Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hoyer named Texans starting QB over Mallett

Started by checkraiser88, August 24, 2015, 08:47:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on August 24, 2015, 11:53:42 am
Wouldn't be the first quarterback who played lights out in college and never did quite make it in the NFL.

Getting a job as a starting NFL Qb may be the toughest gig to get in all of professional sports.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hoglady

Quote from: hawgsalot on August 24, 2015, 11:35:59 am
The crazies thing of all is Mallett getting a whole 2 series with the starters in his preseason start.  Heck the game before Hoyer only got one series.  If your trying to decide a QB battle that's razor thin then I would want more series than that.  Mallett outplayed Hoyer by a long shot last year when they played late in the season.  Hoyer is horrible if Ryan truly can't beat him out it's over for Ryan long term I'm afraid.

I think the point is - there was never truly a QB battle.
Hoyer was the starter the moment he signed. Mallett had to beat him out by a lot to get the start / or Hoyer had to just really be bad in practice.
Hoyer is probably better suited to what O'Brien wants to do. Manage the game, period.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2015, 11:55:27 am
Getting a job as a starting NFL Qb may be the toughest gig to get in all of professional sports.

That bench press injury cost Mallett a lot - possibly his career.
If that doesn't happen - he gets his shot last year to prove himself.
Maybe he does great or maybe he flops - but at least he would have gotten his chance in game situations.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Tusks

If RM isn't going to get to throw the long ball then he's not going to succeed widely in the NFL.

When you go 10-11 for 70 yards you're not going to showcase your talents and your team isn't going to win.  Say what you want about RM but he throws a great long ball and he needs to get a chance to throw them.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hawginbigd1

He didn't look good Saturday! Got rid of the ball way to quick IMO, didn't throw to receivers with an opportunity to make yards. Last pass was to a receiver that was blanketed 5 yards short of the line to gain with no pressure in the pocket.

hoglady

Quote from: tusked on August 24, 2015, 12:02:11 pm
If RM isn't going to get to throw the long ball then he's not going to succeed widely in the NFL.

When you go 10-11 for 70 yards you're not going to showcase your talents and your team isn't going to win.  Say what you want about RM but he throws a great long ball and he needs to get a chance to throw them.

Once Hoyer was signed by the Texans - I was hoping Mallett would take a shot with another team.
Mallett never got the chance to showcase his best asset this preseason. I hope Houston trades him away / maybe a team will come knocking that has a competent RB - the Texans could sure use one.

hogsanity

Quote from: hoglady on August 24, 2015, 12:09:16 pm
Once Hoyer was signed by the Texans - I was hoping Mallett would take a shot with another team.
Mallett never got the chance to showcase his best asset this preseason. I hope Houston trades him away / maybe a team will come knocking that has a competent RB - the Texans could sure use one.

RB's are a dime a dozen in the nfl. They are almost expendable, unless you have one of the elite ones like Petersen. They rarely have long careers anymore either, the pounding is just too great. While I am far from a cowboys fan, I thought letting Murray go was a great move.

Most nfl teams are just risk averse in the passing game, and the ones that are not already have a QB to do what they want to do ( Denver, NYG, Seattle ).
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pork Twain

What?.?.?  RM had to earn the starting position?  That is crazy talk.  I have absolutely no doubt that if RM would have come in and lit it up, the job would have been his.  Apparently he did not.  He still could, who knows.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

presidenthog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 24, 2015, 10:20:55 am
That's what you hear. Then he goes out in games and goes 10/11
look I'm pulling for him. but that is word for word what chris mortensen said about him.

bennyl08

First, Hoyer is not that bad of a qb. He'd certainly win the starting job in Buffalo and the Jets as well and at least give Foles a run for his money in St. Louis. However, Mallett needs to be in an offense like they have in Arizona, basically the same offense we ran under Petrino.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

Anybody been watching hard knocks?

This may all be editing but when you see Hoyer vs. Mallett in terms of demeanor and other things Hoyer looks very professional compared to Ryan. Just watching the 2 first episodes you could tell that Hoyer would end up beating Mallett for the starting spot more for that than the actual on the field performance.
PanamaHOG
Representing the Razorbacks down in PTY

DLUXHOG

Quote from: SamBuckhart on August 24, 2015, 10:00:02 am
Its a long season. With many injuries. Just hope he makes the most of his opportunities. When is the last time the HOGS had a starting QB in the NFL ? Clint Stoerner maybe? Regular season, I mean.

