Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hoyer named Texans starting QB over Mallett

Started by checkraiser88, August 24, 2015, 08:47:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: jesterzzn on August 24, 2015, 04:50:25 pm
He's never going to be Marino, but if he can find someone willing to put him in a game he'll win for them.  He's a gamer, and gamers need to play to show they can play.  Some coaches get it, others don't.  Mallet would be a perfect QB for Rex Ryan.  They fit like skittles and sprite.

Agree, but I feel like he kind of got shafted here just like last year.  NE holds on to him until after the season starts and limits his opportunities.

It doesn't seem like he was given a fair shake by Texans and they were already set on Hoyer.  I mean RM is named starter for game 2 but then only gets 2 series.

Now deep into camp his only choice is to be the backup or be released.  Maybe Houston went ahead and named Hoyer the starter so teams with QB need might come to them and express interest. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

threeNout

QuoteI know that just because I'm named the starter today doesn't mean if we go out there and lose a bunch of games that I'm going to still be the starter.

BH

jesterzzn

Quote from: Hogarusa on August 24, 2015, 07:06:10 pm
Dang this thread seems to be really reaching on why Mallett isnt starting.  How do you argue any of this:

Aaron Wilson  ✔@AaronWilson_NFL
Edge for Brian Hoyer comes down to experience, consistency, decision-making, less practice interceptions, gut feeling
8:35 AM - 24 Aug 2015

Because...

Experience is a weird metric when neither have ever been more than a mid-season replacement.

Consistent isn't what I would call Hoyer, at least not based on his experience.

Decision Making is probably the best argument, mostly because its the most subjective and impossible for fans to read in to with any certainty.  Coach says it, so it is...which is fine, but not really definitive.

Less practice interceptions is situational.  Not worth arguing since I don't watch practice.  I'll just again point out Mallett is a gamer.  His talent leads him to take more risks during practice to test his limits.  Maybe that is a knock on his play, or maybe its the kind of spark that can fuel an offense.  Mallett's history suggests guys love to play for and with him.

Gut Feeling is what all that other crap really boils down to.  Hoyer gets the nod because the coach brought him in to run his offense, and he fits this system better than Mallett.  Which is fine.  He doesn't really need to explain his choice, he only has to live with the consequences.  If the Texans go out and win some games and Hoyer moves the ball, no big deal.  If the offense struggles and Hoyer looks overwhelmed, well, Mallett may make mistakes and sometimes presses and tries to do too much, but I've never seen him look rattled by the speed of the game like I've seen from Hoyer.

My gut says Mallett is the better QB, and its not really as close as stats in preseason can make it look.  Just watch the guys play the game.  Mallett looks the part on the field.  He commands the huddle and in in command of the field.  Hoyer looks the part in the locker room and in front of a microphone.  He also commands the huddle, but looks lost at times when the defense takes away the inside hooks.

I have to think that the NFL coaches see this too, so to me, this boils down to comfort level on the part of the head coach.  Mallett is a gunslinger at heart, and that makes some coaches nervous.  Hell it made me nervous while he was here.  But like I said, if you are a NFL coach and you are scared of a gunslinger QB you probably won't be a coach for long.

King

Right now Mallett is in a better position, career-wise, than the following quarterbacks drafted higher than him:

E.J. Manuel
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
Jake Locker

Some of these guys are in the "oh yeah that guy" category.

hoglady

Quote from: King on August 24, 2015, 09:58:06 pm
Right now Mallett is in a better position, career-wise, than the following quarterbacks drafted higher than him:

E.J. Manuel
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
Jake Locker

Some of these guys are in the "oh yeah that guy" category.

I think Locker already has called it quits, due to the hits.
He had a couple of concussions.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 24, 2015, 08:45:55 pm
Agree, but I feel like he kind of got shafted here just like last year.  NE holds on to him until after the season starts and limits his opportunities.

It doesn't seem like he was given a fair shake by Texans and they were already set on Hoyer.  I mean RM is named starter for game 2 but then only gets 2 series.

Now deep into camp his only choice is to be the backup or be released.  Maybe Houston went ahead and named Hoyer the starter so teams with QB need might come to them and express interest. 

I wonder when Mallett signed his contract on March 9th / if he knew the Texans were working a deal to sign Hoyer and pay him more money?
I know most think it was Mallett's starting job to lose / but I'm firmly in the camp that it was Hoyer's job to lose.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hog.goblin

Quote from: Hakuna Matata on August 24, 2015, 08:58:09 am
The Texans have lost all of their big name play makers anyways. They have no Andre Johnson or Arian Foster to help take the pressure off the QB. It might better to not start at the moment with so much uncertainty on the offense.

