New GB thread

Started by blu, December 18, 2017, 03:44:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

blu

We don't have enough of these so thought there ought to be a new one -

1. Love to get him
2. NOT that big a deal if we don't
3. He won't make or break this class
4. We have quality QBs already on campus and others SIGNED IN THIS CLASS (Noland and Jones).
5. Woo Pig...

blu
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Next1_04

Davenport just said on Bo's show that his "gut" tells him he will end up at Baylor.

Let's not get our hopes up too high.

ricepig

Quote from: blu on December 18, 2017, 03:44:34 pm

1. Love to get him
4. We have quality QBs already on campus and others SIGNED IN THIS CLASS (Noland and Jones).
5. Woo Pig...

blu

Jones hasn't committed, but I suspect he might be cut out of the will of he doesn't, lol.

hawgon

In all seriousness, what is the attraction to Baylor now that Briles is gone?  Why would a kid that good even want to go there?

nwahogfan1

I say 4. We have better qualified QBs on campus. Of coarse I have never seen him in games but I know the SEC eats up freshmen QB. I hope we never have to play a freshman QB as our only option.

blu

If he was really that good, all of those big programs would have left a spot for him. This is just my opinion only and I am not bashing GB at all. Hope we get him, but it ain't that big a deal if we don't.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

HoggusMaximus

id love to get him but if he doesn't commit it happens.

cjack

Quote from: blu on December 18, 2017, 03:44:34 pm

1. Love to get him
5. Woo Pig...

blu

I say all of the above....except for #5
It's always Woo Pig Sooie. 

I hope Woo Pig leaves with Bielema
Woooo Pig Soooie!

5cent_Hog

No one is really talking about it recently, but there is a serious possibility the Noland gets drafted early and bolts for MLB. I doubt he ever makes it to campus.

arkansasboy66

Gerry will be signing with baylor tomorrow it is a done deal. It sucks but its what he wants to do.

ricepig

Quote from: 5cent_Hog on December 18, 2017, 04:18:31 pm
No one is really talking about it recently, but there is a serious possibility the Nolan gets drafted early and bolts for MLB. I doubt he ever makes it to campus.

Well, his fastball must have gained several MPH during football season then. I'm pretty sure he works in the high 80's to maybe 91, that's not early round draft material.

hawgon

Quote from: arkansasboy66 on December 18, 2017, 04:20:33 pm
Gerry will be signing with baylor tomorrow it is a done deal. It sucks but its what he wants to do.

That's a dumb decision for lots of reasons.

colbs

Quote from: arkansasboy66 on December 18, 2017, 04:20:33 pm
Well he will announce Baylor tomorrow and sign with them on Wednesday.

AirWarren

Quote from: Next1_04 on December 18, 2017, 03:47:53 pm
Davenport just said on Bo's show that his "gut" tells him he will end up at Baylor.

Let's not get our hopes up too high.

His gut?

Too much Mr. Pancho's in Maumelle.

Tusks

No one is really talking about it recently, but there is a serious possibility the Noland gets drafted early and bolts for MLB. I doubt he ever makes it to campus.

Where do u guys get this trash ?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

JusJim

2 & 4.  No big deal.  We have possibly a better quarterback coming in. 

jkstock04

Quote from: blu on December 18, 2017, 04:04:06 pm
If he was really that good, all of those big programs would have left a spot for him. This is just my opinion only and I am not bashing GB at all. Hope we get him, but it ain't that big a deal if we don't.
You guys would say that about anyone in state that chose a different school. Top rated in state recruit going to Baylor isn't a good look. But, that's where the Bielema integrity era took us to...something like that being the norm and "no big deal."
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

MountainHomeHogger

I honestly don't think this kid is that good. He has never faced competition, in 2A football your not quite getting to play top end talent. He looked absolutely horrible against Salem HS. I see him more as a small D1 or D2 school QB not a P5 starting QB!

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 18, 2017, 04:44:45 pm
You guys would say that about anyone in state that chose a different school. Top rated in state recruit going to Baylor isn't a good look. But, that's where the Bielema integrity era took us to...something like that being the norm and "no big deal."