Scott Bull started 2 games for the San Francisco 49er's in 1976 (then lost out to Jim Plunkett...} and then for 5 games in 1978 (then lost out to Steve DeBerg...)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hoglady

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2015, 12:13:37 pm
RB's are a dime a dozen in the nfl. They are almost expendable, unless you have one of the elite ones like Petersen. They rarely have long careers anymore either, the pounding is just too great. While I am far from a cowboys fan, I thought letting Murray go was a great move.

Most nfl teams are just risk averse in the passing game, and the ones that are not already have a QB to do what they want to do ( Denver, NYG, Seattle ).

Well - Houston needs to find 1 or 2 of them.
In fact, the entire Houston offense has looked pretty bad.

hogsanity

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 24, 2015, 12:34:33 pm
First, Hoyer is not that bad of a qb. He'd certainly win the starting job in Buffalo and the Jets as well and at least give Foles a run for his money in St. Louis. However, Mallett needs to be in an offense like they have in Arizona, basically the same offense we ran under Petrino.

IF a team is not going to throw a lot of deep crosses, deep outs, and post patterns, they do not need RM. That is what a guy with his arm is built for. IF they are going to throw 25 dump off passes a gmae and hit the te's on 7 yard curls, they need a guy like Hoyer.

hogfan14

hawgsalot

Quote from: hoglady on August 24, 2015, 11:57:41 am
I think the point is - there was never truly a QB battle.
Hoyer was the starter the moment he signed. Mallett had to beat him out by a lot to get the start / or Hoyer had to just really be bad in practice.
Hoyer is probably better suited to what O'Brien wants to do. Manage the game, period.

If that's a mistake Ryan made a grave mistake it appears not signing with a different team.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgsalot on August 24, 2015, 01:10:49 pm
If that's a mistake Ryan made a grave mistake it appears not signing with a different team.

That is assuming there was another team offering him a contract to sign.

hogfan14

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2015, 01:13:58 pm
That is assuming there was another team offering him a contract to sign.

I think the Jets were interested.

But didn't he sign before they brought Hoyer in? Can't remember

WarPig88

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 24, 2015, 11:43:58 am
Went 9-7 in his first year as an NFL HC. Not too shabby. Not saying he doesn't have the potential to go 1-15 this year, though. I'm not even a Texans guy but I'm also not going to sit behind a keyboard and pretend that I know more about football or a team that I have no hand in over a guy who's been around football since 1993.

I have multiple IQ scores that say I am smarter than 95% of the population. So don't project your potential onto me.

A guy with 17 professional starts should be head and shoulders better than a guy who has had only two. If all things are as even as have been reported, then it only makes sense that they guy with 2 starts will most likely be better after the same amount of starts.

In this particular competition, when you look at the passing numbers, they look even until you remove the best completions for both. Half of Hoyer's pre season yards came on one play. He also has the lower completion % and has taken 2 sacks to Mallett's none.

Hoyer is a proven commodity at this point and that proven value is underwhelming to say the least.

lstewart

I think Ryan is at the point now that if he continues to work hard and be a good teammate, he should be able to find a slot on a roster as a veteran back-up QB for another 4 to 5 years, assuming he does not get a real chance to play and do enough to hold on to a starting job at some point. If Hoyer goes down and Ryan gets to play some and is solid, he could become what Hoyer is now, an experienced QB good enough to start for a team that does not have a star. Otherwise a hardworking healthy QB with a strong arm can make a good living as a back-up for a long time.

urkillnmesmalls

That's not RM's type of offense.  I'm not shocked.  Hoyer is not fleet of foot, but he would make RM look like he's running in mud.  If all you're going to do is throw short dump offs and button hooks to the TE, then why wouldn't you go with the guy who is more mobile? 

The league continues to prove out that a solid 3 and 5 step drop QB with a strong arm is the way to go long term.  You have some flukes along the way like the Superbowl win by Kaepernick, but those are not common.  I would have expected a team looking for that type of style to go after him, and when they didn't, it starts to make you wonder...what's the real story there?   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Atl_Hog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 24, 2015, 04:15:33 pm
That's not RM's type of offense.  I'm not shocked.  Hoyer is not fleet of foot, but he would make RM look like he's running in mud.  If all you're going to do is throw short dump offs and button hooks to the TE, then why wouldn't you go with the guy who is more mobile? 