This.  It's better to be the starter because you know you'll get a chance.  But Houston will struggle early under Hoyer.  RM will get his chance (again).  Maybe after a 10-day break after they lose to the Colts.

Either way, he has a future in the league as a capable back up.  If I'm almost any team in the league I want him as my #2.

upperdeck_hawg

His two series against Denver, he looked awful. He threw two balls that were total mis-reads and should never have been thrown. One should have been picked off. I guess this is the decision making referenced in the tweet.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hoglady on August 24, 2015, 04:55:12 pm
Mallett told his agent in March he wanted to stay in Houston "at all costs" - if at all possible.
His contract was announced on March 9.
(Then Hoyer was signed on March 11th with quite a bit more guaranteed money).
Not sure how much Mallett even tested the market last spring - Houston was where he wanted to be.

I thought we were past that.   ???  I'm going back to the days in NE when I would have expected more teams looking for a true drop back passer with a strong arm to give him a shot.  He had the pedigree, coaching, and the mentor (Brady).  Yet there were limited suitors.  Conversely, Cassell was lucky enough to actually get some playing time while Brady was out injured, and he did very well in that system and completed a career high 63% of his passes, which he has not duplicated since.  He signed a nice contract in KC to be the starter as a result of 2008 in NE. 

Mallett just needs a solid chance, which he had last season, but the fluke pectoral injury came at exactly the wrong time.  He's a better QB than Hoyer.  He just needs a team that will allow for some growing pains in the outset, but it just seems crazy to think he's not better than a lot of the starting QB's in the league right now, and especially Hoyer. 

It's a head scratcher.  Obviously, something isn't clicking. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ComeonHogs!!!

I think jezterzzn is on to something. OB just was not going to take a chance. He knows what he has in hoyer. he has 17 games under his belt. he will play 500 ball for him. if Texans have a bad year he can blame it on QB and get another year. if they improve a couple games he looks like a hero.

With mallett if they lose blame goes all on OB. Just bad luck for mallett. This head coach was not going to take a chance on his career.

what will be fun to watch is off season. mallett signed a 2 year deal. no way texans keep him for next year. he will be on the market again, even though i am not a dallas fan they very well could be in the market. what a smack down if they pick up mallett and he becomes the starter and plays well. i would love to see the fall out from that.
State Pride!!!

Hogarusa

Quote from: ComeonHogs!!! on August 25, 2015, 04:13:46 am

what will be fun to watch is off season. mallett signed a 2 year deal. no way texans keep him for next year. he will be on the market again, even though i am not a dallas fan they very well could be in the market. what a smack down if they pick up mallett and he becomes the starter and plays well. i would love to see the fall out from that.

Yes, he cant beat out Hoyer in Houston due to politics, mind games, coach being cautious and not wanting to lose his job in year 2, owner demands, and other Hogville theories, but he will sign in Dallas and become the starter over Tony Romo, who has an average salary of $18 million through the 2019 season
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

ComeonHogs!!!

yes i see your point. but every now and then at the end of a long thread it is fun to think about the tizzy this would put a bunch of Texas fans over a Arkansas boy. will it happen? probably not thus the reason for the use of "IF and PLAYS WELL"
State Pride!!!

upperdeck_hawg

Our mentality is to support our own no matter what to the point of making excuses. DMac is a perfect example. Great player for us in college, but just not all-pro material. He has no juking ability and has lost a step. All bad things in the NFL where linebackers run 4.5. I fear RM is the same way. He just doesn't have it. We may want to believe that our boy is getting the bad end of the deal, but the truth is these NFL coaches are professionals who see things in game and in practice that they base their decisions on. It's a cut-throat league and there is no way they are playing favorites or there are hidden agendas that our preventing our boys from starting. It's in their interest to win now and win with what they think is the best players.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Pork Twain

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 24, 2015, 04:27:22 pm
See, I told you mobile quarterbacks are mostly hype, and media darlings because of the "excitement factor."  Hyped him all the way to a Superbowl win in my mind.   ;)

Point is...he's the prototypical successful style QB in the NFL, and learned under Brady like Cassell...but he's not latching on.  It's odd, because even people who I know in the NE area were mystified by how well he threw in practice.  Side by side with Brady..they said it was apparent who had the stronger arm, and it wasn't even close. 

