Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All you good old boys that are preaching conspiracy on the Hill please read.

Started by PigPusher, October 02, 2006, 09:49:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PigPusher

Malzahn has said a number of times that they are working on a blend of the old offense with the new.  Here they talk about that again.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/nwat/45514/

To me it looks like we are in good hands and it certainly looks like they are on the same page on the hill. It does not look like it is us (Boise boys) against them (Malzahn).
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: PigPusher on October 02, 2006, 09:49:51 am
Malzahn has said a number of times that they are working on a blend of the old offense with the new.  Here they talk about that again.

To me it looks like we are in good hands and it certainly looks like they are on the same page on the hill. It does not look like it is us (Boise boys) against them (Malzahn).

" Offensively, we're not clicking like we need to, " said Malzahn last Tuesday. " So this is very good for us. We're not worried about Auburn. We're worried about ourselves. "

" We've got to do a better job of keeping the defense off the field, " he said. " We have to a better job of mental preparation, physical preparation and do a better job on Saturdays. That's our goal for this week and that's our focus. There is some progress being made. But it's got to be made on Saturdays. "

" We're capable of being a very good offense, " Malzahn said. " It's just a matter of being more consistent. We've just got to show it on Saturdays. "

Which part of Gus' quotes suggests he's embracing the "hybrid" offense?

williamsB

shut that talk up. You know good and well that the other coaches have vodoo dolls of Gus and stick pins in each day.

HedgeDweller

Quote from: KEYS on October 02, 2006, 09:55:06 am

" Offensively, we're not clicking like we need to, " said Malzahn last Tuesday. " So this is very good for us. We're not worried about Auburn. We're worried about ourselves. "

" We've got to do a better job of keeping the defense off the field, " he said. " We have to a better job of mental preparation, physical preparation and do a better job on Saturdays. That's our goal for this week and that's our focus. There is some progress being made. But it's got to be made on Saturdays. "

" We're capable of being a very good offense, " Malzahn said. " It's just a matter of being more consistent. We've just got to show it on Saturdays. "

Maybe he didn't say it verbatim in this article, but I have heard him say that a few times before also....

HoggyWood

He does say that they need to keep the defense off of the field, which does suggest that they need to control the clock, which the HUNH does not emphasize. Still want to see it though!

311Hog

Someone please explain to me why our NEW Offensive Coordinator should blend his offense with the "old" offense "laugh" ?

Shouldnt it go more like this? Hire new OC he installs his offense and you go from there?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PigPusher

Quote from: 311Hog on October 02, 2006, 09:57:45 am
Someone please explain to me why our NEW Offensive Coordinator should blend his offense with the "old" offense "laugh" ?

Shouldnt it go more like this? Hire new OC he installs his offense and you go from there?

Because of the running talent we have.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

PulledPork

Quote from: williamsB on October 02, 2006, 09:55:47 am
shut that talk up. You know good and well that the other coaches have vodoo dolls of Gus and stick pins in each day.
BUMP!!

Pulled out...®

Hawgasaurus

Quote from: PigPusher on October 02, 2006, 09:59:17 am

Gus doesn't have running plays?
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.

hog_fan

Why can you people not understand that in Gus's offense running is important? The Springdale RB had over 1,000 yards rushing. Let Gus run his offense the way he wants to do and he will have everyone involved. No one wants to pass 40 times a game. We all want balance and Gus can do that if nutt will stop controlling him.

DevilHog

Right now, you have to do the things that help you be the most successful. Our defense is having a ton of trouble getting off the field. If we start seeing some turnovers, and see some three and outs, we will start to see the no huddle. Until then, we will be forced to eat some clock on offense.

311Hog

Quote from: PigPusher on October 02, 2006, 09:59:17 am

That doesnt make any sense, Gus has an offensive philosophy that is what should be used for this team he is THE OC !.

Here let me try and explain it to you further. A company hires you to come in and inject live into their floundering profit margin, are you going to have to use the person who use to have that job idea's and blue prints to get the job done? or wouldnt you be encouraged to use what got you there the (HUNH) and see what happens.

You can run outa the spread prolly as good if not better so sorry your arguement if you can call it that doesnt hold water.

Hawgasaurus

Quote from: hog_fan on October 02, 2006, 10:01:40 am
Why can you people not understand that in Gus's offense running is important? The Springdale RB had over 1,000 yards rushing. Let Gus run his offense the way he wants to do and he will have everyone involved. No one wants to pass 40 times a game. We all want balance and Gus can do that if nutt will stop controlling him.

Thank you!
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.

pork and mindy

Every quote is about execution, not gameplan.

