Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 MLB Draft Thread

Started by ucahogfan, May 24, 2017, 09:20:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

With the draft less than a month away, I figured it would be time to start this thread especially with people releasing their top prospect lists.  Baseball America updated their top 200 today as we get closer to the BA 500 for this year and quite a few Hog connections made the list.  They are:

Bryce Bonnin - 72 - He is a signee out of Barbers Hill, Texas who has hit 96 this year with his fastball with a wipeout slider.  His size at 6-1 could detract some from his interest, but he could be a go to pitcher for us should he step on campus.

Blaine Knight - 88 - Will be interesting to see if scouts think he is a starter long-term or a potential set up / closer.

Daniel Tillo - 95 - He is a signee out of Iowa Western JUCO (same as Jared Gates) who has hit 97 with his fastball and has flashed a plus slider at times.  He is the ideal size scouts look for at 6-5 and spent his freshman year at Kentucky.  Could be one of our weekend guys next year.

Cole Turney - 126 - Big time hitting prospect out of Texas who could step in as a starting corner OF next year and could hit in the middle of the order much like Fletcher did this year.

Jackson Rutledge - 176 - 6-8 RHP out of St. Louis and has hit at least 94 this year.  Could be a go to reliever or our midweek starter next year or even a weekend guy.

One name not in the list is Trevor Stephan which is extremely surprising to me as he is the ideal size at 6-5, throws 97 with some life, and generates plenty of swings and misses while filling up the zone.  Also factor in he has very little mileage on his arm as he has only been pitching for 3 years.  The ceiling here for him is very high.

See the full list at the link below:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft-preview/

onebadrubi

I sure wish we could get Stephan back, but not having him on that list is mind boggling to me.

PigStyHigh365

Thanks, UCA.  I have such a love/hate relationship with this yearly thread. Kind of shocked to not see Stephan on the list, but I would be more than happy to see him back next year.

ucahogfan

BA Top 500
Bryce Bonnin - 74 - RHP who has hit 96 with plus slider. Could be two way player for us.
Blaine Knight - 88
Daniel Tillo - 94 - LHP who can hit 97 with plus slider. Struggled with dead arm in JUCO.
Cole Turney - 129 - OF with big time power from LH side.
Chad Spanberger - 164
Trevor Stephan - 178
Jackson Rutledge - 184 - 6'8" RHP who has hit 94
Casey Opitz - 306 - C who might be our most important recruit to provide some backup to Koch next year
Canaan Smith - 367 - C with elite plate discipline and big time power from LH side
Luke Bonfield - 477
Hunter Milligan - 500 - Polished LHP

colbs

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 05, 2017, 09:55:20 pm
BA Top 500
Bryce Bonnin - 74 - RHP who has hit 96 with plus slider. Could be two way player for us.
Blaine Knight - 88
Daniel Tillo - 94 - LHP who can hit 97 with plus slider. Struggled with dead arm in JUCO.
Cole Turney - 129 - OF with big time power from LH side.
Chad Spanberger - 164
Trevor Stephan - 178
Jackson Rutledge - 184 - 6'8" RHP who has hit 94
Casey Opitz - 306 - C who might be our most important recruit to provide some backup to Koch next year
Canaan Smith - 367 - C with elite plate discipline and big time power from LH side
Luke Bonfield - 477
Hunter Milligan - 500 - Polished LHP
What's your best guess on which players make it to campus?

ucahogfan

Quote from: colbs on June 05, 2017, 11:00:30 pm
What's your best guess on which players make it to campus?
Probably get all signees Turney and below.  Tough call on Bonnin and Tillo.  Listening to DVH today, sounds like that the guys they thought would sign when they committed are set on coming to school.

bulldog04

He said Rutledge is a very good student and wants to go to college

ucahogfan

MLB.com Top 200 Prospects
58 - Blaine Knight
Fastball - 60
Slider - 55
Changeup - 50
Curveball - 50
Control - 55
Overall - 50

Concern they raised was his skinny build at 6-3, 165 which raises a question about him being a starter.  The overall package is similar to Kyle Wright (he has 55s on all three off speed pitches, but 50 for control) and Wright won't last longer than the first 5 picks Monday.  His ceiling if he returns is top 5 pick.

74 - Bryce Bonnin
Fastball - 60
Slider - 60
Changeup - 45
Control - 50
Overall - 45

Concern they raise if he is a starter or reliever.

81 - Daniel Tillo
Fastball - 60
Slider - 55
Changeup - 50
Control - 50
Overall - 45

They say he is an inexperienced pitcher for his age.  Worked out well for the next guy on the next Hog connection on the list and could be a 1st round pick if he makes it to campus.  Just imagine a weekend rotation of Knight, Tillo, and Campbell.

