Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ryan Mallett named week 2 starter.

Started by HogginTexarkana, September 16, 2015, 04:12:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoglady

Quote from: HawgWild on September 20, 2015, 01:23:19 pm
Would not surprise me to see Hoyer start the 2nd half.

That would be suicide for the Texans.

Some perspective.
Carolina is a Top 10 defense.
Make shift Oline this week for the Texans.
Mallett is making his 3rd NFL start.
Anyone thinking he would come out and tear it up wasn't being realistic.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

FaytownHog

Quote from: hoglady on September 20, 2015, 01:28:44 pm
That would be suicide for the Texans.

Some perspective.
Carolina is a Top 10 defense.
Make shift Oline this week for the Texans.
Mallett is making his 3rd NFL start.
Anyone thinking he would come out and tear it up wasn't being realistic.

He's certainly not getting much time back there, but not looking impressive being the bottom line.

Dr. Starcs

Carolina best player isn't even playing today.

RM 11/29 for 75 yds. Has had 4 drops, but has also been inaccurate.

hog.goblin

Quote from: HawgWild on September 20, 2015, 01:23:19 pm
Would not surprise me to see Hoyer start the 2nd half.

it was a very bad 2nd quarter following an average 1st quarter.  but if they can't run the ball neither Hoyer or Mallett has much of a chance to succeed.  once they start teeing off like they did in Q2 RM got real uncomfortable

but flip flopping isn't good for the season

hoglady

Good thing OB didn't bring out Hoyer.
Mallett 7 for 7 - about an 80 yd drive for TD to begin 2nd half
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hog.goblin

Quote from: hoglady on September 20, 2015, 02:14:58 pm
Good thing OB didn't bring out Hoyer.
Mallett 7 for 7 - about an 80 yd drive for TD to begin 2nd half

they ran the ball okay and protected him well.

if they can run and protect the QB, RM will be very successful

FaytownHog

Whelp. 1 good series then back to crap. Couple bad series, and just got picked in the 4th quarter which lead to an immediate TD by Carolina. Even former hogs are cursed this week.

hog.goblin

Quote from: FaytownHog on September 20, 2015, 03:03:22 pm
Whelp. 1 good series then back to crap. Couple bad series, and just got picked in the 4th quarter which lead to an immediate TD by Carolina. Even former hogs are cursed this week.

might be a one game shot.  hopefully not.  i would like to see him given a shot with a healthy line and the starting RB

but no question he made some bad throws and bad decisions today

having another good series but maybe too little too late

FaytownHog

Quote from: hog.goblin on September 20, 2015, 03:07:56 pm
might be a one game shot.  hopefully not.  i would like to see him given a shot with a healthy line and the starting RB

but no question he made some bad throws and bad decisions today

having another good series but maybe too little too late
Absolutely! Would be nice! He had a LONG TD pass but the dang WR tripped over himself with 20-30 yards of nothing but grass in front of him.

FaytownHog

MALLETT with the wheels son!! hahaha. RUSHING TD!

hoglady

This is the NFL - Mallett's third start ever and playing against a Top 10 defense.
Go back and look at some of the best QB's stats for the first year they were a starter.
It's a learning curve - don't care how much practice time you have.
I thought Houston as a whole was outmanned in this game big time.
They were lucky to be as close as they were.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hoglady on September 20, 2015, 05:02:29 pm
This is the NFL - Mallett's third start ever and playing against a Top 10 defense.
Go back and look at some of the best QB's stats for the first year they were a starter.
It's a learning curve - don't care how much practice time you have.
I thought Houston as a whole was outmanned in this game big time.
They were lucky to be as close as they were.
All good points, but the fact remains he makes too many bad decisions, and too many innaccurate throws to make it in the league IMO.

hoglady

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on September 20, 2015, 07:05:12 pm
All good points, but the fact remains he makes too many bad decisions, and too many innaccurate throws to make it in the league IMO.

Peyton Manning - 1st year starter stats - 26 td's / 28 int / 71 QB rating / record - 3-13

Let's see where Mallett is the end of this year.
If OB sticks with him - he'll either improve with more real game experience or he won't.

Buff

No QB is going to have great stats when they're asked to throw it 58 times against a defense that good.  Too bad he didn't get more 1st team reps in the off-season.

hoglady

Quote from: Buff on September 20, 2015, 07:37:35 pm
No QB is going to have great stats when they're asked to throw it 58 times against a defense that good.  Too bad he didn't get more 1st team reps in the off-season.

Yes - great points.

clutch

58 passing attempts and no running game. Malletts got his work cut out for him if he wants to shine on this team.

hoglady

Quote from: clutch on September 20, 2015, 08:45:17 pm
58 passing attempts and no running game. Malletts got his work cut out for him if he wants to shine on this team.

It's a miracle they were even in the game.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Buff on September 20, 2015, 07:37:35 pm

well, it worked out for Brady today, but RM needs many more years of experience, a better OL, and better tools around him, before we should compare him to Brady.

I think he'll be fine in the long run if OB doesn't become quick trigger.

blunts4mallett

Quote from: clutch on September 20, 2015, 08:45:17 pm

Coach OB isn't going to throw it that many times. The Panthers D line is legit, our O-line was missing Duane Brown, and our running game is horrible until Foster is back. The amount we threw the ball is an anomaly.

Hogarusa

All that preseason talk about OB not giving Mallett a fair shot turned out to be false, looks like Hoyer was the one not given a fair shake and was clearly lied to.  That speech OB gave the QBs in naming Hoyer the starter on Hard Knocks was all BS.  He gets pulled after 12 series and is done for the time being.  Mallett throws 49%, a little over 4 yards per attempt, and a 43 QBR. 

I have more interest in the Texans watching Mallett but that's a joke
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

oldman1015

hope he can keep the job until foster comes back. that will take a lot of pressure off.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

clutch

Quote from: blunts4mallett on September 21, 2015, 07:55:48 am
Coach OB isn't going to throw it that many times. The Panthers D line is legit, our O-line was missing Duane Brown, and our running game is horrible until Foster is back. The amount we threw the ball is an anomaly.

He's going to have to throw it that much until Foster comes back. They have no running game. Then they just have to pray Foster doesn't get hurt again.