Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mallett leads the Texans on a good 2nd drive

Started by flippinhogmana, September 27, 2015, 12:25:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

September 27, 2015, 12:25:05 pm Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 12:41:38 pm by flippinhogmana
6 0f 8 so far in the air for five first downs, 7-0 lead.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

nice to see McFadden with a good yard per carry average for a change and a touchdown, too.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

hog.goblin

hoglady

Quote from: hog.goblin on September 27, 2015, 08:07:12 pm
he hung in there and got the win

Yep - and it sounds like the coach is going to stick with Mallett this year. Talked about how Mallett needs game experience. OB says he's seeing improvement every week. 
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogz87

He may've just unfairly lost the job.  He got knocked out for one play, was good to go, then Hoyer completes a 3rd and long pass and they stick with him the rest of the drive which leads to Houston's first points...a field goal.  I mean Mallett had already completed one or two 3rd and long passes and was looking good.  He would've led Houston to at least a FG on their opening drive if Foster hadn't let a very catchable ball go through his hands which led to an easy INT for the Colts.

This poor guy just hasn't really been able to catch a break since his college career ended.

texhog

Yeah it just seems like the receivers try a little harder when Hoyer is in. 

passinghog

Houston has done such a horrible job of drafting. They must have the least talented offense in the league, by far. O'Brien is a piece of crap as well.

hogginbama

O'Brien is a [CENSORED]. Shows that he has wanted Hoyer all along. Mallett has played well and the dirt bag pulled him anyway. Hoyer has never lead a winning team so what might they see as an upside to him?
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

texhog

I bet Mallett never imagined when he took himself out of the game that may have been the last snap he took as the starter.  If he ever gets back in I bet he will have to be knocked out in order to leave the game.

hog.goblin

Quote from: texhog on October 08, 2015, 09:01:00 pm
I bet Mallett never imagined when he took himself out of the game that may have been the last snap he took as the starter.  If he ever gets back in I bet he will have to be knocked out in order to leave the game.

He just got Bledsoe'd.

Hoyer almost throws a pick, struggles to throw a couple of short passes, then a couple of plays later hits a hail mary.  What a turn of events.

aredwolfrazorback

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 08, 2015, 09:03:55 pm
He just got Bledsoe'd.

Yep and it sucks. Even the announcer said the qb NEVER should leave the field unless he absolutely has to. When he was walking off I knew what was about to happen.
With all the beers and all the cheers, I'm a hog fan for the rest of my years.

UA 2010
ASU 2008

hogginbama

Hoyer will not lead them to anything. If he was so great, the dumpster fire known as Cleveland would not have let him go.  Mallett has probably played his last game in the NFL since he stood on the sideline showing he was upset about being benched instead of playing "fluffer" for O'Brien and Hoyer.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Hogz87

Quote from: texhog on October 08, 2015, 09:01:00 pm
Yeah, it was a really dirtbag move by O'Brien.  Mallett cautiously takes himself out, was playing well, and never gets back in the game.

Hogz87

Welp, can't blame Hoyer.  He made "his turn" count, even though it really wasn't fair that Mallett didn't ever get a chance to go back in after only needing to miss two plays after playing well.

texhog

Now all the sudden the Colts D can not cover anyone and Hoyer has all day.

Hogz87

Quote from: texhog on October 08, 2015, 09:37:19 pm
Now all the sudden the Colts D can not cover anyone and Hoyer has all day.
The Colts defense hasn't been able to cover anyone all year.  They're down 2 of their top 4 DBs and they have the worst pass rush in the NFL.  This makes 5 straight weeks they've made bad to mediocre QBs look like All-Pros.

Dr. Starcs

That Hail Mary "defense" was the worst I've seen since Byu/Nebraska and even worse than that.

alohawg

Quote from: hogginbama on October 08, 2015, 09:20:23 pm
Hoyer will not lead them to anything. If he was so great, the dumpster fire known as Cleveland would not have let him go. Mallett has probably played his last game in the NFL since he stood on the sideline showing he was upset about being benched instead of playing "fluffer" for O'Brien and Hoyer.

He needs to control his emotions a lot better, on and off the field. If history is any indication he'll get another shot at some point.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Hogarusa

Quote from: hogginbama on October 08, 2015, 08:50:25 pm
O'Brien is a [CENSORED]. Shows that he has wanted Hoyer all along. Mallett has played well and the dirt bag pulled him anyway. Hoyer has never lead a winning team so what might they see as an upside to him?

