Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All you good old boys that are preaching conspiracy on the Hill please read.

Started by PigPusher, October 02, 2006, 09:49:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HedgeDweller

Quote from: KEYS on October 02, 2006, 11:14:39 am
BTW, if I'm so out-of-the-know on my assertions, how would I know that while I was replying to this thread Damian, Mitch, and other players were at the VA in Fayetteville visiting Vets and signing autographs? 

That won't show up until the Channel 7 News this evening.

Knowing about a trip to the VA (very commendable, I applaud them) and knowing what every body is thinking is quite a bit different.
Look, I admitted that you are in a position to hear more than some of us.
In fact, I bow down to your superior knowledge. :)
I just disagree with you on some points (see my post for specific 'facts') that you state as fact, when I don't believe that they are proveable.  Especially the 'what would have happened' (none would have signed).  I argue that with Mustain and Norman.  I think (notice I didn't state as 'fact') that Norman would've signed no matter what, he wanted to be a Hog.  And I feel that if Wittke had been retained and Malzahn not hired, Mustain would still have signed.  JMHO.
I already know your reply will be that you don't HAVE to 'prove' anything (I've seen it before), but likewise, I don't have to blindly believe things that there is no evidence of proof available.
Respectfully yours,

HedgeDweller out.... (I have to mow)

311Hog

debating weather or not we get mustain and norman without Gus, is a toss up but i am fairly certain that withouth Gus, Cleveland and Dwill would be gators right now. And imagine our season at the moment without those two.

HedgeDweller

Quote from: KEYS on October 02, 2006, 11:21:36 am
Quote from: HedgeDweller on October 02, 2006, 11:17:18 am
do you REALLY believe that we are ready to run that the whole game?

Yes.  And if given the authority to do so, I have no doubt that's EXACTLY what Gus would do.

Quote from: 311Hog on October 02, 2006, 11:20:50 am
Quote from: HedgeDweller on October 02, 2006, 11:17:18 am
Quote from: KEYS on October 02, 2006, 11:00:34 am
Quote from: HedgeDweller on October 02, 2006, 10:39:03 am
I do believe that the coaches are trying to work the offense in, while trying to give us the best chance to win while doing so.  It is just my opinion, but I feel if we had made a 100% wholesale change, it might have started paying off towards the end of the year, but we would probably be sitting at 0-4 at the moment instead of an admittingly not impressing 3-1, but 3-1 nonetheless.

hog_fan addressed the first part of your post for me (thanks), so I'll move on to this part.  If Gus is the offensive coordinator, shouldn't it be his call?  And how is it that 8th graders who have never played organized football before are capable of learning the HUNH before the season begins?  Did we not use the HUNH for a series against USC?  What 'kinks' did you see in that scoring drive?

And how well do the eighth graders run it their first year in it?
And yes, if Gus is the offensive coordinator, it should be his call, but in every program EVERY thing is subject to the head coach.  In a few cases, where an OC has proven himself (Gus hasn't had the time, or some will say the opportunity to do so yet) then the HC will give ABSOLUTE play calling responsibilites to the OC.  Perhaps that will happen at UA, perhaps not.  I don't know.  But with his job definitely on the line, I cannot blame HDN for wanting to at least be involved with the people that are in effect deciding his future.  You have to 'delegate' to be a sucessful leader, but that doesn't mean you don't have a handle on what's going on.
Yes, the one series that Mitch ran against USC looked good, but do you REALLY believe that we are ready to run that the whole game?  IMO, those were probably the 4-5 plays that they were  at least a little confident in, and with the game already out of hand they decided to see what happened. 
As good as Mitch is, he needs some experience (see the Alabama game) with the speed of SEC defenses before starts calling plays at the LOS.
I understand that the HUNH has nothing to do with formations, it has to do with the speed of the game.  Players have to adjust to that, as well.  I believe that we will and that we will see more and more of it.

You see Hedge there is one factor that alot of people over look. And here it is:

The factors you describe are true for your avg. case of "new" OC hire, where the Head coach is a CEO type and the old OC just wasnt getting the job done.

