Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Recruiting and Beyond

Started by ucahogfan, July 01, 2013, 05:25:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

yraciv

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 19, 2014, 12:32:48 am
CannonBall ‏@CannonChadwick  · Apr 16 
It's official now I will be playing at the University of Arkansas next year! ⚾️🐗 #WPS #NeverYield @TheParisNews pic.twitter.com/wNN7qnfb0z

The Hogs pick up a commitment from JUCO RHP Cannon Chadwick out of Paris, Texas.  Really can't find much about him, but seems to be a pick up and has some pretty good size to be a Colby Suggs type.  He will be a Sophomore in the fall.

9 starts, 12 appearances, 3-1, 58.2 in, 57 ks, 20 bb, 1.07 ERA, only allowed 33 hits.  When your WHIP is under 1 you must be doing something right. Looks pretty good to me!

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on April 19, 2014, 11:25:33 am
Uca, how do you think our recruiting is doing under vitello
I feel like it is going pretty well.  Maybe not as well as under Butler, but Vitello is still recruiting for us at a high level and was really the best fit given his connections in both Texas and Missouri.

I'm very impressed with the fact that he really kept the excellent 2014 class in tact.  Really the only two de-commitments were LaValley who signed with basically hometown OU and Ockimey who was basically let go.  They both bring a lot of power to the plate, but we already signed a couple of guys who profile at 1B in this class like those 2 and Vitello picked up Sam Hentges out of Minnesota who I think will be a much more valuable asset in college being a guy who could play both ways at a high level.  I think a good comp for Hentges would be AJ Reed at Kentucky in that both are big LHPs with some pop.  If Hentges has a career half as good as Reed's, he will have a heck of a career on the Hill.

Vitello helped us pick up a top 100 commit in the 2016 class in Jaxon Williams which was huge and hopefully he makes it to campus.  That was a big pick up for him.

The 2015 class could be better, but it is still early with signing day about 7 months away.  It is a pretty good in-state class and Texas is very deep that year.

ucahogfan

Vernon Tarver ‏@NWAVernon  · Apr 21 
PREP BASEBALL There ever been a 1-2 pitching punch in Arkansas as dominant as Pagnozzi and Pate? Look at the numbers. Maybe not? #arpreps

PREP BASEBALL: Looking over stats... Fayetteville's Andy Pagnozzi and Kyle Pate have allowed 3 ER combined in 86 1/3 IP this year. #arpreps

PREP BASEBALL: Arkansas record for lowest ERA in single season is 0.39. Both Pagnozzi (0.16) and Pate (0.33) below that this year. #arpreps

PREP BASEBALL: Arkansas career ERA record is 1.03 (Kelly Owens, Junction City, 1979-82). Pate 0.97 career. Pagnozzi 1.12. #arpreps

Kyle Pate is also making an impact at the plate and I think is hitting like .350 with a couple of homers and is probably the favorite to win Gatorade POTY.

yraciv

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 22, 2014, 09:17:26 pm
PREP BASEBALL There ever been a 1-2 pitching punch in Arkansas as dominant as Pagnozzi and Pate? Look at the numbers. Maybe not? #arpreps

PREP BASEBALL: Looking over stats... Fayetteville's Andy Pagnozzi and Kyle Pate have allowed 3 ER combined in 86 1/3 IP this year. #arpreps

PREP BASEBALL: Arkansas record for lowest ERA in single season is 0.39. Both Pagnozzi (0.16) and Pate (0.33) below that this year. #arpreps

PREP BASEBALL: Arkansas career ERA record is 1.03 (Kelly Owens, Junction City, 1979-82). Pate 0.97 career. Pagnozzi 1.12. #arpreps

Kyle Pate is also making an impact at the plate and I think is hitting like .350 with a couple of homers and is probably the favorite to win Gatorade POTY.

