Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas gets a $40.9 million payment for the 2016-17 season

Started by Con el Cerdos, February 01, 2018, 06:02:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 02, 2018, 08:24:36 am
I'd trade wins for less money. But hey thats just me. But by all means lets continue to get paid a ton to get our bell rung every year.

We wouldn't have the same level of teams in the B12.  Our recruiting base expanded when we left the SWC.  The roster Ford left for Nutt was much bigger and faster than what we had when left the SWC.  The Cotton Bowl in 2000 should have been an eye opener to how we were no longer the small underdogs.  It's why you don't see Morris spending all of his time in Texas recruiting the Longhorn, Sooner and Aggy leftovers.  His time at Clemson has shown him he has to recruit the deep south some too if we don't want to turn into TT and Ok St which would not be good in the SEC.

I do understand being starstruck with Ok St's win totals. 

We took great news about $40.9 million and turned it into another negative about our football program.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 02, 2018, 09:25:35 am
Dumb sir you are
Why?   You want to play less competition so you can get more wins, right?   7 wins in the SEC, 8-9 in the Big12, 12 wins in the Sunbelt, 14 wins and a natty in the FCS.   You want more wins, why stop at 8?

Quit telling yourself we don't understand, we do.  You want to move to the Big 12 because the competiton is easier in your mind, that is a p***y move.  If your gonna wear a dress, go all out.  Wear some makeup and heels, shave your legs and get your hair done.

RME

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 02, 2018, 09:41:52 am
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2011/1990-sec-expansion-southeastern-conference/

"The SEC's area of dominant influence fell short of the footprint desired by many consumer-oriented companies," which Kramer sought as sponsors. To make the "footprint" more sponsor-friendly, Kramer wanted to move into South Carolina, Arkansas and especially Texas. By targeting Texas, Texas A&M and Arkansas, Kramer had effectively declared war on the Southwest Conference, where all three schools were members.

So we bring Petit Jean Meats? Got it.

RME

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on February 02, 2018, 09:43:12 am
Why?   You want to play less competition so you can get more wins, right?   7 wins in the SEC, 8-9 in the Big12, 12 wins in the Sunbelt, 14 wins and a natty in the FCS.   You want more wins, why stop at 8?

Quit telling yourself we don't understand, we do.  You want to move to the Big 12 because the competiton is easier in your mind, that is a p***y move.  If your gonna wear a dress, go all out.  Wear some makeup and heels, shave your legs and get your hair done.

I mean if you're cool with averaging like 6 wins a year, that's all you. I'd rather average 9 and still be in a P5.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2018, 09:41:57 am
We wouldn't have the same level of teams in the B12.  Our recruiting base expanded when we left the SWC.  The roster Ford left for Nutt was much bigger and faster than what we had when left the SWC.  The Cotton Bowl in 2000 should have been an eye opener to how we were no longer the small underdogs.  It's why you don't see Morris spending all of his time in Texas recruiting the Longhorn, Sooner and Aggy leftovers.  His time at Clemson has shown him he has to recruit the deep south some to if we don't want to turn into TT and Ok St which would not be good in the SEC.

We took great news about $40.9 million and turned it into another negative about our football program.

That Cotton Bowl was nearly two decades ago; you still hanging onto that one?  Might I remind you we lost the Cotton Bowl to OU in '02.

Morris has repeatedly said TX recruiting is a key. What are you talking about?

13 of our competitors got the same check. It's not good or bad news; it is what it is.  Big checks don't create W's.  We've been collecting SEC checks for over a quarter century; I've yet to see significant results from all this money.

Davidr295

We wouldn't have the same level of teams in the B12.  Our recruiting base expanded when we left the SWC.  The roster Ford left for Nutt was much bigger and faster than what we had when left the SWC.  The Cotton Bowl in 2000 should have been an eye opener to how we were no longer the small underdogs.  It's why you don't see Morris spending all of his time in Texas recruiting the Longhorn, Sooner and Aggy leftovers.  His time at Clemson has shown him he has to recruit the deep south some to if we don't want to turn into TT and Ok St which would not be good in the SEC.

Everything you just said is 100% wrong.