So the raw talent is there...and arm strength is a big deal in the NFL, minus some Montana type exceptions (He did win a Superbowl didn't he?  :) ), and he learned from some of the best.  I guess he's more Jarmarcus Russell than we want to think, which stinks.  I wanted to see him light up the NFL.     
I guess there is more to being an NFL quarterback than having a strong arm...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hoglady

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on August 25, 2015, 08:56:52 am
Our mentality is to support our own no matter what to the point of making excuses. DMac is a perfect example. Great player for us in college, but just not all-pro material. He has no juking ability and has lost a step. All bad things in the NFL where linebackers run 4.5. I fear RM is the same way. He just doesn't have it. We may want to believe that our boy is getting the bad end of the deal, but the truth is these NFL coaches are professionals who see things in game and in practice that they base their decisions on. It's a cut-throat league and there is no way they are playing favorites or there are hidden agendas that our preventing our boys from starting. It's in their interest to win now and win with what they think is the best players.

I believe that Hoyer is a better fit for what O'Brien wants to do which is manage games.
Doesn't make Hoyer a better QB than Mallett and doesn't mean that Mallett doesn't have it to be a starting NFL QB. Mallett has been in the same offensive system since being drafted - a system that showcases his weaknesses.
But I still think Mallett looked better in his first NFL start last year than I've ever seen Brian Hoyer look.
Am I a homer in regard to Mallett - you bet. He's got the talent / but sometimes you just have to be the right fit for the offensive system being run.
If all these coaches made the right choices - Saban wouldn't have turned away Brees and the Pittsburgh Steelers wouldn't have cut Johnny Unitas (believing he wasn't smart enough to play QB).

hogsanity

Quote from: hoglady on August 25, 2015, 09:22:30 am
I believe that Hoyer is a better fit for what O'Brien wants to do which is manage games.
Doesn't make Hoyer a better QB than Mallett and doesn't mean that Mallett doesn't have it to be a starting NFL QB. Mallett has been in the same offensive system since being drafted - a system that showcases his weaknesses.
But I still think Mallett looked better in his first NFL start last year than I've ever seen Brian Hoyer look.
Am I a homer in regard to Mallett - you bet. He's got the talent / but sometimes you just have to be the right fit for the offensive system being run.
If all these coaches made the right choices - Saban wouldn't have turned away Brees and the Pittsburgh Steelers wouldn't have cut Johnny Unitas (believing he wasn't smart enough to play QB).

Well, there are 32 NFL teams. Each team has several scouts, and guys in the front office who have the job of finding the best players for their teams. There are several teams who need a Qb, yet none, that we have heard anyway, have come calling on the Patriots or Texans to trade for Rm, at least not with any serious offers. The Texans picked him up for basically a throw away pick, and a cheap FA re-signing.

At some point we have to put aside the conspiracy theories, the " he is being kept down by being kept in the wrong offense " and realize the team with the "right" offense for his skill set are not beating down the door trying to sign him or trade for him.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dwight_K_Shrute

Interesting poll on hchron asking people what they think of Hoyer being named starter.

35% Hate it.
33% are ok with it
26% Don't care one way or the other
7% Love it.

What stands out to me is the number that hate it and the number that don't care. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hoglady

Quote from: hogsanity on August 25, 2015, 09:35:06 am
Well, there are 32 NFL teams. Each team has several scouts, and guys in the front office who have the job of finding the best players for their teams. There are several teams who need a Qb, yet none, that we have heard anyway, have come calling on the Patriots or Texans to trade for Rm, at least not with any serious offers. The Texans picked him up for basically a throw away pick, and a cheap FA re-signing.

At some point we have to put aside the conspiracy theories, the " he is being kept down by being kept in the wrong offense " and realize the team with the "right" offense for his skill set are not beating down the door trying to sign him or trade for him.

I didn't say he was being kept down. He chose to stay at Houston. Mallett's statement during the spring was "I told my agent to keep me in Houston at all costs". Maybe he had other options and maybe he didn't. He was still injured, coming off a surgery, hadn't thrown for months and couldn't throw for a few more months. Mallett's injury isn't even being addressed by anyone - and it's affect on how this has all turned out.
That was a serious injury (for a QB who's greatest strength is his big arm) with a long recovery period. Would you trade for an untested QB, coming off a surgery involving his throwing motion, whose rehab wasn't complete?

