Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hoyer named Texans starting QB over Mallett

Started by checkraiser88, August 24, 2015, 08:47:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

bigred223

ldfergu

Making a million bucks a year as a career back up is probably the best job in the world.

Hakuna Matata

The Texans have lost all of their big name play makers anyways. They have no Andre Johnson or Arian Foster to help take the pressure off the QB. It might better to not start at the moment with so much uncertainty on the offense.

Hogarusa

It's always better to be the starter.  But backup QB is a pretty sweet gig.  Reports say that Hoyer has been the better and most consistent QB since he showed up.  Mallett will almost certainly get some starts later this season. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: bigred223 on August 24, 2015, 08:51:19 am
What a joke

Why is it a joke?  Apparently the head coach felt Hoyer gave them the best chance to win.  At least that's what we hear regarding the Arkansas quarterback.  The NFL is a business and they are in it to win it. He got his chance and  he got beat out, plain and simple.  I'm not down on Mallett, I still think he'll get his chance but he's got to step up and earn it. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

pigheaded

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on August 24, 2015, 08:52:20 am
Making a million bucks a year as a career back up is probably the best job in the world.

Yep
My Mother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks her Wild Turkey right out of the bottle.

TexArkHogFan

Scott Hastings made a pretty good living at it. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

threeNout

1highhog

It would be my dream job.

SamBuckhart

Its a long season. With many injuries. Just hope he makes the most of his opportunities. When is the last time the HOGS had a starting QB in the NFL ? Clint Stoerner maybe? Regular season, I mean.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

KlubhouseKonnected

I'm not at practice, not sure how much better he could have done with his preseason game opportunities. To me, Mallet didn't separate to himself one way or the other from a more experienced guy and the result is the Head Coach going with the "safer" known commodity in Hoyer.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: SamBuckhart on August 24, 2015, 10:00:02 am
Its a long season. With many injuries. Just hope he makes the most of his opportunities. When is the last time the HOGS had a starting QB in the NFL ? Clint Stoerner maybe? Regular season, I mean.

Mallett started 2 games last year

Mark_Freeman

Does it make anyone else feel like Mallett just isn't good enough to start in the league? I mean, Brian Hoyer... I hate it for RM, because I was looking forward to him becoming a starter. There aren't many teams he could start for if he can't beat out that guy.

Pork Twain

You guys crack me up.

This is likely due to EPSN hating BP and RM starting for BP.

/sarcasm
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ldfergu

Quote from: Mark_Freeman on August 24, 2015, 10:08:43 am
Does it make anyone else feel like Mallett just isn't good enough to start in the league? I mean, Brian Hoyer... I hate it for RM, because I was looking forward to him becoming a starter. There aren't many teams he could start for if he can't beat out that guy.

Based on absolutely no real information I would venture to guess RM's issues in the NFL are between the ears.  He has loads of talent but something just isn't clicking

KlubhouseKonnected

He just needs to stay ready, so that when he gets his chance to go in while the rounds are live, he can take full advantage.

Maybe he is another in a long line of Petrino coached QB's that wind up as career back ups on that level, but he was the best Arkansas QB of the modern era so I am not ready to give up on him yet.

presidenthog

He has all the tools. he just isn't consistently accurate is what I hear. the same knock he had here.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: presidenthog on August 24, 2015, 10:18:37 am
He has all the tools. he just isn't consistently accurate is what I hear. the same knock he had here.

That's what you hear. Then he goes out in games and goes 10/11

HOGINTENNESSEE

A lot of guys worse in NFL have got more opportunities than Mallett

Pork Twain

Maybe he is just not ready to lead the team at this time.  That is always a possibility and it is also possible that could change in the upcoming months.  Obviously the coaches have seen something that makes them think Hoyer is the better guy right now.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

threeNout

There aren't many teams he could start for if he can't beat out that guy.

he did beat out Hoyer in NE, to be Brady's backup.

it appears to have been a razor thin decision, the coach is going to have a press conference about it today, wouldn't be shocking to see a switch back to RM early in the season.

bigred223

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 24, 2015, 10:20:55 am
That's what you hear. Then he goes out in games and goes 10/11

Exactly. O'Brien wants a dink and dunk passer. That's Hoyer for you.

hawg1221

Well, unfortunately, I think this is the beginning of the end of his NFL career. I really had high hopes that he would finally be a starter.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: hawg1221 on August 24, 2015, 10:27:39 am
Well, unfortunately, I think this is the beginning of the end of his NFL career. I really had high hopes that he would finally be a starter.

I wouldn't say that. Lots of quarterbacks have long careers in the league as clear cut backups.

HoopS

In 2 games this preseason, he was 15/18. Hoyer was 9/15.

RM never got a chance to stretch the field. Lot of short stuff. The rap against him was no touch on short stuff. 15/18 seems to indicate he's better in that dept.

I wanted him named starter but O'Brien has other plans. But RM didn't get much of a chance in these 2 games to wow anyone. I suspect the plan is a conservative offense and lean on a pretty loaded defense.

PorkRinds

Ryan is also coming off of a fairly serious injury.  He may end up earning the job.