What about the top rated recruit going to OSU Lite? He was 100% coming until the coaching staff changed.

hawginbigd1

From the first video I saw the first thing I saw was Cam Newton. Like 10 seconds my brain immediately said OMG this is Cam Newton as a JR., I had barely heard of the kid, watched more and yeah you could tell he needs some work and the competition is suspect, but he is a must get. If the video lies about his QB possibilities, I think he is a 4* LB/S or WR. Just the kind of athlete you have to get if you can. I really think he is a QB, though.

Anyway just not good for the home team for your best athlete to get out of state when recruiting top notch athletes is your BIGGEST issue! And we produce so few. It is issue #1-3 IMO, coaching and style of play, or other things come after that.

parallaxpig

Quote from: ricepig on December 18, 2017, 03:57:01 pm
Jones hasn't committed, but I suspect he might be cut out of the will of he doesn't, lol.

educate me on Jones--having a brain freeze.......
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 18, 2017, 04:49:58 pm
From the first video I saw the first thing I saw was Cam Newton. Like 10 seconds my brain immediately said OMG this is Cam Newton as a JR., I had barely heard of the kid, watched more and yeah you could tell he needs some work and the competition is suspect, but he is a must get. If the video lies about his QB possibilities, I think he is a 4* LB/S or WR. Just the kind of athlete you have to get if you can. I really think he is a QB, though.

Anyway just not good for the home team for your best athlete to get out of state when recruiting top notch athletes is your BIGGEST issue! And we produce so few. It is issue #1-3 IMO, coaching and style of play, or other things come after that.

When you have a coaching change, you're going to have guys that don't stick to their commits, and not get others the previous staff was recruiting. I don't think anyone is going to be happy if he goes somewhere else, but he wasn't coming under the previous staff, either.

rljjr

Quote from: cjack on December 18, 2017, 04:14:30 pm
I say all of the above....except for #5
It's always Woo Pig Sooie. 

I hope Woo Pig leaves with Bielema

I said Woo Pig way before CBB.

hogfan14

Quote from: hawgon on December 18, 2017, 04:01:10 pm
In all seriousness, what is the attraction to Baylor now that Briles is gone?  Why would a kid that good even want to go there?

From reading their board they are pretty thin at QB. He could probably start by year 2.

liljo

I'm keepin' the faith. G-Bo will be a Wild Hog!

Come on Gerry. We need you. You can play anywhere, and in a few years make lots of money.

Or, you can play at Arkansas, and in a few years make lots of money. And be a legend.

WPS
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

Wooderson

But wait this staff can recruit....They tweet more than Bret and crew did.  Just remember Bret pulled in the 23rd class in the nation when he took over.  Let's see you do it Morris.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

jkstock04

Quote from: ricepig on December 18, 2017, 04:48:05 pm
What about the top rated recruit going to OSU Lite? He was 100% coming until the coaching staff changed.
Top rated recruit? The Charleston kid? I have no clue. Is he 100% to ok state? If I was going to take a wild guess I would say maybe he doesn't have the slightest clue what type of defense we are going to run and wants to go to a more stable program that has a sitting DC. I'm not going to fault any kid being skeptical because of the Bielema era or this transition that is fixing to happen.

Morris getting any kid to stay committed or come here for this class under these circumstances is a major win.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

colbs

You hate to ever lose one of the best players in the state.  Saying that this is a small class and they already have a really good QB committed.  I know someone that has watched both Noland and Gerry.  He said Gerry has a higher ceiling but at this point Noland is better. 

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 18, 2017, 05:06:39 pm
Top rated recruit? The Charleston kid? I have no clue. Is he 100% to ok state? If I was going to take a wild guess I would say maybe he doesn't have the slightest clue what type of defense we are going to run and wants to go to a more stable program that has a sitting DC. I'm not going to fault any kid being skeptical because of the Bielema era or this transition that is fixing to happen.

Morris getting any kid to stay committed or come here for this class under these circumstances is a major win.

Flanagan is the top rated recruit on one service, and was committed to the old staff. As far as stable, sure, Gundy has been at OSU for 10 years or better, but they don't play defense over there any better than we did last year, and they'll have the same DC.