Iwastherein1969

Didn't O'Brien on HARD KNOCKS in one of their team meetings say something to the effect of outside influences, "I don't where care where you come from or what anybody says from places like Arkansas, TCU,......"   I can't remember nor find the whole rant.  But I do remember O' Brien speaking about Arkansas in some form or another. Does anyone else remember the part of HARD KNOCKS when O' Brien says this ?  I know I wasn't dreaming when I heard Arkansas and TCU come out of his mouth. And I remember thinking, well, why would he say that ? Anyone else remember that quick snippet on the show ?
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

RME

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 25, 2015, 10:10:26 am
Didn't O'Brien on HARD KNOCKS in one of their team meetings say something to the effect of outside influences, "I don't where care where you come from or what anybody says from places like Arkansas, TCU,......"   I can't remember nor find the whole rant.  But I do remember O' Brien speaking about Arkansas in some for or another. Does anyone else remember the part of HARD KNOCKS when O' Brien says this ?  I know I wasn't dreaming when I heard Arkansas and TCU come out of his mouth. And I remember thinking, well, why would he say that ? Anyone else remember that quick snippet on the show ?

Who said what about where on what show?

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 25, 2015, 10:13:27 am
Who said what about where on what show?
the who = Coach Bill O' Brien, Houston Texans

the where = Arkansas, TCU and some other place I cannot recall

the show = HBO's HARD KNOCKS, featuring the Houston Texans in the 2015 series of the weekly show
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

hogsanity

Quote from: hoglady on August 25, 2015, 09:44:28 am
I didn't say he was being kept down. He chose to stay at Houston. Mallett's statement during the spring was "I told my agent to keep me in Houston at all costs". Maybe he had other options and maybe he didn't. He was still injured, coming off a surgery, hadn't thrown for months and couldn't throw for a few more months. Mallett's injury isn't even being addressed by anyone - and it's affect on how this has all turned out.
That was a serious injury (for a QB who's greatest strength is his big arm) with a long recovery period. Would you trade for an untested QB, coming off a surgery involving his throwing motion, whose rehab wasn't complete?

Wasn't referencing you in particular.No one came calling with any serious offers to the Patriots either.  Te pretty much gave him away to the Texans, knowing they were not going to resign him. They were perfectly happy with Goropolo.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfan14

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 25, 2015, 10:10:26 am
Didn't O'Brien on HARD KNOCKS in one of their team meetings say something to the effect of outside influences, "I don't where care where you come from or what anybody says from places like Arkansas, TCU,......"   I can't remember nor find the whole rant.  But I do remember O' Brien speaking about Arkansas in some form or another. Does anyone else remember the part of HARD KNOCKS when O' Brien says this ?  I know I wasn't dreaming when I heard Arkansas and TCU come out of his mouth. And I remember thinking, well, why would he say that ? Anyone else remember that quick snippet on the show ?

He was asking a rookie to name one of their players' names and the rookie couldn't remember his name but he remembered he went to Georgia.

O'Brien then said something like "I don't care about LSU, Georgia, Arkansas etc...he's your teammate. Remember his name!"

threeNout

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 25, 2015, 09:43:19 am
Interesting poll on hchron asking people what they think of Hoyer being named starter.

35% Hate it.
33% are ok with it
26% Don't care one way or the other
7% Love it.

What stands out to me is the number that hate it and the number that don't care. 

or the measly 7% who "Love it" 

let them start 0-2, and I doubt anyone will be loving it.  :)

HouSwine

I doubt they will start 0-2 but Mallett will get his chance mid-season when fans revolt because of the lack of offense and long passes.

seasonhog

Quote from: hoglady on August 24, 2015, 11:05:45 am
Mallett has been in an offense not suited to his talents since he's been in the NFL.
The last preseason game - Hoyer's YPC was something was like 4yds / Mallett's was around 3.7.
Mallett just is not going to beat out Hoyer in that type of offense.
Plus in the preseason games they did not run the offense with pace. They have a new OC so maybe they've slowed it down. Mallett was very good last year running that offense quickly.
I think it's a true dink and dunk offense that takes NO chances.
Never even tried to stretch the field.
Mallett didn't beat out Hoyer at NE until after O'Brien left.
Hoyer was O'Brien's guy the moment Houston signed him.

hoglady , is right on....no one has watch this play out more then me.