PigPusher

Coach Malzahn and Mitch have said more than once they are working on an offensive philosophy that uses some of the old and blends in the new.  Their words not mine.  A little research will demonstrate that fact.  I did not make it up.  It appears that using the "I" formation  and the backs we have that they are having to make adjustments to Malzahns plans to save what is good and incorporating the new.

Have read nothing from Malzahn or Mitch that would suggest that there is a problem with any of the coaches with this. But yet we debate over and over again the supposed fact that there is much adversity on the Hill among the coaches.  If there is where is it?

hog_fan

Gus was promised that he could run his offense which is the Hurry up no huddle. He than went out and told recruits this. He convinced Mitch, Damian, Ben, and others this would happen even though they had doubts. They prepared during the summer to run this. The OL did extra work to get in shape for it. The players on offense feel they are ready and want to run it. Nutt is refusing to allow this because it goes against everything he believes in which is ball control and keep it close and hope for something good to happen. Herring is whining to Nutt to not let Gus run it cause his d would be on the field to much although I think they could be on the field less. All Herring cares about is having a good defense so he can get another good job. None of the coaches respect Gus with the possible expection of Alex Wood. No, Gus hasn't said this publicly, but people that know him personally know he is not happy. Huggers, Gus and the players along with their parents were flat out lied to. How is this ok? They would have not come here to run  Nutt's piece of junk offense. Mitch needs to be in the shotgun as this is the only thing he knows. Why will Nutt not allow Gus to let Mitch run what he knows best and is most comfortable in. Nutt can't even get the guy a jersery that is comfortable. Frank needs to get off his butt now and do something now.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: PigPusher on October 02, 2006, 10:13:59 am
Coach Malzahn and Mitch have said more than once they are working on an offensive philosophy that uses some of the old and blends in the new.  Their words not mine.  A little research will demonstrate that fact.  I did not make it up.  It appears that using the "I" formation  and the backs we have that they are having to make adjustments to Malzahns plans to save what is good and incorporating the new.

A little research might show that the quotes of both Malzahn and Mustain are as vague as the ones in the article cited in your original post.

hog_fan

What do you expect Gus and Mitch to say? Do you expect to come out and say we are pissed at Nutt? Do you expect them to say they were lied to? Gus is a professional and making the best of a horrible situation.

JJHog

What puzzles me is what little we have seen of the HUNH. Oh well,
" Think Right, Do Right"

FLKeysGuy

THE FACTS:

*  The UA signed great athletes in February on the promise that Gus would be running his offense.

*  If it were not for the promise that Gus' offense would be implemented, none of those players would have signed.

*  There was NEVER any discussion with recruits about "phasing-in" Gus' offense via a "hybrid".

*  Gus' book clearly states you must commit 100% to his philosophy or it won't work.

*  Gus was hired with the assurance that he would run his offense.

*  None of the recruits signed up to play Nuttball or a "hybrid" offense.  They signed to play Gus' HUNH.

*  The current roster has all the players necessary to run the HUNH.  (see HUNH summary stickied at the top of MMQB).

*  If Gus were only hired to sign his players, it is a NCAA recruiting violation as well as being blatently dishonest.

*  Gus was hired as the offensive coordinator but has NOT been allowed to implement his offense.

HedgeDweller

Quote from: KEYS on October 02, 2006, 10:18:28 am
THE FACTS:

*  The UA signed great athletes in February on the promise that Gus would be running his offense.

*  If it were not for the promise that Gus' offense would be implemented, none of those players would have signed.

*  There was NEVER any discussion with recruits about "phasing-in" Gus' offense via a "hybrid".

*  Gus' book clearly states you must commit 100% to his philosophy or it won't work.

*  None of the recruits signed up to play Nuttball or a "hybrid" offense.  They signed to play Gus' HUNH.

*  The current roster has all the players necessary to run the HUNH.  (see HUNH summary stickied at the top of MMQB).

*  If Gus were only hired to sign his players, it is a NCAA recruiting violation as well as being blatently dishonest.

*  Gus was hired as the offensive coordinator but has NOT been allowed to implement his offense.

Some of your facts are very debateable...

PigPusher

This is simply amazing.  I guess we will just let time take care of the question. But of course if the premise that they are all working together for a common good then many of us would not have much to say after that.  For some reason there has to be a big problem on the Hill.  Why is that?

HogHillbilly

The key factor in all of this that some of yall are forgetting......................NUTT................
He won't allow it...........EVER.............Cause then it would prove that he was a failure as a play caller

Or maybe he is afraid if it works too well (which we all know it would)..............Gus would take his job !
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: PigPusher on October 02, 2006, 10:23:46 am
This is simply amazing.  I guess we will just let time take care of the question. But of course if the premise that they are all working together for a common good then many of us would not have much to say after that.  For some reason there has to be a big problem on the Hill.  Why is that?

