Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If we are so thin at Linebacker why not use Hillis there?

Started by Hog Fan 51, October 04, 2006, 12:22:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog Fan 51

It seems to me that as weak as we are at linebacker we need to  employ some diffrent techniques. Hillis has already proved he can tackle last year when he played special teams. The fact is the kid has the size and speed to play Linbacker in the SEC, so why not bring him in at least in some Nickle or dime packages, and at least help to stop those long 3rd down conversions we have been so freely giving up. Just curious about any thoughts that might be out there on this.

:razorback:
The over used wildcat will be rendered ineffective as it was after our 8-0 starting QB was benched!

98hogs

cubbie

Thats not true, alot of teams use db's to catch punts.
If you were a Hotdog would you eat yourself? I know I would.

davehog

Because he is too valuable on offense. Just because he hasn't had that many touches this year doesn't diminish how good of an offensive player he is.

mikeirwin

How about you don't just snap your fingers and turn a kid into an SEC caliber LB ?
That staff has moved so many players around some of you have started to believe that it's just a matter of doing it and it will work.
How many of these moved players have made an impact ?
Seen Robert Johnson making any catches lately ?
Did Anthony Brown see the field as a LB ?
Most of the time there's a reason why you play a certain position.
It's what you're good at. Maybe you're not good enough but switching to another position will make you better ?
In Hillis' case if he went through an entire spring at LB he might make an impact in the fall. But moving him in the middle of the season would accomplish nothing.

Frankenswine

First of all, this in NOT a knock on Hillis, I think he is a great player.  But in high school he played linebacker if I remember correctly, and I don't think that he was all that great at that position.

jackwalker

He is a fullback.  If he wants to make money on Sunday's/Monday's he will be a fullback.  The fact that he can run, catch and break tackles, in addition to his blocking only makes him a better fit as an NFL quality fullback.

Peyton Hillis is the best, most reluctant fullback in college football.
HOW CAN YOU FIRE A COACH AFTER A 10 WIN SEASON?

THE SAME WAY YOU BENCH A QUATERBACK WHO NEVER LOST A GAME HE STARTED

If HDN does more with less...what happens when he has more?

Oh wait...2003...nevermind. Oh...and 2007...

brooks74

How many threads do we have to have about Hillis and Stumon switching positions?

cookie52

Hog Fan 51

I think Robert Johnson was more of a demotion. I hate living in the past, but seems like Matt Jones bounced from Receiver to QB (his freshman year), and is now playing WR in the Pros. Besides when did playing on sundays mean more than trying to win football games now. Frankly I realize that Hillis gives our O another dimension, and yes Mike you can't just snap your fingers and have an All American LB, but we are hurting for Athletes and depth on the D, and Hillis is probably one of the top athletes on the team. Given this and our good depth at RB, why couldn't he become a situational LB to help when we need more speed on that side of the ball. We are especially going to need some extra stamina if Auburn does to us what it did in the 3rd Qtr against the gamecocks last week.
The over used wildcat will be rendered ineffective as it was after our 8-0 starting QB was benched!

HogNuttz

October 04, 2006, 02:38:52 pm #12 Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 02:42:13 pm by HogNuttz
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

HogNuttz

October 04, 2006, 02:41:06 pm #13 Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 02:48:06 pm by HogNuttz
Quote from: mikeirwin on October 04, 2006, 01:17:28 pm
How about you don't just snap your fingers and turn a kid into an SEC caliber LB ?
(Matt Hewitt)

That staff has moved so many players around some of you have started to believe that it's just a matter of doing it and it will work.
How many of these moved players have made an impact ?
(Then why don't we recruit more players to the positions we seem to constantly move people to, and recruit less from the positions we constantly move people from?)

Seen Robert Johnson making any catches lately ?
(Didn't he hurt his knee and have it scoped?  Is he even practicing yet?)

(Did Anthony Brown see the field for the position he was recruited for? Has he seen significant time at any of his 16,573 positions unless we were short on depth?)

Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

mikeirwin

Quote from: cookie52 on October 04, 2006, 02:18:12 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on October 04, 2006, 01:17:28 pm

He did play against Alabama for a few snaps.
Enough that they moved him back to DE ?

OnYourToes

Come on guys, with his great hands and his specialness we need him on the offensive side of the ball.
;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
^^^^^^^^^^^ Means SARCASIM, we have no button.
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

mikeirwin

Quote from: PAHOGFAN on October 04, 2006, 02:28:39 pm
Not to argue with you Mike, cause I love what you bring to the board, but Hewitt made a big impact and he had 3.5 practices there.  I can be done and has by this staff.
There are always exceptions but most of the time it doesn't work out. Also strong safety and linebacker are closely related positions.
If Hewett had been a WR do you think moving him would have had the same initial results ?