O'B wanting Mallett to sign back with Houston, but after signing Hoyer, Mallett was out..for a shot to start.

One could see this coming the first 2 preseason games.....the play calling was set up for Hoyer....Ryan in the first game only could throw short passing,,,,,8 plays on the goal line , no passing just run up the gut, and then blame Ryan for not scoring...still 10 of 11 passing...so much for Mallett not having no touch.

The second game when Mallett was set up to fail as started ...very few passing plays about 5 yards. per play....Houston not looking to expand the field, I knew then that Ryan was been set up to fail. Ryan was 5 for 7 passing.

So why did this go on for 2 games?

I think O'B told Mallett that he could start last year to sign him....and Ryan signed for less money then the Jets were offering. When Hoyer was signed then things changed.

Mallett was 15 for 18 the first 2 games playing about a half of a game. After Ryan went 10 for 11 the first game then we saw the play calling he got in the second game. How many QB go for 15 of 18 in a half, but is not good enough?

I don't know what O.B is doing maybe he is in love with Hoyer, but he made a misstate in naming Hoyer as the started.  Ryan should have signed with the Jets,,,i am afraid he will never get his chance ......

threeNout

Quote from: HouSwine on August 25, 2015, 10:57:02 am
I doubt they will start 0-2 but Mallett will get his chance mid-season when fans revolt because of the lack of offense and long passes.

well I haven't looked at their schedule, but it seems they have less offensive playmakers than last year.

If they have a bad start, it'll put Hoyer in the position of having to score a lot late in games, needs for long plays, stretching the field and running the offense up tempo.

If they start below .500 the first 5 games, unable to produce enough big plays to win close games late, that'll work in RM's favor.

alohawg

Hoyer was signed as a safe secure puppet and Mallett an insurance policy for OB in case the puppet gets an arm ripped off in action.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hoghearted

I remember how angry O'Brien was when fans were poor mouthing Hoyer early on. He tipped his hand with regards to his feelings about Hoyer.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: seasonhog on August 25, 2015, 12:19:19 pm

hoglady , is right on....no one has watch this play out more then me.

O'B wanting Mallett to sign back with Houston, but after signing Hoyer, Mallett was out..for a shot to start.

One could see this coming the first 2 preseason games.....the play calling was set up for Hoyer....Ryan in the first game only could throw short passing,,,,,8 plays on the goal line , no passing just run up the gut, and then blame Ryan for not scoring...still 10 of 11 passing...so much for Mallett not having no touch.

The second game when Mallett was set up to fail as started ...very few passing plays about 5 yards. per play....Houston not looking to expand the field, I knew then that Ryan was been set up to fail. Ryan was 5 for 7 passing.

So why did this go on for 2 games?

I think O'B told Mallett that he could start last year to sign him....and Ryan signed for less money then the Jets were offering. When Hoyer was signed then things changed.

Mallett was 15 for 18 the first 2 games playing about a half of a game. After Ryan went 10 for 11 the first game then we saw the play calling he got in the second game. How many QB go for 15 of 18 in a half, but is not good enough?

I don't know what O.B is doing maybe he is in love with Hoyer, but he made a misstate in naming Hoyer as the started.  Ryan should have signed with the Jets,,,i am afraid he will never get his chance ......

We don't need any darn facts, all we need is gut feelings and whether or not we liked Petri...I mean Mallett.

ComeonHogs!!!

Quote from: hoghearted on August 25, 2015, 01:53:48 pm
I remember how angry O'Brien was when fans were poor mouthing Hoyer early on. He tipped his hand with regards to his feelings about Hoyer.

John mc clain sports writer for the Houston chron, " I was told that at one of OB's first interviews as he was deciding on being the head coach that he wanted them to bring hoyer in" mcclain said he has been sitting on this info.
State Pride!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: ComeonHogs!!! on August 25, 2015, 02:07:19 pm
John mc clain sports writer for the Houston chron, " I was told that at one of OB's first interviews as he was deciding on being the head coach that he wanted them to bring hoyer in" mcclain said he has been sitting on this info.

Well, OB will live or die with it, his livelihood is determined by winning games. If he feels one guy gives them a better chance to do that than another, he should go get the guy if he can.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ComeonHogs!!! on August 25, 2015, 02:07:19 pm
[/quote

In the words of another poster!

Ut Oh!

I wonder what happens next time Mr McClain is in the same room as BOB.

ComeonHogs!!!

State Pride!!!

