Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mallett Probable for Sunday game with Falcons (chest injury).....

Started by hoglady, October 02, 2015, 08:41:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoglady

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2015/10/texans-injury-report-arian-foster-duane-brown-questionable-ryan-mallett-probable/?photo=690806

Been watching this since Weds.
Mallett has had limited practice with a chest injury.
Hope to heck he hasn't torn that repaired pec muscle.
(Lay off the weights Ryan)
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

threeNout

Quote from: hoglady on October 02, 2015, 08:41:45 pm
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2015/10/texans-injury-report-arian-foster-duane-brown-questionable-ryan-mallett-probable/?photo=690806

Been watching this since Weds.
Mallett has had limited practice with a chest injury.
Hope to heck he hasn't torn that repaired pec muscle.
(Lay off the weights Ryan)

glad to hear, I too hope it's not related to the injury that required surgery last year.

Buff

I've had a serious (to me, at least) muscle tear in the right pec before.  About a 2" rip that took 2 years before it felt completely right again.  I know Ryan has better nutritionists and therapists than I do, but a muscle tear in the chest is hard to get over.

Dr. Starcs

hoglady

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 04, 2015, 01:06:41 pm
Mallett with 2 early picks, one a pick 6.

No Mallett's only had 1 pick and it wasn't a pick 6 - It bounced off Hopkins and was picked (that's what the play by play is showing and the ticker scrolling at the bottom).
It did lead to Atlanta's first touchdown.
That was followed up by 2 Texans fumbles - it's a nightmare game.
28-0 at the half.

Here's the Texans half time numbers.

Passing 10/21 - 117 yds - 1 int.

Rushing 
Blue - 3 carries for 10 yds
Foster - 6 carries for 3 yds (that's not a typo)

A total team effort at suckage.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Dr. Starcs

hoglady

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 04, 2015, 01:53:32 pm
Oh wow.

Thanks for the correction.

I had just gone to the Texans play by play to see how in the heck they got so far behind.
Mallett's not having a good game but with rushing numbers like that it's no wonder.
The Texans are built to run - when they can't run at all - like 13 yds rushing in a half it'll be ugly as ugly can be.
I would normally visit TexansTalk to get more info - but don't want any part of that right now.
It'll be brutal.

hoglady

Couldn't help it and visited TexansTalk.

They want to fire everyone from the GM, OB, Mallett and everyone else except JJ Watt.

It does sound as though Mallett is just having a horrendous game - I wonder if he's torn that pec again.
He may sit after this debacle.

hoglady

Mallett got pulled.
Hoyer came in and marched them down the field 2 times for TD's.
42-14 is the score.
Should be another interesting week for the Texans QB carousel.

Redbug

Not sure if he'll ever make it...but he might as well start looking for a place to go to next season...

He was sucking today BUT, the Texans have NO RECEIVERs besides Hopkins and the OC is the biggest idiot this side of dale & chaney....IF they try a short pass on 1st down THEY ALWAYS COMEBACK WITH A RUN on 2nd down for either a 2 yd loss or little to no gain...9 times out of 10 it's 3rd and 10+ and the OC's calling a pass play designed for 4 yd routes...

NFL defenses can cover the texans TE's with their slowest LB and can single cover every WR besides Hopkins which they can double every play...

Hoyer gets to come in against backups and defenders just ready to get the game over and leads a couple of scoring drives after the game has been decided hours earlier....Hoyer will get the start against the Andrew Luck-less Colts on Thursday night...IT COULDN'T BE SET UP ANY BETTER...O'Brien can keep his boy the rest of the season with the success they'll build off of that game...As Hoyer sucks in coming weeks if anybody even mentions Mallett...they'll just bring up this game...

alohawg

Quote from: Redbug on October 04, 2015, 03:22:46 pm
Not sure if he'll ever make it...but he might as well start looking for a place to go to next season...

He was sucking today BUT, the Texans have NO RECEIVERs besides Hopkins and the OC is the biggest idiot this side of dale & chaney....IF they try a short pass on 1st down THEY ALWAYS COMEBACK WITH A RUN on 2nd down for either a 2 yd loss or little to no gain...9 times out of 10 it's 3rd and 10+ and the OC's calling a pass play designed for 4 yd routes...

NFL defenses can cover the texans TE's with their slowest LB and can single cover every WR besides Hopkins which they can double every play...

Hoyer gets to come in against backups and defenders just ready to get the game over and leads a couple of scoring drives after the game has been decided hours earlier....Hoyer will get the start against the Andrew Luck-less Colts on Thursday night...IT COULDN'T BE SET UP ANY BETTER...O'Brien can keep his boy the rest of the season with the success they'll build off of that game...As Hoyer sucks in coming weeks if anybody even mentions Mallett...they'll just bring up this game...

Yep +1
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hoglady

Quote from: Redbug on October 04, 2015, 03:22:46 pm

Did Mallett look hurt to you?
It sounds like you got to see the game.