But in this case there is nothing normal about it, the old OC is in fact the current HC.  And for the last several years all the HEAT on the HC came as direct result of his play calling and him not having a dedicated Offensive Coordinator.

See my point? in typical cases of OC turnover the old OC isnt there anymore, but not in our case the "old OC " is the HC and it is making for an ugly transition.

I understand, and I do agree that HDN loved calling the plays so this has probably been a little more difficult on him.  But I do think even with the difficulty he is trying to make the transition...
Now, my lawnmower awaits me...

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: HedgeDweller on October 02, 2006, 11:30:28 am
BTW, if I'm so out-of-the-know on my assertions, how would I know that while I was replying to this thread Damian, Mitch, and other players were at the VA in Fayetteville visiting Vets and signing autographs? 

Knowing about a trip to the VA (very commendable, I applaud them) and knowing what every body is thinking is quite a bit different.
Look, I admitted that you are in a position to hear more than some of us.
In fact, I bow down to your superior knowledge. :)
I just disagree with you on some points (see my post for specific 'facts') that you state as fact, when I don't believe that they are proveable.  Especially the 'what would have happened' (none would have signed).  I argue that with Mustain and Norman.  I think (notice I didn't state as 'fact') that Norman would've signed no matter what, he wanted to be a Hog.  And I feel that if Wittke had been retained and Malzahn not hired, Mustain would still have signed.  JMHO.
I already know your reply will be that you don't HAVE to 'prove' anything (I've seen it before), but likewise, I don't have to believe things that there is no evidence of proof available.
Respectfully yours,

HedgeDweller out.... (I have to mow)

Your opinion does not make the facts disputable.  Your opinion is just that -- an opinion.  Of course, you'll get the facts again in Kurt Voit's book, so it really doesn't matter to me.

hog_fan

Quote from: GUVHOG on October 02, 2006, 11:29:41 am
Quote from: KEYS on October 02, 2006, 10:18:28 am
THE FACTS:

*  The UA signed great athletes in February on the promise that Gus would be running his offense.

*  If it were not for the promise that Gus' offense would be implemented, none of those players would have signed.

*  There was NEVER any discussion with recruits about "phasing-in" Gus' offense via a "hybrid".

*  Gus' book clearly states you must commit 100% to his philosophy or it won't work.

*  Gus was hired with the assurance that he would run his offense.

*  None of the recruits signed up to play Nuttball or a "hybrid" offense.  They signed to play Gus' HUNH.

*  The current roster has all the players necessary to run the HUNH.  (see HUNH summary stickied at the top of MMQB).

*  If Gus were only hired to sign his players, it is a NCAA recruiting violation as well as being blatently dishonest.

*  Gus was hired as the offensive coordinator but has NOT been allowed to implement his offense.

1. Gus announced the day he was hired that the Hogs would be running a hybrid attack
   that would be a combination of GMs, HDNs, and AWs offenses. GM restated that
   several times during the spring and summer. Not one time has GM stated that the Hogs
   would run only the HUNH.

2. Mike Irwin has confirmed that Gus LIKES the hybrid attack.

3. I've never heard or read where any of the recruits were promised that they would run ONLY
   the HUNH.

Mike Irwin also confirmed that Gus feels the lack of point production is directly related to the fact that Hurry up No Huddle isn't being used.

jhog

Quote from: KEYS on October 02, 2006, 10:18:28 am
THE FACTS:

*  The UA signed great athletes in February on the promise that Gus would be running his offense.

*  If it were not for the promise that Gus' offense would be implemented, none of those players would have signed.

*  There was NEVER any discussion with recruits about "phasing-in" Gus' offense via a "hybrid".

*  Gus' book clearly states you must commit 100% to his philosophy or it won't work.

*  Gus was hired with the assurance that he would run his offense.

*  None of the recruits signed up to play Nuttball or a "hybrid" offense.  They signed to play Gus' HUNH.

*  The current roster has all the players necessary to run the HUNH.  (see HUNH summary stickied at the top of MMQB).

