Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gafford proved why he's a first rounder

Started by checkraiser88, February 13, 2018, 08:34:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

texas tush hog

Quote from: 99toLife on February 16, 2018, 11:46:10 am
Don't think any Hog fans WANT him to leave.. but if he is going to get MILLIONS guaranteed! He should go.

That is HIS decision and I will respect it but short of a Natty I believe he returns.

Hawg Red

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 16, 2018, 11:35:27 am

Why do you want him to leave so badly? Do you hate Mike that much?

Is that all you have to say is repeatedly asking this question? What about all that "homework" I just whipped your ass with? What does Mike Anderson have to do with ANY of this discussion? Why would you ask these questions in a quote response to an informational post on first-round rookie contracts that is completely Gafford-agnostic? 

I am spitting facts and probabilities here. I've said repeatedly that I support Gafford either way. I'm just not a selfish fan who only wants him to come back. I want him to do what he feels is best for him and I'd hate for him to gamble with an opportunity to make good money in a good draft position by coming back. The macro-level analysis on guys projected to go at least mid first round coming back to school does not favor the decision. The mico-level analysis is worth looking into, though.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 14, 2018, 12:33:07 pm
The last 2 games Gafford has shown how good he is when the opponent doesn't have a strong post player, bet he don't get 16 and 8 Saturday. Not a diss, just facts, when opponent is strong inside he disappears because he hasn't developed his game facing the basket, and isn't strong enough to play with his back to the basket. He will provide some defense because of his length and athleticism, the guards will have to carry us to win Saturday.
Must apologize to Mr. Gafford, I was wrong. He played a very strong game today! His best all around in my opinion. Did not appear overmatched at any point today.

texas tush hog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 17, 2018, 09:17:59 pm
Must apologize to Mr. Gafford, I was wrong. He played a very strong game today! His best all around in my opinion. Did not appear overmatched at any point today.

He did look like a lottery pick tonight. If he continues this type of performance, and so desires he will probably be gone next year.

Kevin

Just go ahead and honor him on senior night
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

BirmingHam

I sure hope MA and staff have another big man on tap, it sure looks like Gafford is gone.  Congrats on the great game tonight, he is showing vast improvement.

From Tusk Till Dawn

I watched some of game highlights on my phone, ESPN called him "Gifford" a couple of times.  Another reason to dislike that network!  The whole country should know this freshman's name by now.

twistitup

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on February 18, 2018, 07:11:19 am
I watched some of game highlights on my phone, ESPN called him "Gifford" a couple of times.  Another reason to dislike that network!  The whole country should know this freshman's name by now.

Ol Frank....
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

jbigs77

I think Gafford should stay at least 1 more year. He is not ready for the NBA. I have seen many go early and flop. He has holes in his game. Good player, but needs work and maturity.

hoglady

Gafford made a huge step forward last night.

As he said after the game "I pretty much got punked the last time we played". "I wasn't going to let that happen again."
Looks like Gafford has decided to get tougher and play more physical / which bodes well for us this year.
And I'm sure will help his draft status.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hawg Red

Quote from: jbigs77 on February 18, 2018, 08:22:08 am
I think Gafford should stay at least 1 more year. He is not ready for the NBA. I have seen many go early and flop. He has holes in his game. Good player, but needs work and maturity.

How many junior and seniors have you seen flop?

99toLife

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 17, 2018, 09:25:18 pm

He did look like a lottery pick tonight. If he continues this type of performance, and so desires he will probably be gone next year.

Looked good, no way a top three in the draft. 

hawgmasta

When people ask about his families financial situation. . . How many people make over a million dollars a year?!? That's an insanely small percentage; so even if his parents make good money it's probably nowhere near guaranteed millions.

I want him to come back for selfish reasons as well; but he's gonna be a professional basketball player no matter what. I don't think he should waste his time with a limited practice schedule and coaching (not a dig on mike, just that he can be coached twelve hours a day as a pro if he wants to).

Now if he loves college and wants to come back and win more that would be awesome. What is he 19? So of course he's thin and has a few holes in his game: but we can all see he's got something special.

99toLife

Quote from: hawgmasta on February 18, 2018, 12:29:09 pm
When people ask about his families financial situation. . . How many people make over a million dollars a year?!? That's an insanely small percentage; so even if his parents make good money it's probably nowhere near guaranteed millions.

I want him to come back for selfish reasons as well; but he's gonna be a professional basketball player no matter what. I don't think he should waste his time with a limited practice schedule and coaching (not a dig on mike, just that he can be coached twelve hours a day as a pro if he wants to).