Redbug

Quote from: hoglady on October 04, 2015, 03:46:22 pm
Did Mallett look hurt to you?
It sounds like you got to see the game.
I quit watching before his last series and Hoyer came in...heard the announcers talking like they'd gotten word Hoyer was coming in...then Mallett came back out at least one more series. I was tired of the crapshow andswitched over to the Rangers to hope they'd crush the anglels and give a big FU to the disAstro's....couple of times I switched back over at commercial could see texans had scored twice and were fix in to get the ball with 4:32 left...never saw Hoyer take a snap...The Texans are a dumpster fire and O'Brien looks like he's just happy he's collecting a BIG CHECK and thinks all of Bellacheat's good fortune and luck would automatically follow him wherever he went....

hoglady

Quote from: Redbug on October 04, 2015, 05:22:58 pm
I quit watching before his last series and Hoyer came in...heard the announcers talking like they'd gotten word Hoyer was coming in...then Mallett came back out at least one more series. I was tired of the crapshow andswitched over to the Rangers to hope they'd crush the anglels and give a big FU to the disAstro's....couple of times I switched back over at commercial could see texans had scored twice and were fix in to get the ball with 4:32 left...never saw Hoyer take a snap...The Texans are a dumpster fire and O'Brien looks like he's just happy he's collecting a BIG CHECK and thinks all of Bellacheat's good fortune and luck would automatically follow him wherever he went....

In hindsight - wish Mallett would have gone to the Jets.

bennyl08

Can anybody really say that Mallett was pulled from the game? They were down either 35 or 42 to zero when Hoyer came in. Hoyer was playing vs backups in garbage time.

Houston has some decisions to make. However, I would caution against overreacting to what happened in this game. No different than a team pulling Jamaal Charles or something when you are down an insurmountable lead and the backup rb breaks off some runs.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hog.goblin

BOB should have stayed at Penn St.  He's going to flame out and splitting the locker room by giving QBs the start after playing against the backups is not helping.

hoglady

Quote from: bennyl08 on October 04, 2015, 07:43:30 pm
Can anybody really say that Mallett was pulled from the game? They were down either 35 or 42 to zero when Hoyer came in. Hoyer was playing vs backups in garbage time.

Houston has some decisions to make. However, I would caution against overreacting to what happened in this game. No different than a team pulling Jamaal Charles or something when you are down an insurmountable lead and the backup rb breaks off some runs.

I guess we'll find out this week.
If OB makes another change he truly does not need to be an NFL head coach. Musical chairs at QB doesn't work.

hog.goblin

Quote from: hoglady on October 04, 2015, 09:46:59 pm
I guess we'll find out this week.
If OB makes another change he truly does not need to be an NFL head coach. Musical chairs at QB doesn't work.

I second this

alohawg

Can't see Mallett being in Houston next year. Something has to give.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

hoglady

It wouldn't surprise me if OB told Hocker he would have the starting job to get him to sign / then turned around and told Mallett 2 days later he would be the starter to get him to sign. From all reports either one of these guys could have gone to the Jets for more money - and both chose Houston.
This QB controversy (which is never good for a team at this level) is OB's fault.
I don't know a thing - other than the Texans are a bad team that OB has made worse with his QB fiasco.

Hogarusa

Mallett's done.  I will be shocked (barring injury) if he starts another game this season.  There is no doubt in my mind that Hoyer will be the starter now, and if OB is smart it will be the final change of the season. Foster is back now so Hoyer can just be Brandon Allen for the remainder of the season handing off and also throw to Hopkins 20 times a game.

I feel for Mallett but beside this board, there are no professional sports people that are saying anything positive about what Mallett does or defending his circumstances.

Evan Silva tweeted this:
@evansilva: Ryan Mallett lacks anticipation, athleticism, touch, an ability to locate passes, and an understanding of his own limitations.

Peter King said:
Trying to read Bill O'Brien's mind. My best guess would be: "Perhaps I made a mistake, yanking Hoyer five games too soon."
q. I mean, Brian Hoyer's warming up and it's 35-0 Atlanta, and O'Brien keeps Ryan Mallett in for the next series.

NFLonTexans tweet:
@NFLOnTexans: Ryan Mallett has some serious accuracy issues and may get someone seriously injured.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25328123/bill-obrien-needs-to-make-a-qb-switch-again-to-fix-houston-mess-he-created
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Albert Einswine

I read a pretty scathing review of Mallet first thing this morning from a writer on NFL.com.

"The Texans' aerial "attack" featured no timing or run-after-catch element with Mallett at the helm. He waits for his receivers to flash open before winding up and attempting to throw the prolate spheroid through their torsos.

Mallett's playing style results in too many tight-window throws and deflected passes, not to mention a slew of scattershot misfires. If he was good enough to start 16 games, he would challenge Donovan McNabb's unofficial single-season record for most one-hop tosses to his intended receivers."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000549070/article/texans-bench-ryan-mallett-go-to-brian-hoyer-in-loss
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

lstewart

Unfortunately Mallett will be lucky if he is still in the NFL in two years. One good thing about being a career backup and not getting to play was some people still thought he might be able to play. At this point everyone thinks he can't play, so it will take some luck to find roster spots in the future. Always the new hot shot QB's coming out every year. Hate it... wish he could have been successful.