*  If Gus were only hired to sign his players, it is a NCAA recruiting violation as well as being blatently dishonest.

*  Gus was hired as the offensive coordinator but has NOT been allowed to implement his offense.

1. Gus announced the day he was hired that the Hogs would be running a hybrid attack
   several times during the spring and summer. Not one time has GM stated that the Hogs
   would run only the HUNH.

3. I've never heard or read where any of the recruits were promised that they would run ONLY
   the HUNH.

Parts of this are true and parts are not.  There is no way they could implement the entire offense with the current personnel, ie; linemen.  It takes time.  Gus's offense is not something you can throw together in a few months.  They agreed that the best thing would be to implement it along with the current offense.

HogHillbilly

That's too cool...............That's one reason why they will be heros in this state
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

hog_fan

Why was the OL told to get in better shape than they would normally would be told to get in? It was because they needed to be in shape to run the HUNH offense. This crap about phasing it in is bull. They  can run what they are running now with HUNH. Do you people not want to Mitch to play in what he is most comfortable in? Nutt making him line up under center is hurting him and team. Let him do what he is comfortable doing until he can become more comfortable with the speed and reading the offense. nutt and his cronies are the only people not wanting to let Gus run the offense his way? Why can Nutt not even give it a chance? He knows he will be shown up by a highschool coach.

FLKeysGuy

would run only the HUNH.

the HUNH.

1.  Let's take a look at the exact quotes -- not your interpretation of what was being said.  Please provide the links.
2.  Ask Mike what context that was in -- "hybrid vs. Nutt's offense" or "hybrid vs. the HUNH"
3.  Ask the recruits.

HogasaurusRex

I; for one, appreciate that the kids went to see those Vets.  A trip to any VA nursing facility will remind us that as passionate as we are about it; it's just a game.  The fact that they did this should make the news and that might encourage others to remember the Vet's sacrifices on days other than Memorial day and the 4th of July.

CDubyaP

Quote from: KEYS on October 02, 2006, 09:55:06 am
Quote from: PigPusher on October 02, 2006, 09:49:51 am
Malzahn has said a number of times that they are working on a blend of the old offense with the new.  Here they talk about that again.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/nwat/45514/

To me it looks like we are in good hands and it certainly looks like they are on the same page on the hill. It does not look like it is us (Boise boys) against them (Malzahn).

" Offensively, we're not clicking like we need to, " said Malzahn last Tuesday. " So this is very good for us. We're not worried about Auburn. We're worried about ourselves. "

" We've got to do a better job of keeping the defense off the field, " he said. " We have to a better job of mental preparation, physical preparation and do a better job on Saturdays. That's our goal for this week and that's our focus. There is some progress being made. But it's got to be made on Saturdays. "

" We're capable of being a very good offense, " Malzahn said. " It's just a matter of being more consistent. We've just got to show it on Saturdays. "

Which part of Gus' quotes suggests he's embracing the "hybrid" offense?

I don't know...but I can tell you that I giggled like a school girl over this quote,
"Offensively, we're not clicking like we need to, " said Malzahn last Tuesday. " So this is very good for us. We're not worried about Auburn. We're worried about ourselves. "

When was the last time we had someone on the hill say that? Basically saying screw what the other team is doing, if we do what we do, it won't matter????

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HogasaurusRex on October 02, 2006, 11:48:56 am

I; for one, appreciate that the kids went to see those Vets.  A trip to any VA nursing facility will remind us that as passionate as we are about it; it's just a game.  The fact that they did this should make the news and that might encourage others to remember the Vet's sacrifices on days other than Memorial day and the 4th of July.

I think Damian and Mitch visiting the vets means they're going to transfer to Army at semester break.
[CENSORED]!

HogHillbilly

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 02, 2006, 11:52:32 am
Quote from: HogasaurusRex on October 02, 2006, 11:48:56 am

I think Damian and Mitch visiting the vets means they're going to transfer to Army at semester break.