Davidr295

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on February 02, 2018, 09:43:12 am

LOL, so dumb.

steveaustin69

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 02, 2018, 09:46:41 am
I mean if you're cool with averaging like 6 wins a year, that's all you. I'd rather average 9 and still be in a P5.

Mama always said stupid is as stupid does.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 02, 2018, 09:47:59 am
That Cotton Bowl was nearly two decades ago; you still hanging onto that one?  Might I remind you we lost the Cotton Bowl to OU in '02?

Morris has repeatedly said TX recruiting is a key. What are you talking about?

13 of our competitors got the same check. It's not good or bad news; it is what it is.  Big checks don't create W's.  We've been collecting SEC checks for over a quarter century; I've yet to see significant results from all this money.

Troll elsewhere. 

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 02, 2018, 09:48:18 am
Everything you just said is 100% wrong.

At least have the courtesy to tell me why you believe it is wrong.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2018, 09:50:06 am
Troll elsewhere. 

At least have the courtesy to tell me why you believe it is wrong.

Yeah, that's not trolling, bub.

Unless your definition of trolling is getting called on your, frankly misguided, post and having nothing to say back.

jkstock04

We wouldn't have the same level of teams in the B12.  Our recruiting base expanded when we left the SWC.  The roster Ford left for Nutt was much bigger and faster than what we had when left the SWC.  The Cotton Bowl in 2000 should have been an eye opener to how we were no longer the small underdogs.  It's why you don't see Morris spending all of his time in Texas recruiting the Longhorn, Sooner and Aggy leftovers.  His time at Clemson has shown him he has to recruit the deep south some too if we don't want to turn into TT and Ok St which would not be good in the SEC.

Are you kidding me? Chad Morris is going to put a huge emphasis on recruiting Texas. I can't remember the exact number (someone else probably will) but I believe he said in an early interview we would get 10 plus commits/year there once we got established.

And to your point on the 40.9 million...it gets real old because it is used as a crutch. Win 1 conference game at the conclusion of a 5 year integrity/uncommon rebuild? That's cool because someone made a lot of money!
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 02, 2018, 09:54:14 am
Are you kidding me? Chad Morris is going to put a huge emphasis on recruiting Texas. I can't remember the exact number (someone else probably will) but I believe he said in an early interview we would get 10 plus commits/year there once we got established.

And to your point on the 40.9 million...it gets real old because it is used as a crutch. Win 1 conference game at the conclusion of a 5 year integrity/uncommon rebuild? That's cool because someone made a lot of money!

Do you ignorant -------- not know how to read?  "It's why you don't see Morris spending all of his time in Texas recruiting the Longhorn, Sooner and Aggy leftovers.  His time at Clemson has shown him he has to recruit the deep south some too "

ricepig

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 02, 2018, 09:09:46 am
What do we add to the SEC footprint?

Nothing, but we entered 25 years ago at a different time, so not comparable.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2018, 09:56:27 am
Do you ignorant -------- not know how to read?  "It's why you don't see Morris spending all of his time in Texas recruiting the Longhorn, Sooner and Aggy leftovers.  His time at Clemson has shown him he has to recruit the deep south some too "

But, but, but the emphasis is on TEXAS. THE HORROR.

Atlhogfan1

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 02, 2018, 09:46:41 am
Why does p5 matter?  Either you want to play with the big boys or you don't.

RME

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on February 02, 2018, 10:00:28 am

Because we still have a shot at the playoffs in a P5. And I consider P5 conferences as "the big boys." So there's that.

Would you like to make the playoffs? I know you just wanna make it to the BCS but we really can't do that anymore.

steveaustin69

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on February 02, 2018, 10:00:28 am

Ever heard of this thing called the College Football Playoff?

jkstock04

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2018, 09:56:27 am

Hey ignorant ****, a majority of our recruits will come out of Texas once relationships establish. Which I READ and heard Chad Morris talk about. He even gave an estimated number/year which I can't remember exactly so I won't say.

