Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do coaches ever mix it up at practice?

Started by mj4president, November 24, 2017, 11:03:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mj4president

Just curious if the coaches ever lace up the keds, strap up the helmet/pads and play their position to help coach?
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

The OTR

Quote from: mj4president on November 24, 2017, 11:03:41 am
Just curious if the coaches ever lace up the keds, strap up the helmet/pads and play their position to help coach?

This should be fun.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HF#1

I've heard rumors of Bielema and Anderson taking off their shirts, rubbing their bellies with baby oil, and practicing their Sumo techniques.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

RebelliousHog

I don't think ours have, but I read where some team was playing GaTech and the HC had been an option QB in college, so he ran the scout team offense, pads and all. Basically he could do it better than someone who's never ran the option.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

From Tusk Till Dawn

Scott Frost did in order to help his team prepare for the option against Navy.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/scott-frost-taking-scout-team-qb-reps-to-prepare-ucf-for-navy/amp/

hogcards

No, but there's dance offs with opposing coaches.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

HogNTX

Quote from: HenduHog on November 24, 2017, 11:10:29 am
I don't think ours have, but I read where some team was playing GaTech and the HC had been an option QB in college, so he ran the scout team offense, pads and all. Basically he could do it better than someone who's never ran the option.

That was Scott Frost at USF prepping for Navy.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/138889/ucf-coach-scott-frosts-new-role-scout-team-quarterback

RebelliousHog

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

RebelliousHog

And yes Navy not GaTech. Hey my recollection was in the general area of truth.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Enos should coach defense, Rhoads should coach offense. And someone should coach special teams. How's that for mixing it up?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

clutch

Scott Frost did, however, he's in a lot better shape than your typical college football coach. He looks like he could still play.

HogNTX

I coach middle school and as a staff we jump in all the time to try to demonstrate and help the kids see but we don't dress out or go all out. I've seen our high school coaches jump in and demonstrate in live action too... again no pads.

Captain Morgan

Not Bielema just walks around with his whistle while the other coaches prep their positions. Nothing hands on at all from the coach. It will be nice to have a change in practice strategy

hawgdavis

Quote from: HF#1 on November 24, 2017, 11:10:17 am
I've heard rumors of Bielema and Anderson taking off their shirts, rubbing their bellies with baby oil, and practicing their Sumo techniques.

That's a disturbing picture, I'm now concerned about you for imagining this in your mind. Fetish is the word that comes to mind.

Just poking fun lol. No pun intended ha ha

Grumpypenguin

I'm sure Bielema switches it up between fried chicken and steak

Grunt

Had our hs coach do that and he got deflated the first play. Didn't get up, then got up slowly. 
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Grumpypenguin on November 24, 2017, 12:22:24 pm
from what I've been told he just walks around with his whistle and depends on his inferior assistant coaches to do their job. Steadily he has that confused look on his face. Its sad and psthetic bcuz he's the head of the program and needed to be more hands on in practice and not hands on at the Catfish Hole

Hoggish1

Classic. Do they hang sumo chains off their chest protrusions?

Tigaman

Why would they mix up practice when they practice so well. ;D

theFlyingHog

Saw one of my jr high coaches have a flashback or some crap and lay a player out cold. He didn't laugh when we gave him a helmet sticker

Hogwild

From Bruce Feldman's book Meat Market Coach O

QuoteHe then stopped and said, "One more thing. If any of you mother...
thinks you can take me, you come up here and get a piece of me right now."
He gave everyone an opportunity to come up and fight him and said,
"That's what I thought," and walked out of the room.

In another story, Lane was out passing with another player, and Coach O apparently ran up to
him, tackled him, stripped the ball, and took off running down the field.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Grumpypenguin on November 24, 2017, 12:22:24 pm

Sometimes even chicken fried steak... When he's feeling extra froggy
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

WalHog2018

greatest post of all time

_Hamlet_

lasthog

Quote from: Captain Morgan on November 24, 2017, 12:20:47 pm
Not Bielema just walks around with his whistle while the other coaches prep their positions. Nothing hands on at all from the coach. It will be nice to have a change in practice strategy

Maybe like Bear Bryant's observation tower?

I'll bet coaches and players alike felt his gaze.

JackTNHogfan

I'm not sure the coaches even paid attention in practice much less participated.  Lol

Bert fell asleep in a meeting said Drew Morgan.