Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Hogs Blitz Gamecocks QB?

Started by Mike Irwin, October 02, 2017, 09:57:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Is this the game where we finally see some of those 3-4 blitz packages talked about since last spring?

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/will-hogs-blitz-gamecocks-qb/823220670

Dr. Starcs

regi

I am going to say....no. Bret rushes 3, maybe 4, drops 8 or 7. Just who he is and what he wants.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

IronHog

No.

They may rush 2 or less most of the game though.....
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

theFlyingHog

Would be less surprised to see no rush than blitzes. We definitely do not have a staff that subscribes to 1930s German warfare strategy

twistitup

We are what we are - we aren't going to change everything now. We are struggling to grasp the current concepts - why would we make it more complex?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: twistitup on October 03, 2017, 10:05:30 am
We are what we are - we aren't going to change everything now. We are struggling to grasp the current concepts - why would we make it more complex?
I haven't seen much to say that we're struggling to grasp the concepts. Certainly not anymore than last year's defense.

Danny J

Quote from: regi on October 02, 2017, 11:14:55 pm
I am going to say....no. Bret rushes 3, maybe 4, drops 8 or 7. Just who he is and what he wants.
Yep...through 3 different DC's and 2 different base defenses. Bend but don't break D works great if you are able to keep guys in front of you, set the edge and tackle. We play bend but don't break and still give up the big plays.

twistitup

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 03, 2017, 10:35:29 am
I haven't seen much to say that we're struggling to grasp the concepts. Certainly not anymore than last year's defense.

I was giving them the time, there is a learning curve to learning a new D.

If they are NOT still learning and have a grasp on all the concepts, then they are simply not very good.

Bacon_Bitz

I heard we are gonna drop 9 and rush 2 this weekend.

tannerstahl

I'm all about rushing 6 and playing man coverage every play lol ...I can live with getting beat man to man, but I hate seeing us rush 3 and getting picked apart in zone coverage cause the QB has all day to wait for something to open up lol but regardless, I support my HOGS and our coaches! WoooPig!!!

i love the hogs....so very very much

247Hog

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on October 03, 2017, 12:59:16 pm
I heard we are gonna drop 9 and rush 2 this weekend.

Might as well rush 1 and drop 10. Can't wait to see it  :P
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

jacobp

I think we will blitz him a bit. Need to be selective because they run shotgun every play, but if we can get to him a couple times early it will bode well for us.
I just watched their game with Texas A&M and I'm convinced there's no way he's completely healthy. He didn't know where he was adter the next to last play of the game

VirginiaHog

We blitzed last week. I assume we will do about the same this week. Similar offense.

apcapri

If by blitz you mean stand back and watch the QB hit open targets? Then I say yes...we will blitz that way.

BigE_23

Nope. More of the same stupid rush 3 drop 8, bend and do break BS we've seen from a Bert coached team.

I wish to God we had a coach with an aggressive philosophy about rushing the QB. This passive garbage we have to endure each week makes me wanna puke.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: apcapri on October 03, 2017, 07:46:46 pm
If by blitz you mean stand back and watch the QB hit open targets? Then I say yes...we will blitz that way.
This is my non-signature signature.

Theolesnort

Quote- "On the flip side of it we've got to do a better job of executing our plan and make sure we don't give up any deep balls." That right there gives you your answer. We will never develop a mano mano take no prisoners defense that is rough and tough if we continue to play passive defense like we have the last couple of years. As Sherlock would say "elementary my dear Watson." So to Mike's question I would say no.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

HF#1

They should given the current state of South Carolina's offensive line. Will they? Who the hell knows.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 02, 2017, 09:57:20 pm
Is this the game where we finally see some of those 3-4 blitz packages talked about since last spring?

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/will-hogs-blitz-gamecocks-qb/823220670
Why now? If not vs TCU and A&M, only reason it will happen now is because there is nothing left to try as well as nothing left to lose.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hawgdavis

Man I hope so, I would love to see them run a sell out blitz about 10 or more times and run blitz often as well. I want to see aggression, ruthless aggression with intent to destroy.

Rayzback

Didn't they give up 7 sacks last weekend, and isn't their oline pretty banged up?

Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

WPS2k18

We would be dumb not to send more pressure. So Coach Rhoads sends lots of pressure and often.My prediction:Sosa gets 3 Sacks rest of the defense 2. Woo Pig. ;D
Im calling it now... Hogs 2047 National Champs.

longpig

Bret Arnold doesn't have cards to hold close to the vest, aces up his sleeve......  We saw what we're getting in the first 4 games this season just like we did the previous seasons.  Will this be the first embarrassing loss of a string of embarrassing losses for 2017 season is a better question.  Muschamp is the smarter idiot.
Don't be scared, be smart.

RazorbackEagle1996

Defense has always played soft I believe that Randy Ramsey is am elite defensive player he just doesn't have the will or want to do it. 3-4 the line isn't good enough a guard and tackle can double team Sosa all game NG sucks. Playing conservative just isn't gonna work gonna have to get pressure in the back field some how.

logic

The Blitz is wonderful when it works, but terrible when it results in a quick touchdown.