Damn! I knew they were dominating, but not that much. And what is even more impressive about it is Fayetteville has gone to elite national tournaments on top of playing in the largest classification in the state.  See some SEC duels in those two's future.

ucahogfan

Quote from: yraciv on April 22, 2014, 09:21:20 pm
Damn! I knew they were dominating, but not that much. And what is even more impressive about it is Fayetteville has gone to elite national tournaments on top of playing in the largest classification in the state.  See some SEC duels in those two's future.
Dang, I had forgotten they had played in at least one elite national tourney which makes that stat even more impressive.  Fayetteville is a top 50 national team for a reason with 3 D-1 starting pitchers and multiple hitters going D-1 as well.  That is as balanced a team that you will probably find maybe in state history.  Just think they are doing this after losing 2 players who went to Arkansas to play a sport.

Pagnozzi has supposedly improved a whole lot and is now a top 100 player in the 2015 class and will probably be drafted pretty high if he is signable.

ucahogfan

Our two signees at McLennan Community College have been their 2 best hitters this year.

Max Hogan is hitting .368 (63-171) with 15 2B, 5 3B, 2 HR, 42 R, and 30 RBIs.  He has drawn 27 walks on the year compared to just 16 Ks and leads the team with 20 steals in 21 attempts.  Looks like a replacement for Serrano out in LF depending on how strong his arm is.

Matt Campbell is hitting .354 (62-175) with 11 2B, 5 3B, 2 HR, 45 R, and 35 RBIs.  He has drawn 23 walks and has struck out 34 times and is second on the team with 12 steals in 13 attempts.  I think he is the probable replacement for Anderson at 2B depending on who all signs in this recruiting class and could play SS.

ucahogfan

The Hogs have picked up their 10th commitment of the 2015 class in Bryant HS RHP Blaine Knight.  He looks to be a projectable RHP at 6-2, 160 and looks to be a good pickup.  He hit 86 at a PG event last July, but I expect he has added some velo since then.  He is the 6th in-state commit for the Hogs which speaks to the depth of the in-state talent in 2015.

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 26, 2014, 11:20:37 am
The Hogs have picked up their 10th commitment of the 2015 class in Bryant HS RHP Blaine Knight.  He looks to be a projectable RHP at 6-2, 160 and looks to be a good pickup.  He hit 86 at a PG event last July, but I expect he has added some velo since then.  He is the 6th in-state commit for the Hogs which speaks to the depth of the in-state talent in 2015.

Not a big kid at 160lb, but our high school team played Thompson Alabama during spring break. They had a kid that had signed with Bama that threw 91-93mph and never missed the mitt. He was about the same size.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on April 26, 2014, 11:24:27 am
Not a big kid at 160lb, but our high school team played Thompson Alabama during spring break. They had a kid that had signed with Bama that threw 91-93mph and never missed the mitt. He was about the same size.
Which is why I say he is projectable only at 160.  Get him up to 180-190 at 6-2 and he probably adds a couple of more MPH to his fastball.  Has anyone on here seen him throw and can give us a scouting report?

ucahogfan

Perfect Game USA @PerfectGameUSA     ·   2h   
Keller McKinney matchup lived up to the hype! Mitch Keller 92-95 mph good BB. Keaton McKinney 90-92 mph and showed his plus CH! #MLBDraft

Keller is a RHP who has signed with UNC.  UNC's class could take a big hit as several of their signees have seen a big bump in velo this spring, but if they make it  to campus, it will be a scary good group.

tennesseehogwild

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 22, 2014, 09:17:26 pm

Wow! Didn't know Owens still had that record. Played American Legion ball with him at El Dorado in 81-82...Was a heckuva pitcher.

ucahogfan

Keaton McKinney was named the #2 prospect this past weekend at the PG Spring Top Showcase.

http://www.perfectgame.org/events/Showcases/TopProspectList.aspx?event=2230

Tai_Mai_Shu

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 28, 2014, 06:33:33 pm
Keaton McKinney was named the #2 prospect this past weekend at the PG Spring Top Showcase.

What's in the water in Iowa? There are a lot of top prospects from that state.