Hey.................There are more than just Army Vets there !
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

GuvHog

Quote from: KEYS on October 02, 2006, 11:46:59 am

would run only the HUNH.

the HUNH.

1.  Let's take a look at the exact quotes -- not your interpretation of what was being said.  Please provide the links.
2.  Ask Mike what context that was in -- "hybrid vs. Nutt's offense" or "hybrid vs. the HUNH"
3.  Ask the recruits.

Keys, Gus stated those things in an interview on TV the day he was hired and has sone so
several times since. There are no links it was on Hog nation with Bo Mattingly.

Mike just simply said GM likes the Hybrid offense, that's all.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

excoach

Let me make a point or two from a coaches point of view. As an assistant, Gus is under Nutt and has to answer to him. It doesn't matter if he was a forced hire or not. It doesn't matter if he has the title of OC. Gus is a true professional who under very difficult circumstance is between a rock and hard place. He was told he would have complete control of the offense. We know now this is not the case. He has been forced by his superior to try and blend his offense with that of Nutts. As an assistant he is not going to sell out Nutt. He's going to play the part of not saying anything negative about Nutt or the program, which is what an assistant is supposed to do. If you read between the lines you can see he's saying the hybrid isn't working with out saying anything negative about Nutt.
We would have had the worst recruiting class ever at Arkansas had it not been for the efforts of Gus and Alex. Mitch would be at N.D., Ben and Damien at Florida, Crawford at LSU, Salters would have chosen another school. All these skilled athletes came to Arkansas because of what Gus promised them. They came here to run the HU NH, not to block. What Gus was promised hasn't happened, what Gus promised to the recruits he brought in hasn't happened.
I don't care what is written in the papers, it's all smoke and mirrors.

ConwayHog

Quote from: PigPusher on October 02, 2006, 09:59:17 am
Quote from: 311Hog on October 02, 2006, 09:57:45 am
Someone please explain to me why our NEW Offensive Coordinator should blend his offense with the "old" offense "laugh" ?

Shouldnt it go more like this? Hire new OC he installs his offense and you go from there?

Because of the running talent we have.

Ignorance at its finest in this response.  Gus' offense has nothing to do with passing/running.  It's a philosophy.  Please see KEYS post on the matter.  Good grief, the thing was sticked for you and you still missed it because of your agenda.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

ConwayHog

Quote from: excoach on October 02, 2006, 12:00:08 pm
Let me make a point or two from a coaches point of view. As an assistant, Gus is under Nutt and has to answer to him. It doesn't matter if he was a forced hire or not. It doesn't matter if he has the title of OC. Gus is a true professional who under very difficult circumstance is between a rock and hard place. He was told he would have complete control of the offense. We know now this is not the case. He has been forced by his superior to try and blend his offense with that of Nutts. As an assistant he is not going to sell out Nutt. He's going to play the part of not saying anything negative about Nutt or the program, which is what an assistant is supposed to do. If you read between the lines you can see he's saying the hybrid isn't working with out saying anything negative about Nutt.
We would have had the worst recruiting class ever at Arkansas had it not been for the efforts of Gus and Alex. Mitch would be at N.D., Ben and Damien at Florida, Crawford at LSU, Salters would have chosen another school. All these skilled athletes came to Arkansas because of what Gus promised them. They came here to run the HU NH, not to block. What Gus was promised hasn't happened, what Gus promised to the recruits he brought in hasn't happened.

If Dale isn't fired at the end of this year, I would transfer if I were those kids.  I don't believe for one minute that if these recruiting promises were made that they will be fulfilled while Dale is here.

Richard_white

Quote from: GUVHOG on October 02, 2006, 11:59:56 am
Quote from: KEYS on October 02, 2006, 11:46:59 am

would run only the HUNH.

the HUNH.

3.  Ask the recruits.

Keys, Gus stated those things in an interview on TV the day he was hired and has sone so
several times since. There are no links it was on Hog nation with Bo Mattingly.

Mike just simply said GM likes the Hybrid offense, that's all.

If Gus likes this so called hybrid offense, wouldn't it contradict what Gus has been doing till now?

