Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching Openings

Started by WilsonHog, September 25, 2016, 03:45:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

September 25, 2016, 03:45:52 pm Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:05:56 am by WilsonHog
Baylor - Art Briles (fired). IN - Matt Rhule (HC, Temple).

Cincinnati - Tommy Tuberville (resigned). IN - Luke Fickell (DC, Ohio State).

Florida Atlantic - Charlie Partridge (fired). IN - Lane Kiffin (OC, Alabama).

FIU - Ron Turner (fired). IN - Butch Davis (ESPN).

Fresno St. - Tim DeRuyter (fired). IN - Jeff Tedford (consultant, Washington).

Georgia State - Trent Miles (fired). IN - Shawn Elliott (Asst., South Carolina).

Houston - Tom Herman (Texas). IN - Major Applewhite (OC, Houston).

Indiana - Kevin Wilson (fired). IN - Tom Allen (DC, Indiana).

LSU- Les Miles (fired). IN - Ed Orgeron (interim, LSU).

Nevada - Brian Polian (fired). IN - Jay Norvell (Asst. Coach, Arizona State).

Oregon - Mark Helfrich (fired). IN - Willie Taggart (HC, South Florida).

Purdue - Darrell Hazell (fired). IN - Jeff Brohm (HC, Western Kentucky).

San Jose State - Ron Caragher (fired). IN - Brent Brennan (Asst. Coach, Oregon State).

South Florida - Willie Taggart (Oregon). IN - Charlie Strong (HC, Texas).

Temple - Matt Rhule (Baylor). IN - Geoff Collins (DC, Florida).

Texas - Charlie Strong (fired). IN - Tom Herman (HC, Houston).

Western Kentucky - Jeff Brohm (Purdue). IN - Mike Sanford (OC, Notre Dame).

rhames

This made the ending of my weekend a little better
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

JOKERHOG

BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

3kgthog

Quote from: rhames on September 25, 2016, 03:46:31 pm
This made the ending of my weekend a little better

Not mine. It means LSU just got better.

WilsonHog

Looks like Ed Orgeron has been named interim HC.

Arkansas Fan

LSU will go after Tom Herman hard. If not him, Art Briles.

RazorCraft

Was hoping LSU would keep Miles forever. Would hate to see someone with coaching ability take over that talent. Don't think Herman will go. He has been very methodical in his career path. Hope I'm right. That guy is a great coach and recruiter.
This is a show-me world and I'm sick of talking!
CBP

RME

Quote from: RazorCraft on September 25, 2016, 04:03:24 pm
Was hoping LSU would keep Miles forever. Would hate to see someone with coaching ability take over that talent. Don't think Herman will go. He has been very methodical in his career path. Hope I'm right. That guy is a great coach and recruiter.

Why would Herman not go?

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 25, 2016, 04:04:24 pm
Why would Herman not go?

Maybe he feels like being loyal to Houston for giving him his first HC job. We'll see.

ricepig

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

rhames

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on September 25, 2016, 04:06:10 pm
Maybe he feels like being loyal to Houston for giving him his first HC job. We'll see.

Lol.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

gawntrail

DEVIL DOG HOG

I'm hearing that the Florida State Head coach is a person of interest.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

longpig

Quote from: 3kgthog on September 25, 2016, 03:55:16 pm
Not mine. It means LSU just got better.

Yeh but corndogs are just dumb enough to give Orgeron the job full time.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Martygit

Quote from: gawntrail on September 25, 2016, 04:34:36 pm
Layne Kiffin to LSU.

I would love that - if not Miles, let it be Kiffin
RIP OTR, REV

dsgreen

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 25, 2016, 04:04:24 pm
Why would Herman not go?

Houston can afford him and if they get in the Big 12 they will own that conference.

DeltaBoy

I expect Art Briles or the Houston Coach to LSU.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 26, 2016, 09:16:06 am
I expect Art Briles or the Houston Coach to LSU.
Does the NCAA and/or SEC strong arm teams to stay away from Briles?  Would LSU care?

I think Hermann would have to be the leader in the clubhouse for this gig.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on September 25, 2016, 03:59:30 pm
LSU will go after Tom Herman hard. If not him, Art Briles.

I am curious to see what happens with Briles.  It seems like I read somewhere that he is not interested in leaving Texas, but that was written before Baylor fired him.  Not sure if it still applies or not.

RazorPiggie

IDK that SEC would allow LSU to hire Briles.

ricepig

Quote from: dsgreen on September 25, 2016, 08:03:40 pm
Houston can afford him and if they get in the Big 12 they will own that conference.