Frankly, I wish there weren't big problems.  I would love for it to be 'as advertised'.  It isn't.  What is -- is.

bro.coach

All that article proves is that Gus has the intergrity to not blame offensive struggles on other people.

PigPusher

Quote from: KEYS on October 02, 2006, 10:16:26 am
Coach Malian and Mitch have said more than once they are working on an offensive philosophy that uses some of the old and blends in the new.  Their words not mine.  A little research will demonstrate that fact.  I did not make it up.  It appears that using the "I" formation  and the backs we have that they are having to make adjustments to Malians plans to save what is good and incorporating the new.

A little research might show that the quotes of both Malian and Mu stain are as vague as the ones in the article cited in your original post.

Let's use this one then.  Here he says they are blending the old with the new and he does not infer a problem other than they don't have it done yet.

http://www.arsnonline.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3412

It would seem nothing much is left to the imagination.

Richard_white

Quote from: HogHillbilly on October 02, 2006, 10:23:54 am
The key factor in all of this that some of yall are forgetting......................NUTT................
He won't allow it...........EVER.............Cause then it would prove that he was a failure as a play caller

Or maybe he is afraid if it works too well (which we all know it would)..............Gus will take his job !

Exactly.  I believe one of two things are going on for the reason why we haven't used the HUNH yet this season.

1. Gus was only hired to get Mitch and company.
2. Golden Boy is afraid to get shown up by Gus after 8 years of terrifying play calling.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: PigPusher on October 02, 2006, 10:30:02 am
Quote from: KEYS on October 02, 2006, 10:16:26 am
Coach Malian and Mitch have said more than once they are working on an offensive philosophy that uses some of the old and blends in the new.  Their words not mine.  A little research will demonstrate that fact.  I did not make it up.  It appears that using the "I" formation  and the backs we have that they are having to make adjustments to Malians plans to save what is good and incorporating the new.

A little research might show that the quotes of both Malian and Mu stain are as vague as the ones in the article cited in your original post.

Let's use this one then.  Here he says they are blending the old with the new and he does not infer a problem other than they don't have it done yet.

http://www.arsnonline.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3412

It would seem nothing much is left to the imagination.

Where are the quotes of Malzahn and Mustain that support your assertion?  The only quote I found from either was this...

"It'd be kind of dumb to run some stuff that we're not comfortable with," Mustain said. "We definitely have input on it all week. We go over it over and over. If we don't feel comfortable with it, we'll scrap it."

HedgeDweller

Quote from: KEYS on October 02, 2006, 10:22:03 am
Quote from: HedgeDweller on October 02, 2006, 10:21:35 am
THE FACTS:

Some of your facts are very debateable...

Have at it!

How can you be so sure about what every discussion with every recruit was?
How can you be so sure 'none of them would have signed'?
The fact is, you CAN'T say that with certainty.
I do not argue that there was discussion about an offensive change with the recruits most likely, but I can't to profess that as a FACT since I wasn't in on the conversations.  And we are working towards that direction.
I do believe that the coaches are trying to work the offense in, while trying to give us the best chance to win while doing so.  It is just my opinion, but I feel if we had made a 100% wholesale change, it might have started paying off towards the end of the year, but we would probably be sitting at 0-4 at the moment instead of an admittingly not impressing 3-1, but 3-1 nonetheless.

311Hog

That is where i disagree with you, the strength of our schedule is towards the end of the year, not the beginning.  Aside from the USC game which was going to be L regardless, the weakest opponents are at the beginning of the year.  If we have any hope at all of success against the tougher SEC opponents we needed to get the Offense installed and kinks worked out.

Not this bs "hybrid please god let us be lucky" offense.

hog_fan

He didn't mean every single recruits would not have signed. He was referring to Mitch, Williams, Ben, Andrew, Carlton, London. These are guys Gus recruited and told him his offense would be used. Some people know things and he is one of them.

