Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update: Auburn RS freshman football player Jakell Mitchell was shot and killed

Started by jbcarol, December 14, 2014, 06:47:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  2 hours ago
Auburn freshman Jakell Mitchell killed in shooting; police searching for suspect http://ow.ly/FRemc

QuoteAuburn freshman football player Jakell Mitchell was shot and killed early Sunday morning at an apartment complex near the Auburn University campus.

The Auburn Police Department is investigating and developing leads as it searches for a suspect.

Police responded to the Tiger Lodge apartment complex at 12:25 a.m., where Mitchell suffered a fatal injury, Auburn police Capt. Will Matthews told AL.com.

Mitchell was rushed to East Alabama Medical Center by ambulance with multiple gunshot wounds, according to the Lee County Coroner's Office. He died shortly after arriving at the emergency room. The death is being treated as a homicide.

Mitchell redshirted this season for the Auburn Tigers out of nearby Opelika.

The shooting early Sunday occurred at the same apartment complex Desmonte Leonard killed three men, including former Auburn players Ed Christian and Ladarious Phillips, at a party in the summer of 2012.

Auburn Police Department is looking for info related to the incident.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

SemperHawg

Same apartment complex where the two former players were killed in 2012.  RS Freshman Jakell Mitchell (Sp?) Shot and killed early Sunday morning.  Prayers for the kids family and friends.

jbcarol

Albert Cesare @AlbertCesare  ·  1 hour ago
Jakell Mitchell was a joy to work with, my favorite image of him taken while I was at the Opelika-Auburn News.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Alex Byington @AUBlog  ·  52 minutes ago
Just after 6 am Sun. & Auburn PD still on scene trying to reconstruct what resulted in the death of Jakell Mitchell.

jbcarol

Tom Green @Tomas_Verde  ·  2 hours ago
Trying to update this Jakell Mitchell story as fast as I can. Just speechless right now. Was a great athlete and incredible kid.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PorcineSublime

No matter rivalries, this is truly sad. Prayers for his family and friends.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

jbcarol

Auburn Football @FootballAU  ·  48 minutes ago
Our thoughts & prayers go out to Jakell Mitchell's family, friends & teammates.

TNhawgfan

I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

arkansasstory

jbcarol

Rodney Garner @coachg76  ·  21 minutes ago
Sad day for the Mitchell & Auburn Families as we lost a Son & Bro. Please keep both in your thoughts & prayers! #RIPJAKELL #AuburnFamily

Nashville Fan

Pittman or Bust!

AubFaninArk

Not good.  Its easy to blame the apt. complex as bad news...it is.  But, I hope this wakes up the players and coaches about being the right places and avoid these types of parties.  The event in 2012 turned out to be an angry boyfriend driving in from Montgomery...all signs are pointing to a similar event this time.  This is Gus's first time as the HC for an event like this....I hope he handles it correctly.

forrest city joe

Very sad. prayers to the young man's family.and to the people at Auburn.

jackflash

Hate to hear this, prayers to his family and teammates. Lost of a young man just at the beginning of life, terrible

Hogs7672

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  1 hour ago
Police arrest man in shooting death of Auburn football player Jakell Mitchell http://ow.ly/FS3w0

Police have arrested Markale Hart, 22, of Camp Hill. He has been charged with murder.

Round House @RoundHouseOA  ·  1 hour ago
Candlelight vigil for Jakell Mitchell tomorrow (Monday) at 6pm in @DowntownOpelika

jbcarol

Joel A. Erickson @JoelAEricksonAU  ·  5 hours ago
Auburn football team grieves at loss of Jakell Mitchell http://s.al.com/CVsADKg

jbcarol

Albert Cesare ‏@AlbertCesare  28 minutes ago
Suspect in Jakell Mitchell shooting. Markale Deandra Hart in custody.@MGMAdvertiser pic.twitter.com/STjeRlC4gt

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  18 hours ago

Girlfriend says Auburn's Jakell Mitchell was in argument before shooting http://ow.ly/FSCck

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  20 hours ago

Man arrested in shooting death of Jakell Mitchell has criminal past http://ow.ly/FSrBU

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  54 minutes ago

RT @eedgemon: Man suspected of killing Jakell Mitchell could have probation revoked on earlier charge http://s.al.com/2JDytmW

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  1 hour ago
Auburn, Opelika communities pack church to remember 'fearless' Jakell Mitchell at funeral http://s.al.com/KxqXLlM

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/874290968157192192

QuoteThe murder trial for the man charged with the murder of former Auburn H-back Jakell Mitchell has been delayed.