BloodRedHog

Quote from: Fresh Legs on October 02, 2006, 12:25:48 pm
Quote from: excoach on October 02, 2006, 12:00:08 pm

If Dale isn't fired at the end of this year, I would transfer if I were those kids.  I don't believe for one minute that if these recruiting promises were made that they will be fulfilled while Dale is here.

I fully expect several transfers at season's end if Nutt is not gone...but the one that matters is Mitch. If Mitch decides it is so bad that is he willing to forego next season and sit out at another D-IA school, Nutt is history.

I believe there will be a mini-coup at season's end and that will be the last straw for JFB and JL. They will cut ties to the MSM and do what it takes to keep GM and MM (Alex is not so important.) The only sticky issue is does JFB give the reigns to GM or bring in a head coach...and will that HC keep GM as OC?
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

GuvHog

2. "Gus is not ticked off by the so called hybrid offense. In fact he feels it helps by giving opposing coaches more to have to defend against."

The above is an exact quote from Mike Irwin in his stickied post at the top.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

excoach

Quote from: GUVHOG on October 02, 2006, 12:38:19 pm
2. "Gus is not ticked off by the so called hybrid offense. In fact he feels it helps by giving opposing coaches more to have to defend against."

LOL. So now Guv you know Gus. How do you know he's not ticked off?? Spoke to him lately??
Quit making statements you can't back up.

Richard_white

Quote from: excoach on October 02, 2006, 12:42:07 pm

LOL. So now Guv you know Gus. How do you know he's not ticked off?? Spoke to him lately??

He gets his info on Gus and company from the Demo-Gazette.

excoach

Quote from: Richard_white on October 02, 2006, 12:43:34 pm
Quote from: excoach on October 02, 2006, 12:42:07 pm

He gets his info on Gus and company from the Demo-Gazette.

gotcha

PulledPork

let's look at the other side of the ball on this matter.....did Reggie (Red) Herring phase in his defense when he took over?  Did Joe Lee Dunn phase in his defense over the first year?  Why should your OC have to phase in and create a "hybrid" offense?  Because Nuttboi® knows his job is on the line and will not let go "of the rope" completely.  He feels that he still has some say so in how plays are called and that he will succeed in spite of Gus.  If Nuttboi® is so smart, why isn't he meddling with Reggie (Red) Herring and the defense?  God knows they could use some help right now! 

Pulled out...®

mckinneyhog

How many games has Gus coached on the college level?  I believe to this date the answer is 4.  How can many of you make predictions on how this offense will work out with a total of 4 games under his belt.  At any job when you are hired on there is an adjustment period, and this is like going from a technician to a manager (high school---college).  I truly believe Gus is a football wizard, and it will start showing towards the end of the season.  For crying out loud this is the SEC he is coaching against.  You can not let Gus have complete control of the offense until he has a basic understanding of the SEC defenses he is going up against.  Houston Nutt is the head coach of U of A, just like a manager is the technicians boss. Until that technician has proven him or herself to move up and take on a managers role, they have to be taught, show they have proven results, and show they can lead a team to succeed.  This is Gus first year as a college coach, let him learn the level of play, and I promise you down the road he will succeed. 

PulledPork

I thought managers were hired or promoted because they already showed the capabilities to do the job?  I am sure, most bosses don't have the time to baby-sit said manager or it would have been a redundant move in the first place.... ???

Pulled out...®

mckinneyhog

PulledPork,
I believe Gus proved himself at a high school level did he not. Take time to read my post throughout next time and you might understand.  I guess by your comments Gus played against SEC caliber high school teams last year. 

Biggus Piggus

You left off the part about the HUNH, young man.
[CENSORED]!