87 - Trevor Stephan
Fastball - 60
Slider - 50
Changeup - 45
Control - 55
Overall - 45

Question they raised for Stephan is whether or not he can develop secondary pitches to be a starter in the bigs.

111 - Jackson Rutledge
Fastball - 60
Slider - 50
Changeup - 50
Control - 50
Overall - 45

Question they raise for Rutledge is if he will consistently throw strikes as a 6-8 RHP.

182 - Cole Turney
Hit - 40
Power - 55
Run - 45
Arm - 60
Field - 50
Overall - 45

Question they raise about Turney is his swing and miss as he tries to hit for too much power instead of letting it come to him naturally.

You can see the whole list here:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=draft

ucahogfan

Draft starts tomorrow at 6 PM CST and will be shown on MLB Network tomorrow night with Rihnds 1-2.  Rounds 3-10 will be Tuesday and Rounds 11-40 will be Wednesday. We will have a much better idea of our signees after Round 10 Tuesday.

jry04

It sounds bad saying I hope Knight doesn't go in the first two rounds, but it is strictly as a selfish fan. If he is going to go pro I hope he gets taken in the first round and makes as much money as possible. Selfishly, if we want him back, I think we need to not hear his name called today, and we need him not taken by a team with a large bonus pool.

SPAL

WhenPigsFly

Also, if Knight doesn't go in the first three rounds, it might mean teams think he will be a hard sign.  (fingers crossed)

jry04

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on June 12, 2017, 09:04:21 am
Also, if Knight doesn't go in the first three rounds, it might mean teams think he will be a hard sign.  (fingers crossed)
Exactly. With the way the draft works if they are taken early they know they will likely sign the kid because if they don't then they will lose that slot value. If knight falls out of the top 3 then he may fall out of the top 10 completely, or at least go late in the top 10 so the hit for not signing him isn't as drastic. There is always a possibility he tells them one number, then thinks better of it and demands more after he is drafted and they cannot work it out so he still returns, but I think it is probably a safe bet if he goes in the top 3 rounds then he told them his # and they agree to it.

hogfan14

QuoteTrevor Stephan @RazorbackBSB is running up boards after impressing late. #Yankees #Pirates #Angels heavily interested 47-54 range #MLBDraft

-Frankie Piliere

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogfan14 on June 12, 2017, 03:48:04 pm
-Frankie Piliere

I've been saying the last couple of weeks the reports were to low for him.  He would be a huge steal where some of his projections were just 2-3 weeks ago.  He should be our most attractive pitching prospect in the draft that is already on the team.

SPAL

Is it too much to ask for the braves to sign a Razorback? Just one is all I ask.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 12, 2017, 04:30:58 pm
Is it too much to ask for the braves to sign a Razorback? Just one is all I ask.

That would be awesome, I don't think they've drafted an Arkansas kid since Rick Coatney.

I'm sure that's not entirely correct, but they don't take our guys very often.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

SPAL

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 12, 2017, 04:38:11 pm
That would be awesome, I don't think they've drafted an Arkansas kid since Rick Coatney.

I'm sure that's not entirely correct, but they don't take our guys very often.

I admit, I had to look that up. Firing up the way back machine. Lol

SPAL

Here we go.....

I'm going Brendan McKay 1/1

SPAL

Royce Lewis.....didn't see that coming.

woodrow hog call

I didn't see anybody with him as their #1 pick.

SPAL

Love Gore at 3. I was hoping he might fall to Atlanta

woodrow hog call

High schoolers taking over early, Hunter Greene is an impressive young man.

SPAL

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 12, 2017, 06:30:34 pm
High schoolers taking over early, Hunter Greene is an impressive young man.

Yeah. Twins will regret not taking him I think.

SPAL

First Baseman Brendan Mckay

CJ HOG

Who you want SPAL?....Nm didn't give you much time to answer my bad.

SPAL

Love it....I love this pick. I freaking love it

swineology

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 12, 2017, 06:39:09 pm

You got a solid RHP
;)

SPAL

I just knew we were gonna go with Bukauskas. That would have disappointing.

Freaking Kyle wright

woodrow hog call

He could be up by the end of the year, with what they have now.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 12, 2017, 06:39:09 pm
Yes sir. That's the kind of pitcher that made Atlanta roll for a decade
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

TNhawgfan

Quote from: woodrow hog call on June 12, 2017, 06:43:30 pm
He could be up by the end of the year, with what they have now.
If they took their time bringing dansby up, they're not going to rush bringing up a pitcher

TebowHater

Can someone explain Pavin Smith going so high? A first base that hit .342 with only 13 home runs. Not the most athletic. What am I missing here?