Hawgballz

“ Offensively, we’re not clicking like we need to, ” said Malzahn last Tuesday. “ So this is very good for us. We’re not worried about Auburn. We’re worried about ourselves. ”

“ We’ve got to do a better job of keeping the defense off the field, ” he said. “ We have to a better job of mental preparation, physical preparation and do a better job on Saturdays. That’s our goal for this week and that’s our focus. There is some progress being made. But it’s got to be made on Saturdays. ”

“ We’re capable of being a very good offense, ” Malzahn said. “ It’s just a matter of being more consistent. We’ve just got to show it on Saturdays. ”

Which quote suggests he is not working towards fully implementing his system.  His system was not fully installed in the first year of any of his high school stops, so what makes you think that it would be fully installed in game 4 of his first year of major college football.  It is a work in progress as he a several others have acknowledged.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

HedgeDweller

Quote from: hog_fan on October 02, 2006, 10:46:14 am
He didn't mean every single recruits would not have signed. He was referring to Mitch, Williams, Ben, Andrew, Carlton, London. These are guys Gus recruited and told him his offense would be used. Some people know things and he is one of them.

I will not argue that maybe he is in a position to 'hear' things that some of us don't, but I forgot we are never to doubt or dispute the word of a mod....
If I recall, Mitch committed before there was even a position available to HIRE Malzahn for.  In fact, he decommitted because Wittke was let go was the general reason given.  Again, I am not in a position to KNOW.  :)

HedgeDweller

Quote from: HawgBall06 on October 02, 2006, 10:51:33 am

“ Offensively, we’re not clicking like we need to, ” said Malzahn last Tuesday. “ So this is very good for us. We’re not worried about Auburn. We’re worried about ourselves. ”

“ We’ve got to do a better job of keeping the defense off the field, ” he said. “ We have to a better job of mental preparation, physical preparation and do a better job on Saturdays. That’s our goal for this week and that’s our focus. There is some progress being made. But it’s got to be made on Saturdays. ”

“ We’re capable of being a very good offense, ” Malzahn said. “ It’s just a matter of being more consistent. We’ve just got to show it on Saturdays. ”

Which quote suggests he is not working towards fully implementing his system.  His system was not fully installed in the first year of any of his high school stops, so what makes you think that it would be fully installed in game 4 of his first year of major college football.  It is a work in progress as he a several others have acknowledged.

Ding ding ding... another winner!

Richard_white

Quote from: HedgeDweller on October 02, 2006, 10:54:36 am

I will not argue that maybe he is in a position to 'hear' things that some of us don't, but I forgot we are never to doubt or dispute the word of a mod....
If I recall, Mitch committed before there was even a position available to HIRE Malzahn for.  In fact, he decommitted because Wittke was let go was the general reason given.  Again, I am not in a position to KNOW.  :)

The Fear of the Dog will be released Oct 28.  Get you a copy and you will find out some truth to things.

Biggus Piggus

Do not see how your conclusion is derived from your "evidence."
[CENSORED]!

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: HedgeDweller on October 02, 2006, 10:39:03 am
I do believe that the coaches are trying to work the offense in, while trying to give us the best chance to win while doing so.  It is just my opinion, but I feel if we had made a 100% wholesale change, it might have started paying off towards the end of the year, but we would probably be sitting at 0-4 at the moment instead of an admittingly not impressing 3-1, but 3-1 nonetheless.

hog_fan addressed the first part of your post for me (thanks), so I'll move on to this part.  If Gus is the offensive coordinator, shouldn't it be his call?  And how is it that 8th graders who have never played organized football before are capable of learning the HUNH before the season begins?  Did we not use the HUNH for a series against USC?  What 'kinks' did you see in that scoring drive?

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: HedgeDweller on October 02, 2006, 10:54:36 am

Correct!  You do not know.

judgeroyswine

I notice how Cutcliffe is having to slowly work his offense in with that previous Tennessee model.  NOT!

The whole idea of a slow transition is ridiculous.  

Try this:
  - Trust a guy
  - Hire a guy
  - Let the guy do his job

Then:
  - Good result: Celebrate the guy!
  - Bad result: Fire the guy!

How hard is this?

...Gavel down!
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

snortyann

Agreed but HDN's job is on the line and he will not give up control of the offense. He is in fear mode and his release of emotion after the Bama game I think supports this.

311Hog

the last two posts sum up the contradictory position hog fans find themselves in, logic says you hire a guy you let him do his thing and see what happens, but HDN in his typical fearful fashion isnt letting that process go.

snortyann

My post was reference to 311Hog--like your point. Impliment new offense A.S.A.P.
Lots of input last few mins.!

judgeroyswine

Quote from: stupig on October 02, 2006, 11:07:48 am
Agreed but HDN's job is on the line and he will not give up control of the offense. He is in fear mode and his release of emotion after the Bama game I think supports this.

If indeed, his job on the line, HDN has brought more scrutiny on himself by this hybrid thing than if he had just released the offense to Gus.  At least then, he could have had somewhere to lay the blame besides on himself.

judgeroyswine

oops, just saw your post was in reference to another, my bad.

...Gavel down!