PulledPork

Max,
I don't know what I misread?  You are saying Gus is not capable of being let go as of right now.  What is it about Nutt that says he is the best preceptor Gus can study under?  Nuttboi® can't even run an offense when let loose.....
You are implying that GM can't handle SEC defenses, yet.  What brought you to that conclusion.  He is running Nuttboi'® offense right now and we are barely pulling these games out.  What would it hurt to give the man one whole game to run his show and not Numbnutt'®

And again, you need to comprehend my original post....if you are hired in or promoted to manager from technician, you most likely have shown what it takes to do that particular job.  You don't need someone looking over your shoulder.  Maybe with your scenario, Bill should have hung around and helped George since he just finished 8yrs as CIC (Commander in Chief), George certainly had no experience at it.... ???

Pulled out...®

brodie_hawg

Even the "offensive genius" urban myer at florida said after his first season there that he was going to have to adjust his offensive philosophy after seeing these sec defenses

judgeroyswine

Quote from: mckinneyhog on October 02, 2006, 02:08:10 pm
PulledPork,
I believe Gus proved himself at a high school level did he not. Take time to read my post throughout next time and you might understand.  I guess by your comments Gus played against SEC caliber high school teams last year. 

No, but HDN did and we have all seen how well he has fared with SEC defenses.  
Maybe he doesn't have the best advice to offer.

...Gavel down!
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

judgeroyswine

Quote from: brodie_hawg on October 02, 2006, 02:19:34 pm
Even the "offensive genius" urban myer at florida said after his first season there that he was going to have to adjust his offensive philosophy after seeing these sec defenses

Well, that was because he was running that Ron Zook hybrid...oh, wait.

Never mind.

...Gavel down!
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

mckinneyhog

PulledPork,
I am suggesting Gus needs more time to learn.  I know that Nutt is not the one to lead Gus to this level, as Gus will probaly have to do it on his own.  But with Nutt being the Head Coach of this team, and his job on the line, he is going to be overly cautious before he lets Gus have complete control of the offense, and I believe this is called chain of command.  Pulledpork, would you let someone loose to run your buisness if he or she has not proven themselves?  Wouldn't you like to see what they can do first at that level?  Being a General Manager of a large corporation, I have promoted many people to a management role, and if they do not succeed, you make a change.  Keep in mind, I want Nutt gone just as bad as you, and am in know way supporting him.

mckinneyhog

Quote from: brodie_hawg on October 02, 2006, 02:19:34 pm

I couldn't agree more.

hoghearted

I find it laughable that you think Malzahn could learn anything but the "shuck and jive" from Houston Nutt.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Idahog

Quote from: PigPusher on October 02, 2006, 09:49:51 am
Malzahn has said a number of times that they are working on a blend of the old offense with the new.  Here they talk about that again.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/nwat/45514/

To me it looks like we are in good hands and it certainly looks like they are on the same page on the hill. It does not look like it is us (Boise boys) against them (Malzahn).

Please, don't refer to them as Boise boys, Boise St. did a great job at not having them for more then one losing season.

They are the MSM, Murray boys, Ghestatpo auf Murray St. etc. but they never earned the title of Boise boys.  ;D
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

PulledPork

Quote from: mckinneyhog on October 02, 2006, 02:32:33 pm
PulledPork,
I am suggesting Gus needs more time to learn.  I know that Nutt is not the one to lead Gus to this level, as Gus will probaly have to do it on his own.  But with Nutt being the Head Coach of this team, and his job on the line, he is going to be overly cautious before he lets Gus have complete control of the offense, and I believe this is called chain of command.  Pulledpork, would you let someone loose to run your buisness if he or she has not proven themselves?  Wouldn't you like to see what they can do first at that level?  Being a General Manager of a large corporation, I have promoted many people to a management role, and if they do not succeed, you make a change.  Keep in mind, I want Nutt gone just as bad as you, and am in know way supporting him.
you 're not making sense, man!!  why would I hire someone to run my company without that person showing me something in the past that they were capable?  that would just be stupid!!  I am not labeling you one way or the other, but if you truly hired this person (which I totally doubt Nuttboi® did), you give them the keys to the office and go about your merry way.  You only need to get involved to solve some new problem, promote or fire the person. If Gus was truly hired for his talents, then you need to let him do his job, but if he was hired because someone else said to hire him, then that person doesn't need to be there anymore.