If Houston joins the Big 12, they owe Herman $5M. I'm thinking most of the Big 12 coaches would be happy if he left UH.

greenie

Please let LSU make Orgeron the permanent HC. I know it's unlikely, but if they do, corn dog party at my house!

King Kong

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 26, 2016, 04:19:36 pm
IDK that SEC would allow LSU to hire Briles.

They can't stop them..... But they can and will strongly suggest against it

tophawg19

Careful what you wish for . the players love Orgeron and play hard for him . he had USC playing pretty well. and he is an awesome recruiter . Kiffin is much better since he's been under saban . he's no longer the idiot he was
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

prattville pig

Briles will be OC at Auburn
Life's too short to last long.

clutch

Heard the Ed O press conference earlier. It was funny to listen to. He sure sounds exactly like what you'd expect an LSU coach to sound like with his accent.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: greenie on September 26, 2016, 07:12:23 pm
Please let LSU make Orgeron the permanent HC. I know it's unlikely, but if they do, corn dog party at my house!

Not sure why you want this...dude is a hell of a recruiter and like was mentioned above, the players love him.

bp

ricepig

Quote from: BorderPatrol on September 27, 2016, 07:31:13 pm
Not sure why you want this...dude is a hell of a recruiter and like was mentioned above, the players love him.

bp

I'd rather have him than Herman, or a proven coach. Ed didn't do much at OM, so I think the jury is still out on his head coaching ability. He'd have to have an OC, as he's a D-line coach. As far as recruiting, he's good, but he can't sign them all from Louisiana.

King Kong

Pancetta

I doubt many Power 5 schools will be beating down Briles door. A soon to be 61 year old coach that just got fired for having too many rapists on his team.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

greenie

bp

I guess because I'm worried they might get Herman or Petrino...I'll gladly take Orgeron over either of these. Of course, there are worse choices than Orgeron, but to me, he seems the worst of the likely candidates. JMO.

ChicoHog

It wil be interesting to see if any of their recruits decommit with Miles fired.  I think 90% of kids from Louisiana go to LSU because it LSU, not because of who the coach is.  They could hire anyone, even Nutt, and still recruit well in their home state.  It's amazing how much WR talent they get even though they have not had a QB to throw them the ball since Mettenberger was there.  And he was a transfer from UGA. 

clutch

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 27, 2016, 10:43:50 pm
It wil be interesting to see if any of their recruits decommit with Miles fired.  I think 90% of kids from Louisiana go to LSU because it LSU, not because of who the coach is.  They could hire anyone, even Nutt, and still recruit well in their home state.  It's amazing how much WR talent they get even though they have not had a QB to throw them the ball since Mettenberger was there.  And he was a transfer from UGA. 

I was thinking that too, but then thought about it a little deeper and I'm not so sure. Before Saban got there that wasn't really the case. Pre-Saban, LSU wasn't really a big-time program. He put them on the map and Les was able to keep that program rolling well enough during his tenure to keep them as a big name. I think with the wrong hire, LSU could revert back to what they once were. Not likely, but it could happen.

clutch

Quote from: greenie on September 27, 2016, 09:58:17 pm
I guess because I'm worried they might get Herman or Petrino...I'll gladly take Orgeron over either of these. Of course, there are worse choices than Orgeron, but to me, he seems the worst of the likely candidates. JMO.

I seriously doubt that it is Petrino. LSU is going to be looking for a safe, but successful hire. They can't afford to mess this up after firing a coach that was a perennial 10 game winner. Petrino is a great coach, but he's still a very risky hire. Plus, I think he stays put for a little longer at Louisville. He's trying to restore his name. Another job hop could seriously damage his recruiting abilities. 

Where is Nutt in this.  He usually puts himself in the forefront at any job opening.  I mean he took nation championship talent and got them to two cotton bowls back to back.

Any coach going to LSU from a good job will have to ask himself if he is a top 5 coach.  And then realize that being a top 5 coach will just get you in the running for at least 3rd place in the SEC-W.

If the city of Houston ever decides to support Houston, the school, then that will be one of the best jobs in in college sports.  I used to go the Arkansas/Houston games there.  I could set in the end zone on the Arkansas side or between the forties on the Houston side with no one pushing up against me.  Houston had great teams back then but I've seen more fans at a high school game many times.  Hermann may have arrived in Houston at just the right time. 

I just got to ask.  Did anyone watch Houston/UConn last night.  Those little Houston players were fast, well conditioned, played smart, and never took a play off.  But how bad do you believe BAMA would beat them in a playoff game.