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 28, 2014, 06:33:33 pm

This is no good.  Its looking less and less likely that him and bonfield (sp?) make it to campus in my opinion. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on May 01, 2014, 10:43:43 am
This is no good.  Its looking less and less likely that him and bonfield (sp?) make it to campus in my opinion.
Normally, McKinney would have been the runaway top prospect at this event, but a lot of seniors this year have seen a big jump in velo while McKinney hasn't experienced that jump yet.  Depending on signability, I think McKinney has moved from a 2nd-3rd round type pick to more of a 5th round type of pick which isn't a knock on him at all because he has the best changeup in high school right now.

Bonfield is another big question mark.  He has probably the biggest variance among top players this year.  He is a top 15 player according to some independent scout while BA doesn't even have him in their top 100.  He isn't quite the athlete as some players or have a cannon (mid 80s velo from the OF and an average runner), but he can flat out hit.  There hasn't been a question about his hitting ability.  It seems like he is excited to be a Hog and is really good friends with Kyle Pate and Nathan Rodriguez.

Brewerfan10

Does anyone know how Ty Harris (2015 Commit) is doing at Rogers Heritage?

dotnet

I see what you're saying... I just think its becoming less and less likely that either of those two make it to campus.  Guys who can flat out hit are hard to pass up in the draft.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on May 01, 2014, 01:58:36 pm
I see what you're saying... I just think its becoming less and less likely that either of those two make it to campus.  Guys who can flat out hit are hard to pass up in the draft.
I actually think it is getting more and more likely than we get McKinney especially if he wants to be a two way player in college much like fellow Iowan (is that what people in Iowa are called?) AJ Puk who is currently at Florida and would have been a 2nd-3rd round pick as a P last year.

We really need Bonfield on campus.  We haven't had a hitter of his caliber since Cox.  Wiggins is another big bat, but I think he is more of a power hitter who will be the cleanup hitter.  Whatever happens in the draft here in about a month, I'm excited to see who makes it to campus because this is a very deep class.

Big Nasty 34

I think harris is out with tommy john.. Somebody clarify that though!

Kevin

What was kentucky's recruiting rankings over the last 3 years. Their guys can rake
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ucahogfan

Quote from: Kevin on May 01, 2014, 07:57:46 pm
What was kentucky's recruiting rankings over the last 3 years. Their guys can rake
Not as good as ours on average.  Sure they can rake, but they play in what is generally considered a hitter's park.  Plus, their team ERA is horrible.  They have a team ERA of 4.10 which would be pretty good before the bats changed, but is 2nd to last in the SEC right now.  A good pitcher would probably shut their offense down.

Brewerfan10

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 01, 2014, 07:27:10 pm
I think harris is out with tommy john.. Somebody clarify that though!

Thanks. +1

Bas3ball13

He did have TJ surgery and has started throwing again according his dad.  He has been released by doctors should be back on the mound this summer if not sooner.  Time will tell.

ucahogfan

Nathan Rode @NathanRode     ·   May 1   
Fun fact: SS Keith Grieshaber (MO) chose Arkansas for baseball over Indiana and Saint Louis for soccer, who have 18 nat'l titles combined.

Nathan Rode @NathanRode     ·   May 1   
Regarding Grieshaber...Indiana/Saint Louis is to soccer as Texas/Southern Cal/LSU is to baseball. I'd say he's athletic.

Now we just have to hope he really wants to attend college as his athleticism has to be attractive to pro teams.  He was state player of the year in Missouri for soccer and would say he is probably the equivalent of a 5 star recruit for soccer and a 4 star recruit for baseball.

ucahogfan

Vernon Tarver ‏@NWAVernon  · May 2 
PREP BASEBALL: Final.. Fayetteville 2, Stillwater 1. Kyle Pate 14 Ks for 'Dogs. Stillwater was Top 15 nationally by MaxPreps. #arpreps

PurpleDogBaseball ‏@FayDogBaseball  · May 2 
Tonight it was @Kyle_Pate  pitching a gem. Hit 91 mph while striking out 14 and giving up 1 run. Clutch hitting by Walker powell

ucahogfan

Steve James ‏@SteveJamesPG  · 17m 
Good matchup between Mitch Keller and Keaton McKinney at the league top prospect games, Keller up to 93, McKinney up to 92 in the 1st

ucahogfan

Voice of MHS ‏@MHSBaseballPA  · May 8 
Keith Grieshaber with the two run long bomb to left. MHS up 7-0.

