Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stars not always pretty, rankings not always true

Started by Pathological, February 04, 2012, 01:14:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pathological

I am pleading for some of you guys to keep a little perspective.  The sky is not falling.  There are a lot of things to consider.  For instance, 2008 best receiver we signed was Jarius Wright, ranked #44 in country by espnu. Go look at the same list write down the names of the Top 20 and google them. Sure, yes there is Julio Jones and A.J. Green and others who are now in NFL.  There are also many guys like this:

Brice Butler, rank #4, USC:  In 3 years caught 41 passes for 554 yards and 3 tds.  transferred to SDSU

Dan Buckner, rank #6, TX:  arrested, kicked off team, transfer to Arizona

T.J. Lawrence, #10, Florida:  poor playing time, transferred to Fla A&M

Darryl Stonum, #14, Michigan: kicked off team after time in jail

Jameel Owens, #15, OU:  kicked off team, transfer to Tulsa, kicked off team again

I didn't look at them all, but this is enough to show that the highest rated kids don't always pan out.
So, this year, we didn't beat Bama or LSU...
But look at this too.  By Scout's assessment, this year we beat 6 teams that in 2009 had higher rated recruiting classes.  We beat 5 teams that in 2010 had higher rated recruiting classes.  TXA&M has had a higher recruiting ranking than Arkansas every year since at least 2007.  TN had a higher rated class in 2009, 2010, and 2011.  Auburn had a higher rated class in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.  South Carolina had a higher rated class in 2009, 2010 and 2011.
In the Sugar Bowl last year we could've-should've won against Ohio St.  No glory though.  But going by the recruiting rankings, we shouldn't have even been on the same field as them:
2007: Osu rated 16, ark 34
2008: osu rated 4, ark 24
2009: osu rated 1, ark 20
2010: osu rated 20, ark 35
They beat us by an average class ranking or 18 places, yet it still took them a last minute stand in the red zone to win.
No other coach this year in the country took the #24, #20, #35 and #17 rated classes and molded them into a team that finished #5 in the country except Petrino.  So what...his recruiting classes have not gotten ranked higher year after year, but on the field, his teams have gotten better and better and this year, Arkansas finished with its highest ranking in the final polls since 1977.  And you guys want to suggest that our coaching staff needs help? We need a new recruiting coordinator?
Gripe and moan and complain all you want about our recruiting rankings.  By I feel it is fair to believe that until Petrino's teams start not showing up ready to play or players don't develop or are getting kicked off for grades or arrests...he has my vote of confidence.  And he, this coaching staff and this team deserve more respect than is being pushed around this board lately.  And watching the growth and development of the teams under Petrino and seeing the record on the field improve every year is not settling for mediocrity.  It's being patient.