Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who would we rather have running the offense -- Norm Chow or Gus Malzahn?

Started by werehog, October 04, 2006, 12:44:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

werehog

Norm Chow probably will be happy to leave after this year with the Titans. So probably will be Jeff Fisher. They don't have the control they need over personnel decisions. Either of the guys would give us a link to Cali D1 talent. Our biggest problem is we don't have enough quality kids on the team. If Nebraska can get 20 Cali kids to come to Lincoln and Rutgers can obtain football respectability by recruiting 26 Florida kids, I would think we should be able to intice the out-state talent we need to rebuild Arkansas football. I think we do this by hiring a coach that recruits instantly recognize and want to play for. Gus will probably make a name for himself some day soon in the college ranks, but he doesn't have it now. To most people, he is still that high school guy that Arkansas hired as OC. At best, they think it is quaint and at worse they view it as an act of desperation. What does everyone think?

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Nashville Fan

Fisher is probably one of the best coaches in the NFL. No way we would get him. He will stay in the NFL. Maybe Steelers. Chow might be looking for a new job soon. It's an interesting thought.
Pittman or Bust!

RazorRedneck

No matter our personal opinions the smart choice, if we had it, would have to be Norm Chow.

PAHog

I like Malzahn and his philosophies as much as the next fan (anything is better than run, run, run, punt), but I would have to chose proven collegiate success over innovative and unproven.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

MrsPiggy

didn't we almost have Norm Chow before Danny Ford nixed that idea?  Ah the possibilities at Arkansas...always a what if and might have been....

Landonhog

Nashville Fan

Quote from: PAHog on October 04, 2006, 01:01:06 pm
I like Malzahn and his philosophies as much as the next fan (anything is better than run, run, run, punt), but I would have to chose proven collegiate success over innovative and unproven.
AR could let Norm be HC and Malzahn be OC. Kind of a Yoda - Skywalker thing.
Pittman or Bust!

jkcrunch

Chow of course.  i do not think we almost had him I think at the time he did not want to move

hogtusk

Norm Chow right now, after a few years experience, probably Gus.
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

brooks74

Of course we would choose Chow.  He's a proven commodity!  Problem is, we don't have him, and we probably never will.

jkcrunch

Quote from: Nashville Fan on October 04, 2006, 01:06:34 pm
Quote from: PAHog on October 04, 2006, 01:01:06 pm
AR could let Norm be HC and Malzahn be OC. Kind of a Yoda - Skywalker thing.

Chow has express before that he would not want to be a HC.   Would Gus be smart enough to stay on as WR coach with Chow as OC.  Yes it would be a step back but in the long run he could take Chow teaching and his style and becoming a better/more marketable coach in the long

jackwalker

How about a more realistic question:

Who would you rather have running the offense:

Houston Nutt, or Gus Malzahn?
HOW CAN YOU FIRE A COACH AFTER A 10 WIN SEASON?

THE SAME WAY YOU BENCH A QUATERBACK WHO NEVER LOST A GAME HE STARTED

If HDN does more with less...what happens when he has more?

Oh wait...2003...nevermind. Oh...and 2007...

Nashville Fan

Quote from: jkcrunch on October 04, 2006, 01:10:35 pm

Chow has express before that he would not want to be a HC.   Would Gus be smart enough to stay on as WR coach with Chow as OC.  Yes it would be a step back but in the long run he could take Chow teaching and his style and becoming a better/more marketable coach in the long
I like it! Make it so Daddy Frank! GM would be a fool not to hop all over that kind of mentoring.
Pittman or Bust!

jhog

Quote from: Nashville Fan on October 04, 2006, 12:56:21 pm
Fisher is probably one of the best coaches in the NFL. No way we would get him. He will stay in the NFL. Maybe Steelers. Chow might be looking for a new job soon. It's an interesting thought.

Norm Chow was asked to interview for the job when Ford left.  He would not even interview for the job. 

hogsNbeer

Norm Chow today, tomorrow, and yesterday.............  Chow has proven to be a winner at the college level....Its' not even close......

OnYourToes

I agree that Fisher will probably go somewhere in the NFL; Dallas, San Fran.
Chow maybe asked to take over the regins as HC.  Just sayin'.
He has experience with college QBs and Young is still a pup.  He will need that type of mentor to coach him for a few more years.

However, I could see the organization cutting ties with both of them.

I would like Chow to be our HC and GM to stay on as OC.  Their minds could come up with a potent and scary O and if that's the case, RH can stay simply to fill a seat.  If Chow and Gus get rolling, there is not an offese in the SEC built to keep up and go score for score with us the whole game.  Or D would be more like that of STL Rams in 99.  Weak, but you know what they did. . . . 

I like this idea.
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

Nashville Fan

Quote from: jhog on October 04, 2006, 02:27:22 pm
Quote from: Nashville Fan on October 04, 2006, 12:56:21 pm

Norm Chow was asked to interview for the job when Ford left.  He would not even interview for the job. 
From USC to AR is a step down. From Titans to AR is a step up. Kidding.
Pittman or Bust!

excoach

Each coach has a philosophy. All have been successful with their philosophy. Since we have Mitch and he is familiar with Gus's philosophy, I would take Gus.

HogNuttz

Here is an idea.  Let's get someone on board that knows something about defense.  If we get Norm Chow (not happening) and keep Gus, we could score 70 and still lose.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

Broken Trigger

Let's wait until Gus has 2 or 3 years under his belt here, and then make the choice.