Voice of MHS ‏@MHSBaseballPA  · May 8 
Keith Grieshaber hits his second long bomb of the night. MHS up 9-0

I feel like Grieshaber and Wiggins could make a nasty left side of the INF for 3 seasons should they both make it to campus and McAfee is drafted and signs.

Quakes Baseball ‏@QuakesBaseball1  · May 10 
Arkansas signee Chad Spanberger goes 2 for 2 in Granite City's 6-3 loss to Jerseyville.

I'm pretty sure that Spanberger is the LH power bat DVH has talked about coming to campus out of this class.  Whether he remains a C or moves to 1B/DH is something that is still up in the air, but no one has ever questioned his pop.

Charley Walters ‏@Charley_Walters  · Apr 13 
Seven major league scouts watched Mounds View pitcher-first baseman and Arkansas-bound Sam Hentges hurl against Stillwater last week.

Hopefully he sees the draw of playing both ways.  He was topping out at 88 last summer/fall on the mound, but he is a big kid and probably has added velo since then.

ucahogfan

Article about Chad Spanberger having a solid season despite being regularly pitched around.  He is also playing SS this season.  His part is about half way down.

http://www.bnd.com/2014/05/12/3205121/granite-city-dealing-with-injuries.html?sp=/99/205/

Bas3ball13

paul boyd (@nwapaulb)Ty Harris will start on the mound for Heritage. His first varsity action of the year. Harris pitches around a lead-off walk for a scoreless first. Two Ks. He was 85-87 topping 88 several times.

ucahogfan

paul boyd @nwapaulb     ·   May 10   

Harris had Tommy John surgery in October. Coaches say he is on a 45 pitch limit today.#arpreps

Seems like he was rushed back into action with a 7 month rehab window.  The normal recovery time for Tommy John in pitchers is right at 12 months.  Wonder how this will effect him long term.  DVH can't be too happy about it although it is good to see his velo up there.

ucahogfan

yraciv

Fayetteville almost got upset today! Down 6-5 headed to the last, and Kyle Pate knocks a 2 run homer, also got last out on the mound for the win. Don't know how many were earned, but Pagnozzi had a rough outing jumping ERA to .48.

ucahogfan

3 signees are taking part of the PG Pre-Draft Showcase this weekend in Iowa.  Those 3 are 41st overall RHP Keaton McKinney of Iowa, 211th overall SS Keith Grieshaber of Missouri, and 304th overall LHP Ryan Fant of Texas.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=9875

Perfect Game USA @PerfectGameUSA     ·   54m   

2014 6'5 LHP Ryan Fant up to 90 mph in his 1st inning of work! Arkansas commit #MLBDraft

Perfect Game USA
‏@PerfectGameUSA   2014 Keaton McKinney (IA) with 3 impressive innings FB 90-93 mph. #MLBDraft

Justin Hlubek ‏@PGJustinHlubek  · 1h 
Keaton McKinney (2014 RHP) sitting 91-93 his his first inning of work #PGShowcase #MLBDraft

Baseball Hog

Fant is going to be a beast against college hitters.  He'd be a HUGE land.

yraciv

Quote from: Baseball Hog on May 18, 2014, 01:46:48 pm
Fant is going to be a beast against college hitters.  He'd be a HUGE land.