I don't get this. Hoyer got pulled in the 3rd quarter of the 1st game of the season.  Mallett has been awful since and O Brien has stuck with him until tonight
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hog.goblin

Quote from: alohawg on October 08, 2015, 09:47:43 pm
He needs to control his emotions a lot better, on and off the field. If history is any indication he'll get another shot at some point.

agree, I don't think he's "done" as a starter for his NFL career.  But barring an injury to Hoyer, he's probably done as a starter with the Texans.

hoglady

If Mallett is ever going to succeed as a starter in the NFL he needs away from the conservative type of offense run by the Patriots and the Texans.
It just doesn't really suit the best things about his game.
And this musical chairs at QB by OB is bad for the whole team. Mallett is stuck there another year unless they work a trade or they cut him at the end of this year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Atlhogfan1

Lol at Hoyer. Nice clutch play on 3rd and 2.

Texans offense much more aggressive in 2nd half. Foster had nearly twice the carries in the first half and Blue had a few.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Albert Einswine

That pick by Hoyer may be the worst one I've ever seen in the NFL. Between Hoyer and Mallett the Texans can't cobble together one NFL starting QB.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

daprospecta

When are we just going to be honest about Mallet? He has the tools, they just don't seem to come together.  I could see Mallet sitting for another two or three years being a backup and the starter gets hurt and he fills in and plays well.  He's just not ready IMO and I really like Mallet.  Cool guy the few times I hung out with him. 

hoglady

Quote from: daprospecta on October 08, 2015, 10:36:09 pm
When are we just going to be honest about Mallet? He has the tools, they just don't seem to come together.  I could see Mallet sitting for another two or three years being a backup and the starter gets hurt and he fills in and plays well.  He's just not ready IMO and I really like Mallet.  Cool guy the few times I hung out with him. 

I still would just still like to see Mallett in a more wide open offense with some better receivers than what the Texans have.
OB has probably made Mallett and Hoyer head cases this year with the way the QB situation has been handled between those 2 since day 1.

hog.goblin

after the game:

Texans coach Bill O'Brien is asked who his starting quarterback is. Says they'll have to watch film and discuss.

BOB needs to @!$% or get off the pot.

hoglady

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 08, 2015, 10:57:13 pm
after the game:

Texans coach Bill O'Brien is asked who his starting quarterback is. Says they'll have to watch film and discuss.

BOB needs to @!$% or get off the pot.

A freakin mess of his own making!!

hoglady

Sweet revenge for Andre Johnson against the Texans.
2 TD catches to help beat his old team.

hoglady

Some posts in Texans Talk forum -
"Breaking News!! Coach Bill Obrien was just arrested as he exited the stadium tonight for mental & emotional abuse of his QB's.....Witnesses say that Coach Obrien intentionally abused his 2 QB's to the breaking point....Hoyer claims that HE is Ryan Mallett...And Mallett says that HE is Bryan Hoyer"

"I'll tell u what Obrien & Godsey have done......They have screwed up BOTH QB's!!!...These 2 fraud coaches have screwed Hoyer AND Malletts heads up so much that it's a miracle these 2 QB's can even remember what position they play. Mallett was looking very good then he takes a hit, goes to the sidelines to catch his breath...and gets benched!!! WTH....Are you kidding me...So now Obrien has Hoyer thinking he's Drew Breez....until he shows everyone HE AINT DREW!!!....Let it go Obrien...You just couldn't leave Mallett in....was he starting to look To Good.....What Is This QB Thing With YOU really about?!! Something stinks here and it's not the QB's...It you & Godsey...And now you've screwed both QB's confidence up....you've embarrassed yourselves and the fans....And YOU 2 are the reason we don't have. QB!!! Because you couldn't pick one!!! You 2 can forget about ever coaching in the NFL after this....."

JayBell

It's all about narrative.  Reading about last night's game.  Mallett was supposedly "terrible" when he was 7-for-10 and credited with an interception that went off his receiver's hands.

Mallett's achilles heel has always been his emotions.  People think it's great to wear your heart on your sleeve when the team is winning.  When you're losing, not so much.

JayBell

O'Brien is a joke and plenty of people are saying the team has already tuned out the coaching staff.  It's easy to understand when you see how terrible he's handled the QB situation.

Mallett is more talented, therefore preferred by fans.  Hoyer is calmer, more experienced and was specifically sought by the coaching staff.  Still, O'Brien keeps bouncing back and forth.