The league continues to prove out that a solid 3 and 5 step drop QB with a strong arm is the way to go long term.  You have some flukes along the way like the Superbowl win by Kaepernick, but those are not common.  I would have expected a team looking for that type of style to go after him, and when they didn't, it starts to make you wonder...what's the real story there?   

What alternate world do you live in? Flacco and the Ravens won that Superbowl  ::)
Wooo Pig Sooie!!!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Atl_Hog on August 24, 2015, 04:20:15 pm
What alternate world do you live in? Flacco and the Ravens won that Superbowl  ::)

See, I told you mobile quarterbacks are mostly hype, and media darlings because of the "excitement factor."  Hyped him all the way to a Superbowl win in my mind.   ;)

Point is...he's the prototypical successful style QB in the NFL, and learned under Brady like Cassell...but he's not latching on.  It's odd, because even people who I know in the NE area were mystified by how well he threw in practice.  Side by side with Brady..they said it was apparent who had the stronger arm, and it wasn't even close. 

So the raw talent is there...and arm strength is a big deal in the NFL, minus some Montana type exceptions (He did win a Superbowl didn't he?  :) ), and he learned from some of the best.  I guess he's more Jarmarcus Russell than we want to think, which stinks.  I wanted to see him light up the NFL.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hoglady

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 24, 2015, 04:15:33 pm

But when would that have happened?
They would have to have signed him this spring - when he was still rehabbing from pec surgery. I don't think he started throwing again until late June / early July.
The offense sure didn't allow he or Hoyer to throw deep in the preseason. I figured they wanted to see Mallett throw short, accurately. Which he did very well.
Oh well - we'll see what happens from here / there are worse jobs than making 3.5 million a year to sit the bench.

Atl_Hog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 24, 2015, 04:27:22 pm
See, I told you mobile quarterbacks are mostly hype, and media darlings because of the "excitement factor."  Hyped him all the way to a Superbowl win in my mind.   ;)

Point is...he's the prototypical successful style QB in the NFL, and learned under Brady like Cassell...but he's not latching on.  It's odd, because even people who I know in the NE area were mystified by how well he threw in practice.  Side by side with Brady..they said it was apparent who had the stronger arm, and it wasn't even close. 

So the raw talent is there...and arm strength is a big deal in the NFL, minus some Montana type exceptions (He did win a Superbowl didn't he?  :) ), and he learned from some of the best.  I guess he's more Jarmarcus Russell than we want to think, which stinks.  I wanted to see him light up the NFL.     

Agree with your thoughts. I hoped the same but sadly I think this might have been his last "good" chance at making it happen. Can't imagine what it does to his psyche as well to not be named the starter. Hopefully he has the mental fortitude to stay ready for if/when that opportunity comes again.
Wooo Pig Sooie!!!

hoglady

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 24, 2015, 04:27:22 pm

J. Russell, really??
I don't think you can label any QB anything until they get multiple starts in the NFL / got to have a body of work with the lights on.
Where would Brady be today if Bledsoe hadn't gotten hurt when he did?

hoglady

Well - I hope Mallett has more faith in himself than some of you who are writing him off.
Not time for that just yet.
He's still coming off an injury that stopped him from throwing for about 8 months.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hoglady on August 24, 2015, 04:31:05 pm
But when would that have happened?
They would have to have signed him this spring - when he was still rehabbing from pec surgery. I don't think he started throwing again until late June / early July.
The offense sure didn't allow he or Hoyer to throw deep in the preseason. I figured they wanted to see Mallett throw short, accurately. Which he did very well.
Oh well - we'll see what happens from here / there are worse jobs than making 3.5 million a year to sit the bench.

I was thinking before the move to Houston, but yeah...I can definitely see the lack of interest following the injury.  Cassell just got lucky enough to get to play in the Patriot system when Brady was out, and his stock went through the roof.  Mallett unfortunately never got that chance, so he's having to do it the hard way. 

I'm just stunned that with that much raw talent and an apparently good football IQ...he hasn't gotten more attention.  It's just one of those mysteries of the NFL...

hoglady

Quote from: Atl_Hog on August 24, 2015, 04:32:41 pm
Agree with your thoughts. I hoped the same but sadly I think this might have been his last "good" chance at making it happen. Can't imagine what it does to his psyche as well to not be named the starter. Hopefully he has the mental fortitude to stay ready for if/when that opportunity comes again.