It is notable that you think otherwise. We will see and revisit...if it is otherwise (similar to Bielema with minimal Texas recruiting success) I'll eat crow. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 02, 2018, 09:48:51 am
LOL, so dumb.
So do you want to play less competion or not?  is the SEC to hard for you?  I know your answer, but lets hear you admit it.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 02, 2018, 10:03:05 am
Hey ignorant ****, a majority of our recruits will come out of Texas once relationships establish. Which I READ and heard Chad Morris talk about. He even gave an estimated number/year which I can't remember exactly so I won't say.

Never disputed this. 

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 02, 2018, 10:03:05 am

It is notable that you think otherwise. We will see and revisit...if it is otherwise (similar to Bielema with minimal Texas recruiting success) I'll eat crow. 
Bret said he came to win SEC schampionships?  You see how that works?  Just because it is said doesn't make true.   

steveaustin69

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on February 02, 2018, 10:04:19 am
So do you want to play less competion or not?  is the SEC to hard for you?  I know your answer, but lets hear you admit it.

Who in their right mind would want to play more competition?  Does Wal-Mart like having Amazon around?

It's not too hard for me; I don't play the games nor am I a coach.  I'd say the SEC is too hard for Arkansas to consistently compete for championships based on their performance the past 25 years.  Seems like a large enough sample of mediocrity to draw a conclusion.

jkstock04

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on February 02, 2018, 10:05:49 am
Bret said he came to win SEC schampionships?  You see how that works?  Just because it is said doesn't make true.   
Ya because Arkansas winning a SEC championship is equivalent to getting kids out of Texas to play here.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on February 02, 2018, 10:04:19 am
So do you want to play less competion or not?  is the SEC too* hard for you?  I know your answer, but lets hear you admit it.

FIFY, & Yes.

ur

Ark and SC weren't the top two that Kramer wanted. Prob the last two. They wouldn't cry if we left or traded with WVa.
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2011/1990-sec-expansion-southeastern-conference/

HeathWimp

Hooray!  I feel so much better about all of those times we got our skulls kicked in last season!
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

go hogues

Quote from: AP85 on February 02, 2018, 09:29:48 am
Get skull drug by the best.....you mean?
Lately, yes. There's no reason we can't be better, though. We have twice the resources of Mississippi State and they have figured out a way to hold their own.

I can't even imagine the negative recruiting used against us, re: "those guys couldn't hack it in a real conference, so they snuck off like a coward to play Iowa State, Kansas and KSU every week. Do you really want to be a part of a team with that kind of mindset?"

:puke:
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

RME

Quote from: go hogues on February 02, 2018, 10:21:17 am
Lately, yes. There's no reason we can't be better, though. We have twice the resources of Mississippi State and they have figured out a way to hold their own.

I can't even imagine the negative recruiting used against us, re: "those guys couldn't hack it in a real conference, so they snuck off like a coward to play Iowa State, Kansas and KSU every week. Do you really want to be a part of a team with that kind of mindset?"

Just gotta try REALLY hard and really BELIEVE we can DO IT!

steveaustin69

"Yeah you'd be in the SEC, but what does that matter if you're sitting at the bottom of the totem pole."

Negative recruiting goes both ways.

HeathWimp

Iowa State would whoop our butt now.  K-State most years.  I do feel good about our chances with KU, though.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Quote from: ricepig on February 02, 2018, 09:05:54 am
Do I? It's all about money and TV contracts these days, we don't add any additional TV sets to their footprint.
Hogville is funny. Some on here claim that Arkansas has a better football tradition than Notre Dame, and others say we couldn't even get into the Big 12 if we wanted.

ricepig

Quote from: Karma on February 02, 2018, 10:37:38 am
Hogville is funny. Some on here claim that Arkansas has a better football tradition than Notre Dame, and others say we couldn't even get into the Big 12 if we wanted.
Which we don't, but you are correct, opinions on HV are funny.

jkstock04

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 02, 2018, 10:28:39 am
"Yeah you'd be in the SEC, but what does that matter if you're sitting at the bottom of the totem pole."

Negative recruiting goes both ways.
With our track record...the past couple of years especially, "negative recruiting" against the Hogs is shooting fish in a barrel. In our society today what happened almost 10 years ago when the program was middle of the road relevant is now essentially...irrelevant. What matters is what is going on "right here and now."