HeathWimp

11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

ChicoHog

I think we will blitz a lot if we cannot get pressure from standard defense.  Less mobile QB than last few games.   Not nearly as dangerous out of the pocket.  You guys want to blitz all the time and more often than not you get burned if it's a mobile guy. 

swineology

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 02, 2017, 09:57:20 pm

I'd like to see more blitzes and stunts. What we'll probably see is more of the Willy Robinson bend don't break

nwahogfan1

Boy I would love for our defense to come after their young Qb with several different blitz packages but I do not expect it. Just more of the same.

Pigasaurus

Since we aren't playing a mobile QB (finally ) I hope we do.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

AirWarren

Quickdraw

Quote from: Danny J on October 03, 2017, 11:17:53 am
Yep...through 3 different DC's and 2 different base defenses. Bend but don't break D works great if you are able to keep guys in front of you, set the edge and tackle. We play bend but don't break and still give up the big plays.

I agree. Brett is sold on the fact of not blitzing so we can slow them down by not letting anything get behind our defensive backs. And let his offense win the game. The problem on offense they can't establish a running game because we abandon the running game when it gets a little tuff and start passing. Another problem on offense is they start with a pretty good game plan the first half but become very predictable play calling in the second half.

Hogs run wild

i say yes. we didn't blitz tcu cause Hill could run and same with Mond from a&m. this guy can run a bit too but not as effective as the other 2.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

jm

We sat back and allowed one of the worst rated QB's in the nation look like a Heisman candidate; I expect the same today

SPAL

Quote from: jm on October 07, 2017, 10:35:42 am
We sat back and allowed one of the worst rated QB's in the nation look like a Heisman candidate; I expect the same today

Which one was that? The last 3 QBs we have faced we're in the top 70 in the nation out with Mond being the lowest at 69. Hill was #7 and Rogers somewhere in the 50's. So which one is the worst rated in the nation?

LZH

That would only mean we have one or two less kids in the second level to miss a tackle.  We all knew there would be major growing pains with this defense. But we are slow.

HognotinMemphis

I noted that most of the time, SC rushed 4 and not infrequently sent a 5th. Arkansas rushed 3 most of the time. I'm sure they rushed 4 on occasion but I never saw it. SC won the game and destroyed and overwhelmed our O line and blocking backs. SC won the game with 3 defensive TD's. They pressured AA almost every pass attempt.

So what I see is the Ark DC not rushing more than 3. Why? Simple...because he has zero confidence in doing so given the personnel. Otherwise, he would rush 4 or 5 and blitz on occasion. This staff cannot get defensive players of adequate talent to come to Arkansas. That is a problem.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

presidenthog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 07, 2017, 11:39:24 pm
I noted that most of the time, SC rushed 4 and not infrequently sent a 5th. Arkansas rushed 3 most of the time. I'm sure they rushed 4 on occasion but I never saw it. SC won the game and destroyed and overwhelmed our O line and blocking backs. SC won the game with 3 defensive TD's. They pressured AA almost every pass attempt.

So what I see is the Ark DC not rushing more than 3. Why? Simple...because he has zero confidence in doing so given the personnel. Otherwise, he would rush 4 or 5 and blitz on occasion. This staff cannot get defensive players of adequate talent to come to Arkansas. That is a problem.

We rushed 5, and even 6 on occasion. What would happen  is we would never get close to Bentley and he would just freak out thinking we didn't suck and would get to him. He would throw it high for an incompletion.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: twistitup on October 03, 2017, 12:56:38 pm
I was giving them the time, there is a learning curve to learning a new D.

If they are NOT still learning and have a grasp on all the concepts, then they are simply not very good.
This new defense was merely a gimmick to buy Bielema more time. Now he can say, "oh we don't have the type of talent to run this defense, we have to recruit the right type of player"....which adds another 3 to 4 years to his honeymoon with Jeffie Long. And, "the band plays on".
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: presidenthog on October 08, 2017, 12:16:17 am
We rushed 5, and even 6 on occasion. What would happen  is we would never get close to Bentley and he would just freak out thinking we didn't suck and would get to him. He would throw it high for an incompletion.
The 3 defensive series I watched in the 2nd half when the game was more critical, we never rushed more than 3. When exactly did Ark rush 5 and 6 ?

DeltaBoy

Nope this bunch can  only blitz the training table.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ChicoHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 08, 2017, 08:34:51 am
The 3 defensive series I watched in the 2nd half when the game was more critical, we never rushed more than 3. When exactly did Ark rush 5 and 6 ?
We did a lot actually.  Most of the time Bentley threw it up to one one one coverage on the sideline and ball fell incomplete.  a couple times SC picked up blitzers and he completed short pass.  It worked ok.  The problem with the game was our offense.  Just like TCU game.