Jury selection for the trial of Markale Hart was set to begin Monday morning in Opelika but the trial was delayed due to conflicts with other cases set for trial. According to Alacourt.com, five murder trials and three attempted murder trials were on the docket for Monday morning at the Lee County Courthouse.

A reset date for the trial has yet to be announced.

"There's no date right now," said Jerry Blevins, Hart's attorney. "It won't be tried this term. My guess is it will be set for next term, whenever that is.... It will be reset.... Just got other cases, I believe, that were older that are taking precedent."

The next criminal trial term in Lee County begins Sept. 25.

Hart is charged with the shooting death of Mitchell on Dec. 14, 2014 at the Tiger Lodge at Auburn apartment complex on West Longleaf Drive in Auburn. Hart admitted last year in testimony during an immunity hearing that he shot Mitchell, though he claimed it was in self-defense and that Mitchell was the aggressor in the incident and was the first to pull a weapon that night during an off-campus party. At the time, Hart sought to have the charges dropped based on Alabama's Stand Your Grand law but was denied immunity.

Hart on killing Mitchell: "I ain't have no other choice."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/888096312440360962

QuoteThe murder trial for the man charged with the murder of former Auburn H-back Jakell Mitchell over two and a half years ago has been continued until September.

An order signed by Lee County Circuit Court judge Christopher Hughes on Thursday reset the trial for Markale Hart for the week of Sept. 25, when the next criminal trial term is to begin.

Jury selection for Hart's trial was to begin June 12 but the trial was delayed due to conflicts with other cases.

Hart is charged with the murder of Mitchell after a fatal shooting at the Tiger Lodge at Auburn apartment complex in Auburn on Dec. 14, 2014. During testimony at an immunity hearing last year, Hart admitted that he shot Mitchell but claimed it was in self-defense and that Mitchell was the aggressor and the first to pull a weapon during the off-campus party. At the time, Hart sought to have the charges dropped based on Alabama's Stand Your Ground law but was denied immunity.

Hart can still claim self-defense during the murder trial, which was initially set to begin Dec. 5 of last year but Hart was granted a continuance because a witness for the defense was on active duty with the Alabama National Guard and stationed in Kuwait...

jbcarol

Man who killed Auburn football player granted continuance for unrelated DUI, stolen gun charges

QuoteThe preliminary hearing for the man awaiting trial for murder in the 2014 shooting death of an Auburn football player on unrelated charges of receiving stolen property, a stolen gun and driving under the influence has been delayed.

Markale Deandre Hart was due to appear in Tallapoosa County Circuit Court in Dadeville for a preliminary hearing on Wednesday afternoon but was granted a continuance until Oct. 10, according to court documents.

Hart was released on bond for the murder charge when he was arrested in Dadeville on Feb. 26. His bond was later revoked and he remains in jail awaiting the murder trial for the Dec. 2014 shooting death of Auburn H-back Jakell Mitchell on Sept. 25 in Lee County.

Dadeville police reported Hart blew a .16 on the breathalyzer test, which is twice the legal limit, and failed a field sobriety test after they pulled him over on the evening of Feb. 26. Hart, who previously was convicted of burglary in Tallapoosa County, was charged with DUI and police searched his vehicle and found a pistol, which was reported stolen.

During testimony at an immunity hearing on the murder charge last year, Hart admitted he shot Mitchell, but claimed it was in self-defense and that Mitchell was the aggressor and first to pull a weapon during a confrontation at the off-campus party in 2014. Hart sought to have the charges dropped based on Alabama's Stand Your Ground law...