Now if he loves college and wants to come back and win more that would be awesome. What is he 19? So of course he's thin and has a few holes in his game: but we can all see he's got something special.

That's pretty much what I think. 

AlmaHog2011

He's a high first rounder. If he comes back awesome and I would love it.

If he has a chance to change his life and have financial security he should go. It will kill us next year for sure but when you watch him he's just a great athlete with a bigtime motor.
For his height he just plays like he's 6-5 and he's just scratching the surface. He needs another year of college. But, he should take the millions and it will be more than a few millions..

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hawgmasta on February 18, 2018, 12:29:09 pm

You have earned your handle sir! I agree with your post.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hoglady on February 18, 2018, 08:22:33 am
Gafford made a huge step forward last night.

As he said after the game "I pretty much got punked the last time we played". "I wasn't going to let that happen again."
Looks like Gafford has decided to get tougher and play more physical / which bodes well for us this year.
And I'm sure will help his draft status.

And the NBA had to love what he said. He admitted what happened and did something about it. He has amazing talent but mostly he's a super competitive young man. He has a lot of heart.

31to6

Quote from: tncbg on February 18, 2018, 01:24:46 pm
As one the "he's not ready" group, I'm starting to change my mind. He really is getting better from one game to the next. He shot free throws well and made a nice baseline jumper. He still has to learn how to play facing the basket, but he's a quick study.
The thing that strikes me is there are always a couple times each game where he just makes the other team look like chumps. He is so fluid with the ball for a freshman his size.

Combine that with his defensive abilities, rebounding and decent shooting (could improve) and I can see what the scouts are seeing. His athletic upside is huge. The NBA draft what you are, but they also draft what they project you to be and are willing to develop a young player if he looks like he can dominate.

Temprees

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 13, 2018, 10:06:45 pm
He's certainly shown some brilliance here but in the modern NBA age I have to question if he can go as a first round pick. Big men these days have to shoot from outside as well as be able to punch it in inside. It's a demanding position.

Gafford is certainly dominating college teams without bona fide big men because he can muscle them down as he showed tonight. But I think a first round NBA pick merits being able to compete with the best big men in the league. Can Gafford right now compete against the best big men in the league? I don't think so. The vestiges of the true big men in the NBA are all gonna have 20 pounds on Gafford at least and that's being generous, in addition to having a couple inches on him despite him being 6' 11". The lighter ones that can't compete with the vestiges of big men in the league in the post have to possess the ability to stretch the floor and knock down long shots, including 3's. Gafford has yet to attempt a 3 point shot this year.

A future NBA talent? Probably, yes. A first round pick right now? No. Though recently it seems as if NBA execs are making crazy decisions so I could be wrong. But I don't see it from a logical standpoint.

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on February 13, 2018, 10:06:45 pm
He's certainly shown some brilliance here but in the modern NBA age I have to question if he can go as a first round pick. Big men these days have to shoot from outside as well as be able to punch it in inside. It's a demanding position.

Gafford is certainly dominating college teams without bona fide big men because he can muscle them down as he showed tonight. But I think a first round NBA pick merits being able to compete with the best big men in the league. Can Gafford right now compete against the best big men in the league? I don't think so. The vestiges of the true big men in the NBA are all gonna have 20 pounds on Gafford at least and that's being generous, in addition to having a couple inches on him despite him being 6' 11". The lighter ones that can't compete with the vestiges of big men in the league in the post have to possess the ability to stretch the floor and knock down long shots, including 3's. Gafford has yet to attempt a 3 point shot this year.

A future NBA talent? Probably, yes. A first round pick right now? No. Though recently it seems as if NBA execs are making crazy decisions so I could be wrong. But I don't see it from a logical standpoint.

Check out Clint Capella of the Houston Rockets.  All he does is rebound, dunk and block shots.  He rarely takes a shot outside 5 feet, and then its a hook shot or floater. 

TNhawgfan

Quote from: hoglady on February 18, 2018, 08:22:33 am

A player finally listened when Mike said they punkin you
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

upperdeck_hawg

Gafford just about sealed his mid to high first round grade last night. He more than held his own against two highly regarded big men.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

nwahogfan1

Quote from: checkraiser88 on February 13, 2018, 08:34:43 pm
Glad the hogs won and I guess the only negative is that he straight up balled in front of the scouts in attendance tonight.

Gafford is a 4 in the NBA.   did you see those skills?   I think he needs another year to get a jump shot and to create a turn around Jump shot but if the Pros thinks he is 1st round material then that is all that matters.   We will see.