HogPharmer

Quote from: clutch on September 27, 2016, 06:48:40 pm
Heard the Ed O press conference earlier. It was funny to listen to. He sure sounds exactly like what you'd expect an LSU coach to sound like with his accent.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Will be interesting to see how this list grows throughout the season. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

bennyl08

bp

Same was true of Les.

Why does being a great recruiter matter? LSU isn't going to get better players. Talent wise, they are already in that top tier.

LSU's problem has never been Jimmy's and Joe's, save for the qb position, but X's and O's with in game play calling and strategy. LSU hasn't had any problem having a team that gives their all or talented players. They've struggled with having a competent offense.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ChicoHog

They were talking about Herman on college sports radio this week and an interesting topic is he has lost only one game in his year and 5 game tenure so far and that was when Greg Ward did not play.  Is Herman a great coach or is he just very lucky with Greg Ward at QB?   No way to tell yet.  He has been a head coach for only 1 year plus.  Remember Stan heath in basketball?  I think Herman has done a great job but I also think people are anointing him as a savior way too soon.  Some were talking about Malzahn the same way in his first year at Auburn and now he is on the hot seat. 

You could be correct about Hermann, great schedule and great QB may be a huge part of his winning ways.  I personally believe he can coach pretty well.  Malzahn is one QB short of a decent team and that is on him.  Their current starter is not even close to the answer, actually pitiful.  Whatever happened to the Johnson QB who Malzahn had and he was supposed to be the answer.  Is he still on their roster.  I still believe that if Houston, the city, is finally ready to support Houston, the school, then Hermann has a better job where he is than at a school in the SEC-W.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 30, 2016, 04:27:27 pm
Will be interesting to see how this list grows throughout the season. 

I think there is a good chance Mark Helfrich will be out at Oregon.
Add Clay Helton to that list.  Though they played better today than I expected.
I think Stoops at Kentucky only survives one more year because of his buyout.

I think James Franklin and The Gus Bus to skate by for one more year.

goodguytex

I have been told that there are 2 jobs Herman has expressed interest in if they were to open up, and neither one are LSU. The 2 are Baylor and texass. He could write his own check at texass.

A big incentive to get him to stay at Houston is if Houston is accepted into the big 12, Herman gets a 5 million bonus. Pretty good reason to stay.
.I wouldn't be surprised if LSwho either rides with orgeron or tries to get Fisher or Kiffin. But after the way FSU has looked this year, they may back off of Fisher.

IMO it's either Kiffin or stick with Orgeron.

hog.goblin

Quote from: goodguytex on October 02, 2016, 01:08:58 am
I have been told that there are 2 jobs Herman has expressed interest in if they were to open up, and neither one are LSU. The 2 are Baylor and texass. He could write his own check at texass.

A big incentive to get him to stay at Houston is if Houston is accepted into the big 12, Herman gets a 5 million bonus. Pretty good reason to stay.
.I wouldn't be surprised if LSwho either rides with orgeron or tries to get Fisher or Kiffin. But after the way FSU has looked this year, they may back off of Fisher.

IMO it's either Kiffin or stick with Orgeron.

Herman will take the USC job if available

goodguytex

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 02, 2016, 02:27:39 am
Herman will take the USC job if available
If texass is available too I think he will take texass.

ChicoHog

Behind the scenes Herman would love to know if Texas will be open.  The big money people there will broker a deal to get Strong out and Herman in if the Longhorns have another mediocre season like 6-6 or 7-5.  8-4 may save him but still questionable.  If Texas keeps Strong then I think he looks at LSU or Baylor.  Baylor may get a jump on Texas knowing that Grobe is only an interim coach and they can negotiate with him very quickly before texas even has a chance to fire Strong (if that's what they decide to do). 

goodguytex

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 02, 2016, 10:57:43 am
Behind the scenes Herman would love to know if Texas will be open.  The big money people there will broker a deal to get Strong out and Herman in if the Longhorns have another mediocre season like 6-6 or 7-5.  8-4 may save him but still questionable.  If Texas keeps Strong then I think he looks at LSU or Baylor.  Baylor may get a jump on Texas knowing that Grobe is only an interim coach and they can negotiate with him very quickly before texas even has a chance to fire Strong (if that's what they decide to do).
If texass dumps Strong I hope bielema acts quickly if our defense continues struggling and get Strong on board as DC.

husker71

If he gets fired in Texas Charlie wont be without a job for long