Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 13, 2024, 02:34:32 pm

BLACK SHIRTS ON ESPN

Started by spehog, September 29, 2006, 04:12:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Quote from: Buster Hog on September 29, 2006, 10:51:24 pm
Well you shirt people had a good day you made it on ESPN.   I hope you are all proud of yourself.

Thanks, I only wish I could have taken some credit for itl.

Buster Hog

Good news ledzep! If you support the black shirts, you can take credit for it and everything that goes with it.
The credit belongs to man who is actually in the arena whose face is marred by dusk, sweat, and blood.

AltaHog

Quote from: LedZepHog on September 29, 2006, 10:57:28 pm
Quote from: Buster Hog on September 29, 2006, 10:51:24 pm
Well you shirt people had a good day you made it on ESPN.   I hope you are all proud of yourself.

Thanks, I only wish I could have taken some credit for it.

No you cannot take credit. That belongs to the head coach who is responsible for the record.

And we should also give credit to those at the University who decided to call attention to the record, and get it printed on the front page, and ultimately on the national news.

HogasaurusRex

Quote from: Buster Hog on September 29, 2006, 11:01:27 pm
Good news ledzep! If you support the black shirts, you can take credit for it and everything that goes with it.
You mean like you Huggers support Nutt and take credit for the last two years?
Get real, I guess "the cloud" is to blame

Brand X Hog Fan

Maybe, just maybe . . . the truth shall set us free! Seems funny that the U of A would be afraid of the facts and still keep Nutt around who is the the genesis of those facts. Makes no sense. I think with all of this pressure, he is gone after this year win or lose. Why stay where he's not wanted?
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: ckhawgu on September 29, 2006, 10:42:48 pm
Just start a not for profit organization and take donations to run off prints of these shirts. Then just give them away.... It could happen!

They can be sold for cost or even a profit, as long as the money goes to a charity. I think the profit should go to the U of A general scholarship fund or the Burls Foundation. Anyone willing to fight the "trademark infringement?"
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Buster Hog

Houston is wanted by 95% of the fans, so why leave.  But more important, I believe he is wanted by the two or three people that count
The credit belongs to man who is actually in the arena whose face is marred by dusk, sweat, and blood.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: Buster Hog on September 29, 2006, 11:16:30 pm
Houston is wanted by 95% of the fans who think the Edsel was a SWEET RIDE!, so why leave.  But more important, I believe he is wanted by the two or three people that count
Fixed that for you.

Brand X Hog Fan

Houston is wanted by 95% of the fans, so why leave.  But more important, I believe he is wanted by the two or three people that count

I'd really like to see a scientific poll on the subject of confidence in HDN(TM) as the head coach.

ColinRagan

How bout some new black t-shirts to protest the U of A stance on the old ones? They could just say "Hey U of A why dont you copyright these nuts"
and have a big arrow pointing down toward the crotch

HogasaurusRex

I like the:
I sued Caleb Larru and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.

HogasaurusRex

Yep, Im pretty sure the wife and kids want him.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: HogasaurusRex on September 29, 2006, 11:27:16 pm
I like the:

Now that's funny!

ColinRagan

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on September 29, 2006, 11:31:18 pm
Quote from: HogasaurusRex on September 29, 2006, 11:27:16 pm
I like the:

Now that's funny!

Does Caleb Larru have his name and likeness copyrighted?...........wouldn't want to get sued by Caleb

AUSTXHOG

Quote from: ColinRagan on September 29, 2006, 11:25:20 pm
How bout some new black t-shirts to protest the U of A stance on the old ones? They could just say "Hey U of A why dont you copyright these nuts"
and have a big arrow pointing down toward the crotch
You need to roll with this one...I'm still laughing.

ColinRagan

Quote from: MikeThrel on September 29, 2006, 11:49:53 pm
Why are you t-shirt people so proud of yourselves for making the football program and university look so stupid.  You're crowing about the t-shirt thing making it on ESPN, but none of the stats are there so what's the point?  Y'all (Dark-WhinyButt-Siders) post things on here all the time about HDN's ego and Herring's ego and Markuson's ego, it seems to me that this is just a way to try to feed your own ego.

Pot, meet kettle.

You're right..................the football program and university already do a pretty good job of making themselves look stupid without any help from Darksiders.

Brand X Hog Fan

Why are you t-shirt people so proud of yourselves for making the football program and university look so stupid.  You're crowing about the t-shirt thing making it on ESPN, but none of the stats are there so what's the point?  Y'all (Dark-WhinyButt-Siders) post things on here all the time about HDN's ego and Herring's ego and Markuson's ego, it seems to me that this is just a way to try to feed your own ego.

