the Walleye Hole, Lamar. They got all you can eat walleye filets tonight.

I've got a walleye or two but not many.  I can catch catfish about anytime I wet a hook.  If I had to depend on walleye for my fish fries we've be making a lot more hush puppies and fries and cold slaw.

BallHog1

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 21, 2017, 01:27:38 pm
Walleye. Let's go down to the Walleye Hole, Lamar. They got all you can eat walleye filets tonight.

I've got a walleye or two but not many.  I can catch catfish about anytime I wet a hook.  If I had to depend on walleye for my fish fries we've be making a lot more hush puppies and fries and cold slaw.
Having personally witnessed you fishing I take exception with this claim. You couldn't catch a mess of crabs in a Juarez brothel much less catch any fish...

The OTR

Quote from: BallHog1 on December 21, 2017, 02:46:11 pm
Having personally witnessed you fishing I take exception with this claim. You couldn't catch a mess of crabs in a Juarez brothel much less catch any fish...

I'm admittedly a perch jerker. I just don't have any patience for fishing anymore.

Speaking of running trot lines, as someone mentioned here, I do remember running trot lines with you and your dumba$$ brother in that little flatbottom boat and having an eel on the line and him cutting it off and the eel falling into the boat with us and us scrambling to get it out with a paddle. Good times there. 

I also remember running just about any and every jug I ever saw whether it was mine or not. 

HAM ELLIOT

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 19, 2017, 10:20:46 pm
I've probably seen bigger sourpusses on here in my time but I can't remember when. 

If I had to list out your strengths here would be my list:

1.  Takes all things related to catfish and catfish restaurants deadly serious.  Don't cross him about catfish.  Don't try to fool him about restaurants you haven't been to.

Unfortunately your lists of strengths isn't very long.  That's all I got.  If anyone else wants to add to this list be my guest.

Can we take some strengths away if we see fit?

Johnny Bobo

Christmas is not the day to let this thread die on the vine

Christmas Day is a great day for goodguytex to apologize for denying that all SW Arkansas catfish comes from Vietnam

HoopS

For every 100 Christmas spirited posters, there's always one grinch and one bah humbug.

Goodguy, you're at the fork in the road. And knowing him, he will hop out of his S10 and grab the fork. And eat some Vietnamese catfish with it.

We are all waiting.

BallHog1

Quote from: HoopS on December 25, 2017, 11:19:12 am
For every 100 Christmas spirited posters, there's always one grinch and one bah humbug.

Goodguy, you're at the fork in the road. And knowing him, he will hop out of his S10 and grab the fork. And eat some Vietnamese catfish with it.

We are all waiting.
I'm disgusted that a guy who calls himself Good Guy Tex, as American a name as there ever was, is willing to stab the American Catfish Industry in the back while he gorges himself on Asian trash fish....Disgusted. Ball is in his court, an apology to Skandar and the rest of the red blooded American catfish reps fixes this. Anything short of that paints him as a commie.

The OTR

Quote from: BallHog1 on December 27, 2017, 07:18:04 am
I'm disgusted that a guy who calls himself Good Guy Tex, as American a name as there ever was, is willing to stab the American Catfish Industry in the back while he gorges himself on Asian trash fish....Disgusted. Ball is in his court, an apology to Skandar and the rest of the red blooded American catfish reps fixes this. Anything short of that paints him as a commie.

For once I agree with you.  For once.