Hogarusa

Texans start with KC, Carolina, Tampa Bay, and Atlanta.  Houston fans should feel a 3-1 is certainly reasonable.  Their WRs DeAndre Hopkins, Cecil Shorts, and rookie Jaelen Strong should be a good group. Just have to be patient and hope that Arian is back quicker than some initially suggested.  Or if you are a Hog fan, hope for a 0-4 start going into a home game vs Indy.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 25, 2015, 09:22:28 am
I guess there is more to being an NFL quarterback than having a strong arm...

Agreed, and that's obvious.  Otherwise, he's be starting somewhere right?  I just thought he had enough tools, minus mobility, to excel in the NFL, and we always heard about his game IQ. 

I'd still love to see him out there, and I have a feeling we will, because I don't think Hoyer is anything special.  When they start losing, the voices will be too loud to ignore.  MY FEAR IS...he'll be set up to fail with their current personnel situation.   :(
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on August 25, 2015, 10:27:10 am
Wasn't referencing you in particular.No one came calling with any serious offers to the Patriots either.  Te pretty much gave him away to the Texans, knowing they were not going to resign him. They were perfectly happy with Goropolo.

...that was my point.  I understand that he didn't shop around and wanted to stay in Houston, and I'm sure that's because he felt assured that he would be the starter. 

With my exchange with Hoglady, I was referring to the fact that teams came chasing Cassell, and Mallett learned under the same system.  Yet, he ends up in Houston for peanuts comparatively speaking. 

There's definitely something that's not clicking, and while I can accept that maybe he makes perpetually poor decisions, I won't accept that he doesn't have the tools.  That dude could chunk a football up there with anyone...   

Reminds me of most of the Long Drive guys.  They can murder the ball, and you would think that they could back off 20% and just destroy golf courses.  Then you play with them and they drive is 370, and then can't even find the green with a SW in their hands.  "Well...there's your problem right there." 

I get it...it takes more than talent to play QB in the NFL.  I just wonder what he's lacking??? 

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

seasonhog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on August 25, 2015, 04:10:46 pm
...that was my point.  I understand that he didn't shop around and wanted to stay in Houston, and I'm sure that's because he felt assured that he would be the starter. 

With my exchange with Hoglady, I was referring to the fact that teams came chasing Cassell, and Mallett learned under the same system.  Yet, he ends up in Houston for peanuts comparatively speaking. 

There's definitely something that's not clicking, and while I can accept that maybe he makes perpetually poor decisions, I won't accept that he doesn't have the tools.  That dude could chunk a football up there with anyone...   

Reminds me of most of the Long Drive guys.  They can murder the ball, and you would think that they could back off 20% and just destroy golf courses.  Then you play with them and they drive is 370, and then can't even find the green with a SW in their hands.  "Well...there's your problem right there." 

I get it...it takes more than talent to play QB in the NFL.  I just wonder what he's lacking???

I saw this coming for several weeks, but was hoping that I was wrong.......

I can tell you that Mallett was great in practice ...and going 10 for 11 the first preseason game... it mess up O'B thinking.

After watching the last preseason game...I knew very quickly that Ryan was set up.....in two games they was not one called pass over 15 yards, they did not want Ryan to show up Hoyer. I knew the fix was in.

McClain quote just show that for some reason they were not going to give the job to Mallett...I hope they get beat every game.....the fans will be calling for O'B head..about 75% of the fan base wanted Mallett as the QB.

alohawg

Quote from: seasonhog on August 25, 2015, 04:41:37 pm

I can tell you that Mallett was great in practice ...and going 10 for 11 the first preseason game... it mess up O'B thinking.

After watching the last preseason game...I knew very quickly that Ryan was set up.....in two games they was not one called pass over 15 yards, they did not want Ryan to show up Hoyer. I knew the fix was in.

McClain quote just show that for some reason they were not going to give the job to Mallett...I hope they get beat every game.....the fans will be calling for O'B head..about 75% of the fan base wanted Mallett as the QB.

Yep, same here. Imagine this as well, Hoyer played loose and confident knowing he would have to screw up royally not to get the job, whereas Ryan had the stress and pressure of not knowing. BIG advantage, imo.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

HoopS

Even still, Mallett was 15 of 18 passing so he didn't exactly stink it up. Zero deep routes. None.

hog.goblin

Quote from: seasonhog on August 25, 2015, 04:41:37 pm

I would like to have whatever your smoking

hwm3

Did anyone that watched Hard Knocks notice Mallett getting the play wrong and running a QB on 3rd and 3? Maybe that isn't the only time that has happened where he missed the signals and called the wrong play. Or didn't realize he needed to audible out of a bad play. One of his teammates even said if they called that he'd give up his game check.