He's got about 3.5 million reasons to be ready.
If he's not strong enough to endure one lost QB competition - then he probably shouldn't be in the NFL.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hoglady on August 24, 2015, 04:37:32 pm
J. Russell, really??
I don't think you can label any QB anything until they get multiple starts in the NFL / got to have a body of work with the lights on.
Where would Brady be today if Bledsoe hadn't gotten hurt when he did?

I'm speaking in terms of raw talent...arm strength.  That's not a good comparison...he's not chugging cough syrup.  I get that.  It just stinks that he's not getting more playing time.  I'm not taking shots at him...he's the best QB at the UA I've ever seen. 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Sadly, this situation illustrates quite well a conversation I had with my brother a few months back.

We agreed that far too many times, especially at the QB position, a player can have what it takes and due to going to the wrong teams at the wrong times, find themselves out of the league.

Another unfortunate fact is that a QB that has sat for 6 or more years will probably have a difficult time finding someone to even give him a chance.   Who wants a 6 year veteran rookie?

Mallett's situation is more and more starting to look like a worst case scenario for a legit starting NFL QB talent.

BOOOOOO!!!!   O'Brien!!!!

Why not showcase and then trade him?   He's obviously NOT what fits into your overly conservative offensive package.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Atlhogfan1

IMO Mallett does not fit the "Patriot" offense of short throw short throw short throw.  He is a higher risk high reward qb who can make short throws most of the time.  Bad fit.  The physical attributes are there.  Perhaps it is decision making or finesse that is holding him back.  But I'm not surprised a weaker armed qb in the "Patriots" system is getting the start.  It is about decision making and short accuracy over ability.  The NFL is most often about fewest mistakes on offense than about playmaking which I can understand given talent difference isn't often great.  Hoyer may win the Texans some games and is safe.  A qb like Mallett gives them the chance for more but isn't as safe. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jesterzzn

He's never going to be Marino, but if he can find someone willing to put him in a game he'll win for them.  He's a gamer, and gamers need to play to show they can play.  Some coaches get it, others don't.  Mallet would be a perfect QB for Rex Ryan.  They fit like skittles and sprite.

hoglady

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 24, 2015, 04:46:29 pm
I'm speaking in terms of raw talent...arm strength.  That's not a good comparison...he's not chugging cough syrup.  I get that.  It just stinks that he's not getting more playing time.  I'm not taking shots at him...he's the best QB at the UA I've ever seen. 

Mallett told his agent in March he wanted to stay in Houston "at all costs" - if at all possible.
His contract was announced on March 9.
(Then Hoyer was signed on March 11th with quite a bit more guaranteed money).
Not sure how much Mallett even tested the market last spring - Houston was where he wanted to be.

hogfan14

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 24, 2015, 04:44:18 pm
I was thinking before the move to Houston, but yeah...I can definitely see the lack of interest following the injury.  Cassell just got lucky enough to get to play in the Patriot system when Brady was out, and his stock went through the roof.  Mallett unfortunately never got that chance, so he's having to do it the hard way. 

I'm just stunned that with that much raw talent and an apparently good football IQ...he hasn't gotten more attention.  It's just one of those mysteries of the NFL...

There are quite a bit of guys with similar arm strength that just happen to be backups too though...Zach Mettenberger and Mike Glennon for example. Both would probably start on some teams like the Jets or Bills. Mallett had a much better college career than either one but he also had a hell of a QB coach. He just needs to make the most of his opportunity when it comes and be consistent

jkstock04

This news really sucks. Hoyer? Really? Mind blowing to me Mallett didn't beat him out. This was probably Malletts last chance....minus an injury to Hoyer I would say his chances of becoming a starting NFL qb are 100% done.

Our chances of seeing a former Hog...starting NFL qb for the foreseeable future are out now as well. Oh well, I guess there are worse tragedies...but I really thought he had NFL qb written all over him. One could argue he got hosed from the bad press and rumors of his past during the combine...but by now he should've been able to overcome that and earned a starting spot if it was going to happen.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Quote from: Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424) on August 24, 2015, 12:43:40 pm
Anybody been watching hard knocks?

This may all be editing but when you see Hoyer vs. Mallett in terms of demeanor and other things Hoyer looks very professional compared to Ryan. Just watching the 2 first episodes you could tell that Hoyer would end up beating Mallett for the starting spot more for that than the actual on the field performance.
This is exactly what someone just told me as well. I'm gonna have to get on that on demand and go back and watch it and see for myself. I figured he would've out grew that stuff but I guess not.