Pot, meet kettle.

Well, seems to me the university is the one making themselves look stupid. Did you hear any U of A official refute the claims of the shirt? Hmmmmm, could be because they are irrefutable. All they could do is get their collective panties in a wad over 18 pennies. Lets see, 18 pennies vs a BCS paycheck. Is ANY coach worth the trade?

Arkapigdiesel

Pot, meet kettle.

Damn, you figured me out.  I wish I could get on TV and thump my chest because of my swollen ego due to the 'black shirt' that made national headlines.

The university and the athletic dept. deserve the national embarrassment for trying to strongarm a fan that was fed up by a lackluster coach.  Maybe they will learn that the fan is THE reason as to why there is an athletic dept. to begin with.

Caleb has stones for doing what he did.  Not only did he go a step further than other folks by printing out the shirts, but he didn't run and hide in the corner when the big bad wolf used scare tactics.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: MikeThrel on September 30, 2006, 12:08:59 am
Quote from: Seahawk4ever on September 30, 2006, 12:03:07 am

Pot, meet kettle.

Well, seems to me the university is the one making themselves look stupid. Did you hear any U of A official refute the claims of the shirt? Hmmmmm, could be because they are irrefutable. All they could do is get their collective panties in a wad over 18 pennies. Lets see, 18 pennies vs a BCS paycheck. Is ANY coach worth the trade?

Did you read my post?  The "facts" weren't listed on ESPN, so what's the point!!  I'm not disputing the facts, no one is, and I'm not saying that HDN has done a good job.  But the Dark-WhinyButt-Siders are latching on to this like a newborn to a momma's teet and I don't see the need of crowing so much over nothing. 

You're doing nothing but damage to the football program.  If you're point is to get the "statistics" out to the public, and then the story is printed as UA legal team going after poor innocent fan, and the "statistics" are never mentioned, then what's the point?  There is no point, it's only damage!

First off, why do you attack the darksiders by calling them whiners?  Do you realize this site has a zero tolerance policy for personal attacks and personally i think that falls under it now that i have seen you post that about 4 times?

Ok now that i have addressed that.

Do you have ANY FREAKING IDEA OF WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?  Cause its obvious to me you don't.  Let me give you a timeline.  Shirt idea is born, a few are printed up.  About 15 if i am not mistaken.  They get talked about on the radio and people start asking abou them.  He agrees to print a few for some people.  U of A threatens action.  He doesn't back down.  U of A threatens more action and to take his season tickets.  He backs down.

How is this his fault it went as far as it did?  Did he challenge the U of A?  No he wanted to sell his shirts that he made to his friends.  The U of A is responsible for ALL of this.  They could have let it go, or asked to come to a comprimise.  They did neither.  They threatened to restrict him from purchasing his season tickets. 

This is ridiculous, and you defend this action?  How?  Under what guise do you defend the actions of the U of A?  To threaten to take away a person's season tickets for doing what?  Using HDN's image on the front of a tshirt?  That is what they said he did to attract attention.  So why is that horrible?

Please explain it to me on what using HDN's face was so horrible that he might have been refused tickets in the future.

I will be waiting. 

And if you pull this little personal attack crap again, i will request an immediate ban for no less than 24 hours so knock that crap off.  I don't insult you so i expect the same treatment.

TulsaHogFan

Thrown in jail? For what?  Cause he used Nutts face on a tshirt?

See that's all he did wrong according to the U of A.

The shirts are fine without the pic of Nutt.

So you think he should be put in jail for using Nutts face on a shirt?  Damn what do you think should happen to jaywalkers?

AFWarrior83

:puke: The University for blowing it out of proportion!  >:(
Hogville member since 2005.

AFWarrior83

Pot, meet kettle.

Sound like you're the one whining... Also I bet you are thrilled that we might get a toilet bowl appearance this year!
Hogville member since 2005.

HedgeDweller

Darkers, this is going to backfire on you big time....
Mark my words.
Now, fire away - I can take it.

Chief Mac

Quote from: HedgeDweller on September 29, 2006, 06:03:34 pm
Quote from: three on September 29, 2006, 05:58:58 pm
It's funny to me people like Mississippihog are on here picking on Caleb for having these shirts made, and he's too biased to see what's really going on here.  The UA is bullying a fan because he's not pleased with the coach and let's it be known.  Do you think the money he was profitting from those shirts was more than the amount he donates to the program every year for his season tickets!?!?