Make no mistake about it, if and when it comes to pass that there is a major conference realignment that makes for an easier path for the Hogs' success (vs being in the SEC West) these same SEC homers will be the first on board.

I can see it now, "Well guys the writing was on the wall there, it just wasn't ever going to happen...this will be 1000 times better."
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HeathWimp on February 02, 2018, 10:35:24 am
Iowa State would whoop our butt now.  K-State most years.  I do feel good about our chances with KU, though.

K St has been no physical match for us.  Slower and smaller. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2018, 10:50:20 am

Great, I'd rather play them every year than any of the SECW.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 02, 2018, 10:55:49 am
Great, I'd rather play them every year than any of the SECW.

We would be smaller and slower too in time if we reduce our recruiting footprint back to the B12's. 

ur

Enrollment with texas kids would skyrocket more than it is now and that is a lot. Kids being able to go home for the weekend and catch a nearby razorback game would be huge. Huge increase in enrollment, texas recruiting, closer away games, plus poss more wins would prob make up for the $4-5 mill difference. I'm okay either way.

RME

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2018, 10:57:30 am
We would be smaller and slower too in time if we reduce our recruiting footprint back to the B12's.

Based on what?

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2018, 10:57:30 am

Am I missing something?  Have our recruiting classes been filled with studs from AL, GA, FL year in, year out?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 02, 2018, 11:02:52 am
Based on what?

Isolating ourselves back into Ar, Tx, Ok and the Midwest wasteland of recruiting. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2018, 11:07:41 am
Isolating ourselves back into Ar, Tx, Ok and the Midwest wasteland of recruiting.

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 02, 2018, 11:04:27 am
Am I missing something?  Have our recruiting classes been filled with studs from AL, GA, FL year in, year out?

Furthermore, A&M had 6 Louisiana players on its roster in its final Big 12 season. They had 6 on their roster last year.

By all means, keep digging that hole.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 02, 2018, 11:08:14 am

Rarely.  But we would be isolating ourselves into the second tier players in just Texas and Ok with a move to the B12.  More limited options and splitting them with the other B12 members. 

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2018, 11:07:41 am

Do you pay attention?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 02, 2018, 11:08:14 am
Furthermore, A&M had 6 Louisiana players on its roster in its final Big 12 season. They had 6 on their roster last year.

A&M gets top tier players in Texas in most classes whether in the SEC or when they were in the B12.  We aren't. 

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 02, 2018, 10:07:50 am
Who in their right mind would want to play more competition?  Does Wal-Mart like having Amazon around?

It's not too hard for me; I don't play the games nor am I a coach.  I'd say the SEC is too hard for Arkansas to consistently compete for championships based on their performance the past 25 years.  Seems like a large enough sample of mediocrity to draw a conclusion.
Do you see Wal Mart running from Amazon?   Is Wal-Mart going leave the retail industry and go to cryptocurrency because it EASIER to compete?   If our football team was made up of guys like you that are afraid of competiton, we wouldn't win one game.   

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2018, 11:16:33 am
A&M gets top tier players in Texas in most classes whether in the SEC or when they were in the B12.  We aren't.

Well the point was that we would likely not lose the Louisiana pull we already have; you clearly missed said point.

HeathWimp

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2018, 10:50:20 am

Bobby beat K-State, and Bert beat them with his best team, which had a lot of Bobby holdovers.  K-State could have named the score against us last year against Bert's "uncommon" choir boys.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2018, 11:15:11 am
Rarely.  But we would be isolating ourselves into the second tier players in just Texas and Ok with a move to the B12.  More limited options and splitting them with the other B12 members.

Are we getting top tier players in SEC states now? Your argument makes no sense.

RME

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on February 02, 2018, 11:18:08 am
Do you see Wal Mart running from Amazon?  Is Wal-Mart going leave the retail industry and go to cryptocurrency because it EASIER to compete?   If our football team was made up of guys like you that are afraid of competiton, we wouldn't win one game.   

I'll take "Terrible Comparisons" for $600, Alex.