Is he a bigger recruit than his brother was?  I like how his brother worked out for us.

rolyat_2008

Quote from: yraciv on May 18, 2014, 02:13:53 pm
Is he a bigger recruit than his brother was?  I like how his brother worked out for us.
Yes Ryan is

Baseball Hog

Quote from: yraciv on May 18, 2014, 02:13:53 pm

Yeah, a lot better.  He's a bigger guy that can throw a little bit harder than his older brother.

ucahogfan

Perfect Game USA @PerfectGameUSA     ·   50m   

2014 Arkansas commit Keith Grieshaber just smoked an RBI triple to the RC Gap! #MLBDraft

Grieshaber also posted a 6.61 60 at this event which shows he is a plus runner and threw 88 across the INF which tells me he has plenty of arm strength to stick at SS.  Hopefully he makes it to campus.  Could be the starting SS if McAfee doesn't return.

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 18, 2014, 03:18:01 pm
Perfect Game USA @PerfectGameUSA     ·   50m   

2014 Arkansas commit Keith Grieshaber just smoked an RBI triple to the RC Gap! #MLBDraft

Grieshaber also posted a 6.61 60 at this event which shows he is a plus runner and threw 88 across the INF which tells me he has plenty of arm strength to stick at SS.  Hopefully he makes it to campus.  Could be the starting SS if McAfee doesn't return.
Who on the current team would you compare his speed to?  Anderson? Benni?

ucahogfan

Class of 2014 Rankings Movement
Jack Benninghoff - 227 to 236
Luke Bonfield - 59 to 58
Ryan Fant - 294 to 304
Keith Grieshaber - 201 to 211
Keaton McKinney - 37 to 41
Kyle Pate - Stayed at 500
Jonah Patten - 135 to 148
Nathan Rodriguez - 245 to 254
Chad Spanberger - 391 to 411
Blake Wiggins - 188 to 200
Sam Hentges - 274 to 152
Mark Hammel - 453 to 476

ucahogfan

2014 Commitments
1.  Jack Benninghoff - 6-0, 185, OF, 236, 10, Kansas (high school in KC, Missouri)
2.  Luke Bonfield - 6-2, 185, OF, 58, 10, New Jersey
3.  Ryan Fant - 6-5, 205, LHP, 304, N/A, Texas
4.  Keith Grieshaber - 6-1, 180, SS, 211, 9.5, Missouri
5.  Corey Herndon - 6-3, 190, RHP, 500, 9, Arkansas (committed to UCA)
6.  Gavin LaValley - 6-3, 230, 1B, 500, N/A, Oklahoma (committed to OU)
7.  Keaton McKinney - 6-5, 220, RHP/1B, 41, 10, Iowa
8.  Josh Ockimey - 6-4, 220, 1B, 188, 9.5, Pennsylvania (committed to Indiana)
9.  Kyle Pate - 6-1, 175, LHP, 500, N/A, Arkansas
10.  Jonah Patten - 6-3, 200, RHP, 148, N/A, Indiana
11.  Nathan Rodriguez - 5-11, 175, C, 254, 9.5, California
12.  Storm Rynard - 6-0, 170, RHP, 208, 9.5, Missouri  (graduated early, going JUCO)
13.  Chad Spanberger - 6-3, 210, C, 411, 9.5, Illinois
14.  Blake Wiggins - 6-2, 195, SS, 200, 9.5, Arkansas
15.  Mark Clark - 6-4, 190, C/OF, Top 1000, N/A, Arkansas
16.  Darien Simms - 5-10, 160, OF, NR, 8, Texas
17.  Trent Harris - 6-4, 230, 1B, NR, N/A, Arkansas (JUCO elsewhere)
18.  Sam Hentges - 6-6, 240, 1B/LHP, 152, 8.5, Minnesota
19.  Mark Hammel - 6-0, 195, RHP, 476, 9, Texas
20.  Blake Jones - 5-9, 165, SS, Top 1000, 8.5, Washington
21.  Max Hogan - 5-11, 190, 3B, NR, N/A, Texas (JUCO in Texas)
22.  Matt Campbell - 6-0, 170, SS, NR, 9.5, Virginia (JUCO in Texas)
23.  Cannon Chadwick - 6-0, 200, RHP, NR, N/A, Texas (JUCO in Texas)

