Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Play Real Baseball in Northwest Arkansas! 18+, 28+, 38+ Leagues Forming Now!

Started by RazorDrummer, January 20, 2005, 10:05:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorDrummer

For those of you that did not know...The Northwest Arkansas chapter of the Men's Senior/Adult Baseball League will be starting its 14th season this spring.  We play real, competitive, MLB style baseball right here in your home towns of Springdale, Bentonville, Fayetteville, Rogers, etc.  This will be my eighth season as a player-coach and third full season as President of the NWAMSBL and I am excited to report that we should have about 20 teams for the 2005 season.  However, we would love to have all of you baseball fans and former players come take a few grounders and some BP during our new player workouts in April. 

The MSBL is the largest adult amateur baseball organization in the world founded in 1986 by Steve Sigler.  Our league started in 1991 and has been steadily growing.  For all of you that thought your days of playing baseball ended after high school, legion, or college?  Didn't make the Show?  Well, this is your chance to keep the dream alive playing America's Pastime.  We have all sorts of folks in our league of over 340 members...Doctors, Lawyers, Construction Workers, Business Owners, Salesmen, Ditch Diggers, etc...

If you are like me and get antsy when pitchers and catchers get called up...you start digging your mit out of the garage, give it a good smell, and ask a kid for a game of catch...then the NWAMSBL is for you. 

Log on to www.nwamsbl.com for constant updates and information about how you can join one of our Town Teams.  It's great fun and it is guaranteed to make you feel like a kid again.

Best Regards,

Stephen Boudreaux--President
www.nwamsbl.com
www.oreoblue.com (My Band)
www.theuncrownedkings.com (My other band)
www.honeyjackband.com (the new band 2016)
www.nwamsbl.com (Play Baseball in NWArkansas)
www.nwasox.com (My Team)

maniax22bolts20

Will yall play in the tournament in Rickwood Field, Birmingham in September ?

RazorDrummer

Our teams generally play in tournaments all over the country.  They are pay-to-play, obviously, so travel is taken into consideration.  I am not familiar with the Birmingham tournament, but September is the end of our local season, so it could be considered. 

The MSBL was formed for guys who "could" this and "used to" that.  But, RazorRichard, you are correct that injuries do occur to those whose reaction times have fallen off a bit. 

Thanks for posting, though, and help me spread the word about our leagues in NWArkansas.  Baseball is a great sport and it is still fun for those of us in the league.  I know there are hundreds of others who don't know about our league who would love to play.
www.nwasox.com (My Team)

RazorDrummer

In response to maniax22bolts20, I did a little poking around about the Rickwood Tournament...What a cool place.  I thought I had seen it before, and now I know where.  Rickwood was used in a documentary I saw about the Negro Leagues and although I didn't notice at the time, it was also used in the movie "Cobb".  It is the oldest standing ballpark in America.  I think a road trip is in order to visit this place.  Great baseball history.

pictures:
http://www.baseballroadtrip.net/Other/Rickwood/Rickwood.html

http://www.rickwood.com/

http://www.baseballparks.com/MustSeeRickw.asp
www.nwasox.com (My Team)

maniax22bolts20

Glad to help. I read that there was supposed to be a tournament at Rickwood in September last week.Hope you all can make it there then. Opened in 1910 as a smaller version of Forbes Field in Pittsburgh. Grandstand covered entirely other than the first 2 or 3 rows. The Barons still play there one game a year normally in Mid-June and I saw the Rickwood Classic as its called last year. Its normaly starts 1130am-1pm. Not sure when it could be scheduled but I would reccomend trying to schedule a tournament at Ray Winder Field (LR), Bosse Field(Evansville Indiana) and Engel Stadium (Chattanooga,TN) as far as historical fields go. I could list lots more. I love most of the newer parks too.