Hogs run wild

It's a long season. Mallett just has to make the most of his chances when he gets them. I wouldn't do any more bench presses until the end of the season though.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

hoglady

Mallett has been in an offense not suited to his talents since he's been in the NFL.
The last preseason game - Hoyer's YPC was something was like 4yds / Mallett's was around 3.7.
Mallett just is not going to beat out Hoyer in that type of offense.
Plus in the preseason games they did not run the offense with pace. They have a new OC so maybe they've slowed it down. Mallett was very good last year running that offense quickly.
I think it's a true dink and dunk offense that takes NO chances.
Never even tried to stretch the field.
Mallett didn't beat out Hoyer at NE until after O'Brien left.
Hoyer was O'Brien's guy the moment Houston signed him.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogsanity

Quote from: hoglady on August 24, 2015, 11:05:45 am
Mallett has been in an offense not suited to his talents since he's been in the NFL.
The last preseason game - Hoyer's YPC was something was like 4yds / Mallett's was around 3.7.
Plus in the preseason games they did not run the offense with pace. They have a new OC so maybe they've slowed it down. Mallett was very good last year running that offense quickly.

They can't stretch the field. Johnson is gone, Foster is out at Rb. Their biggest weapons are the TE and couple of possession type wr's.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hoglady

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2015, 11:07:15 am
They can't stretch the field. Johnson is gone, Foster is out at Rb. Their biggest weapons are the TE and couple of possession type wr's.

That's their fault - they let Johnson go.
They didn't sign any receivers to stretch the field - it's not like they lost that ability due to player injury.
It apparently isn't their priority.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Pork Twain

There are not a lot of qbs that live and die by the long ball since Jeff George retired. 

Albert Einswine

Quote from: SamBuckhart on August 24, 2015, 10:00:02 am

Joe Ferguson as far as I can recall.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

HoopS

Cecil Shorts has the speed to. Andre had lost a step and wasn't happy. Their weapons are Hopkins, Shorts and Washington. Not sure which TE you're referring to.

WarPig88

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on August 24, 2015, 09:20:05 am
Why is it a joke?  Apparently the head coach felt Hoyer gave them the best chance to win.  At least that's what we hear regarding the Arkansas quarterback.  The NFL is a business and they are in it to win it. He got his chance and  he got beat out, plain and simple.  I'm not down on Mallett, I still think he'll get his chance but he's got to step up and earn it.

It is a dumb choice. Hoyer and Mallett were even according to the practice reports I have been reading. The difference being that Hoyer has 17 starts and Mallett has 2.

Here is the kicker on that though, a guy with 17 starts should be head and shoulders better than a guy with only 2. He has had the opportunities to show what he can do. Hoyer had a 6 game stretch last season where he didn't throw a td pass.

Stupid decision and one that will bite the Texans in the butt.

RME

Quote from: WarPig88 on August 24, 2015, 11:21:33 am
It is a dumb choice. Hoyer and Mallett were even according to the practice reports I have been reading. The difference being that Hoyer has 17 starts and Mallett has 2.

Here is the kicker on that though, a guy with 17 starts should be head and shoulders better than a guy with only 2. He has had the opportunities to show what he can do. Hoyer had a 6 game stretch last season where he didn't throw a td pass.

Stupid decision and one that will bite the Texans in the butt.

I didn't know NFL head coaches frequented these forums.

WarPig88

Quote from: hoglady on August 24, 2015, 11:05:45 am

This. Hoyer was given the first team snaps on the first OTA practice even though he had not even been part of the team.

O'Brien brought him in to be the starter. Practice reports I have read said that Hoyer's accuracy has been inconsistent all fall. I guess it's moot now.

atekido

Probably best he doesn't start.  That team doesn't have anything on offense.

WarPig88

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 24, 2015, 11:24:30 am
I didn't know NFL head coaches frequented these forums.

You do know that MOST NFL coaches don't succeed right?

That probably means that there is room for criticism somewhere. Is that you Mr. O'Brien?

GoHogs1091

I still maintain that they should have traded down out of that #1 pick, and they should have drafted Sammy Watkins instead of Clowney. They should have known that they were eventually going to lose Johnson.

Just poor general managering by the Texans' GM.  Seems to be a common occurrence in that State considering the poor general managering that also occurs with the team located in Arlington.

Professor Psychosis

Hard Knocks spoiler alert!

Though really this hasn't been the best season of that show so far.

hawgsalot

The crazies thing of all is Mallett getting a whole 2 series with the starters in his preseason start.  Heck the game before Hoyer only got one series.  If your trying to decide a QB battle that's razor thin then I would want more series than that.  Mallett outplayed Hoyer by a long shot last year when they played late in the season.  Hoyer is horrible if Ryan truly can't beat him out it's over for Ryan long term I'm afraid.

RME

Quote from: WarPig88 on August 24, 2015, 11:26:26 am

That probably means that there is room for criticism somewhere. Is that you Mr. O'Brien?

Went 9-7 in his first year as an NFL HC. Not too shabby. Not saying he doesn't have the potential to go 1-15 this year, though. I'm not even a Texans guy but I'm also not going to sit behind a keyboard and pretend that I know more about football or a team that I have no hand in over a guy who's been around football since 1993.

hogsanity

Quote from: Albert Einswine on August 24, 2015, 11:16:41 am

Joe Ferguson as far as I can recall.

I think Clint started one game for the cowboys.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: WarPig88 on August 24, 2015, 11:26:26 am

Room for criticism on a message board? That is down right laughable coming from you. O'Brien should be given at least 10 years to get his players and system in place.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2015, 11:44:58 am
I think Clint started one game for the cowboys.

In the regular season? I'm not a cowgirls fan so I really don't keep up, but I only remember him playing preseason and then being on their practice squad while he was there.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hogsanity

Quote from: Albert Einswine on August 24, 2015, 11:47:14 am
In the regular season? I'm not a cowgirls fan so I really don't keep up, but I only remember him playing preseason and then being on their practice squad while he was there.

Started 2 games in 2001, went 1-1.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StoeCl00.htm

TexArkHogFan

Wouldn't be the first quarterback who played lights out in college and never did quite make it in the NFL.

Albert Einswine

PonderinHog