This is bogus, people, wake up and pull your head out of the haze.  This program thinks they are bigger than the fans.....I mean slaps!  Without those slaps, there is NO program!!!!

It's okay to put the record or whatever on there, putting HDN's picture is what crossed the line...

He is a public figure for crying out loud. 

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

HedgeDweller

Quote from: GaRZRBCK on September 30, 2006, 08:17:32 am
It's funny to me people like Mississippihog are on here picking on Caleb for having these shirts made, and he's too biased to see what's really going on here.  The UA is bullying a fan because he's not pleased with the coach and let's it be known.  Do you think the money he was profitting from those shirts was more than the amount he donates to the program every year for his season tickets!?!?

This is bogus, people, wake up and pull your head out of the haze.  This program thinks they are bigger than the fans.....I mean slaps!  Without those slaps, there is NO program!!!!

It's okay to put the record or whatever on there, putting HDN's picture is what crossed the line...

WPS

Chris

Yep, he's a public figure - but the University has in thier contract with him rights to his image, just like they do with the Razorback image etc....
That makes it crossing the 'legal' line.  In fairness I doubt that the T Shirt dude realized that.

hogsrmyfav36

You're dreaming newbie.  It's funny how the only HDN supporters I know are the Huggers on this board.  I haven't talked to a single Razorback fan at the games or out in public who is happy with HDN
F&*!NG INTRANET

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: RazorWire ® on September 29, 2006, 05:52:10 pm
Quote from: missippihog on September 29, 2006, 05:38:07 pm
Quote from: CoachJ on September 29, 2006, 05:14:26 pm
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2607558

If he really believed in what he was selling he should have manned up and not gave in. He got punked out by the UA. What a puss.
not gave in to the U of A?  I don't support the shirts but I think the U of A has better lawyers than the guy printing the shirts...
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Chief Mac

September 30, 2006, 08:29:53 am #77 Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 08:31:46 am by GaRZRBCK
Quote from: HedgeDweller on September 30, 2006, 08:22:05 am
Quote from: GaRZRBCK on September 30, 2006, 08:17:32 am

WPS

Chris

Yep, he's a public figure - but the University has in thier contract with him rights to his image, just like they do with the Razorback image etc....
That makes it crossing the 'legal' line.  In fairness I doubt that the T Shirt dude realized that.

BS. Go back and read the original article from wholehogsports.  A lawyer, not associated with either side, said the UA had no grounds to do what they did.  Plus, I'm not so much pissed with that as I am the lying that the UA did.  According to Caleb, the threatened litigation and pulling his tickets, but the UA said that they didn't.

Now I ask you, if he wasn't threatened with anything, why would he give over the remaining t-shirts and agree to stop selling them?

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

HedgeDweller

Quote from: hogsrmyfav36 on September 30, 2006, 08:26:04 am

You're dreaming newbie.  It's funny how the only HDN supporters I know are the Huggers on this board.  I haven't talked to a single Razorback fan at the games or out in public who is happy with HDN

Yeah, newbie.  Don't you know that the entire WORLD is dark?

HedgeDweller

September 30, 2006, 08:32:26 am #79 Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 08:34:26 am by HedgeDweller
"University attorney Scott Varady said Nutt's contract gives the
school control over his image, name and likeness, none of which can
be used for commercial gain without permission from the school."

"Varady said Larru also violated school policy by selling the
shirts on campus."

"Varady said he didn't threaten legal action or to revoke Larru's
tickets, but he didn't rule out the possibility."

Chief Mac

Quote from: HedgeDweller on September 30, 2006, 08:32:26 am

shirts on campus."

How about this?

"Sheldon Steinbach, a lawyer for the American Council on Education in Washington D. C., said Nutt is a public figure and that he didn't believe a caricature likeness of him could be protected by law. It would be "a real stretch" for Arkansas ' argument to stand up legally, he said.

"Regardless of the legal ramifications, it seems to be a gross overreaction," Steinbach said of Arkansas' opposition to the shirt. "... The negative fallout of having raised the issue will exceed any benefit they hoped to achieve."

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/168121/

WPS

Chris

Chief Mac

shirts on campus."

shirts on campus."

shirts on campus."

It finally got to the point where they were going to take it to court, and what they proposed was if I turned in the shirts they wouldn't seek legal action and wouldn't take my tickets," Larru said.

Read the whole article, not just what defends this stupid act by the UA.

Since you have yet to answer my question, I will pose it again.

IF THE UA DID NOT THREATEN CALEB IN ANY WAY, WHY WOULD HE CEASE TO SELL THE SHIRTS AND GIVE THE REST TO THEM??