Pulled out...®

mikeirwin

Gus is not the kind to complain.
I will assure you he's not running his offense.
He's calling plays to a hybrid system that includes the spread out of a shotgun minus the HUNH with some I formation plays thrown in.
This is Houston Nutt's decision. You can praise him or blame him but he's calling the shots. The only thing he's given up is the actual play calling duties and he still has a say in that. Honestly I'd describe HDN as the head coach and co-offensive coordinator.
That means Gus Malzahn is the receivers coach and co offensive coordinator.

Nutts and Bolts

Quote from: PigPusher on October 02, 2006, 09:59:17 am
Quote from: 311Hog on October 02, 2006, 09:57:45 am
Someone please explain to me why our NEW Offensive Coordinator should blend his offense with the "old" offense "laugh" ?

Shouldnt it go more like this? Hire new OC he installs his offense and you go from there?

Because of the running talent we have.

The Running game excells even more if we run the HUNH..
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

mikeirwin

Quote from: mckinneyhog on October 02, 2006, 02:32:33 pm
PulledPork,
How can you say that he needs more time to learn when he's not running his offense ?

AltaHog

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 02, 2006, 02:58:51 pm
He's calling plays to a hybrid system that includes the spread out of a shotgun minus the HUNH with some I formation plays thrown in.
This is Houston Nutt's decision. You can praise him or blame him but he's calling the shots. The only thing he's given up is the actual play calling duties and he still has a say in that. Honestly I'd describe HDN as the head coach and co-offensive coordinator.

We have heard of the two-headed Quarterback. Now, Arkansas has the two-headed Offensive Coordinator. Sounds like something you might see at the carnival. Quite appropriate, given the circus atmosphere we currently have on the hill.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Gus Malzahn
" We're capable of being a very good offense, " Malzahn said.

Sounds like another "next year we'll be great" argument.

jhog

Quote from: judgeroyswine on October 02, 2006, 02:21:21 pm
PulledPork,

...Gavel down!

Led SEC in rushing 3 of last 4 years.  Once they implement more of the passing game from Gus and Alex, they will be a force.

PulledPork

Quote from: jhog on October 02, 2006, 03:22:33 pm
Quote from: judgeroyswine on October 02, 2006, 02:21:21 pm
PulledPork,

Led SEC in rushing 3 of the last 4 years.

...Gavel down!
jhog, practice your use of the quote feature, and so what if we have even led the nation in rushing over the last 3-4yrs.  If it doesn't put "W's" on the schedule it is all for not!

Pulled out...®

ArkWilly

It does not matter because whatever happens with Hillis , he will still go pro next year.  I know this for a fact.  He is already Mel Kiper's #1 fullback on the board regardless of class, and he knows that.  If he stayed it would only hurt his draft status.  Peace out!

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: ajs15razorman on October 02, 2006, 03:19:56 pm
Quote from: Gus Malzahn
" We're capable of being a very good offense, " Malzahn said.

Sounds like another "next year we'll be great" argument.

Or maybe it's a "we could be a very good offense if Nutt would allow me to do what I was hired to do rather than forcing me to run this stupid hybrid nonsense" statement. 

Dugann

Nice spin Houston, shouldn't you do a follow up call to NC State?  You know staying in contact is key to getting a interview.  Oh yea when you see Frank plz tell him that we need his resignation on the U of A Presidents desk by the end of the week.  Good luck Saturday think you might pull this one off if Paul is hanging on the goal post again this week.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 02, 2006, 02:58:51 pm
I think that just about ends this ridiculous discussion.  Mike sums it up just as many have thought all along.  Gus may "call" the plays (physically make the calls), but Gus isn't "calling" the plays (decide what plays/formations/strategies will be employed).  Anyone who understands football at all has to see why this won't work.  The plays you run in the first series tell you things about your opponents defensive strategy that allow you to make the correct calls later in the game.  This is an ongoing process from the first snap.  Bill Walsh scripted his first 25-30 plays for exactly this reason.  Without this dynamic in place, Gus cannot make the necassary reads and put the O in the best position to win.