FLKeysGuy

BTW, if I'm so out-of-the-know on my assertions, how would I know that while I was replying to this thread Damian, Mitch, and other players were at the VA in Fayetteville visiting Vets and signing autographs?  

That won't show up until the Channel 7 News this evening.

HedgeDweller

Quote from: KEYS on October 02, 2006, 11:00:34 am

hog_fan addressed the first part of your post for me (thanks), so I'll move on to this part.  If Gus is the offensive coordinator, shouldn't it be his call?  And how is it that 8th graders who have never played organized football before are capable of learning the HUNH before the season begins?  Did we not use the HUNH for a series against USC?  What 'kinks' did you see in that scoring drive?

And how well do the eighth graders run it their first year in it?
And yes, if Gus is the offensive coordinator, it should be his call, but in every program EVERY thing is subject to the head coach.  In a few cases, where an OC has proven himself (Gus hasn't had the time, or some will say the opportunity to do so yet) then the HC will give ABSOLUTE play calling responsibilites to the OC.  Perhaps that will happen at UA, perhaps not.  I don't know.  But with his job definitely on the line, I cannot blame HDN for wanting to at least be involved with the people that are in effect deciding his future.  You have to 'delegate' to be a sucessful leader, but that doesn't mean you don't have a handle on what's going on.
Yes, the one series that Mitch ran against USC looked good, but do you REALLY believe that we are ready to run that the whole game?  IMO, those were probably the 4-5 plays that they were  at least a little confident in, and with the game already out of hand they decided to see what happened. 
As good as Mitch is, he needs some experience (see the Alabama game) with the speed of SEC defenses before starts calling plays at the LOS.
I understand that the HUNH has nothing to do with formations, it has to do with the speed of the game.  Players have to adjust to that, as well.  I believe that we will and that we will see more and more of it.

311Hog

Quote from: HedgeDweller on October 02, 2006, 11:17:18 am
Quote from: KEYS on October 02, 2006, 11:00:34 am

hog_fan addressed the first part of your post for me (thanks), so I'll move on to this part.  If Gus is the offensive coordinator, shouldn't it be his call?  And how is it that 8th graders who have never played organized football before are capable of learning the HUNH before the season begins?  Did we not use the HUNH for a series against USC?  What 'kinks' did you see in that scoring drive?

And how well do the eighth graders run it their first year in it?
And yes, if Gus is the offensive coordinator, it should be his call, but in every program EVERY thing is subject to the head coach.  In a few cases, where an OC has proven himself (Gus hasn't had the time, or some will say the opportunity to do so yet) then the HC will give ABSOLUTE play calling responsibilites to the OC.  Perhaps that will happen at UA, perhaps not.  I don't know.  But with his job definitely on the line, I cannot blame HDN for wanting to at least be involved with the people that are in effect deciding his future.  You have to 'delegate' to be a sucessful leader, but that doesn't mean you don't have a handle on what's going on.
Yes, the one series that Mitch ran against USC looked good, but do you REALLY believe that we are ready to run that the whole game?  IMO, those were probably the 4-5 plays that they were  at least a little confident in, and with the game already out of hand they decided to see what happened. 
As good as Mitch is, he needs some experience (see the Alabama game) with the speed of SEC defenses before starts calling plays at the LOS.
I understand that the HUNH has nothing to do with formations, it has to do with the speed of the game.  Players have to adjust to that, as well.  I believe that we will and that we will see more and more of it.

You see Hedge there is one factor that alot of people over look. And here it is:

The factors you describe are true for your avg. case of "new" OC hire, where the Head coach is a CEO type and the old OC just wasnt getting the job done.

But in this case there is nothing normal about it, the old OC is in fact the current HC.  And for the last several years all the HEAT on the HC came as direct result of his play calling and him not having a dedicated Offensive Coordinator.

See my point? in typical cases of OC turnover the old OC isnt there anymore, but not in our case the "old OC " is the HC and it is making for an ugly transition.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: HedgeDweller on October 02, 2006, 11:17:18 am
do you REALLY believe that we are ready to run that the whole game? 

Yes.  And if given the authority to do so, I have no doubt that's EXACTLY what Gus would do.

GuvHog

THE FACTS:

1. Gus announced the day he was hired that the Hogs would be running a hybrid attack
   that would be a combination of GMs, HDNs, and AWs offenses. GM restated that
   several times during the spring and summer. Not one time has GM stated that the Hogs
   would run only the HUNH.

2. Mike Irwin has confirmed that Gus LIKES the hybrid attack.

3. I've never heard or read where any of the recruits were promised that they would run ONLY
   the HUNH.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!