Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ryan Mallett named week 2 starter.

Started by HogginTexarkana, September 16, 2015, 04:12:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogginTexarkana

Being from Texarkana I've followed his whole career.   I really hope he can shine this time and hold on to the job.

hoglady

Quote from: HogginTexarkana on September 16, 2015, 04:12:13 pm
Being from Texarkana I've followed his whole career.   I really hope he can shine this time and hold on to the job.

Is this speculation or do you have a link to an article?
O'Brien said he wasn't publicly naming the starter - that we'd find out on Sunday.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogfan14

HogWall Jackson

I live in Houston, he has earned this shot. Bill O'Brien ran a BOGUS QB Competition and declared Hoyer the winner.  94% of the Fans here favored RM as the QB. O'Brien began playing games on Monday saying that he would not name a starter until the 1st snap on Sunday. O'Brien is not popular in Houston, he is goes out of his way to piss off the fans here.

WooPig90

mckinneyhog5

He should start..Hoyer was an absolute disaster in their first game.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

hawgXi

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 04:24:49 pm
He should start..Hoyer was an absolute disaster in their first game.

well in all fairness, hoyer wasn't all that bad after he got that first interception out of his system on his first attempt.

bet Cleveland is wishing they had him back about now

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

blunts4mallett

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on September 16, 2015, 04:19:59 pm
I live in Houston, he has earned this shot. Bill O'Brien ran a BOGUS QB Competition and declared Hoyer the winner.  94% of the Fans here favored RM as the QB. O'Brien began playing games on Monday saying that he would not name a starter until the 1st snap on Sunday. O'Brien is not popular in Houston, he is goes out of his way to piss off the fans here.

Houstonian here as well. Couldn't agree more. I almost think O'Brien knew this would happen all along. That chip he put on Mallett's shoulder on national television is going to make Mallett fire off on all cylinders this Sunday. Watch out AFC South.

LJHOG

Mallett will be the starter Sunday.  But, being the QB for the Texans ain't much of big deal.

AirForceHog

Being a starter in the NFL is a big deal.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hoglady

Quote from: LJHOG on September 16, 2015, 04:36:49 pm
Mallett will be the starter Sunday.  But, being the QB for the Texans ain't much of big deal.

Being an NFL starter is a big deal - I don't care who you play for.

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: AirForceHog on September 16, 2015, 04:39:30 pm
Being a starter in the NFL is a big deal.

Because having one of only 32 jobs in the world isnt a big deal.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Danny J

I only wish Foster were back to help take the load off.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

AirForceHog

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: hawgXi on September 16, 2015, 04:29:01 pm
well in all fairness, hoyer wasn't all that bad after he got that first interception out of his system on his first attempt.

What did he do after that?  If he did so well then why was he yanked and replaced?  I watched the game, dude sucks.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

threeNout

Bill O'Brien ran a BOGUS QB Competition and declared Hoyer the winner.  94% of the Fans here favored RM as the QB. O'Brien began playing games on Monday saying that he would not name a starter until the 1st snap on Sunday.

I figured it be Mallett when he first said that, keeping the starter secret, every day you keep the opposing team unsure it could help.

Credit to him for seeing his mistake now and correcting it before the season is ruined.  a more stubborn coach might have limped to 4-8 before making the change to "prepare for next year".

It IS more of the field the D will have to prepare to defend as opposed to facing Hoyer, that's for sure, I hope RM and the WRs are running a lot of mid to deep routes this week in practice, it's gonna be fun seeing RM connect on some Sunday.

blunts4mallett

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 05:28:22 pm
What did he do after that?  If he did so well then why was he yanked and replaced?  I watched the game, dude sucks.

Why people think otherwise, particularly some of my fellow Texan fan counterparts, I do not understand.

On another note, being a Houston and Razorbacks sports fan has taken 10 years off my life, easy.

mckinneyhog5

My apologies.  I didn't get the sarcasm the first time I read your post.

threeNout

Hoyer?,  I almost had a QB rating of 12.3 last Sunday, and I didn't even get off the couch.

seasonhog

Quote from: threeNout on September 16, 2015, 05:31:15 pm

I figured it be Mallett when he first said that, keeping the starter secret, every day you keep the opposing team unsure it could help.

Credit to him for seeing his mistake now and correcting it before the season is ruined.  a more stubborn coach might have limped to 4-8 before making the change to "prepare for next year".

It IS more of the field the D will have to prepare to defend as opposed to facing Hoyer, that's for sure, I hope RM and the WRs are running a lot of mid to deep routes this week in practice, it's gonna be fun seeing RM connect on some Sunday.

I would not trust O'B, he is not a good coach, but let us hope that Mallett does start.