Hogarusa

Well color me surprised. I was wrong (not the surprise), Mallett remains the starter.  Good for him.  Here's a great review

The Texans are sticking with Ryan Mallett at quarterback.
Mallett has played as poorly as a quarterback can play this season, but coach Bill O'Brien knows Brian Hoyer offers little hope as a backup. Still, a mid-game benching for Mallett seems more likely than not against the Colts on Thursday. Mallett simply has zero feel for what an NFL quarterback is supposed to do. Both Hoyer and Mallett are turnover machines, but Hoyer has a (slightly) better overall game.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/320187/Texans-sticking-with-Mallett-at-quarterback-

hoglady

Terry Bradshaw would have never made it in today's NFL.
His completion percentage was about 38% his first year as a starter.
Some of these guys just need a year or so of real playing experience

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hoglady on October 05, 2015, 01:50:39 pm
Terry Bradshaw would have never made it in today's NFL.
His completion percentage was about 38% his first year as a starter.
Some of these guys just need a year or so of real playing experience

Coaches in hyper-million dollar businesses like today's NFL don't have that kind of time.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

alohawg

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 05, 2015, 01:51:58 pm

Coaches in hyper-million dollar businesses like today's NFL don't have that kind of time.

It's a win now league, just ask Joe Philbin.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

hog.goblin

Ryan still has a future in the NFL, even if as a backup. There are lots of guys who come in and offer no hope off the bench if a QB goes down.  Ryan can get a team a win, just not consistently.

He also has, what, 4 games as a starter?  If I'm the coach I would give the rest of the season.  Wish he had more weapons, but even with the team he has he should start playing better with experience and Foster back.  If he looks the same at the end of the year you look to the draft or free agency.

hoglady

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 05, 2015, 02:56:55 pm
Ryan still has a future in the NFL, even if as a backup. There are lots of guys who come in and offer no hope off the bench if a QB goes down.  Ryan can get a team a win, just not consistently.

He also has, what, 4 games as a starter?  If I'm the coach I would give the rest of the season.  Wish he had more weapons, but even with the team he has he should start playing better with experience and Foster back.  If he looks the same at the end of the year you look to the draft or free agency.

Yes

alohawg

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 05, 2015, 02:56:55 pm

He had 4 yrs. to learn under Brady and yet still does the same dumb things. He is what he is at this point, same mistakes continue and all 32 teams see it, I'm sure. A career back-up for however long that may be.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

hoglady

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 05, 2015, 01:51:58 pm

I know - but what happens is the mediocre to bad teams just have a revolving door at QB.
Used to teams gave their guys a few years to develop and you had a lot of decent QB's around the league.

Mallett's got to play better than he did yesterday - but the Texans have to produce more than 13 yards rushing in a half for him to do that. How does an NFL team only have 13 yds rushing in a half? How does a premiere back like Arian Foster get 3 yards on 6 carries. That Oline must have just stunk up the field yesterday.

hoglady

Quote from: alohawg on October 05, 2015, 04:23:49 pm
He had 4 yrs. to learn under Brady and yet still does the same dumb things. He is what he is at this point, same mistakes continue and all 32 teams see it, I'm sure. A career back-up for however long that may be.

Well there are a lot worse jobs in this world.

Hogarusa

Quote from: hoglady on October 05, 2015, 04:26:59 pm
I know - but what happens is the mediocre to bad teams just have a revolving door at QB.
Used to teams gave their guys a few years to develop and you had a lot of decent QB's around the league.

Mallett's got to play better than he did yesterday - but the Texans have to produce more than 13 yards rushing in a half for him to do that. How does an NFL team only have 13 yds rushing in a half? How does a premiere back like Arian Foster get 3 yards on 6 carries. That Oline must have just stunk up the field yesterday.

When the passing attack is not a viable threat, you end up with 13 yards rushing.  Hey, i agree-there are worse jobs in the world than being a backup QB.

The Mallett/Hoyer thing is confusing if you watched Hard Knocks and saw the decision to start Hoyer.  I'm guessing this is not a coach's decision.

hoglady

Quote from: Hogarusa on October 05, 2015, 05:22:20 pm
When the passing attack is not a viable threat, you end up with 13 yards rushing.  Hey, i agree-there are worse jobs in the world than being a backup QB.

The Mallett/Hoyer thing is confusing if you watched Hard Knocks and saw the decision to start Hoyer.  I'm guessing this is not a coach's decision.

Well - if someone other than the coach is making decisions as to who is starting at QB, the Texans have bigger problems than Mallett's bad day.

Hogarusa

Texans and Mallett actually favored tonight over the Luck-less Colts.  Probably not what TNF was hoping for when the schedule came out.  Arian should help the Texans but they are without their #2 and #3 WRs which should make life even more difficult for Mallett.  Hopkins and Foster may get all of the targets