2015 Commitments
1.  Ty Harris - 6-1, 160, LHP, 428, 9, Arkansas
2.  Cody Scroggins - 5-10, ?, RHP/INF/OF, NR, N/A, Arkansas
3.  Jacob Adams - 5-11, 155, SS, NR, N/A, Arkansas
4.  Tyler Ivey - 6-4, 200, RHP, 11, 10, Texas (committed to TAMU)
5.  Drew Tyler - 5-11, 180, SS, Top 1000, 8, Arkansas
6.  Anthony Dahl - 6-3, 185, SS, 461, N/A, Texas
7.  Isaiah Campbell - 6-4, 225, RHP, 297, N/A, Kansas
8.  Brendan Stanek - 6-1, 165, RHP, Top 1000, N/A, Kansas
9.  Grant Koch - 6-0, 185, C, 449, 9, Arkansas
10.  Jacob Schlesener - 6-2, 170, LHP, NR, N/A, Missouri
11.  Blaine Knight - 6-2, 160, RHP, NR, N/A, Arkansas

2016 Commitments
1.  Jaxon Williams - 5-7, 155, SS, 79, N/A, Texas

Signed Players

dotnet

ucahogfan

Quote from: bulldog04 on May 18, 2014, 03:25:34 pm
Who on the current team would you compare his speed to?  Anderson? Benni?
Would rate his speed above Benintendi.  Anderson might be a 6.7 type runner, but his listed 60 out of his school was 6.99.  Benintendi has 6.8 type speed and could be a 20 steal threat here.  Grieshaber has 25-30 steal type speed if he has Benintendi's knack to steal.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on May 18, 2014, 03:34:02 pm
Did McKinney move?
Just included him in.  Thanks!  Can't believe I forgot him.

ucahogfan

Nathan Rodriguez went to a PG Showcase in January.  He graded out at 9.5.  He is coming off a knee injury, but showed very well defensively and showed some power potential at the plate.  He doesn't have the strongest arm, but his pop is still sub 2 and should get better as he adds arm strength.  The full report can be read on his profile linked below:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=353984

dotnet

I'm getting more and more nervous the closer we get to June.

Hopefully some of them have a million dollar price tag...

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 18, 2014, 03:36:52 pm
Would rate his speed above Benintendi.  Anderson might be a 6.7 type runner, but his listed 60 out of his school was 6.99.  Benintendi has 6.8 type speed and could be a 20 steal threat here.  Grieshaber has 25-30 steal type speed if he has Benintendi's knack to steal.
Thanks

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on May 18, 2014, 03:49:09 pm
I'm getting more and more nervous the closer we get to June.

Hopefully some of them have a million dollar price tag...
History tells us that we will get pretty much everyone 200 and greater while those ranked in the top 200 are the question marks.  Both Patten and Hentges are borderline top 10 round picks at this point according to PG who just released their top 500 prospects this past week.

McKinney is a top 100 prospect in the draft while Bonfield is in the 7th round range discussion right now according to PG.

This 2014 high school class is one of the deepest classes ever.  I think there is something like 30 pitchers or so who have hit 95 this spring.

Sueie

How many pitchers will we lose on this years team to make room for all of the new ones?  I think they should change the transfer rules to where a player that is "cut" from one team should be able to go to another team and play immediately.  The reason being is that if they are not good enough for our team. Why would we worry WHERE they went to play at. I realize that it is an NCAA rule and not an Arkansas rule that stops it from happening. 

What do you guys think about that?

ricepig

Quote from: Sueie on May 18, 2014, 08:19:29 pm
How many pitchers will we lose on this years team to make room for all of the new ones?  I think they should change the transfer rules to where a player that is "cut" from one team should be able to go to another team and play immediately.  The reason being is that if they are not good enough for our team. Why would we worry WHERE they went to play at. I realize that it is an NCAA rule and not an Arkansas rule that stops it from happening. 

What do you guys think about that?

It used to be that way, it was changed to sitting out a year about 5?? years ago.