WPS

Chris

WilsonHog

Quote from: GaRZRBCK on September 30, 2006, 08:36:39 am
“... The negative fallout of having raised the issue will exceed any benefit they hoped to achieve.”

I would say Mr. Steinbach nailed that one to the wall.

HedgeDweller

Quote from: GaRZRBCK on September 30, 2006, 08:36:39 am

shirts on campus."

How about this?

"Sheldon Steinbach, a lawyer for the American Council on Education in Washington D. C., said Nutt is a public figure and that he didn't believe a caricature likeness of him could be protected by law. It would be "a real stretch" for Arkansas ' argument to stand up legally, he said.

"Regardless of the legal ramifications, it seems to be a gross overreaction," Steinbach said of Arkansas' opposition to the shirt. "... The negative fallout of having raised the issue will exceed any benefit they hoped to achieve."

WPS

Chris

You think it's unusual to find a lawyer that would disagee?  Heck, that's what they are PAID to do...
By the way, whose brother is that?

HedgeDweller

Quote from: GaRZRBCK on September 30, 2006, 08:39:14 am

shirts on campus."

shirts on campus."

shirts on campus."

It finally got to the point where they were going to take it to court, and what they proposed was if I turned in the shirts they wouldn't seek legal action and wouldn't take my tickets," Larru said.

IF THE UA DID NOT THREATEN CALEB IN ANY WAY, WHY WOULD HE CEASE TO SELL THE SHIRTS AND GIVE THE REST TO THEM??

WPS

Chris

You don't have to yell.  Have a prozac and chill.
As far as whether the dude was 'threatened' or not - why don't you just ask him?
The whole concept of a 'threat' is subject to debate itself.
If you break a rule (put aside whether or not you think the rule is 'fair' or not, but it is an established rule) and you are told what the consequences of breaking that rule are, I guess you can call that a 'threat' if you want to.  Far worse than being 'threatened' would be having the consequences applied to you without being warned beforehand of what the effects of breaking the rules are...

Chief Mac

Quote from: HedgeDweller on September 30, 2006, 08:48:01 am

shirts on campus."

shirts on campus."

shirts on campus."

It finally got to the point where they were going to take it to court, and what they proposed was if I turned in the shirts they wouldn’t seek legal action and wouldn’t take my tickets,” Larru said.

WPS

Chris

As far as whether the dude was 'threatened' or not - why don't you just ask him?
If you break a rule (put aside whether or not you think the rule is 'fair' or not, but it is an established rule) and you are told what the consequences of breaking that rule are, I guess you can call that a 'threat' if you want to.  Far worse than being 'threatened' would be having the consequences applied to you without being warned beforehand of what the effects of breaking the rules are...

Look, you and the rest of the Nutt-nation, huggers, or whatever can spin this anyway you want, but the fact is he stopped doing what the UA wanted.  Reason?  Just out of the goodness of his heart? Nope.  He was threatened.  PERIOD.  Telling someone they will lose something if they don't do what you want, regardless of the parameters, is a THREAT.

THe UA was a bully b/c people were expressing their opinion of a PUBLIC figure.

WPS

Chris

WPS

HedgeDweller

Quote from: GaRZRBCK on September 30, 2006, 08:53:25 am

shirts on campus."

shirts on campus."

shirts on campus."

It finally got to the point where they were going to take it to court, and what they proposed was if I turned in the shirts they wouldn’t seek legal action and wouldn’t take my tickets,” Larru said.

WPS

Chris

Look, you and the rest of the Nutt-nation, huggers, or whatever can spin this anyway you want, but the fact is he stopped doing what the UA wanted.  Reason?  Just out of the goodness of his heart? Nope.  He was threatened.  PERIOD.  Telling someone they will lose something if they don't do what you want, regardless of the parameters, is a THREAT.

