Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What the hell...

Started by Wildhog, January 12, 2013, 11:43:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

...is up with all the LOUD, OBNOXIOUS ADS??? 

JESUS CHRIST. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

BatesvilleHOG

Wildhog

FLO FROM PROGRESSIVE IS YELLING AT ME
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

I'M HAPPY WITH MY AUTO INSURANCE
1909/1964/1965/1977

BatesvilleHOG

RAGHHHGGHGHHH. I HATE COMMERCIALS.

HogInFlorida

PHONE CALL PAPA BEAR.. HUT HUT
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Torqued pork

Well NASCAR is approaching. No in-your-face advertising with that.

ZERO

Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

DEVIL DOG HOG

I thought that the FCC put a stop to increasing the volume when commercials come on.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Doug

Wild, are you talking about on TV or on Hogville? If on Hogville, get a screen grab of the ad itself and let me know what section of the site it's on and get it over to Lanny or myself via email (or post it in the help forum) and we'll get it off of Hogville.

As far as the TV ads, yeah, the FCC put in requirements that Ads must maintain the same average volume of the TV shows it's presented for.  It's called the CALM Act (Link to story). Signed by Obama (keep Politics out of this thread, people) in 2010, it took effect December 2012.

It originally was scheduled to become effective in December, 2011, however, there were some issues preventing that.

QuoteThe original CALM act signed last December (2010) gave the FCC the power to grant a one-year exemption to those stations that show they would incur "financial hardship" if forced to comply with these standards. After that time, they can apply to renew that exemption for another year.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: Douglas on January 13, 2013, 06:36:16 am
Wild, are you talking about on TV or on Hogville? If on Hogville, get a screen grab of the ad itself and let me know what section of the site it's on and get it over to Lanny or myself via email (or post it in the help forum) and we'll get it off of Hogville.

As far as the TV ads, yeah, the FCC put in requirements that Ads must maintain the same average volume of the TV shows it's presented for.  It's called the CALM Act (Link to story). Signed by Obama (keep Politics out of this thread, people) in 2010, it took effect December 2012.

It originally was scheduled to become effective in December, 2011, however, there were some issues preventing that.

i was browsing the site yesterday and a random ad came floating across the screen into the middle of the page asking me to take a survey.

Doug

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

KCRazorbackfan

That DAMN National Car Rental Ad at the bottom of "Recruiting Forum"!! >:(
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 12, 2013, 11:48:04 pm
FLO FROM PROGRESSIVE IS YELLING AT ME

I don't know...I kinda like the one with her standing in the rain telling the guy she couldn't stay away from him.  Use your imagination on that one.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Wildhog

I was talking about hogville.  I'll get a screen cap next time it does.  Thanks.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Anon2

The ads on tv don't bother me as much as the loud music when a program gets to a dramatic part of the show, like NCIS or L&O SVU.  Cannot understand anything being said.  I suppose the Musician's unions have control of that now.

LZH

Quote from: Anon2 on January 13, 2013, 04:48:13 pm
The ads on tv don't bother me as much as the loud music when a program gets to a dramatic part of the show, like NCIS or L&O SVU.  Cannot understand anything being said.  I suppose the Musician's unions have control of that now.

As a studio musician I can assure you that running all the audio thru a compressor/limiter is standard procedure in mixdown, just as it is in the movies.  Therefore, it would be very easy to tone down the 'mood music' in relation to the dialog by putting an aural ceiling on it without affecting anything else.  So, apparently, it is done on purpose.  I don't like it either.

Hogvillage Idiot

This post brought you by the letter A.  Without the letter A this would be just another post.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

Anon2

Quote from: LedZepHog on January 13, 2013, 04:55:00 pm
As a studio musician I can assure you that running all the audio thru a compressor/limiter is standard procedure in mixdown, just as it is in the movies.  Therefore, it would be very easy to tone down the 'mood music' in relation to the dialog by putting an aural ceiling on it without affecting anything else.  So, apparently, it is done on purpose.  I don't like it either.

Thanks for that explanation Led.  Being my age, I have trouble understanding what women say on tv shows anyway.  No problem understanding them on the news.  Don't know why.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 13, 2013, 08:57:39 am
I don't know...I kinda like the one with her standing in the rain telling the guy she couldn't stay away from him.  Use your imagination on that one.

Me too.  They need to the apron and bra.  Flo is hot.  LOL
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

LZH

Quote from: Anon2 on January 13, 2013, 05:06:50 pm
  Being my age, I have trouble understanding what women say on tv shows anyway.

I have trouble understanding what women say in real life.

cardinalandwhite

The normal-volume commercials are the ones that should be claiming lost profits.  As soon as a commercial airs that's overly loud, I mute the TV until the show comes back on.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

iluvmyslute89

So you are saying you will master all of my songs for free. how kind of you LedZep

Chestodrawers

My wife and I have been noticing that a lot this tv season. We can't understand a lot of whats being said on some shows.  Maybe they're doing that to cover how bad some of the damn shows are.