Any season football fan that saw the Cleveland game last Nov. And the last six min of last week game and can't see that Ryan is far better then Hoyer is biased or Don' t know football.
Ryan was in the top ten QB' in the league at Cleveland and last Sun game.
It would make one wonder what is going on.

presidenthog

Quote from: threeNout on September 16, 2015, 05:31:15 pm

What I am afraid of is that they run a similar system to the pats and work a short to intermediate passing game instead of a style where they get more vertical which is mallets game. I'm not sure if they have the WR personel to run this system also. I would need a more informed opinion but I'm almost positive that is how it is though.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawgXi on September 16, 2015, 04:29:01 pm

Mallett throws passes that Hoyer only dreams of being able to throw.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HogWall Jackson

RM is the kind of guy that Houston Fans really like. He has the SWAG and is willing to Let it Rip! He is a confident young QB and it shows. His OL is quite suspect at this point, hopefully it gets better.

threeNout

Quote from: presidenthog on September 16, 2015, 05:53:32 pm
What I am afraid of is that they run a similar system to the pats and work a short to intermediate passing game instead of a style where they get more vertical which is mallets game. I'm not sure if they have the WR personel to run this system also. I would need a more informed opinion but I'm almost positive that is how it is though.

If they didn't try to play to RM's strengths some, it would be a huge coaching mistake.

RMs arm can "make" WRs, your average WR can become a "deep threat" WR if he get's in tune with Mallett.

Just the extra speed the ball was being delivered in during that last 6 mins on Sunday, was giving WRs extra space and time to get upfield.

presidenthog

Quote from: threeNout on September 16, 2015, 06:15:53 pm
If they didn't try to play to RM's strengths some, it would be a huge coaching mistake.

RMs arm can "make" WRs, your average WR can become a "deep threat" WR if he get's in tune with Mallett.

Just the extra speed the ball was being delivered in during that last 6 mins on Sunday, was giving WRs extra space and time to get upfield.

well during the preseason the pats never changed thier play calling for mallett and from all accounts OB is a mini belichick.

The Divine Swine

So how good is the Carolina Panthers defense?
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Hogarusa

Quote from: The Divine Swine on September 16, 2015, 06:43:47 pm
So how good is the Carolina Panthers defense?

A very good one, they are a conservative offensive team that relies on their defense to win games.  Carolina will be my starting fantasy D this weekend in the league of all fantasy leagues, the NWAFFL
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

The Divine Swine

Quote from: Hogarusa on September 16, 2015, 06:48:58 pm
A very good one, they are a conservative offensive team that relies on their defense to win games.  Carolina will be my starting fantasy D this weekend in the league of all fantasy leagues, the NWAFFL

Tough defense to get the nod for, but at least if he does well his status as the starter would be solidified.
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

bigred223

Shocker... Hoyer is trash. I hope Ryan does well.

BartIV

I may be totally wrong but I don't see O'Brien being a good NFL coach. Either an nfl coordinator or college head coach

seasonhog

Quote from: bigred223 on September 16, 2015, 07:57:31 pm
Shocker... Hoyer is trash. I hope Ryan does well.

The Texan would have been better off to keep Fitz instead of Hoyer.....

If they give Ryan a few game's he will rank in the top ten QB in the league.

wholehog92

Quote from: threeNout on September 16, 2015, 06:15:53 pm

Here's what I said back when RM missed a practice after the idiot chose Hoyer.  If you think Obrien intends to take advantage of RM's strength, I believe you are going to be disappointed.  The NFL is purposely catering to aggressive offenses.  Not taking advantage of that is a losing proposition.

Quote from: wholehog92 on August 28, 2015, 10:31:46 am
Looking at the statistics both have put up, I don't see how one has beaten the other.  I can understand RM's anger.  I don't think he's handling it well either.

I've watched all the pre season games, RM has made 1 pass I think was a bad decision, I'd say Hoyer has made 2 bad throws.  Ryan made a bad decision, Hoyer made bad throws.  None of them were picked.  Those three throws summarize the situation nicely though.  Ryan has the talent and doesn't make as many crappy throws, Hoyer has the experience and doesn't make as many crappy decisions.

Here's where I don't think RM had the opportunity Hoyer did.  The Texans are setting up to be the most conservative offense in the NFL.  That plays into Hoyer's strength and is likely why Obrien prefers him.  That said, I thought RM has shown he's very capable of running dink and dunk passes very well during the pre-season.  He's 15/18 for goodness sakes.

I do think the Texans will be the worst offense in the NFL this season regardless of QB.  Watching them call plays this pre-season is painful to watch.  If I'm a Texan fan, I'm far less worried about the QB decision than I am the HC/OC decision.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

presidenthog

Quote from: wholehog92 on September 16, 2015, 11:20:02 pm
Here's what I said back when RM missed a practice after the idiot chose Hoyer.  If you think Obrien intends to take advantage of RM's strength, I believe you are going to be disappointed.  The NFL is purposely catering to aggressive offenses.  Not taking advantage of that is a losing proposition.