WPS

Chris

WPS

By the way, although I get branded a 'hugger' because I don't follow the darksider 'party line', I am somewhere in the middle.  Call me a fence straddler or whatever names you want to... I am not happy with how the last couple of years have gone either, but anybody with two eyes could see it coming and knows what the cause of it was.... Something that was more Franks fault than HDN's.
I am part of a quietly growing groundswell of those however who are sick and tired of the 'darksiders' constant venom and opinion that THEY are the only ones who are 'right' and everybody else is an idiot.  This t shirt deal has only quickened that groundswell, and it is not going to be growing 'quietly' much longer.
HDN's job is on the line this year.  And that is fair.  Most people expect a certain number of wins or he is gone.  That number varies by who you talk to but it seems to range in the 7 or 8 win area.  Of course there are those who would want the bar set higher, and I for one would like to see a 9 or 10 win season.  But we are not the ones who set that bar.
What is NOT fair is folks that are trying to do their best to disrupt this team and season in hopes that they can cause enough dissension to produce enough losses to ensure that the man they hate for some reason, HDN, is fired.
The proper and fair thing is to support this team, let the season play out, let the chips fall where they may.   
Right now is not the time, nor the place, for all this.
As far as t shirt dude, I think other than a minor lack of judgement in doing the shirt thing, he probably is an intelligent person and weighed all the facts after confronted (or as darksiders say 'threatened') and made the proper decision.   I defend his right to state his opinion, but there are sometimes boundaries you have to stay within while doing it.  Unfortunately, it appears he perhaps unknowingly stepped across a couple of them. 

WestMemphisHogFan

October 05, 2006, 07:00:12 am #87 Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 07:01:45 am by WestMemphisHogFan
Quote from: hogsrmyfav36 on September 30, 2006, 08:26:04 am

That's wild, because the exact opposite is true for me.  The people I sit around and talk with at the ball games SUPPORT HDN.  I think it's a case of "birds of a feather" and finding what you look for.  I hang with those who are not as uptight about HDN being fired, and I KNOW you hang with at least one who wants HDN gone NOW at the ball games. (He's a friend of both of ours)  While the people I sit with at the game is my friends and family, that have the same thoughts that I do of waiting to see how this season plays out.  I believe that there are a lot of HDN supporters still left (those who at least want to allow this season to play out before a change comes), but a GROWING number of those who are ready for a coaching change NOW.

hoggerdinger

I think all of this is juvenile.

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: hoggerdinger on October 05, 2006, 07:22:00 am
I think all of this is juvenile.

Only because we aren't talking about FIRE STAN HEATH NOW.  Right? ;D

jdhoover

Quote from: hogmary on September 29, 2006, 04:17:39 pm
If Arkansas were so "image conscious", HDN and SH would not be coaches here.

That is not a true or fair statement.  Both men bring class to the University.
Don't mistake my support of the Razorbacks and their coaches with the acceptance of mediocrity.

HogSophist

Quote from: missippihog on September 29, 2006, 05:39:44 pm
Quote from: TechHawg on September 29, 2006, 05:34:56 pm
His record is not the point here. The point here is that he is degrading our team, now in front of the whole country, while our head coach is trying to fix the problems.

Where are all those that come on here saying don't talk about players because that will hurt recruiting? I'm sure recruits love to see crap like this on ESPN and would love to come to Arkansas. Hypocrites.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA.....I think the facts on the back hurt recruiting more!!!
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

HogSophist

Quote from: HedgeDweller on September 30, 2006, 09:10:14 am
Quote from: GaRZRBCK on September 30, 2006, 08:53:25 am

shirts on campus."

shirts on campus."

shirts on campus."

WPS

Chris

WPS

Chris

WPS

By the way, although I get branded a 'hugger' because I don't follow the darksider 'party line', I am somewhere in the middle.  Call me a fence straddler or whatever names you want to... I am not happy with how the last couple of years have gone either, but anybody with two eyes could see it coming and knows what the cause of it was.... Something that was more Franks fault than HDN's.
I am part of a quietly growing groundswell of those however who are sick and tired of the 'darksiders' constant venom and opinion that THEY are the only ones who are 'right' and everybody else is an idiot.  This t shirt deal has only quickened that groundswell, and it is not going to be growing 'quietly' much longer.
HDN's job is on the line this year.  And that is fair.  Most people expect a certain number of wins or he is gone.  That number varies by who you talk to but it seems to range in the 7 or 8 win area.  Of course there are those who would want the bar set higher, and I for one would like to see a 9 or 10 win season.  But we are not the ones who set that bar.
What is NOT fair is folks that are trying to do their best to disrupt this team and season in hopes that they can cause enough dissension to produce enough losses to ensure that the man they hate for some reason, HDN, is fired.
The proper and fair thing is to support this team, let the season play out, let the chips fall where they may.  
Right now is not the time, nor the place, for all this.
As far as t shirt dude, I think other than a minor lack of judgement in doing the shirt thing, he probably is an intelligent person and weighed all the facts after confronted (or as darksiders say 'threatened') and made the proper decision.   I defend his right to state his opinion, but there are sometimes boundaries you have to stay within while doing it.  Unfortunately, it appears he perhaps unknowingly stepped across a couple of them. 

the u of a brought this one on themselves. had they not acted, those shirts would have never hit the media, much less be reprinted in several outlets.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog