Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Broadhead question

Started by root_hawg, November 29, 2015, 02:07:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

root_hawg

What do you guys use?  Shot the Rage and liked it but hate that the little rubber thing breaks every time you shoot it.  Suggestions?

theFlyingHog

G5 montec has been good to me. Wish I could post pics from my phone

Albert Einswine

160 gr STOS 2 blade glue on. It's a deer slayer.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

JaketheSnake

Those are replaceable on the Rages. Try grim reaper expandables for big cuts or Slick Trick 1"1/8 mag if you want a fixed

Tigerloather

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 30, 2015, 10:09:19 pm
Those are replaceable on the Rages. Try grim reaper expandables for big cuts or Slick Trick 1"1/8 mag if you want a fixed
I've been very satisfied with the grim reapers.
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity - Frank Leahy

JIMMY BOARFFETT

When I quit sharpening my own (Zwickey Black Diamonds), I went to Slick Trick, 1 1/8", 125 grain with excellent results.

http://slicktrick.net/products/broadheads
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Virgil

Expandable's and I have no preference on brand as long as it is a 100 grains. 
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

Hollis wood

I have shot Rocket Ultimate Steel 100gr for years, only lost one deer (my fault, marginal shot) but I believe they quit making them. Ordered some Magnus black hornets that should be arriving today, hope to break one in this weekend.

Buff

I only upgraded from the Muzzy MX-4 to try the Slick Tricks

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Virgil on December 16, 2015, 03:40:58 pm
Expandable's and I have no preference on brand as long as it is a 100 grains. 
Need to have the right setup on Expandables though.  Dont want to be shooting 50lbs on a 26" arrow shooting an expandable. 

tophawg19

it is hard to be muzzy but i like mechanical broadheads .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Carl Lazlo

125 grain shuttle t on a 340 FMJ.  Pulling 69 lbs single cam pse 29" draw.  Last buck I killed was at 35 yards.  Got a complete pass through which is what I am personally after. Arrow buried almost up to vanes in soft soil.  Killed doe last week at 7 steps.  It was devastating.  Arrow exited the middle of her right shoulder.  Damaged all the blades but they're replaceable and broke nock.  These broad heads fly super quiet unlike say a slick trick and are deadly accurate. 

grayhawg

Seems there is always a new and better expandable broadhead. I just went back to my traditional 100 grain NAP Thunderheads. I shot a 75lb doe and it looked like you had poured blood out of cup for 30 yards where she went down. So I have decided to just stick with those instead of chasing after something new every year.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: grayhawg on December 24, 2015, 09:09:29 am
Seems there is always a new and better expandable broadhead. I just went back to my traditional 100 grain NAP Thunderheads. I shot a 75lb doe and it looked like you had poured blood out of cup for 30 yards where she went down. So I have decided to just stick with those instead of chasing after something new every year.

Those were what I shot back when I still used a compound. Great heads.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Carl Lazlo

Yep thunderheads are tried and true.  Know several guys that have stayed with them over the years.

Hollis wood

Quote from: Hollis wood on December 17, 2015, 06:30:42 am
I have shot Rocket Ultimate Steel 100gr for years, only lost one deer (my fault, marginal shot) but I believe they quit making them. Ordered some Magnus black hornets that should be arriving today, hope to break one in this weekend.
The Magnus black hornets were impressive. Very nice blood trail, deer traveled less than 70 yards. Broad head still looks new, clean it up, resharpen and it's back in the quiver.