IronMountainHog

If he's going anywhere other than Arkansas, do not invite people to come see your decision. Just tell people tonight and have a nice little ceremony with family, friends, and classmates. If he's coming here advise the media so they can cover it. If he's going to BU, it's not even worth covering for their viewers. I personally could care less one way or another. If he goes there meh, if he comes here, that's great. I just think Hyatt, Noland, and Kelley are gonna give him a battle for snaps.

jfred59

One thing is that you dont have to play against SEC defenses.  The Little 12+3-5=whatever plays a lot less defense.

wpswillriseagain

Quote from: Wooderson on December 18, 2017, 05:06:03 pm
But wait this staff can recruit....They tweet more than Bret and crew did.  Just remember Bret pulled in the 23rd class in the nation when he took over.  Let's see you do it Morris.
he had a little more than 2 weeks though.

ricepig

Yeah, no difference in Dec 20th and February 4th......

IronMountainHog

Quote from: ricepig on December 18, 2017, 05:19:43 pm
Can't fix stupid sometimes.

JusJim

I liked CBB, and this is certainly not to knock him, but your comparison is not at all fair.  Bielemma had from Mid December until the spring signing period, and probably had more to start with when he arrived.  Coach Morris is going to have about 3 weeks.

Also, most recruiting classes you can take around 20 recruits, and Coach Morris (some say) might only be able to take 12 or so, so that is obviously going to make us rank pretty bad.

And another also.... LOL....  we won't know our final standing until after the spring signing period.

Wooderson

Quote from: ricepig on December 18, 2017, 05:19:43 pm

They've got a job to do and need to do it.  I don't want excuses.  Excuses are weak.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

HogNTX

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 18, 2017, 05:17:40 pm
If he's going anywhere other than Arkansas, do not invite people to come see your decision. Just tell people tonight and have a nice little ceremony with family, friends, and classmates. If he's coming here advise the media so they can cover it. If he's going to BU, it's not even worth covering for their viewers. I personally could care less one way or another. If he goes there meh, if he comes here, that's great. I just think Hyatt, Noland, and Kelley are gonna give him a battle for snaps.

I honestly think he's going to Baylor based solely off his recent twitter activity and likes. Plus he tells a couple of current Hogs to see and Baylor was the third school listed... choice C.

ricepig

Quote from: Wooderson on December 18, 2017, 05:30:01 pm
They've got a job to do and need to do it.  I don't want excuses.  Excuses are weak.

No excuse, just a fact, Einstein.

Hogindasticks

If you saw his tweet...he said THEY have a lot going for them(Hogs).....already made his decision....otherwise if would have been stated a different way.

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

oldhawg

Sometimes misleading.  Depends somewhat on how many scholarships a coach can offer and seems like I recall that Bielema had a full 25 to sign his first year compared to fewer this year by Morris.

I'll be blasted by the "anti-stars" people for this one, but maybe a raw evaluation could be made by comparing average star power of the two classes.  But even that does not consider recruiting for needs.

Difficult to make an accurate comparison, especially if the classes are fairly close in talent.

hawgdavis

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 18, 2017, 04:02:57 pm
I say 4. We have better qualified QBs on campus. Of coarse I have never seen him in games but I know the SEC eats up freshmen QB. I hope we never have to play a freshman QB as our only option.
Jalen H and Jake F said high.

Birminghog

Quote from: parallaxpig on December 18, 2017, 04:55:18 pm
educate me on Jones--having a brain freeze.......

Jerry's grandson.

Beached

Bert was indeed an expert at doing less with more.

Kevin

People who are bagging on Morris already need to find a new team because you are not a fan of the hogs
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

TeufelHog

If he doesn't want to be a Hog then, "Buh-Bye-Felcia!"  Wish him the best elsewhere.

colbs

Morris has had 9 days without a defensive staff before dead period.  I'm not sure what some people expect.

ChicoHog

Matt Rhule is a good coach and a heckuva lot better person than Art Briles. 

tee1up2par

Maybe but don't see him getting drafted high enough to leave. He sits at 89-91 and is right handed and now a days may not be a dime a dozen but there's a lot of them. If a lefty, he'd be gone.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: tee1up2par on December 18, 2017, 07:26:31 pm
Maybe but don't see him getting drafted high enough to leave. He sits at 89-91 and is right handed and now a days may not be a dime a dozen but there's a lot of them. If a lefty, he'd be gone.

This is my understanding.  He IS serious about playing baseball at the UofA...is that true?
Retired Radio Host