I knew I was right in my assumption. I remember hearing thier offense is dink and dunk.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: seasonhog on September 16, 2015, 10:42:14 pm
The Texan would have been better off to keep Fitz instead of Hoyer.....

If they give Ryan a few game's he will rank in the top ten QB in the league.
Fitzpatrick has a low ceiling...you've seen the best of him and his talent will get you a 7-9 season at best....Ryan Mallett on the other hand has a ceiling of talent that hasn't been even approached. O' Brien knew last year that two, maybe 3 years of 7-9 or worse makes you a member of the N-F-L (not for long) club. Mallett will save O'Brien's job and will quickly become the second most favorite Houston Texan, firmly entrenched right behind #99
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Iwastherein1969

and put this in your pipe and smoke it....take the Texans plus the small spot (3) vs the faves, the Carolina Panthers....the Texans win outright
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Buff

Quote from: threeNout on September 16, 2015, 05:42:10 pm
Hoyer?,  I almost had a QB rating of 12.3 last Sunday, and I didn't even get off the couch.

I hit the tv with the remote Saturday.  Does that count?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Buff on September 17, 2015, 07:45:54 am
I hit the tv with the remote Saturday.  Does that count?
Tight spiral or wobbly ???

DLUXHOG

Quote from: HogginTexarkana on September 16, 2015, 04:12:13 pm

Already posted, links and all....
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=598677.0
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

k.c.hawg

Quote from: blunts4mallett on September 16, 2015, 04:34:42 pm
Houstonian here as well. Couldn't agree more. I almost think O'Brien knew this would happen all along. That chip he put on Mallett's shoulder on national television is going to make Mallett fire off on all cylinders this Sunday. Watch out AFC South.

Belichick and Brady have made a long list of terrible coaches and front office people filthy rich. From Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel, Josh McDaniels, Bill O'Brien, Scott Pioli, Thomas Dimitroff.......they all suck, have all run institutions into the ground and walk around with Belichick's arrogance like they have conquered the game of football. I am so damn glad that Pioli is gone and feel bad for all Texans fans having to deal with that piece of crap O'Brien. They all think they will go somewhere and do it the Patriot way, be secretive, be an ass, bring in players that Belichick evaluated, front office people that worked for Belichick..... not a single one of them have ever had an original idea, not a single one of them realize that was the Belichick/Brady show....they were just allowed to tag along..........and go on to make millions.

I almost gave up 20+ year season tickets over Pioli. Damn glad O'Brien didn't have the sense to start Mallet against the Chiefs last week or we probably lose that game. Hope Mallett didn't commit career suicide trusting that ass clown and going to play for him. Good luck to your Texans.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

hoglady

Quote from: k.c.hawg on September 17, 2015, 11:09:55 am
Belichick and Brady have made a long list of terrible coaches and front office people filthy rich. From Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel, Josh McDaniels, Bill O'Brien, Scott Pioli, Thomas Dimitroff.......they all suck, have all run institutions into the ground and walk around with Belichick's arrogance like they have conquered the game of football. I am so damn glad that Pioli is gone and feel bad for all Texans fans having to deal with that piece of crap O'Brien. They all think they will go somewhere and do it the Patriot way, be secretive, be an ass, bring in players that Belichick evaluated, front office people that worked for Belichick..... not a single one of them have ever had an original idea, not a single one of them realize that was the Belichick/Brady show....they were just allowed to tag along..........and go on to make millions.

I almost gave up 20+ year season tickets over Pioli. Damn glad O'Brien didn't have the sense to start Mallet against the Chiefs last week or we probably lose that game. Hope Mallett didn't commit career suicide trusting that ass clown and going to play for him. Good luck to your Texans.

Many a coach has ruined the career of a promising young QB.
If O'Brien gives Mallett time to really get his feet wet I think he will be fine / if he plays musical chairs with Mallett and Hoyer the results could be really bad.
Look what the Redskins did to RGIII.
They played him hurt instead having the foresight to protect his/their future.
They ruined him.

bennyl08

Quote"He's a decisive player," O'Brien said of newly-minted starter Ryan Mallett on Thursday. "Let it rip and go play quarterback."

This is what BOB said recently. Do you think he actually intends to let Mallet rip the ball or not? I'm hoping he will...
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

wholehog92

Quote from: bennyl08 on September 17, 2015, 07:15:35 pm
This is what BOB said recently. Do you think he actually intends to let Mallet rip the ball or not? I'm hoping he will...

My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

DeltaBoy

Ryan needs to get out there and produce a win and leave that punk kid on the bench.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

AirForceHog

hog.goblin

3 dropped balls so far but manages a FG on the 2nd drive

HawgWild

Would not surprise me to see Hoyer start the 2nd half.