RazorDrummer

UPDATE:  The Northwest Arkansas Men's Senior/Adult Baseball League will be holding its first round of tryouts on Sunday, April 17th at 2:00pm CST at Veterans Park in Rogers, Arkansas (Take 71 Business in Rogers to Olrich Street in Rogers East to First Street; Dog-Leg Left onto Veterans Drive).  Sessions are for 18+, 28+, and the new 38+ divisions.  The NWAMSBL is the nation's largest amateur adult baseball league with over 50,000 members nationwide.  We play Major League rules baseball and our membership includes former professionals to current collegiate players, and from former Little Leaguers to those who have never played ball, but love the game.  Town Teams will be forming for Northwest Arkansas, Fort Smith River Valley, Southwest Missouri, Northeast Oklahoma and Southeast Kansas areas.

If interested, players should pre-register on-line at our website, www.nwamsbl.com and can also access information about our league there.  Or, just show up at Veterans Park on Sunday, April 17th at 2:00pm CST with a glove and spikes and be ready to play. 

If you have questions, please contact League President, Stephen Boudreaux at sboudreaux@arkansas.net or by calling 479-236-4220. 

Sounds like an ad, doesn't it!  Well...I am just very interested in bringing back to Northwest Arkansas the Town Team Baseball that used to thrive here in the 30's through 60's.  Come Play Ball...
www.nwasox.com (My Team)

RazorDrummer

Update:  the online registration tool was down for a few days.  It is fixed now, so if anyone wants to register, please go to www.nwamsbl.com.  Thanks!
www.nwasox.com (My Team)

RazorDrummer

New update... former Razorback pitching coach and New York Yankee scout, John Luedtke, is forming a team for the NWAMSBL for those who attend at least one credit hour class at the Northwest Arkansas Community College (NWACC).  Hopes are that NWACC can generate enough interest and support to eventually sanction a baseball team for Div II or equivilant.  This is good news for local baseball talent that either lack the ability to reach the D1 level or lack the grades to get there out of high school. 

Interested parties should register per normal at www.nwamsbl.com and put in the notes that you are an NWACC student.  (must be 18)
www.nwasox.com (My Team)

RazorDrummer

(if anyone reads this old thread)...with over 130 views to this thread, I was wondering if any Hogville members are interested in playing baseball with us this summer?  Would be curious to know.  Or if you have sons or brothers or cousins, etc., interested...

The cost per person for the whole season is about $135.00 per man.  Covers insurance, baseballs, umpires, fields, national dues and a magazine subscription (www.hardball.net) and all the fun of playing baseball...
www.nwasox.com (My Team)

RazorDrummer

My team had our first practice of the season yesterday... Wow!  What a glorious day for baseball.  Sure it hurts a little today (arm, knees, back) but what a great feeling to field a ground ball and flip it to first or hit early season BP off the sweet spot.  Temperature about 70 and sunny.  A little cross wind.  I had some of my pitchers going full speed at the start of BP and they were hitting the low 80's but most of us can hit em when they are straight.  Curve balls were hanging a little, but it won't be long before they start snappin' em off.   

www.nwasox.com
www.nwasox.com (My Team)

RazorDrummer

...added a tryout date in Fort Smith River Valley area on Sunday April 24th at 2:00pm.  Field to Announced soon.--Thanks
www.nwasox.com (My Team)

RazorDrummer

Fort Smith Tryout to be Sunday, April 24th at 4:00pm CST at GoldTrap-Gardner Park (8800 Dallas Street, Fort Smith, AR)

NWArkanas Tryout Sunday, April 17th at 2:00pm CST at Veterans Park in Rogers, AR (Take 71 Business in Rogers to Olrich Street in Rogers East to First Street; Dog-Leg Left onto Veterans Drive)
www.nwasox.com (My Team)

RazorDrummer

THIS Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!  Don't miss the tryouts!  2:00pm CST at Veteran's Park in Rogers, Arkansas...

www.nwamsbl.com

www.nwasox.com (My Team)