There's no continuity and no stability.  Mallett may not be capable of being a successful NFL starter, but it'd be great to see him get a decent shot.

lstewart

Too bad for Ryan last night. He was throwing the ball well until he had to come out. Of course you knew that was it for him if Hoyer did anything. But, even though it was not really his fault, the offense was not scoring points with Ryan in the game. Hoyer played very well until that last crazy int at the end of the game. I think Ryan is done this year unless Hoyer gets hurt. Team is awful, and not going anywhere. At this point Ryan is on thin ice concerning his career. He needs to suck it up and not pout, as there are a lot of guys competing for the back-up positions at QB. He might get lucky and find a spot where he can be a backup a few more years, or he may be about to slip out of the NFL in the next year or so... somewhat like Hillis. So far he has not shown enough for teams to be that interested in him. Not always accurate in the current NFL dink and dunk short passing game, and comes across as pouty if things don't go his way.

EastexHawg

I would trade Brandon Weeden for him straight up, this minute, if I were running the Cowboys.

HawgWild

They flashed a QB stat during halftime showing Mallett with the lowest completion % in the NFL. Not sure if that number included his 7/10 performance in the first half or not. The guys just not getting to show his stuff.

MountainHomeHogger

Mallett is a disgrace to Arkansas, the way he acted on the sidelines for the Texans is pitiful!!!! What a DBAG, the players can't stand him, and also he still has no grasp of how to be a NFL QB on the field or off of it.  And just hear him talk is painful!

Dr. Starcs

Weeden has not been the cause of Dallas recent woes. .

hoglady

Quote from: MountainHomeHogger on October 09, 2015, 11:53:22 am
Mallett is a disgrace to Arkansas, the way he acted on the sidelines for the Texans is pitiful!!!! What a DBAG, the players can't stand him, and also he still has no grasp of how to be a NFL QB on the field or off of it.  And just hear him talk is painful!

No - the biggest disgrace regarding the Texans is the way OB has treated both of his quarterbacks.

hoglady

Hoyer may appear more mature than Mallett but he's not.
If you've read anything about what happened in Cleveland last year - he's worse than Mallet ever thought about being.
They got rid of him because he refused to mentor Manziel or even speak to him at all. QB meeting were filled with tension because Hoyer refused to acknowledge Manziel. Hoyer's attitude carried over into the locker room.
Hoyer is not Mr. niceguy teammate.

clutch

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 09, 2015, 03:24:13 pm
Weeden has not been the cause of Dallas recent woes. .

He's had a good completion percentage, but it's all been on very short throws. He has virtually no intermediate or deep threat. And they can't do jack in the 2nd half.

I agree though that it's not all on him. Injury bug just hit Dallas too hard on both sides of the ball.

Dr. Starcs

Cowboys season and Razorbacks very much hurt by injuries this year.

alohawg

Wee-done is a joke, worst back up in the league. IF he starts next game, I will not bother nor care.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

JayBell

Quote from: hoglady on October 09, 2015, 04:24:22 pm
Hoyer may appear more mature than Mallett but he's not.
If you've read anything about what happened in Cleveland last year - he's worse than Mallet ever thought about being.
They got rid of him because he refused to mentor Manziel or even speak to him at all. QB meeting were filled with tension because Hoyer refused to acknowledge Manziel. Hoyer's attitude carried over into the locker room.
Hoyer is not Mr. niceguy teammate.

Like I said, it's all about narrative.  You never saw Mallett act like he does now with the Patriots.  In fact, you never heard anything about him in New England after the preseason.  If he's such a terrible teammate, how come nothing ever came up in more than three seasons with the Patriots?

HawgWild

Quote from: JayBell on October 12, 2015, 08:45:41 am
Like I said, it's all about narrative.  You never saw Mallett act like he does now with the Patriots.  In fact, you never heard anything about him in New England after the preseason.  If he's such a terrible teammate, how come nothing ever came up in more than three seasons with the Patriots?

I'm guessing it's because he knew Coach Belichick would have told him to pack his locker and go home.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: HawgWild on October 12, 2015, 09:07:20 am
I'm guessing it's because he knew Coach Belichick would have told him to pack his locker and go home.

You can count on that. Belichick has no problem offloading players.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

JayBell

So Mallett is a horrible teammate except when he isn't.  Got it.

JayBell

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on October 13, 2015, 02:04:03 pmWith, of course, when he "isn't" horrible being the significant minority of the time.

Eight years of college and the pros versus, what, 6 months in the current situation?  Yeah, such a minority...

Buff

Hogarusa

@McClain_on_NFL: Texans QB Ryan Mallett missed team charter and had to fly commercial to Dolphins game. I can imagine Bill OBrien reaction.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me