I'll say this there are certain things expected from the franchise qb. It's a completely different animal than any other position because you are the face of the program.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

farmhawg

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on August 24, 2015, 11:31:16 am
Hard Knocks spoiler alert!

Though really this hasn't been the best season of that show so far.
It has been very weak.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

jesterzzn

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 24, 2015, 05:37:20 pm
This is exactly what someone just told me as well. I'm gonna have to get on that on demand and go back and watch it and see for myself. I figured he would've out grew that stuff but I guess not.

I'll say this there are certain things expected from the franchise qb. It's a completely different animal than any other position because you are the face of the program.

If you are selecting your QB based on how he presents himself for the media, well, you probably aren't going to be coaching very long.  I hope that wasn't the deciding factor, but if it was I'd hate to be a Texans fan.  And I am speaking in general, not about Mallett's situation specifically.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Anti Arkansas sentiment permeates the state of Texas.

O'brien seems like a real jerk on hard knocks. 

Hogarusa

Dang this thread seems to be really reaching on why Mallett isnt starting.  How do you argue any of this:

Aaron Wilson  ✔@AaronWilson_NFL
Edge for Brian Hoyer comes down to experience, consistency, decision-making, less practice interceptions, gut feeling
8:35 AM - 24 Aug 2015

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hawgXi

Quote from: SamBuckhart on August 24, 2015, 10:00:02 am
Its a long season. With many injuries. Just hope he makes the most of his opportunities. When is the last time the HOGS had a starting QB in the NFL ? Clint Stoerner maybe? Regular season, I mean.

Tavarius Jackson

threeNout

Quote from: Hogarusa on August 24, 2015, 07:06:10 pm

Aaron Wilson  ✔@AaronWilson_NFL
Edge for Brian Hoyer comes down to experience, consistency, decision-making, less practice interceptions, gut feeling.

makes you wonder if the first 4 things were true, why he needed to resort to a gut feeling.

rude1

Quote from: hogfan14 on August 24, 2015, 01:09:15 pm
From reports the decision was made based on their play mostly in practice and not the preseason games

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/635807586525143040

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/635808119113646080
"but ultimately not enough to unseat Brian Hoyer", that quote right there leads one to believe it was at least this reporters belief it was Hoyers job and Ryan had to take it in order to be named the starter, otherwise you don't need to "unseat" a player if there is an open competition where you both come in equally.

Atlhogfan1

It was Hoyer's to lose with O'Brien as HC. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

alohawg

Well then Jerry should trade with them, Weeden for Mallett straight up. Let Ryan shine in big D in a couple years and stretch the field there while Dez is in his prime.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Pig In The City

Listening to Houston sports talk and he was saying as soon as Hoyer was brought in Mallet was dead in the water. He says it is an owner decision and that Hoyer is a mediocre player at best. This guy knew this was coming and said he wasn't buying their BS. If you watched hard knocks you could tell it was a done deal.

Lake City Hog

Look, it is really pretty simple, Coaches and GM's make mistakes. San Fran had Montana and Steve Young as the backup while how many teams had completely awful starters.

Look at the QB's drafted pretty high just recently: Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Johnny Manziel, Geno Smith, Tyrod Taylor and E J Manuel. Now try to tell me that those guys don't make mistakes!

http://sportswire.usatoday.com/2015/07/17/qb-rank-nfl-quarterbacks-rankings/

Look who is rated dead last.

I'm not saying Mallett is going to be great or if he will ever even be a starter, I am saying that coaches often take the known commodity over the unknown even if the known is not real good. In 2013 the Browns went 4-12 and in 2014 they went 7-9. In 6 games he did not throw a TD pass!

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on August 24, 2015, 07:24:13 pm
"but ultimately not enough to unseat Brian Hoyer", that quote right there leads one to believe it was at least this reporters belief it was Hoyers job and Ryan had to take it in order to be named the starter, otherwise you don't need to "unseat" a player if there is an open competition where you both come in equally.
I agree......If I were RM I would immediately after preseason be looking to get out of Houston. It is a bad situation all the way around. He needs to go to a team that has a good O line, RB and some stretch the field speed receivers. He is not a dink and dunk passer and never will be. Just a bad spot.