Also, wow @Virginia having back to back top ten picks.

SPAL

Quote from: TebowHater on June 12, 2017, 07:03:25 pm
Can someone explain Pavin Smith going so high? A first base that hit .342 with only 13 home runs. Not the most athletic. What am I missing here?

Also, wow @Virginia having back to back top ten picks.

Probably the best pure hitter in the draft

SPAL

When the braves get these guys developed and up to the show....it'll be like the 90's

SPAL

Angels gotta steal with Jo Adell. 5 tool talent, speed and power. Really like him.

jry04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 12, 2017, 06:33:05 pm
Yeah. Twins will regret not taking him I think.
Doesn't fit what they need. Need a SS and need a starting pitcher. Most think Greene will settle as a pitcher, but won't be a starting pitcher. He is the best talent in the draft, but doesn't fit their need.

Taking Lewis addresses a need by adding who is considered the best at his position, but will also save them money to overpay on pitchers with other picks. They have 3 picks in the first 37 picks, so getting the best SS and 2 quality arms with the first 37 picks will be viewed as a success. McKay said no to the Twins, or he would have been drafted by them.

SPAL

jry04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 12, 2017, 07:17:54 pm
Jake Burger at 11
That is a bit surprising. I thought he was going to go later in the 1st.

TebowHater

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 12, 2017, 07:06:31 pm
Probably the best pure hitter in the draft

Sorry, I know that's what he is billed as - just was trying to understand what makes it so. Is it the low strike out number (12) in addition to the decent average / power?

Watching Benintendi you could tell he had such a pure swing, but his numbers also reflected that. AB also had far better tools defensively and on the base paths to be picked in the same slot (obviously no two drafts are alike, I am just still surprised he's so hyped)

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 12, 2017, 07:07:15 pm
When the braves get these guys developed and up to the show....it'll be like the 90's
The number of high level arms down on the farm is ridiculous.  Newcomb had a great debut Saturday.  Kolby Allard is looking like a potential top of the rotation arm.  Soroka has the look of an innings eater. Anderson has an extremely high ceiling.  Fried is starting to look more like the elite arm he was known as.  Add in a potential INF of Freeman, Albies, Swanson, and Maitan and OFs Inciarte and Acuna, we will be back.

TNhawgfan

I'm glad you mentioned Inciarte ucahogfan. He is my favorite everyday player not named Freeman, and i think he could be a true All Star in the coming years

jry04

Clarke Schmidt has season ending TJ surgery and goes 16th overall to the Yankees.

SPAL

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 12, 2017, 07:40:06 pm
The number of high level arms down on the farm is ridiculous.  Newcomb had a great debut Saturday.  Kolby Allard is looking like a potential top of the rotation arm.  Soroka has the look of an innings eater. Anderson has an extremely high ceiling.  Fried is starting to look more like the elite arm he was known as.  Add in a potential INF of Freeman, Albies, Swanson, and Maitan and OFs Inciarte and Acuna, we will be back.

I'm excited about Allard.

SPAL

Quote from: TebowHater on June 12, 2017, 07:32:27 pm
Sorry, I know that's what he is billed as - just was trying to understand what makes it so. Is it the low strike out number (12) in addition to the decent average / power?

Watching Benintendi you could tell he had such a pure swing, but his numbers also reflected that. AB also had far better tools defensively and on the base paths to be picked in the same slot (obviously no two drafts are alike, I am just still surprised he's so hyped)

I'm not sure how to respond. His numbers don't make him the best hitter, he just is.

bulldog04

No surprise the Tigers draft a SEC player

ucahogfan

Quote from: TNhawgfan on June 12, 2017, 07:51:31 pm
I'm glad you mentioned Inciarte ucahogfan. He is my favorite everyday player not named Freeman, and i think he could be a true All Star in the coming years
Same here.  He isn't flashing a little more power this year and playing his standard elite defense.  Glad he is signed for the long term.  Crazy to think we got both him and Swanson for Miller.  That isn't even mentioning Aaron Blair who hasn't done a lot as a Brave.

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 12, 2017, 08:00:53 pm
I'm excited about Allard.
Me too. Could have been a top 5 pick if he was healthy on draft day. Glad he wasn't and he is in our system.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 12, 2017, 08:18:19 pm
Crazy to think we got both him and Swanson for Miller.
Absolute steals

ucahogfan

Jeren Kendall goes #23 to the Dodgers. Could be the steal of this draft if he eases the swing and miss concerns.