I can't believe some of you think the coach is intentionally picking who he thinks is the lesser player in the NFL. Come on man.

HoopS

Quote from: Karma on August 25, 2015, 08:43:06 pm
I can't believe some of you think the coach is intentionally picking who he thinks is the lesser player in the NFL. Come on man.
I don't think that. I do think RM has greater upside but probably feels riskier. I think Houston is unfortunately looking the way of wanting a game manager. Ryan brings potential for a more dynamic passing attack. Higher risk of mistakes. It just stinks for him. Hoyer appeared to be the anointed one as soon as he was signed and as a Texan fan, that irritates me. I've seen him play and he's never done much to excite me. Perhaps under O'Brien he will flourish. I know that the talk around here, Houston, was that RM brought hope and potential. They'd seen his arm. They'd also seen Hoyer. But BO'B has a rep of being good with QB's. But this was not the decision anyone I know wanted and especially since Hoyer never did anything to appear to earn it except sign here. Frustrating. Mediocrity is what we expect.

jesterzzn

Quote from: Karma on August 25, 2015, 08:43:06 pm

Who said that?

jesterzzn

Quote from: hog.goblin on August 25, 2015, 07:38:27 pm
I would like to have whatever your smoking

He's right.  Look at the presser from yesterday and today.  The only thing O'B kept restating was "most consistent from OTA's till now." Over and over and over he said that and he mentioned OTAs every time.  Why?  Have you ever heard a head a coach repeatedly site OTAs as a reason for naming a starter?  At any position?

Mallett was starting to make a clear case for being the starter and Hoyer was fading.  The coach saw this, he obviously thinks Hoyer is the guy for his system, and (my speculation) he doesn't want to alter his scheme to better suit Mallett's strengths.  He wants to run his offense and he wants Hoyer to man it. 

So the timing and wording are all very peculiar to me, and I would not be surprised at all to find out that O'B intentionally kept the leash on Mallett's arm to prevent additional media and fan scrutiny.  I'll go ahead and acknowledge my tin foil status, but I believe that's how it went down.

seasonhog

Quote from: jesterzzn on August 25, 2015, 09:39:52 pm
He's right.  Look at the presser from yesterday and today.  The only thing O'B kept restating was "most consistent from OTA's till now." Over and over and over he said that and he mentioned OTAs every time.  Why?  Have you ever heard a head a coach repeatedly site OTAs as a reason for naming a starter?  At any position?

Mallett was starting to make a clear case for being the starter and Hoyer was fading.  The coach saw this, he obviously thinks Hoyer is the guy for his system, and (my speculation) he doesn't want to alter his scheme to better suit Mallett's strengths.  He wants to run his offense and he wants Hoyer to man it. 

So the timing and wording are all very peculiar to me, and I would not be surprised at all to find out that O'B intentionally kept the leash on Mallett's arm to prevent additional media and fan scrutiny.  I'll go ahead and acknowledge my tin foil status, but I believe that's how it went down.

All one has to see is last Nov game in Cleveland...I have a tape of the game and have watch it several times....here is a QB throw in his first start, he outplayed Hoyer hand down. Mallett was a top QB  in the NFL that Sun.

One has to dig to find the truth in practice.....Mallett was making great plays...if the Texans insider would tell the truth that what they would say.

hoglady

All anyone has to do is listen to media that covers Houston sports.
I listened to one tonight that said Mallett would have had to be Aaron Rodgers to unseat Hoyer / that O'Brien had wanted Hoyer for this offense since the day he was hired. When an article headline is "O'Brien wants everyone to give Brian a chance" - he's paying too much attention to the fans.
Mallett when asked today whether he thought it was a fair competition he said "it is what it is".
They asked him if he felt better today "Obviously not, I wanted this job more than anything".
The Houston chronicle reporter McClain - said he gained a lot of respect for Mallett today, because he didn't sugarcoat anything.
It will not pretty in Houston this year - hope they trade Mallett away to avoid the inevitable QB controversy to come.

hog.goblin

exactly, it's not a setup, he simply is going to start the better QB in his mind.  If he thought RM would win more games he would be starting him.