LZH

Quote from: The Pig of destiny on January 13, 2013, 06:46:29 pm
So you are saying you will master all of my songs for free. how kind of you LedZep

Ha!  I seem to be doing alot for free these days.   :)

But I know how you feel, I rarely master my own either.

bpoecell

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on January 13, 2013, 03:17:53 am
I thought that the FCC put a stop to increasing the volume when commercials come on.

They're not jacking the volume up. They're just at the top of what the FCC allows, and when they follow a quiet show the contrast is jarring. It's annoying, but still legal.

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: LedZepHog on January 13, 2013, 06:58:17 pm
Ha!  I seem to be doing alot for free these days.   :)

But I know how you feel, I rarely master my own either.
Well, i would master them, but i'm no sound engineer, just a self taught bassist who puts songs on sound cloud. I wouldn't know mastering if it slapped me in the face.

LZH

Quote from: The Pig of destiny on January 13, 2013, 07:01:26 pm
Well, i would master them, but i'm no sound engineer, just a self taught bassist who puts songs on sound cloud. I wouldn't know mastering if it slapped me in the face.

It's a chore.  Time-consuming.  If you want Red Book spec'd mixes, it's better to pay an engineer to do it and you just sit there and tell him what you want.  A really good engineer usually has the best equipment and can do it in half the time.  I know some guys if you're interested.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: Wildhog on January 12, 2013, 11:43:06 pm
...is up with all the LOUD, OBNOXIOUS ADS??? 

JESUS CHRIST. 
While I may not know just who is responsible, I can tell you will 100% certainty that Jesus Christ is not.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: LedZepHog on January 13, 2013, 07:09:09 pm
It's a chore.  Time-consuming.  If you want Red Book spec'd mixes, it's better to pay an engineer to do it and you just sit there and tell him what you want.  A really good engineer usually has the best equipment and can do it in half the time.  I know some guys if you're interested.
yep, i'll keep it in mind. When i have the spare change lying around i will get at you for some contact info. I heard it could cost me upwards of 1500 for an ep

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Wayne Watson on January 13, 2013, 05:08:36 pm
Me too.  They need to the apron and bra.  Flo is hot.  LOL

Yep Wayne she needs you to Inspect them for her.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LZH

Quote from: The Pig of destiny on January 13, 2013, 07:14:35 pm
yep, i'll keep it in mind. When i have the spare change lying around i will get at you for some contact info. I heard it could cost me upwards of 1500 for an ep

Probably about right.  That should include disks and artwork.  Lemme know if I can help.

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: LedZepHog on January 13, 2013, 07:19:59 pm
Probably about right.  That should include disks and artwork.  Lemme know if I can help.
I can do all the art work on my own. I'm pretty artsy fartsy like that. Thanks for the help though man, and will do! +1

cincokids

Wut?   ???

Rzbakfromwaybak

I fixed this years ago.......I mute all commercials. 90% of them always came on blasting much louder than whatever I was watching.  Made me mad when I was "watching" a movie, & the commerical woke me up......
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Chestodrawers on January 13, 2013, 06:57:26 pm
  My wife and I have been noticing that a lot this tv season. We can't understand a lot of whats being said on some shows.  Maybe they're doing that to cover how bad some of the damn shows are.

You two using newer flat panel TVs? Voices are horrible on the a lot of the newer models. Probably one of the reason most of them have the option of being bundled with a sound-bar for a slight upcharge.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Milton

if I see more more at&t commercials with the guy and those dang kids I'll lose it
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

Anon2

Quote from: Smokehouse on January 14, 2013, 01:21:12 am
You two using newer flat panel TVs? Voices are horrible on the a lot of the newer models. Probably one of the reason most of them have the option of being bundled with a sound-bar for a slight upcharge.

No flat panel in the den.  The old 32" inch that weighs about 200 pounds with a VCR.  Mentioned that to the coffee drinking bunch and one asked, what's a VCR?  Do have a flat panel in the front bedroom where the wife watches TV.  She has four VCR's working at night and then reviews the next day.

Wildhog

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on January 13, 2013, 07:10:20 pm
While I may not know just who is responsible, I can tell you will 100% certainty that Jesus Christ is not.

But he died for our sins so we could watch and listen to commercials.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Jackrabbit Hog

If Flo and Allstate Mayhem ever procreated, imagine how great their kids would be.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 14, 2013, 10:24:01 am
If Flo and Allstate Mayhem ever procreated, imagine how great their kids would be.
well technically they are the same company now

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: The Pig of destiny on January 14, 2013, 10:43:48 am
well technically they are the same company now

So it would be incest, then.  And their kids would have three eyes and an ear growing out of their forehead.

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 14, 2013, 10:55:35 am
So it would be incest, then.  And their kids would have three eyes and an ear growing out of their forehead.
Better keep them away from Verge then. He would find a way to dilute their genepool even further

Wildhog

Honda Civic commercial.  Just now. 

1909/1964/1965/1977

josh_sec33

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 14, 2013, 10:24:01 am

that would be an epic commercial.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Anon2 on January 13, 2013, 05:06:50 pm
Thanks for that explanation Led.  Being my age, I have trouble understanding what women say on tv shows anyway.  No problem understanding them on the news.  Don't know why.

I don't understand women anywhere and I know exactly why......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HighClassJunkie